[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hrg/ Ham Radio General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_2940.jpg (320 KB, 1200x736) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2940.jpg
320 KB, 1200x736
I'm wondering if it is possible to send on wifi dongle other signal than this from wifi. Could I do something like FM radio on 2,4 GHz using wifi dongle? On raspberry pi I found this https://github.com/ChristopheJacquet/PiFmRds
If I can use GPIO Pin without antenna why not use wifi dongle? And how can I learn about ham radio?
>>
>>54780705
No.

Wifi dongles routers and all RF stuff needs to pass FCC inspections.

This means that it cant send any other signal outside 2.4 - 2.2 GHz.

To learn about HAM get in touch with your local radio amateurs (yes you have them) and they will set you straight.
>>
>>54781235
But could I send whatever that isn't wifi signal via wifi dongle?
>>
>>54781503
No. Anything wifi related uses it's own protocols that wont be compatible with other systems. E.g. bluetooth works on 2.4ghz but wont go anywhere near wifi.
>>
>Get a baofeng
>Illegal to use and own without a license

I can only imagine using these as part of an emergency kit will net you a safe rescue to a jail cell, but I suppose i'm too paranoid with it.

So it's a pretty good $65 FM radio. Until I need something with PMR walkietalkies and such.

The law works great against demotivating curious people, doesn't it? I can understand why it is because its easy to jam various (official) services, but I don't think most people new to hamradios wouldn't do it.
>>
File: 20m-ssb-on-hdsdr[1].jpg (528 KB, 1121x612) Image search: [Google]
20m-ssb-on-hdsdr[1].jpg
528 KB, 1121x612
SDR is a easy hobby to get into.
RTLSDR usb
Upconverter
Longwire
>Listen to the world
>>
>>54781946
But what if I want to send a signal to my friend?
>>
>>54780705
i doubt there's any microcontroller out there that can toggle a GPIO pin at 2.4Ghz. some have an onboard oscillator pinout that you can modulate relatively quickly, but nowhere near fast enough for wifi comms.
>>
>>54781235
>hardware is only made for the usa and no where else
>>
>>54782059
>The concept of RF regulations exists only in the land of freedom and funs.

I mean yeah in EU its not called FCC it's called some French word variation for faggot but the same rules apply, you need a license to operate a radio in Guatemala Somalia and Kazakhstan just as much as you do in the US. And you need a fuck ton of paperwork and a fair bit of dosh to use a national FM frequency. It might seem strange to you neets but a lot of stuff uses radio waves. And if anyone could use any part of the spectrum it would result in chaos. Hence the rules are pretty strict.
>>
>>54782120
He is right, also most countries have very similar general broadcast frequencies few to little differences between most nations
>>
>>54781906
The hell are you on about? They're legal to own and listen, but it's illegal to transmit without a license.
>>
I have a question too, is it possible to send WiFi signal on fequencies that are not 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
>>
>>54781946
Do you have a general guide for beginners to recommend
>>
>>54786856
bump for interest
>>
>>54786856
Just buy a Baofeng UV-5R, join your local radio club and start studying for the exams if you're actually interested.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
If a post contains illegal content, please click on its [Report] button and follow the instructions.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need information for a Poster - you need to contact them.
This website shows only archived content and is not affiliated with 4chan in any way.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 1XVgDnu36zCj97gLdeSwHMdiJaBkqhtMK