[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>finally get a job interview at a decent firm I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 99238293823.png (174 KB, 269x374) Image search: [Google]
99238293823.png
174 KB, 269x374
>finally get a job interview at a decent firm I've been in touch with
>"Oh by the way anon, we've just introduced a new code standard"
>"Two space indentation for all code"
>mfw

Why don't people understand the point of tabs is to avoid this discussion altogether?
>>
>>54776161
benis :DDDDD
>>
>>54776355
>get assignment at uni
>modify provided code
>5 space indentation.

Kill me.
>>
>>54776161
Confiure tab key to insert two spaces. Problem solve.
>>
>>54776425
yeah but the problem is that he's gonna be working with code from all the other developers which has two spaces for indentaiton, and he will have no control over how those files look to him if he wants to use 4 space indentation.
>>
>>54776425
>press tab twice
>inserts four spaces
>press backspace
>delete one space at a time
>alt backspace to delete to the start of the line
>have to reindent again

OR

>press tab twice
>backspace deletes one tab at a time
>reindent as you wish

stop being retarded anon
>>
>>54776467
And?
>>54776507
>not knowing shift+tab
>>
>>54776507
>anon why are you pushing code with tabs to the repo? Didn't you get the memo about the new standard?

The standard should be one tab per level of indentation, so that each developer can choose their own tab width for display.

And do you really expect that when pulling code down that anon should convert all spaces to tabs before he can get started?
>>
>>54776591
Good luck moving lines
>>
>>54776161
>Two space indentation
google does it
>>
>>54776161
This is why you've had so much trouble getting an interview, because you're literally a retarded autist.
>>
>>54776467
>and he will have no control over how those files look to him if he wants to use 4 space indentation.
So use a better editor that can autoformat files on read/write?
>open file
>4 spaces
>file gets saved with 2 spaced
>>
>>54776694
The standard is one tab between each column in a table. You know, tab, table, that's where the word came from.
>>
>>54776161
>Why don't people understand the point of tabs is to avoid this discussion altogether?
This literally makes no difference whatsoever. I'm going to reformat any document I work with with a simple keyboard shortcut so fuck your preferences, bitch!
>>
create a script to replace two spaces with tab character, and back for only the first x characters of each line. done.
>>
>>54779267
Why the fuck would you create a script for this when every real IDE can reformat the document however you want it? Also, that is not a straightforward script to write. Too many edge cases. The IDE developers have already done that work for you.
>>
>>54779318
i only said this because op appears to live in a world where ides don't exist lol
>>
>>54776161
>>finally get a job interview at a decent firm I've been in touch with
Fuck off i can't even get one. somebody kill me now
>>
couldn't you just convert to tabs, edit, then convert it back two 2 spaces?
>>
>>54776934
Google is shit.
>>
>>54776161
>implying 2 space indent is best indent
You will see how inelegant 4 spaces is when you are using common constructs that have 1 line indented after another line indented, like nested for loops, or a for loop combined with if.
>>
>>54781074
it's not that shit. I bet this was OP's cute way to brag that he got an interview at google.
>>
Can't you configure that in your IDE? Eclipse can convert tab inputs into how many spaces you want

inb4 >java
>>
>>54776507
>not using vim
>>
>>54776914
>not knowing alt+arrow keys
>>
>>54781445
this desu senpai
>>
>>54776161
Two space?. You are gonna get eye-cancer with that shit.
>>
>>54776161
Time to dust off that tab-space exercise program you wrote for the K&R exercises.
>>
2 spaces master race
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.