[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm starting a custom project adding water cooling to m
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: jCz1k4C.jpg (669 KB, 2981x2236) Image search: [Google]
jCz1k4C.jpg
669 KB, 2981x2236
I'm starting a custom project adding water cooling to my MSI GT70 laptop. Whenever my temps get around 70 degrees Celsius I start to hear noise in my audio and it gets worse at higher temps.

I've done everything you can imagine with air cooling and I can't get decent fps at anything around 70 degrees so I looked into water cooling. I found out this project someone did and his internals look exactly the same as mine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1k97dq/
http://i.imgur.com/ApTgXqI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jCz1k4C.jpg

I'm getting my aluminum water block in tomorrow but I need some advice about some kind of spacer. The aluminum block is 4cm but as you can see from the picture there are spikes sticking up which are spaced about 3.5cm apart.

Right now I'm thinking of cutting up a soda can to stack em up as a spacer. I can't find anything copper around where I live and it would take another week to order copper shims online.
Anyone here have experience with this sort of stuff? I know copper is better at heat transfer but would this aluminum spacer hurt it all that much? Should I put thermal paste in between each sheet (I should need about 4 total) or should I just stack them or maybe make a long piece and fold it stacked up on itself so it's one continuous piece of aluminum?

I honestly don't have any kind of metal like the guy in the picture used and can't think of anything to buy that would be a good fit. I have no idea what the guy used as his spacer.
>>
>>54772581
>Anyone here have experience with this sort of stuff? I know copper is better at heat transfer but would this aluminum spacer hurt it all that much?
Yes. Flatness/smoothness on a microscopic level trumps material. You're planning on flattening aluminum beverage cans with a hammer and sanding them with your leg hair? Guess what kind of results you'll get.
>>
>>54774747
Well soda cans are extremely easy to get flat just look online for some videos. But I think I've found something. There was a copper pipe I found and used a c clamp to flatten it out.

I got it pretty damn flat and considering the copper heat sinks on already aren't all that flat in the first place then I think thermal paste is going to be key for this project.

Just looking at the picture here from what this guy used there doesn't seem to be all that much surface area coverage between the copper heat sink and the water cooler block anyway and the guy still got really good results.
>>
>>54775026
>I got it pretty damn flat and considering the copper heat sinks on already aren't all that flat in the first place then I think thermal paste is going to be key for this project.
all right, well, best luck to you.
>>
>>54772581
>Whenever my temps get around 70 degrees Celsius I start to hear noise in my audio and it gets worse at higher temps

That's what the warranty is for, idiot.
>>
>>54775071
Obviously it's long past warranty.
You really think I'd be doing this if I could just use the warranty?
>>
File: Chen.gif (195 KB, 689x689) Image search: [Google]
Chen.gif
195 KB, 689x689
>>54772581
> I start to hear noise in my audio and it gets worse at higher temps

An external DAC will fix all of your problems without having to watercool your laptop like a faggot.
>>
>>54775636
Jesus you fucking cunts on this board are the worst holy fuck.

The sound is not the issue it is a symptom of the problem I've read people getting blue screens from ignoring this.

Just forget this thread you guys are just cunts I'm just asking for advice and everything you faggots post is negative. Get laid maybe you guys won't be such assholes and relieve some of that pent up stress.
>>
>>54776590
Serves them and soon you right for buying a gayming laptop instead of an actual desktop.
>>
>>54772581
You done guufed bro, get copper for the love of god, just let someone cut out the exact block you need. You can do it online too.
>>
>>54772581
>he bought a gaymen laptop
Laughingwhores.jpg
>>
>>54772581
"I can't find anything copper"
Pennies.
>>
>>54777706
This
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.