[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016 /05/27/from_ati_to_amd_b
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: LD2kg9Sy.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
LD2kg9Sy.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility

>In the simplest terms AMD has created a product that runs hotter and slower than its competition's new architecture by a potentially significant margin.

IT'S OVER, AMD IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES EVERYWHERE
>>
File: 1449303962917.png (41 KB, 802x799) Image search: [Google]
1449303962917.png
41 KB, 802x799
>>54767252
DELETE THIS
>>
>PUTTING PAJEET IN CHARGE OF YOUR GPUS
>>
File: insecurity.jpg (37 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
insecurity.jpg
37 KB, 1280x720
>>54767252
Wasn't HardOCP biased against AMD anyway?
>>
>>54767252
>TL;DR
Website is butthurt they don't get exclusive intel/hardware from AMD anymore, so they decide to paste some nonsense together to make it seem like AMD is keeping shit low because their new cards are shit.

Did I miss any details after reading everything.
>>
Kyle have a hard-on boner for hating AMD? Read his forum comments and you'll see. He's the editor-in-chief.

I wouldn't trust them to be fair in their articles.
>>
All I'm seeing there is 'We got no free trip AMD is dum'
>>
POO IN THE LOO
O
O

I
N

T
H
E

L
O
O
>>
File: 1401457534480d.jpg (54 KB, 549x592) Image search: [Google]
1401457534480d.jpg
54 KB, 549x592
>>54767343
>>54767347
>>54767350

HARDONCP

>Full disclosure - HardOCP was not invited to this weekend’s launch in Macau as AMD PR has made a decision to no longer brief this site with the rest of the industry

Karma eh. These arseholes were always bashing ATI back in the day. Surprised that shitty site still exists.
>>
> Let’s start with the tension. Koduri was able to wrestle control of the graphics division away during AMD’s last leadership transition after threatening to leave the ship and take a role at Intel, something he's not shy about telling his AMD colleagues. Lisa Su caved and Koduri got the job.

>Letting this Pajeet hold entire AMD company to ransom

TOPPEST LELKEK
>>
Dlet this
>>
>>54767252
>While Koduri is known to have a strong desire to do this by forging a new relationship with Apple on custom parts (no surprise there) for Macbooks, the real focus is on trying to become the GPU technology

>The Polaris 10/11 launch, and all of its problems, are set to become a future problem of Intel’s in what RTG believes will be a lucrative agreement that will allow Koduri and his men to slash the lines from Lisa Su and the rest of AMD.

>With Intel in the midst of a shake-up under their new chief product guy, [Dr. Venkata “Murthy” Renduchintala]

POO....
O......
O.IN...
..N....
....LOO
....O..
....O..
>>
>>54767252
>he thinks I'll click his stupid clickbait

jesus christ Anon, you'll have to do better than this.
>>
>>54767586
basically
>even pooinloo knows there's no hope for amd
>trying to rescue ati back from amd
>motivated by money, doomed to fail
>>
File: litter-box.jpg (31 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
litter-box.jpg
31 KB, 300x200
>>54767343
>>54767330

GET.
POTTY.
TRAINED.
>>
>>54767343
Just some rumors from anti-AMD editor. Can it be trusted? Probably not. He's real butthurt about all this.
>>
>>54767670
I will sir, I'll be laughing at the 31st for you being wrong about AMD sir :)
>>
>>54767444

Koduri is the Keller of graphics processors though.
>>
>>54767708
>Koduri is the Keller of graphics processors though.

who invented this meme
>>
>>54767698
> Ya think?There will be a few folks that call bullshit on this, but let's see how close I am to the mark when the smoke clears. That said, we do not publish articles such as this based on rumors, and never have.

He's risking the entire reputation of his decade old site and his main source of income on this.
>>
>>54767698
>calling out amd
>anti-AMD editor

kek you amd shills are so batshit insane

watch out the boogeyman is going to burn your amd cards

lmao
>>
>>54767725
Ha, the readers will forget about it in a month, while the clickbait will bring in plenty of revenue.
>>
File: AMD-Polaris-Tech-Day-2.jpg (45 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
AMD-Polaris-Tech-Day-2.jpg
45 KB, 720x405
>>54767699
http://videocardz.com/60373/amd-polaris-tech-day-nda-ends-on-june-29th

Jokes on you, NDA ends on June 29th

AYYMD IS LATE AND IRRELEVANT
>>
>>54767725
He'll just say "well this is what my sources say". His reputation is already being trashed due to his anti-AMD stance.

>>54767732
You don't need me to tell you that. You just have to read his forum comment history. If they're deleted, try google cache. There's plenty of evidence there.
>>
>>54767252
POO IN THE AMD LOO
O
O

I
N

T
H
E

A
M
D

L
O
O
>>
>>54767787
All of his post against amd are him calling out amd for being shit, which is a perfectly fine complaint.
>>
File: sleep time.jpg (99 KB, 713x580) Image search: [Google]
sleep time.jpg
99 KB, 713x580
>One just has to look at the uncomfortable interaction between the two on the stage at the recent Game Developers Conference "Capsaicin" event and the body language says it all.

Finally, someone who noticed this.

I swear, /g/ was blind to this. Not one meaty comment on it. You could tell Koduri was wearing out his welcome.
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 1200x675
K Y L E
Y
L
E
>>
>>54767810
That whole conference was horribly awkward and cringy. How could you tell?
>>
>>54767810
AMD WILL BECOME SUPERPOWER BY 2020
>>
>>54767803
If all his AMD posts are like that, then there won't be any point in giving him any AMD products for review. You already know the answer. Its shit.

If this is what excites you, then there are issues.
>>
>>54767858
which just showcases how scared amd is of nvidia, nvidia doesn't cowers like that.

how weak.

meanwhile nvidia is full of confidence they threw 1080 to everyone for free to keep.
>>
>>54767252
this is water cooler gossip.
>>
>>54767858
You want him to lie?
>>
>>54767875
>how weak
>>>/v/

Children's board is that way.

>>54767887
No. Lying is an issue as well. The problem is, his truths are boring. Everyone believes in some sort of truth, if that truth doesn't change, then what is the point in wanting to hear more of his other truths?
>>
>>54767914
Pathetic.
>>
>>54767914
>someone calls amd for what they are
>go back too >>>/v/ bawww

You're virtually the same.
>>
>>54767914
What the fuck are you saying dude. He's a hardware journalist, not a comedian.
>>
>I can already hear the fanboys ripping into my thoughts here yelling about the HardOCP's NVIDIA and Intel bias.
>>
> Full disclosure - HardOCP was not invited to this weekend’s launch in Macau as AMD PR has made a decision to no longer brief this site with the rest of the industry.

kek the salt. It's kitguru all over again.
>>
>>54767951
Journalists become comedians after they lose their credentials.
>>
>>54767322
He was cheap.
>>
>>54767960
This settles it then, he's shilling nvidia and bashing AMD new gen without any base.
>>
>>54767881
>this is water cooler gossip.
fuck off

this is AMD, not water c ooling discussion
>>
>>54767982
>How exactly did AMD try to buy HardOCP off?

>AMD's Chris Hook called me and offered an all expense paid long weekend trip out to San Francisco for my wife and I, and then the first exclusive interview with Raja Koduri and he would hold all press so HardOCP was first. I declined the offer.

https://hardforum.com/threads/from-ati-to-amd-back-to-ati-a-journey-in-futility-h.1900681/page-2
>>
>>54767976
>missing the point entirely

loo
>>
>>54767914
>his truths are boring

if the truth isn't painful, then it's not the truth

good news is actually lying
>>
>>54767252
>hotter and slower than its competition's
85watt
85WATT
it's lower than OC'd cpu Its twice lower than nvidia and it means there's a massive room for clocking.

Nvidia is over.
>>
RED ROSTER ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>54768040
No Pajeet you can not poo in it
>>
>>54768032
Not all truths are painful. Truths that don't change for years become stale and boring. Truths that don't change in the face of different scenarios/events/time/place stay the same.

What do you think he would have rated if he gave a review on AMD Polaris? "Its shit". Vega? "It's shit" Unknown AMD that hasn't even been launched? "Its shit" (see fury series)

This guy deletes comments and bans people calling him out on his shit.
>>
>>54768040
They're stuffing like a billion cores at 14nm. It doesn't matter if it's 85w or 5w. The heat will be so concentrated over such a small surface area that it won't ever dissipate properly.

It's why even the latest 14nm shit from Intel runs hot as hell even with direct die watercooling despite being their most efficient processor ever.
>>
>>54768080
Emotions have no place in the eyes of objective data.
>>
File: long live ATI.jpg (822 KB, 1918x2144) Image search: [Google]
long live ATI.jpg
822 KB, 1918x2144
>>54767252
>AMD ruins everything

Pray tell, how is this news?
>>
>>54768009
"watercooler talk" is a proverb, you moron.
>>
>>54768103
Glad we agree.
>>
>>54768117
Then shut the fuck up about him being boring.
>>
>>54768129
You seem bit emotional. Did I rustle you that much?

Being emotional has no place in objective data.
>>
>>54768129
Kyle, go back to your site. 4chan is a lost cause, they can't see the truth that you see.
>>
POO
O
O
>>
>>54768258

what is overclocked poo. diarrhea?
>>
>>54768147
Telling fags off =/= u mad

>>54768160
thanks bb
>>
>>54767252
>Let’s start with where we are currently. Full disclosure - HardOCP was not invited to this weekend’s launch in Macau as AMD PR has made a decision to no longer brief this site with the rest of the industry.

Holy fuck, you can feel the butthurt when the guy wrote that.

I don't have any preference from either AMD or Nvidia, but for the best bang for buck, but shit...this guy is MAD at AMD as hell it really makes me wonder if its pure hate or Nvidia did pay him to rage at them.

If im correct, there could be a lot of problems for him and the site isn't? He's saying a lot of bad stuff of a multi million dollar company and he doesn't have any proof...i do hope AMD to have a great 400 series launch just to see the backlash at the guy and the site.

Specially the /g/ reaction.
>>
>>54768826

he's one of the view reviewers not afraid to speak his mind and has shat on both nvidia and amd in the past.
>>
Kyle is way off the mark at times but I think he's probably being quite candid here.
>>
GCN's failure is pretty much a direct result of AMD choosing to fire all the white engineers in favor of hiring over 1,000 employees on H1B visas to replace them. TeraScale was a much better architecture overall and would be destroying NVIDIA right now if they had stuck with it.
>>
>>54769016
>VLIW
>post 2010

Come on.
>>
>Where the plot thickens is when you look at the Koduri’s unwavering ambition. Koduri’s ultimate goal is to separate the Radeon Technologies Group from its corporate parent at all costs with the delusion that RTG will be more competitive with NVIDIA and become a possible acquisition target for Koduri and his band of mutineers to cash in when it's sold. While Koduri is known to have a strong desire to do this by forging a new relationship with Apple on custom parts (no surprise there) for Macbooks, the real focus is on trying to become the GPU technology supplier of choice to none other than Intel. While this was speculated some time ago I can tell you with certainty that a deal is in the works with Intel and Koduri and his team of marauders working overtime to get the deal pulled into port ASAP. The Polaris 10/11 launch, and all of its problems, are set to become a future problem of Intel’s in what RTG believes will be a lucrative agreement that will allow Koduri and his men to slash the lines from Lisa Su and the rest of AMD.

If what he's saying is true I think that bodes well for RTG in the future. But AMD might be done and cooked in the CPU business if this happens, considering AMD has relied on the revenue from GPUs increasingly since they lost their share in the CPU market.
>>
>>54767252
That's real fuckin neato. Let's see some sauce.
>>
>>54768966

I've have done my fare share of reviewing hardware in the past.

One thing is to speak of your mind, a thing that i was completely free to do (because all the hardware i reviewed was borrowed from a store, not from the companies themselves)

And another completly different is to just shat on them because they did something you didn't like, imagine if every page did that... /g/ would be the best source for news and reviews!
>It isn't

Kyle eiter REALLY has a very good indeed insider knowledge or is shotting arrows in the sky and hopping for the best, not thinking in legal implications, the image of the site and how the article itself will impact on other sites, on the AMD stock and so on...that's why im really interested in this.
>>
>>54769079

he's not shitting on them because they did something he didn't like... he's shitting on them because AMD, a company that used to be hugely successful and renowned, has been mismanaged into the ground and looted by idiots. now they're trying to market subpar products to maintain relevance instead of putting out something actually decent.

there is a silver lining, however: if intel purchases RTG, we're going to have GPUs produced at intel's fabs, who is an entire generation ahead of every other fab in the industry.
>>
>>54769168
>he's not shitting on them because they did something he didn't like
Why do you think this is the case? All evidence points to this, yet you're very sure of this not being the case. Why is this? Kyle has a history of temper tantrums.
>>
>>54768082
>The heat will be so concentrated over such a small surface area that it won't ever dissipate properly.

This is offset by the fact that the 14nm transistors produce way less heat.

It has been like that since every node jump in computing history.

>It's why even the latest 14nm shit from Intel runs hot as hell

This is the FUD that Intel wants you to believe, when the truth is that they just put thermal paste between the silicon and heat spreader, instead of soldering it, in order to GIVE the processor thermal problems to discourage overclocking.
>>
>>54769205

Because they haven't had a relationship with AMD since roy taylor and the nano fiasco.
>>
>>54768082
wtf? Essentially what you're saying is that every single node shrink causes processors to become hotter. In addition, the heat doesn't scale linearly because this is a FinFet technology, that is, the gates have volume, so effectively it can accept higher currents, that's why they can push clocks so high so quickly on the node shrink for Pascal.

As far as the article goes, the whole "hotter and less power efficient" thing is all just a result of the rumor mill again. Not anything to pay attention to.
>>
>>54769016
>TeraScale was a much better architecture overall and would be destroying NVIDIA right now if they had stuck with it.

Terascale was only useful for password cracking.

If they kept to it, then the Fury X would've had 16000 cores and perform the same as it does today.
>>
>Let's get this out of the way: I'm EXTREMELY fanny-flustered and hate AMD and they hate me and have blacklisted me but this doesn't affect my article in any way I promise
lol nice try
>>
>>54769239

terascale was performing on the level of nvidia's flagships in half the die area, if they had continued that level of gaymen performance they wouldn't be in the world of shit they are today.
>>
>>54769168
>if intel purchases RTG, we're going to have GPUs produced at intel's fabs, who is an entire generation ahead of every other fab in the industry.

If Intel purchases RTG, they'll stop development of all their products so their own Intel GMA tech will not have any market opposition.
>>
File: 234092.jpg (207 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
234092.jpg
207 KB, 1200x900
The trick is to water cool your AMD in a nice clean toilet. This is why AMD users shit in the streets, they can not have the card become dirty with feces.
>>
People should reading Kyle's recent gpu reviews more closely. He has a nasty habit of suggesting a slower gpu is flatout better than a faster one because (in these scenarios) the faster card has been an AMD one.

The last time he pitted a 390 against a 970 the 390 was faster nearly across the board but he basically said "get the 970 because".
>>
>>54769226
You can't just erase someone's anger/bias simply because it was on pause for a year.

And I very much doubt his anger with AMD disappeared without a trace. But you acknowledged that he had past issues with AMD.

Why wouldn't this negative AMD article not be born from his anger with AMD?

His reporting could very well be true, there is literally no way to verify the validity to his article right now. However, there is a validity to his anti-AMD stance. So given what's verifiable and whats not, we can toss out the unverifiable data and we're left with a verifiable data. That data suggest its simply a product of his relationship with AMD.

Am I missing something that you're seeing?
>>
>>54769273
>letting the loo witch get her hands on your GPU
I suppose it could get infused with magic, though.
>>
JEE PEE YOO IN LOO
>>
>>54767252
delete this sir
>>
>>54769299
>However, there is a validity to his anti-AMD stance.

what anti-AMD stance? pretty much every review of an AMD product he's done in the last 10 years has been positive, and he has partnered with AMD for marketing events in the past. if anything, it looks more like AMD has had an anti-reviewer stance in the more recent years due to their subpar product launches. hardocp was not the only site to get shafted by roy taylor.
>>
>>54769258
They were also completely useless for anything other than gaming due to the nature of VLIW, where they put shaders in clusters of 4 or 5 (depending on version), where 1 core can do mostly anything, while the rest can only do one thing. This made them a joke for GPGPU tasks other than serial integer processing, eg. password cracking.

It was also from where the shit drivers meme comes from: the drivers for VLIW cards had to translate the DirectX shader calls in a way so they best utilize all the VLIW cores (instead of just every fifth fully capable core).

That was the entire reason why they switched away from VLIW and to GCN, in order to produce stronger cores which are more useful in GPGPU tasks and therefore have a significantly bigger market.
>>
File: 1460446617979.png (23 KB, 687x598) Image search: [Google]
1460446617979.png
23 KB, 687x598
>mfw my 390x oc runs at 30 degrees idle and 61 degrees full load
>on air
the magic of case fans and a backplate
>>
>>54769339

AMD is already a joke for GPGPU tasks, nobody uses their GPUs for stuff like that despite them being better on paper for most GPGPU work.

>It was also from where the shit drivers meme comes from: the drivers for VLIW cards had to translate the DirectX shader calls in a way so they best utilize all the VLIW cores (instead of just every fifth fully capable core).

all GPU architectures need to translate api calls and shader code to the GPU's ISA, there's nothing specific about that to VLIW architectures.

>That was the entire reason why they switched away from VLIW and to GCN, in order to produce stronger cores which are more useful in GPGPU tasks and therefore have a significantly bigger market.

ironically, it lost them the market entirely. the only GPGPU application AMD ever had a foothold in was bitcoin mining, which was quickly replaced by purpose built FPGAs and ASICs.
>>
>>54767810
do you watch many of such events? they all are like that, some even worse
>>
File: 290x temperature vs power draw.gif (26 KB, 537x781) Image search: [Google]
290x temperature vs power draw.gif
26 KB, 537x781
>>54769361

>61c full load
>not housefire

This is also on air amigo.
>>
It would be physically impossible for polaris to suck, it might run hot, but it's going to have much higher clock speeds than before, and given AMD's superior IPC? for lack of a better word compared to maxwell, they'll be fine.
>>
>>54769384
>trying to reason with a nvidiot
>ever
>>
>>54769423

Except that we already know it sucks. It isn't competing with NVIDIA on the performance front at all.
>>
>>54769361
>>54769384
now run furmark for at least 10 minutes and post results
>>
>>54769462
>being this deluted
>>
>>54769462
It's not supposed to, it's probably going to top out at $300 and give a bit more performance than a 390.
>>
>>54769336
AMD has review blacklist. Nvidia has review blacklist. Those are true statements. However that doesn't mean review sites don't have blacklists either. Kyle has anti-AMD bias. Everyone was him being a child with the whole Fury/Nano shit. The emotional unprofessional articles he wrote in response was unnecessary, nor the back and forth banter between AMD PR guy and him.

Also, you can still do professional articles even if you have anti-AMD bias. This article is pure rumor meant to create FUD just before the launch of AMD's new GPU and CPU. If the AMD Polaris is indeed trash, we'll know in coming weeks with proper benchmarks, until then, "Polaris is trash and runs hotter, slower and uses more power than nvidia" is useless without any benchmark.
>>
>>54769480

Deluded? We've already seen benchmarks. The polaris 10 cards are slower than even the cut down last gen cards like the 980 and the fury non-x.
>>
>>54769462
>durr why isn't a 220mm2 chip competing with a 320mm2 chip

Maybe because one was made to replace midranged and mobile last gen chips while the other was meant to replace highend last gen chips.
AMD's high end is with Vega in October.
And Nvidia's midend is with GP106 in September.
No one has a full lineup, both aimed at different markets.
>>
>>54769373
>AMD is already a joke for GPGPU tasks

Yeah, and that came from VLIW and how they changed driver kernels every fucking week. I was following bruteforcers a lot during the days, the 5k and 6k cards had insane performance in that regard but the applications had to be recompiled basically every driver release.

>all GPU architectures need to translate api calls and shader code to the GPU's ISA, there's nothing specific about that to VLIW architectures.

The difference is that it was significantly easier to translate the calls to Nvidia cores than it was for VLIW, due to the asymmetrical nature of those shaders.

Basically Nvidia shaders were closer to being general purpose cores while VLIW shaders were glorified DSP vector processor clusters set up to do graphics tasks.

This resulted in the drivers being way more crucial for things running fine, and more often caused things to break.

>ironically, it lost them the market entirely. the only GPGPU application AMD ever had a foothold in was bitcoin mining, which was quickly replaced by purpose built FPGAs and ASICs.

They only lost that market because of cryptocurrency mining becoming mainstream, which meant that people with actual hardware know-how started putting serious financial interest in it.

But to their credit, they also MADE that entire market popular due to how ridiculously fast it was to mine on Radeon cards.
>>
>>54769502
Reasoning with nvidiots is useless, why are you even trying?
>>
>>54769497
That doesn't mean that they suck, though. The leaked benches all point to Polaris 10 having 390x performance at half the power draw, and a price point between $200 and $300.

They are killer midrange cards, and midrange cards sell the best.
>>
File: 290x raijintek.jpg (115 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
290x raijintek.jpg
115 KB, 800x592
>>54769456

You'll note picture says R9 200 series in it.

>>54769473

Furmark is a power virus and both Nvidia and AMD throttle their cards in the driver when they detect it running (Nvidia throttles more aggressively mind).

For what its worth the 290x in question looks like this which enables such frosty temps.
>>
>>54769489
>This article is pure rumor meant to create FUD
It's 6th such article since 1080 launch. This one even used recent conference and how awkward it is.(secret:they all are). All of them are baseless, based on speculations, never a source. Meanwhile on Nvidia side all rumors are hush-hush, even the unbelievable prices for new cards are made out to be as a good deal.
Call me paranoid but it's too much.
>>
>>54769502

are you even thinking before you defend AMD? they've literally never released products at a different segment of the market before, they've always positioned themselves in a way to keep nvidia in check and provide some level of competition.

instead now we have a pretty much tacit admission from AMD that they don't have a competitive product, and won't even be trying against NVIDIA.
>>
>>54769585
Are you even thinking before you post?

>instead now we have a pretty much tacit admission from Nvidia that they don't have a competitive product, and won't even be trying against AMD
Talking about P11 and P10 here, Nvidia has nothing to compete in these markets for 4-5 months.
>>
File: Nvidia Pascal Housefire.png (64 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Nvidia Pascal Housefire.png
64 KB, 600x450
>>54769581
And don't forget that they keep saying how good the power draw is for Pascal, when it is Fermi tier garbage in that regard.
>>
>>54767252
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g3eQejGJ_A
>both run at 60fps on medium settings at 1080p
so it can't even handle high settings at 1080p?
>>
>>54769585
AMD focuses on the midrange while Nvidia focuses on the high end.

Midrange is the big ticket price point and nvidia is going to regret not having a 1060 out in time to compete with AMD in the biggest pricepoint where most people buy from.
>>
>>54769606
>Talking about P11 and P10 here, Nvidia has nothing to compete in these markets for 4-5 months.

you mean they have nothing, except for GP 106, 107 and 108? those cards are not going to take 4-5 months to launch, 1080 already has day 1 availability and that's a much larger die than the lower end cards will be and uses scarcly available gddr5x. AMD is not going to get a free ride at the low end, they're going to get fucked.
>>
File: 1449667553850.png (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1449667553850.png
1 B, 486x500
>>54769608

>200w average

That isn't too bad, but I don't look the like of those peaks considering it only has an 8pin connector. It has to be running out of spec somewhere and I hope its not on the PEG. For what its worth AMD (for hawaii onwards) basically doesn't touch the PEG connection at all - its why the 295x2 runs out of spec for its 8pin connectors.

Pic semi related.
>>
>>54769633
Where are these GP10[6-8] GPUs then? Everything so far points out to a September or later launch for them.
>>
>>54769606
Maxwell is more than enough to compete with Poolaris.
Nvidia doesn't need midranged Pascal yet.
>>
DESIGNATED

ASYNCHRONOUS

COMPUTING
>>
>>54769654
Probably in a bin somewhere. They're defective 1080/1070s after all.
>>
>>54769683

Seems to work.
>>
>>54769654

nah, nvidia will launch the 1060 around the same time as poolaris, just like they did in response to the 285 before. since we know amd is launching on june 29th, probably in 2-3 weeks.

gp107 and 108 will probably be mobile junk gpus
>>
>>54769697
There was a rumor that 1060 is actually a GP104 bin as well, very much different from Nvidia's last few gens.
If it's true, while I doubt it, GP104 seems to have quite bad yields.
>>
>>54769633
>1080 already has day 1 availability

Where? I only see it online for sale by resellers charging $1100-1300 for it.
>>
>>54769699
>lower FPS in DX12
>"seems to work"
?
>>
>>54769699
Is that Ashes of Singularity? I didn't click on the thumbnail, but that's what always pops up in these threads.
>>
>>54769744

Well, I guess it should be "seems to work on supporting hardware" which apparently isn't Nvidia hardware.
>>
>>54769224
Source?
>>
Evem Linus got invited, and he's literally on nVidia's payroll

Really makes you wonder what the fuck is wrong with this guy, since he even turned down all AMD's offers for reconciliation
>>
>>54769644
They limited it in firmware for a reason, we will know when more people get the card.
>>
>>54769747
You betcha. It's always the few same amd shills

>the fag that loves to post his shitty 290x with a 5 slot cooler
>the fag that posts "Nvidia cannot into compute" despite Nvidia dominating 100% of the hpc market
>the toms hardware power consumption faggot
>the fag that always loves to talk about die sizes, mm2, vliw, etc
>the fag that only posts the Nvidia kid jpg and directs people to /v/
>the crossfire scaling faggot, despite crossfire never works

Probably a few more that I forgot, but they're usually here to talk about the same things over and over again.
>>
POO
O
O IN
N
LOO
O
O
>>
>>54769817
did you see his photo?>>54767825
>>
>>54769817

He is too stubborn to admit he fucked up and is now reaping the rewards of his actions.

Fun Fact: during the nano drama Kyle banned a guy on his forums who was doing a sponsored build log with the nano. The reason given was (iirc) "hardocp is not a nano focused community".
>>
File: old man huang.jpg (25 KB, 475x324) Image search: [Google]
old man huang.jpg
25 KB, 475x324
>>54769855

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
>>
>>54769855
>tfw got 290X for $220 a year ago
>tfw it reks the $300-500 nvidia cards
>tfw it reks the $700 nvidia gpu in dx12 games
>>
>>54769804
>Source?

All of their K series CPUs had thermal grease under the hood - plenty of people delidded them ever since the Ivy Bridge was found out to be using it. Only the Extreme Edition ones stick to using solder.
>>
>>54769887
He trashed the thread. He didn't ban the op. He bought it back after complaints.
>>
>>54769916

Xeons are all soldered because they are the chips sold to companies who have the sort of muscle to give Intel a slap if they sell defective products.
>>
>>54767252
I mean, the best 1080p value for money card is from AMD with the r9 380 shitting all over the gtx960 at the same price point.

1080/1070 is just a refresh and isn't delivering anything more than the minimum incremental increase.

Polaris is just around the corner and Zen is expected by the end of the year.

But sure, AMD is dead and bankrupt and you're not bias at all.
>>
>>54769939
i3s are soldered as well. Hell nearly all of their CPUs are soldered, except the K series since the Ivy Bridge.
>>
>>54769940

380 only shits on the 960 if you have a high end CPU to pair it with. in real world low-end builds the 960 is pretty much always a better choice.
>>
>>54767252
> Now what we have is a dysfunctional and acrimonious relationship between the CEO and the head of the Radeon Technologies Group.
>One just has to look at the uncomfortable interaction between the two on the stage at the recent Game Developers Conference "Capsaicin" event and the body language says it all.

Holy shit, what the fucking hell is this?
>>
File: e.png (1010 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
e.png
1010 KB, 2880x1800
I never realized how many nvidia shills there were in /g/ until I came to this thread
>>
>>54769967
How many people who care enough about gaming to spend $200 on a graphics card are pairing it with a low end CPU? The majority of people buying a "sweet spot" card like the 380 or 960 are going to be paring it with an overclocked i5 or similar.
>>
File: 328624-lisa-su.jpg (34 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
328624-lisa-su.jpg
34 KB, 275x275
Ara Ara~ Pajeet-kun Lisa here desu

Is Poolaris vedy
>>
>amd graphics cards run cooler
>amd graphics cards run quieter
>amd graphics cards perform beter
>amd graphics cards have drivers
amd graphics cards always behind
>amd graphics cards winning
amd graphics cards made in a toilet
amd graphics cards cause housefires
>amd graphics cards customers are smart

AMD officially finished

can't defend this, no arguments left, losing to 1060 and 1070

top kek
>>
>>54767743
It could mean that the reviews are out by 29th June.
This pretty much solidify the rumors that AMD will do a full, pc-centric, physical showcase in E3.

>Computex - Announcement, official names and numbering for Polaris
>E3 - Demo, Showcase, AIBs
>Previews and leaks n stuff between 17th to 28th June
>29th June full review out
>>
>>54770121

Thats not a bad plan to blitz the gaming media and get some of the plebs who follow Nvidia blindly (due to marketing) looking towards AMD. Marketing has been AMD's weakpoint for a long time but its certainly trying to turn things around.
>>
>>54770121

>he waits until 29th to get disappointed again

retarded AMDrone

There is nothing to check or benchmark
All their polaris shit has been leaked and confirmed to be shit

>>54770141

delusional for even thinking for one moment that AMD has a plan in anything

kill yourself
>>
>>54770156
Right, amd has nothing. The 1080 heatsink leaked several months ahead of the actual launch. If Polaris is ready for distribution on June 29 we would've seen it by now.
>>
>>54770156
To be honest I am also playing waiting game with Nvidia.
Where the fuck is Vulkan patch for Doom Nvidia? Stop holding it back and release it already.
GTX1080 already sold out everywhere, so you guys have less shit to worry and just release the damn thing already.
>>
>>54767796
>not poo intel loo
>>
>>54770201
Who cares? People already beat the game a month ago. It only benefits amd to release a Vulcan patch.
>>
>>54770244
I know right?
Reviews are out, cards already on shelf etc.

Should we expect the patch this weekend? Seems likely.
>>
>>54770201

>vulkan

id software came to nvidia to literally blow their nuts on stage of dreamhack to not get btfo completely because their shit game sells like shit
therefore present it in vulkan and pretend in will be avaible on launch
Nvidia doesnt give a fuck about id - they just need some footage to show off their new gpu
wheter vulkan will be avaible with doom soon or not is up to id fags
>>
>>54770263
id fags stated in the demo that it'll be “really, really shortly after launch” during the showcase anon.
Were already gone beyond what could be defined as really, really shortly.
>>
>>54769633
>day 1 availability
Sold out in minutes. At a low volume $700 price point.
I didnt know that barely a few thousand (at best) really counts for "availability" in any way beyond a technical definition. Any company needs hundreds of thousands of units just to recoup production cost. We won't see those kind of numbers (for full p104) for months.

Day one availability indeed.
>>
>>54771141

>Day one availability indeed.

Nvidia said it so it must be true.

Meanwhile a drunken tahi hooker told me polaris may or may not be delayed thus it r a fact.
>>
>>54771141
You even seen a long line at the club then you get in and theirs are 5 people in there? Thats Nvidias product release.
>>
>>54769654
nigvidia probably could release them right off the bat, but a personal hunch is that they probably can't compete that well against polaris. after all, nvidia could afford to release pascal immediately because there needed very few architectural tweaks on maxwell, simply split the SM's, shrunk the node so they could overclock it, and slap some cool software on there and they wanted to secure more "mindshare", which they inevitably will. amd's cards should be production ready at this point, but they probably need to wait until their shitty drivers finish baking
>>
>>54772279
If 1060's are even more harvested GP104's like we're expecting there's no way Nvidia can release them in any decent volume now.
>>
>>54768018
was this after HOCP complained about not getting a free fury?
>>
>>54767942
you want to send a 600$ gpu to someone who regardless of price point, size, performance will call it shit, or do you give it to people who will fairly benchmark the card?

amd made the right call, and seeing the cuntish attitude he had after being told "you won't get a pre release card" amd made the right call.
>>
>>54767252
>hardocp
lol
>>
>>54769519
all i want is 1 video editor that works with an amd gpu.

shit use to work on my 5770, but once i got my 280x all gpgpu in this regard died and i have no fucking clue how to get it back. anyone have any idea?
>>
>>54769502
october isn't happening for vega, where the fuck did this rumor even stem from anyway? at best we will get a look at it by then.
>>
>>54767252
Now we have a monopoly on our hands, excellent
>>
>>54773790
Yeah as much as I'm a fan of Nvidia I don't want AMD to fuck up like this.

I don't want the consumer GPU market to end up like the CPU market where we only have incremental upgrades each generation
>>
File: poo.jpg (65 KB, 876x416) Image search: [Google]
poo.jpg
65 KB, 876x416
>>54773790
Did you even read the article? Kyle is speculating that Intel might buy ATI.
>>
>>54767252
Now we have a monopoly on our hands, excellent
>>
File: AMDisback.jpg (31 KB, 635x385) Image search: [Google]
AMDisback.jpg
31 KB, 635x385
>>54767252
AMD IS FINISHED!
>>
>>54774291
Wow, they might actually hit $6-7 in July.
>>
>>54774306
Yep! I was trying to buy 5k in stocks but I cant do it yet. I seen some guy on /g/ making a good amount of cash on AMD stocks. I was I was him.
>>
>>54774352
I wish I was him*
>>
>>54770000

sell sell sell sell

stock's gonna plummet after we get leaks from AMD event
>>
>>54770000
YOU! YOUR THAT GUY!!! I FUCKING WISH I WAS YOU.
>>
>>54767252

>make a GPU on a smaller node
>make it 50% smaller than the competitors high end tier cards that just released
>super asshurt Nvidia shrill website posts sourceless claim because AMD has banned them for their shilling
>>
>>54769744
Works well considering it is one generation behind. Use your noodle.
>>
>>54774802

4870 redux when?

>soon
>>
>>54769744
What percentage of games are DX12 exclusive again? (no dx11 mode)

Oh yeah that's right, none
>>
>>54774545
What guy?
>>
IN THE LOO
>>
File: 1443122545653.gif (980 KB, 305x320) Image search: [Google]
1443122545653.gif
980 KB, 305x320
I hope Poolooris manages to be frosty cool as the Pajeets say it will be. I'm tired of my 95 degrees 290x.
>>
>>54775189
Water-cool that bitch. One of my clients came in with a triple Crossfire(!) Powercolor 290X/390X build and I water-cooled the fuck out of them.
They went from heat-throttled to running at a decent 65 degrees at load using a single 240mm radiator, 4 Yate Loons at 9V, and sharing the loop with an overclocked 4960X.
>>
>>54775189
I have a 980 Ti OC'd and I'm not far behind you at 85c
>>
File: amd.png (232 KB, 2288x780) Image search: [Google]
amd.png
232 KB, 2288x780
>>54774545
Its been a wild ride
>>
>>54767252

I read that earlier today, and I'm amused that he doesn't have any concrete data to support any of it. It's all, "I heard stuff from people who heard stuff." I'm sorry, you'll need a lot more than that to convince me. HardOCP seems like an idiotic gamerbro site anyway. I'm not surprised they lack journalistic integrity.
>>
File: AMD.jpg (17 KB, 816x138) Image search: [Google]
AMD.jpg
17 KB, 816x138
>>54770000
>>54774545
>>54775337

"Don't buy AMD anon, they're finished & bankrupt."

kek
>>
>>54768104

So looking like a dyke is hot?
>>
>>54775791
nicee
>>
>>54767252
>Bragged about hanging up on AMD conference calls
>Shits on AMD whereever he can
>Acts surprised when they don't invite him anymore
Why does this faggot still have a job?
>>
POO
>>
Holy shit amd might actually be finished. The memes are real.

Now all that's needs to happen is samsung buying up ati and there will finally be some good competition in the market.
>>
>>54767252
>gpus literally designed by pajeet

el oh el
>>
>>54777445

You're just salty that Indians are taking your jerbs.
>>
>>54769502
Even the uber amd shill adored tv has disproved that stupid theory of vega bring out in October using amds own publications and interviews. Vega won't be out for 8 months to a year at least.
>>
>>54777467
nah im medical master race

besides i wouldn't care if they actually did a good job tho, but the results speak for themselves

P O O
O
O
>>
>>54775893
If your down syndrome addled brain thinks that's what a dyke looks like then yes.
>>
File: 1461001560165.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1461001560165.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>54775337
Damn son.
I remember you.

Glad to see you didn't actually lose 3.5 grand.
>>
File: kel.jpg (112 KB, 648x648) Image search: [Google]
kel.jpg
112 KB, 648x648
>>54777819
>>
>>54778147
dat hoe tho
>>
>>54778147
delete this

breaks my heart every time I look at it
>>
>>54774291
If anything their demo seemed to impress investors at least. With both zen and polaris.
>>
>>54775233
>All on a single 240
Why a single 240? Why not 2x360 or 2x240?
>>
>>54779749
story?
>>
>>54778147
who is she and what has she done?
>>
>>54780658
Nothing of importance, like most females.
>>
>>54769964
You guys they made the K series with thermal paste because people were cracking cores with 3rd party coolers.
>>
>>54768082
Umm the wattage is literally the heat output, if it's 85w then it will not produce more heat than the nvidia cards which are 150-180w
>>
>>54780658
Self proclaimed feminist got abused on camera for money and came back for more twice over.

The kicker is her parents are filthy fucking loaded.
>>
>>54780775
Not entirely. Heat concentration and the inability to disperse properly can cause a cycle of heat. Heat breeds heat.
Though for the most part you are correct, its not 100% true.
>>
>>54769940
Only problem is the 380 uses like twice as much power and puts off twice as much heat as the 960 for like a few extra fps
>>
>>54780797
Only the best of coolers use advanced dissipation technologies like vapor plates (a.k.a chambers)
We'll see these become more common with smaller and smaller process nodes.

With that said, while 28 > 14nm sees a 20-25% increase in heat density, the raw numbers are ~.40w > ~.525w per mm2
>>
>>54780792
Ahh.. She's half-asian right? Name
>>
>>54780815
Massive cpu overhead too. Put a 960 and a 380 in an i3 rig and the 960 will outperform it every single time.
>>
>>54780792
>>54780828
Nevermind, I found her name after a few searches.
>>
>>54780815
why did this shit started after maxwell? you brainwashed by marketing fucks keep spouting this meme knowing well enough it's irrelevant in consumer market
>>
>>54780883
Not everyone gets free electricity.

When it's fucking 95 degrees out every single watt matters because it'll determine if your 5000w ac gets turned on or not.
>>
>>54780883
Umm how is it irrelevant?

I literally replaced my r9 390 with a GTX 970 because the heat was so bad on the AMD card.
>>
>>54780954
>if your 5000w ac
do you have AC from 50s? or industrial grade size of a small truck?
>>
>>54767252
I don't care what side of the red vs. green debate you fall on, this "editorial" is straight up embarrassing to read.
>>
>>54780994
Does it matter? Even the most efficient ones consume a fuck ton of power. It wouldn't make the original point any less true.
>>
>>54780989
>Umm how is it irrelevant?
directly, if card within it's operational temps it's irrelevant as for pc temps as well for room temperature, only real concern is sound solution: buy a proper brand and not some cheap shit
i'm not going to even bother doing the electrical bill math it was done several hundred times it matters only if you run several hundreds of these cards in an office/server
>>
>>54781023
The difference in heat output between a 960 and a 380 isn't going to make that big a difference unless you're living in a heavily insulated 12 by 12 apartment or something.
>>
>>54781037
Every 50w will raise the temperature of the surrounding area by 3 degrees, if you actually care about your comfort then it matters.
>>
>>54769699
>DX12 ASIC
hahahhaah
>>
>>54781048
Also the more heat output, the louder the fans will have to be.
>>
>>54780954
Oh fuck off, the heat output of a 200W card and a 280W in a room are negligible, are you afraid of turning on a single lightbulb as well? Because that's another 60-100W of heat.
>>
>>54774306
My most ambitious guesstimate was 5$ by the end of the year
>>
>>54781069
>are you afraid of turning on a single lightbulb as well? Because that's another 60-100W of heat.

Lol my lightbulbs use 9w
>>
File: 1462347367728.jpg (3 KB, 125x110) Image search: [Google]
1462347367728.jpg
3 KB, 125x110
Poolaris
>>
>>54781023
my cheap ass chinese ac consumes less than 3kwh under full load, and it never runs at full load for more than hour
>>
>>54781069
>200W card and a 280W in a room are negligible

Not true at all, that can be like a 5 degree difference.
>>
>>54781048
>Every 50w will raise the temperature of the surrounding area by 3 degrees

Ahahaha.
Yeah, if you're in 2 square foot with the GPU near your face.
>>
>>54781079
not in temperature, go light it for 30 mins and then touch it
>>
>>54781090
To be fair, that's how much space Nvidia gives their shills in their little cubicles.
>>
>>54781048
woah, do you live in a 2x2m toilet?
>>
>>54781096
The wattage is literally the heat output
>>
>>54781047
Nvidia idle is like 5w while amd idle is like 80w. Heat accumulates and adds up.

>>54781069
The 980 is 180w, wtf are you taking about?
Also modern CFL bulbs use around 10w, only incandescent bulbs use 60w. You clearly have no idea what on you're rambling about.
>>
>Every 50w will raise the temperature of the surrounding area by 3 degrees

Nvidiots, everyone.
A human body produced around 100W just idling, does that mean a room gets 6 degrees hotter with someone inside?
>>
File: lol.png (22 KB, 400x401) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
22 KB, 400x401
>>54781123
>A human body produced around 100W just idling
>>
File: 170px-Gluehlampe_01_KMJ.png (59 KB, 170x282) Image search: [Google]
170px-Gluehlampe_01_KMJ.png
59 KB, 170x282
>>54781114
>modern CFL bulbs
Enjoy your migraines and eye cancer.
Or are you one of those nanny states that banned glorious incandescent bulbs?
>>
>>54781143
OK it's time for you to go.
>>
>>54767960
>inb4 getting called out
>>
>>54781143
I'm sorry you have defective genes and are forced to use cuck technology.
>>
>>54780792
Post the sauce.
>>
>>54781168
Delicious, his state actually doesn't let him buy a lightbulb.
>>
>50W of heat = 3 degrees Celsius hotter room

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>54781112
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-1Yu8Ogejg
>>
File: power_bluray.gif (67 KB, 400x1227) Image search: [Google]
power_bluray.gif
67 KB, 400x1227
>>54781185
?

Why are you trying to change the subject? I have no desire to purchase obsolete technology.

I do find it ironic an AMD cucksucker is trying to pass incandescent bulbs off as good while several vastly efficient alternatives already exist at the same cost.
>>
>>54781216
>have a 2000W heater
>tfw room is 140C
>>
Figured. AMD delivers one thing reliably: Disappointment.
>>
>>54781234
Yes, because energy efficiency is what's important, not the effect on your health or quality of lighting.
It's always nice to know Nvidiots would rather trade their health for a $2 less a month electricity bill.
Or maybe you live somewhere where you pay $5 for a kWh, then I can understand your predicament.
>>
File: 1259236944985.jpg (88 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1259236944985.jpg
88 KB, 600x600
>>54781222

>76-176
>>
>>54781248
now you're just making embarrassing claims because you refuse to accept your ignorance on the power consumption of basic appliances

what a child
>>
>>54781303
Health effects of CFL bulbs are well documented, also it's well known they have issues with cold weather and provide worse lighting than incandescent ones.
Sorry son, but I'm not the one screaming how a few watts are Satan.
>>
File: incandescent-led-cfl.png (92 KB, 640x382) Image search: [Google]
incandescent-led-cfl.png
92 KB, 640x382
>>54781330
>Health effects of CFL bulbs are well documented
works for me :^)
>also it's well known they have issues with cold weather
lol that's your argument? your livingspace isn't climate controlled?

>and provide worse lighting than incandescent ones.

what does that even mean?

>Sorry son, but I'm not the one screaming how a few watts are Satan.
... what?
>>
>>54781367
>Works for me
That's not an argument
>lol that's your argument? your livingspace isn't climate controlled?
Because the only place to use bulbs is inside your house, right.
>what does that even mean?
Incandescents are known for their warm light, which looks particularly good against skin tones, CFL not so much, the light is less 'healthy'
>>
>>54781391
>>54781367
Maybe this will explain better.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.