[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>design everything then code vs >code and design as we go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 1441677883892.gif (506 KB, 481x303) Image search: [Google]
1441677883892.gif
506 KB, 481x303
>design everything then code
vs
>code and design as we go
>>
>design
>prototype
>design
>throw away prototype
>start real project
>>
>>54762396
Design then code, but accept that your design will be flawed and you'll have to change some things.

Design should take about 90% of the time, while implementation takes the other 90%.
>>
File: 1323080459002.jpg (11 KB, 424x288) Image search: [Google]
1323080459002.jpg
11 KB, 424x288
>>54762396
>>>>apt on gentoo
>>
>design everything
>ignore design
>>
>>54762412
This, you can't possibly hope to get project right on the first try.
>>
>>54762432
>implying it isn't debian with the hostname set to gentoo to appear 1337
>>
>>54762458
s/on.+$/ever

ftfy
>>
Design
Shove in the code to get it done
Find the good scalable shit and redo the rest
>>
File: Otto_Suicide_Scene.gif (2 MB, 320x181) Image search: [Google]
Otto_Suicide_Scene.gif
2 MB, 320x181
>sudo rm -rf /user
>>
>>54762535
what is this gif from
>>
>>54762396
Gentoo doesn't use apt-get, stop posting this retarded shit
>>
>>54762542
MakeAGif.com :^)

Stalingrad.
>>
>>54762564
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54762396
you guys should stop jacking off to sicp and read a software engineering book.
>>
>>54762396
Start with initial design and concept that get the base functionality down. Build a bare bones version of your project then from there add upon it (with more planning), if your design is strong it should support being extendable and any necessary refactoring needed. Keep in mind it'll never be perfect and we're all prone to having to make choices that will have their pros and cons.
>>
>>54762416
That's not how percentages work.
>>
>>54762396
I'm not sure that I understand the latter. How would you code without knowing what to code?
>>
How do you guys design?
I usually start out by writing function signatures, classes, structs etc in header files, then I get to the implementation once I'm happy with that.

I'm not very good at designing any other way, or more like I don't know how to do it any other way.
>>
>>54762432
>Implying apt and dpkg can't be installed on a Gentoo system.
>>
>>54762396
Why wouldn't you use Scrum?
>>
Design then code.

It's either that or you end up with a fucking messy tangle that you have to rewrite from scratch anyway. Even still, designs often end up fairly messy.
>>
do {
design_it();
prototype_it();
break_it();
} while( its_broken );
complete_it();
publicise_it();
release_it();

For important things, that loop takes a lot of iterations. I'm over 10 years into this project and there's a lot of broken prototypes and protocols.
>>
I remember reading some study on this from Stanford, I think it was, and the "best" programmers just did a little of both then repeated IIRC
>>
>>54763747
Analyse
>is there even a fucking need for this software, how fucking long will it take for me to code it
>write down some requirements

Design
>write down classes and functions on paper

Program

Test

Repeat the last four steps until im happy
>>
>>54762542
Frasier. Niles finds out that Martin fucked Daphne and kills himself.
>>
>>54763774
Have fun never releasing anything
>>
>dribbble
-
>github
>>
>>54762396
What does "design" mean here?
>>
>>54762396
I like to have at least a basic design before I start coding.

You want to know what at least your core features are going to be first and a rough idea of how you want to present them or else your code is going to be a shambles.
>>
>>54762396
I'd rather prefer an iterative process, OP

>figure out what needs to be done
>design new feature or refactor old feature
>implement feature
>test and debug
>repeat from top
>>
>>54762396
prototype modularly
implement module
prototype modularly
implement module
prototype modularly
implement module
mash it all together later
>>
>>54762535
>/user
>>
>>54762396
>write code
>refactor
>refactor
>refactor
>refactor
>refactor
>>
>tfw I thought that you were talking about UI and not code design the whole time
>>
check requirement
define specification
design
develop
debug
test
release
>>
I like the tracer bullets method. Get the bare minimum in place to just get something running. Just get a proof of concept running and connect the dots as loosely as possible. Then I do a proper design on whatever is left to do and can work through that design pretty predictably.
>>
>>54762432
>>>>>apt on gentoo
You wish.
>>
>>54762563
we know you autist. The joke is that only the hostname is gentoo to appear leet to fellow neckbeards
>>
>>54762581
Are you slightly rused by le 4chan smiley face? :^)
>>
File: oi.jpg (16 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
oi.jpg
16 KB, 235x235
>>54762396
design, code, design, code some more, edit designs, trow away code, design, some new code, frustration fap, design, code, ...
>>
>>54765559
>>
>>54768348
;^D
>>
>>54768577
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.