[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Office on Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (39 KB, 332x328) Image search: [Google]
image.png
39 KB, 332x328
Hey /g/, I'm switching from Windows to Fedora, and was just wondering what the best software is to replace Microsoft Office. The issue is that my university only accepts .doc or .docx files, and I don't want to spend time fixing the format between open/Libreoffice and Word. I was thinking of using Google Docs via chrome, but I want to make sure I can work offline. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>54762091
I haven't had any issues with libre office, though other anons may contradict me.

Another, albeit more basic, option is abiword, and there's also open office.

Has anyone tried running Microsoft office in wine?
>>
>>54762112
OP here. I researched it, and you can definitely run Office '07, but (and I know this is a technicality) my school gives me a copy of Office 2010, which doesn't run well via wine.
>>
>>54762091
libreoffice works fine most of the time
office365 should work fine
installing word into a VM or wine

I run my university provided office in a Windows 8.1 VM so I don't spend time fucking around with this stuff
I still use Linux everyday for my personal computing, but Its easier to just use Windows for my university work
>>
if you are just writing papers in word, libreoffice writer is decent.

calc and impress are SHIT though, so if you use spreadsheets a lot or want to make a presentation, just run ms office in a vm
>>
>>54762152
Would you say it's possible to just completely switch over to Linux and continue working normally? I know Windows is the standard when it comes to documents and presentations, but I'm done with Windows on my laptop, and it's the only computer I have.
>>
>>54762185
That's why I'm wondering about using Google Docs. It's just being able to use it offline when I'm on the train.
>>
>>54762091
use ms office online
>>
>>54762091
Fixing LibreOffice to always save as .docx is as easy as:

Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Document Type, choose "text document" > Always Save As, choose Microsoft Word 2007-2013 XML

You can do the same for spreadsheets and presentations.
>>
>>54762188
I've been using linux distros everyday for around 3 years as my personal OS and if you work in a environment
that uses linux/foss software then it sure is possible.
but don't try and shoehorn Linux into doing everything for you, just use the right tool for the job and you will be much happier

The only time I use windows now is to play games with my brother occasionally or for my previously mentioned
Windows VM to use Word/Excel/Powerpoint and when I need to use Windows for compatibility issues with some of my courses.
>>
>>54762197
If you have the official Google extensions n shit you can use docs offline
>>
>>54762231
Holy shit, I forgot that with my school copy, I have access to the online office, thank you!

>>54762244
That will be better for working offline, then I can continue working on it on office when I get back online.

Thanks, guys!
>>
>>54762250
I completely understand. I've just realized that lately all of my courses (I'm in my third year) require essays or analytic papers rather than presentations. That's why I was just trying to see what I could do to ensure I wouldn't run into (as many) problems.
>>
Libreoffice works has no issue with 98% of .doc, the percentage drops off for .docx.

As others have said, excel spreadsheets in Calc and Powerpoints in Draw are pretty much shit in Libreoffice. So run a virtualbox VM when for when you need to work with WinOffice crap.
>>
>>54762284
Gotcha, really appreciate it!
>>
>>54762146
Office word, excel and pp 2010 confirmed works on linux and I used it
>>
File: cap.png (88 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
88 KB, 1366x768
Just werks, and since you can save the state of the whole VM you can continue to work right away, no need to re open 10 files and set everything up again.
>>
>>54762091
Also WINE = XP
>>
>>54762363
That's fantastic! I really do appreciate it. I've worked with Linux via dual booting before just to play around with it, but I was really impressed with just how smoothly it ran, so I'm trying to dive into it as the sole OS.
>>
There's also WPS Office, which seemed to work flawlessly the whole two days I needed it. If you're in a uni, they should have a way to run software remotely via Citrix Receiver or some-such.
>>
File: New_Delhi_call_cen_1780413b.jpg (68 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
New_Delhi_call_cen_1780413b.jpg
68 KB, 620x388
Excuse me nigger but I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another communist component of a fully desu GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by CUKIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a delirious turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Sincerely,

Dr Linus Stallman
>>
>>54762112
I've had this weird spacing issue with Japanese and numbered bullets. It's fine 1-9, but starting at 10, there's this space that comes after the ")" that I can't remove.
>>
>>54762112
>I haven't had any issues with libre office
That's the same for me, except bullets and numbering doesn't work as expected sometimes and the document looks horrible.

Also, docx saved in LibreOffice sometimes doesn't work well on windows. (table entries have greyish highlighting)

I copypasta into MS Office Online / Google docs before the final file to be submitted.
>>
This is all extremely helpful to know, and really thank you all!
>>
>>54762725
This board is still doing this?
>>
>>54766186
Stfu and install gentoo
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.