[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please explain the difference between a kernel and an OS. I looked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 16GB_ram_meme.png (145 KB, 1163x342) Image search: [Google]
16GB_ram_meme.png
145 KB, 1163x342
Please explain the difference between a kernel and an OS. I looked around and am still not sure exactly what that is. The kernel just seems like a base operating system.
>>
hey glad i could help OP.
>>
>>54746532
Ok, but if the kernel does all of that why do you need an OS. It seems like unnecessary packages.
>>
>>54746572
every OS has a kernel, it is how the software in the OS can communicate with the hardware.
>>
>>54746628
>every OS has a kernel, it is how the software in the OS can communicate with the hardware.
I thought that was drivers?
>>
File: 1459317367554.png (190 KB, 2270x334) Image search: [Google]
1459317367554.png
190 KB, 2270x334
>>
File: IC27065.gif (12 KB, 450x91) Image search: [Google]
IC27065.gif
12 KB, 450x91
Think supply chain.

The supplier is the kernel, the retailer is the user interface, the whole process is the operating system.
>>
An OS requires there to be user I/O, which a kernel doesn't traditionally have. I/O is in the form of a 'shell' which can either be text based, or graphical. Shells come in the form of programs which run on top of the kernel and use the kernel to allocate memory and interface with devices via system calls.

What a lot of people don't realize is that the Linux kernel actually does have its own shell and utilities, and is an entire OS on its own. The shell just usually isn't compiled into the kernel in most mainline distros which favor things like grub-recovery or backup initrd images with debug shells.
>>
>>54746662
The OS calls user space functions to access the kernel (kernel space), which in turn accesses hardware via drivers.
>>
>>54746509
>>54746572
>>54746662
pretty lonely tonight, huh?
>>
>>54746765
What projector are you demoing mate?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.