[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wireless Networks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: wireless-network-1a.jpg (24 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
wireless-network-1a.jpg
24 KB, 360x240
How do wireless networks, work?

Like how can computers coordinate the transmission of data without wires? Radio is analogue obviously so how does it happen?
>>
CSMA/CA
>>
>>54742061
Go back to 7th grade IT class
>>
>>54742143
I never had any IT classes in school so i want to learn fucker
>>
"Radio" is not an analogue. Computers send electromagnetic waves on the area of the EM Spectrum we label as "radio". They use them to send data between themselves and the router (network's source). Recommend you ask this on /r/explainlikeimfive to get a better answe
>>
>>54742152
Too broad a topic too explain here brah, find some nice books (isnt too hard to find), otherwise there are lots of YouTube videos out there explaining it
>>
>>54742061

it's a conspiracy by the reptilians

the earth is flat and god did it
>>
>>54742061
It literally works the same as a standard radio you have in your car. It only works at a much higher frequency, ie 2.4GHz.
>>
>>54742206
This OP, you know how a radio plays back sound that it receives on the radio waves?
You are right in that the sound is transmitted in an analog format, a continuous wave.

Now imagine that there is a device that reads *any* wave above a certain amplitude as 1 and any wave below another arbitrary amplitude as 0. They are spaced far enough to prevent confusion with the 1s and 0s.

If my post image is a song playing on your radio, 1 milisecond of the song, is a 1 or a 0. These 1s and 0s represent the pixel data of my image. Repeat to assemble the bits of any digital data. BAM that's how digital radio works.
>>
>>54742272
The image not appearing with my post represents the lag inherent to wireless networks btw
>>
>>54742287

What a gross over-simplification, wireless does not work this way...
>>
some Wifi standards are :

802.11 a, runs at the 5ghz range at 54Mbits/s

802.11 b, runs at the 2.4ghz range at 11 Mbits/s

802.11 g is an upgrade on 802.11 b, also runs on 2.4ghz but at 54Mbits/s now

802.11 n, runs at the 2.4 and 5ghz, introduced MiMO (multiple input, multiple output) which is those many antennas you see sticking out, runs at 600 Mbits/s or some shit

and finally 802.11 ac, runs at 5Ghz with Mu-MiMo (multiple MiMo) at 7gigs/s in theory.

802.11 a uses DSSS and I think 802.11b also uses DSSS, I believe the other standards use OFD or whatever its called. basically these frequencies run on "channels" and there are 14 channels total but the US only uses channels 1-11, there is a lot of overlapping between channels so people use channels 1,6 and 11 since those 3 dont overlap. I'm reciting this info off the top of my head so dont get mad if I got something wrong ::^)
>>
File: Csmaca_algorithm.png (29 KB, 769x749) Image search: [Google]
Csmaca_algorithm.png
29 KB, 769x749
>>54742061
The same way people in a group communicate without talking over each other. When a device wants to transmit, it waits until no other radio is transmitting. Once the device is confident there isn't a transmission occurring, it will pass out a request to send, the AP will reply with a clear to send and the device will begin transmitting the message.
>>
>>54742143
We learned it in physics in the 7th or 8th grade too.
>>
>>54743630
>using the smiley with a carat nose
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.