[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
app dev
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
What's the best way to get into developing applications for iOS/Android? I'm a web developer looking to branch out and learn this summer and can't seem to find an appropriate direction.
>>
Install
Gentoo
>>
I'm a professional iOS developer for a fortune 250. I'll give you the honest answer.

YOU WONT MAKE IT
BECAUSE YOU WANT
SPOONFEEDING
YOU LAZY SHIT

Seriously how hard is it to google? Read several webpages? Get a consensus?

How hard is it to search Amazon for the highest rated books? Stackoverflow? Again, Google?

But no, you want to be spoon fed a tailor made curriculum that tells you what order to read which books to what chapter and do what projects.

You know what? I used to give people like you answers, and EVERY TIME

"How goes book 1?"
Oh I'm on chapter 3.
"Well... It's been a month. What happened to a chapter every 3 days?"
Yeah well, it's hard, man.
"It's the introduction book..."
Look, programming isn't for me.

Every time. So no OP, I won't waste my time giving you 15 minutes of my day to make you the perfect list of books you won't read and projects you won't create. FOAD. Google that.

Tl;dr install Gentoo
>>
>>54729679

whoa, for an iOS dev for a fortune 250, you're a pretty big bitch
>>
>>54729597
>>54729679

>they fell for the bait
>>
>>54729734
>guy who works for a living tells a lazy NEET how it is
>he's the bitch
wee lad
>>
>>54729679
I'm not sure how you can talk with those corporate balls in your mouth. engineer for a fortune 50 company here. Come at me faggot
>>
>>54729734
>guy who works for a living tells a NEET how it is
>he's the bitch
wew lad
>>
>>54729776
Then you help the op. Go compile a list of every book, video, piece of software, guide, etc he will need

Go on

You help him :^)

...and do it for FREE
>>
>>54729805

Literally just wanna know where to START. I don't NEED an anon's help per se, but I thought maybe someone would provide a more personal example of where THEY began.
>>
>>54729776
>you have corporate balls in your mouth
>I'm also at a corporation
Lol feels good to be NEET
>>
>>54729829
G O O G L E
O
O
G
L
E
>>
>>54729679
The resources you provided don't show dick that isn't behind a pay wall.

What's worse is that most companies outsource mobile app development because they're remedial and a massive waste of company resources. Get off your high horse like you're god own spunk.

OP check for free texts online. Leddit is a better place to find a useful collection of resources than here. It doesn't matter what text you pick up, honestly. Get the basics and Google everything else. If you're developing off of iOS check cocoapods for free shit to steal/examples.
Also don't bother with emulation unless they're small changes. Run the application on your phone often.
>>
>>54730202
You spent 5 minutes of your life for someone who won't spend more than 35 minutes on this new venture

But I guess time is abundant when you're a NEET
>>
>>54730202
>paywall
If he was serious about learning something he could spend a few bucks on some quality books.

...oh wait
MAYBE HE ISNT THAT DEDICATED
>>
>>54729423
iOS: Learn Objective C and/or Swift. Developing for iOS is quite easy.

Android: Learn Java. Developing for Android is more difficult.

>I'm a web developer
You can try Cordova or Appcelerator, if you are building simple web-app-like applications.
>>
>>54730369
I helped someone out. I did app development back in college for easy money and resume fodder. It was a bitch. It also forced me to check old sources and sparked new interest. Teaching is half of learning.

>>54730381
>pay for education
Lol ok mcgraw Hill lick my ass hole. I'm not giving you $250 for an ebook. The editors got paid 5 years ago. You don't need it.
>>
>>54730415
What makes android harder to develop for? Java is pretty basic. The plug-ins for most common ides are garbage (eclipse, NetBeans) but otherwise the learning curve felt the same.
Also thanks for doing what you do falcon.
>>
>>54730623
>What makes android harder to develop for?
Nothing very specific that be called a "killer feature", but overall stuff. With iOS development, you can drag and drop if you want, and the general classes used for development are easier. Documentation and guides for iOS development are more geared towards newcomers, so learning is also easier.

With Java, general classes are more "abstract". Setting up the IDE to deploy on Android is more complicated. A beginner can be expected to learn how to make "hello world" appear on an iOS device with greater speed than on Android. Then you have stuff like Xcode vs Eclipse, less "programming for Android from the perspective of a total newbie" guides, etc.

Most welcome!
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.