[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Linux a waste of time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
Is Linux a waste of time?
>>
>>54718773

What the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>54718773
>using a random distro instead of tried and true Debian/Ubuntu
>>
>>54718773
>Windows-like
>Breaks in hilarious ways
Sounds accurate to me
>>
>>54718807
this 2 b h
>>
Windows if for people who have a profession, it runs all software, it runs the gold standard, MS Office, it is supported everywhere.

OSX is for moms and teens. It doesn't have the business software support that Windows has, and it has a gimped down version of MS Office.

Linux is for techie wannabees, hardly any business software runs on it, MS Office is not supported. Having to do many task in bash is literally a waste of time, something somebody with a job doesn't have time for.
>>
>>54718865
>shitting on linux when the entire internet is run on it
>>
>>54718865
You forgot,
>t. 16 year old future college dropout
>>
>>54718878
The Internet runs on macs, dummy
>>
>>54718773
You gotta wonder what he did to fuck up an installation of Linux that bad. Especially a distro that holds your hand throughout the whole installation.
It takes a special kind of person to do that
>>
>use a no-name distro
>it doesn't werk
Wow, nobody saw this coming
>>
Fuck Vwestlife, he's a fucking moron. I've watched some of his videos where he complains about linux and the shit he complains about is so trivial. Not even problems that are worth googling, all he had to do was read the fucking instructions on screen.

The image in OP's pic is because he intentionally installed the wrong graphic drivers. His computer was working fine and dandy but he decided to install new graphic drivers and then bitch about the outcome.

He's really nothing more than a fagot
>>
>>54718956
on a real desktop operating system like windows or osx, updating your graphics drivers doesn't typically run the risk of horribly corrupting your display output, because it's not 1997 anymore.
>>
>>54718956
Only on Linux do you get shitty drivers, Windows doesn't have this problem :^)
>>
>>54719038
here's your (You)
>>
If you don't value your freedom and privacy then yes, Linux is a huge fucking waste of time.
>>
>>54718994
Reading comprehension is hard
>>
>wants Windows-like OS
>gets Windows-like experience
>complains
>>
rural ireland fag here, we're paying €50 for about 0.5mbs download
>>
Only Yuros and SJWs don't like Linux because they literally can't even comprehend the idea of freedom. An American white male understands the value of Linux as soon as he learns about it, since American white males are the sons of freedom. Europeans and liberals like their OS like they like their doctrine, evil and authoritarian.
>>
>>54719053
Terrible opinion
>>
The hell is Zorin?
>>
>>54718865
>business software support
>MS Office
If you're a business person, then yes, you probably need Windows. But you do realize that this isn't necessarily every job, right?
>>
>>54719063
I read it perfectly, it's just that I reject that notion that installing the "wrong" driver should have this kind of outcome.
>>
>>54718773
Yes. Windows is a waste of money, and all other OS but OSX & Windows are timesinks too.
>>
>>54718865
So I can conclude that winfags are wageslaves with no time for themselves.
Also Linux competence, as any computer competence, tends to get you jobs where computer competence is required.

>>54718949
Zorin is not exactly no-name, /g/ just doesn't meme about it.

>>54718956
You've got to understand, windows doesn't come with GPU drivers. Having used nothing else, why would anyone assume otherwise?

>>54719096
>muh freedoms
European laws ruled Pentium IIIs to be illegal, and thus microprocessors are not identifiable in the same way printers are.
Anti-adblocking solutions are illegal in the EU as they're tracking software and control what the users can see.
Scanning ports is not illegal in the EU.
My isp provides a news server with full access to alt., my god is it full of cp
Linux was created by a Finn.
And so on
>>
>>54718865
/thread

Unless you program or run a server then Linux us useless. Doesn't matter what "runs on linux" because we are talking about what people use in everyday life and the practicality of it.
>>
>>54719053
You pay to use something attached to an agreement and you're complaining.

You're clearly under 25 and have never rented a car.
>>
>>54718807
this
>>
>>54718807
>>54718861
>>54719408

Children in denial that Linux is bad for everyday use.
>>
File: 1453640161605.png (83 KB, 328x408) Image search: [Google]
1453640161605.png
83 KB, 328x408
>vwestlife
He's a self admitted faggot who shops for 30 year old radios in thrift store and has a hard time comprehending anything other than DOS and Windows XP.
>>
File: obama.gif (374 KB, 300x167) Image search: [Google]
obama.gif
374 KB, 300x167
>>54718807
>>
>>54719424
I've been using GNU/Linux exclusively in everyday use since 2008? It was around that time.

I got a shitty Dell laptop, and the Intel graphics drivers kept fucking up on Vista.
We are talking a crash (killing most running programs with it) twice or three times a day.

I finally had enough.

About five years later, the company I worked for switched to RHEL on almost all their workstations.
This isn't some rinky dink operation either. It's an ASX listed company, and the building I work in alone has some 100+ workstations running simultaneously at peak.
The only people who don't run GNU/Linux, is the marketing rep upstairs, who gets a Mac and the design dept who have a few Windows boxes for Solidworks and Multisim, but there is talk we might switch to an in-house tool based upon SPICE to replace Multisim.
Oh shit, the pick and place machine on the line runs Windows 3.11, but it's so well embedded that you probably wouldn't even know.
>>
>>54719424
Werks on my machine
>>
Does the organization that manages zorin really advertise it as windows-like because I think that might open them up to a lawsuit from microsoft. I'm thinking the windows-like shit was probably propagated by shitty blogs and not something they personally claim.
>>
Man i wish normies just stayed away from computers.
>>
>>54718865
> Gimped down version of MS office
Nice try Pajeet. Office 2016 for Mac is the same if not way better than its Windows version. Office 2011 was a joke yes, but this meme is over now.

> Moms and teens
> Superior Unix system with better terminal and dev support
And no, the glitchy Ubuntu ripoff in Windows doesn't count.
>>
>>54719705
Unfortunately they subsidize the personal computer market. If they didn't buy them as well then computers would cost way more and be too expensive for mere NEETfags
>>
>>54719258

>European laws ruled Pentium IIIs to be illegal, and thus microprocessors are not identifiable in the same way printers are.

...Why did they make Pentium IIIs illegal?
>>
>>54719597
So you do server support? I guess you missed that part in my first post that that is all its good for
>>
>>54719096
>Only Yuros and SJWs don't like Linux because they literally can't even comprehend the idea of freedom. An American white male understands the value of Linux as soon as he learns about it, since American white males are the sons of freedom. Europeans and liberals like their OS like they like their doctrine, evil and authoritarian.
>>54719258
>muh freedoms
OOOH am laffin
>digabi.fi/digabi-os-operating-system/
We were literally teached in school how to use linux OS called DigabiOS. A little years forward it will be mandotory to learn to use it
>>
>>54718773
On desktop computers?
Yes.
On servers/embedded devices?
No.
>>
>>54719096
How to spot an aspie: the post.
>>
>>54718773
>RetroGamer VX
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>54719946
I switched to using GNU/Linux *before* getting that job.
I use it exclusively for everything I do.

The workstations at work aren't being used as servers, they are being used as workstations.

The only thing that can't be done in GNU/Linux is video games (which really don't matter, and support for games is slowly improving) and the use of certain proprietary tools, but these tools are not the kind of tools you'd use on your home machine, but the sorts of things that would come on a machine provided by your workplace (therefore be beyond your control anyway).
>>
>>54719258
>European laws ruled Pentium IIIs to be illegal
Can i get a link on this or something. I googled but...
>>
>>54719793
Some Pentium IIIs have unique IDs that can be broadcast to applications such as web browsers, so they were usable for tracking purposes.
>>
>>54720148
www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9911/29/eu.p3.ban.idg/index.html
>>
>>54720131
>and the use of certain proprietary tools, but these tools are not the kind of tools you'd use on your home machine
Grand delusion, just remember how many little freeware tools there are available for Windows only, some are mandatory for certain things that you are highly unlikely to do anywhere but home. Tinkering with phones, especially not Android ones, for example. Not every tool is bloated "application software".
>>
>>54718773
what the fuck is zorin OS ?
I've been using linux for some years now and never heard of it.
>>
All major database software is running on Linux. All the important mainframe and parallel processing is being done on Linux nodes. I use SuSE every day and work with many companies. OP is an uninformed bundle of sticks.
>>
>>54720220
It probably doesn't mean much, but I've yet to encounter a tool which didn't work in Wine or have a GNU/Linux supporting replacement.
The one exception was a shitty video converter tool someone recommended once, but I found using ffmpeg on it's own was much easier to deal with.
>>
>>54720242
Because it's a meme of a project that is trying to cater to morons and fill a niche that doesn't actually exist
>>
>>54720290
>It probably doesn't mean much, but I've yet to encounter a tool which didn't work in Wine or have a GNU/Linux supporting replacement
Anything that requires installing drivers?
>>
It's GNU/Linux, not Linux.
>>
>>54720266
>OP is an uninformed bundle of sticks.
>All major database software is running on Linux.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
File: I have no idea.jpg (37 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
I have no idea.jpg
37 KB, 500x282
>>54718773
>>
>>54720324
I've not installed drivers in literally years.
Everything, from Printers to Programmers to USB TV Tuners have worked right off of the bat (or with an update to the latest kernel).
>>
>>54720338
>It's asperger's, not autism.
>>
>>54720357
As I said about phones, some shit requires special drivers, that aren't even signed sometimes.
>>
>>54720357
Say what you want about a monolithic architecture, but just plugging in and things working is nice.
>>
>>54720341
You are correct and this is a great response. Linux is commonly used as a label incorrectly. But by any name it is extremely relevant and widely used.
>>
File: 1450828196440.png (332 KB, 1000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1450828196440.png
332 KB, 1000x2000
>>54718773
Normies should just stay away from computers.
They are the reason why the web became shit.
They are the reason why operating systems became shit.
They are the reason why malware exists.
They are the reason why censorship exists.
They are the reason for this shitty thread.

Don't know how to drive a car? Don't drive a car.
Don't know how to use a computer? Don't get one.
>>
>>54720414
At Apple store
>Don't know how to use a computer? Don't worry, this isn't one.
>>
>>54720396
I know right?
I used to wait minutes for a USB keyboard to be recognised on Windows 2000.

>>54720377
What kind of phones would you be using that would have those sorts of restrictions?
I've had no trouble with phones on GNU/Linux.
Back when I switched I was using this Sony Ericsson thing which had horrible software on Windows, but reasonably good tools on GNU/Linux.
Using it as a 3G modem was a matter of plugging it in and running the Mobile Broadband tool that came with most distros, but in Windows required you to install some Sony Mobile Manager shit which nagged me for updates whenever you turned the computer on.
>>
>>54720414
>tfw trans
>tfw you don't own a smartphone or have a social media profile
Am I a part of the problem still?
>>
>>54720464
What part of "tinkering" didn't you get?
>Sony Ericsson
Linux had only barely working xs++ for flashing that had to BRUTE-FORCE FOR HALF A DAY encryption keys before it even started doing its job.
>>
>>54718773
Linux imitating Windows is like a nigger putting on white make up and thinking he is white and intellectual.
>>
>>54720488
dont worry, my dad was a trains conductor too. he was a good man so ure are too.
>>
>>54720576
trains is a hard job
;_;
>>
>>54718910
I can assure this is 100% accurate

T. 22 years old who's dropping the second uni in three years
>>
>>54720488
>don't own a smartphone
Then how will you take pictures of your feminine penis for us? Fucking useless cunt.
>>
>>54718799
Underrated
>>
>>54718773
>Is Linux a waste of time?
Not as much as windows.
Linux takes less time to install, you don't need to search the interwebs for your software, distributions like mint, ubuntu or OpenSUSE come pre installed with all the drivers and everything you need for daily use. If you want something else, just start the package manager and click install.
Updates for everything comes from one place and at the time YOU want.
If you have to track down an issue, linux gives you the information you need to solve it and not just "something happend"
It's more stable and does exactly what you want at the time you want. No "what the fuck is going on? why is my Internet so slow - oh it's updating" or other shit like this.
>>
>What is VM
Well,this thread is fucking shit,since Personal Computers have VT-x and 32 GB of RAM is useless dual-booting.
Just use Windows as host and whatever you want as guest.
>>
>>54718773
I've been tripple booting Debian, Windows 7, and Ubuntu for almost 3 years and I've never had my computer screen look like that. Not even once. How the fuck do you even do that?
>>
>>54719258
You are wrong. Recently I've come across a German internet radio with this nagging banner asking me to turn off my ad bloc k
>>
>>54719258
>Anti-adblocking solutions are illegal in the EU
Do you think that this is actually the case?

It's absolutely un-enforcable.
>>
>>54720725
Mint can also come with preinstalled botnet
>>
>>54718773
Your mom is a waste of time. Lurk moar, faggot.
>>
>>54720725
>If you have to track down an issue, linux gives you the information you need to solve it
Wrong. There's no difference between googling an exception in DLL 363636363f556d and Linux errors.
>>
>>54720847
Yeah, just like "this site uses cookies". Yurp might be on a cuckish side but they care about privacy, probably has something to do with the most jewish banks being there.
>>
>>54718773

http://www.comparebusinessproducts.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/ubuntu-coming-to-mainframes-in-new-ibmcanonical-project/

Yes OP, the U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Navy Submarine Fleet and IBM love waste the time with linux
>>
>>54720690
I still own a camera, silly.

Smartphones are basically corporate tracking devices.
You gotta pay for the privilege of being spied on.
>>
>>54720893
The difference is that when you search for windows errors, you will quickly find information about the exact problem related to the exact version of windows you're using from multiple sources. With a linux problem, you end up in a forum thread from 2008.
>>
>>54720928
>submarines run linux, therefore it's a great choice for a PC!
>>
>>54720928
DoD? The same DoD that's still using XP?
>>
>>54719424
Adult here. I'm in denial that Linux is bad for everyday use.
>>
>>54720938
I have different experience. And desu when u see a Linux error message its often that you understand what's it about. But all in all you end up googling
>>
File: 1391549866569.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1391549866569.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
Linux will never grow beyond what it is now. The fact that no one has made one of these "windows like" versions and had it succeed should be proof that it's inferior. If Linux is so great then you should be able to imitate Window without all of its shortcomings. Too bad you can't.
>>
>>54721004
> what is copyright laws
>>
>>54718773

Dell sell ultrabooks with ubuntu since 2010
People buy dell because waste his time?
>>
>using a server OS on a desktop
>>
>>54718807
it's funny because it's true
>>
>>54721004
That's because Windows is shit. Linux is not Windows and it shouldn't try to be. Linux is there for people looking to get away from the circle jerk of malware and government spying and take full control over their computers. Debian is rock solid and doesn't crash when I open folders like Windows 10 does.
>>
>>54718773
If Zorin sucks, then it's fulfilled it's goal of being windows-like perfectly.
What's the problem?
>>
>>54720961
>le 2016 meme
>>
>>54719749
Why do you try so hard to prove os x is good when it has flaws and problems?
>>
>>54721499
Because its an important part of his self esteem and self realization. T.Linux fan
>>
>>54718788
It's Zorin. Last I checked, you had to reinstall the OS just to upgrade LTS versions. Zorin IS a waste of time, but please don't let it define Linux.
>>
>>54720893
in linux you can read and understand the error message in 85% without google. not so in windows. I'm a MCSE since 2000, believe me - Win 10 is the worst piece of shit you can install on your PC. Random issues, often not reproducible and if you find the source of the error, it makes no sense and in most cases everything you can do to solve the problem is just a workaround.
>>
>>54718807
This.
>>
File: 1463964729970.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
1463964729970.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>>54718807
>>
>>54721843
That's what I've just said in >>54720981 . Theoretically, yes. But it requires expertise, otherwise people just use Google
>>
Using Linux is like taking a train across country. It's only better if you think your time is worth nothing.
>>
>>54720172
Its not stated that they banned p3 CPUs... Moreover if you do cat proc/cpuinfo you ll see you CPU does have an id
>>
>>54718773
Is this more a GPU / Driver issue?
>>
>>54722194
nice argument, would you mind giving more details, if you don't do it is fine because i know if you don't remain ambiguous you'll be proven wrong.
>>
>>54720510
>>54720377
>>54720220
>everybody wants to flash custom ROMs to their phone!

Fuck off back to XDA, pajeet
>>
>>54720854
you can't compare a breach with something done on purpose like Microsoft does.
>>
>>54720938
This is a nice claim but i invite everyone to actually try linux and test this by themselves.

>>54722170
In both cases you need to use google but at least you should admit that linux gives much more information about the problem and that makes easier to fix it. Transparency is good even if you don't care about it.
>>
File: dick.jpg (43 KB, 460x743) Image search: [Google]
dick.jpg
43 KB, 460x743
So someone is upset that a piece of software designed to mimic Windows successfully mimicked Windows?
>>
>>54718799
>unintentionally rhyming
fucking bars
>>
>>54718807
Yeah Linux does suck dick.
>>
>>54722953
You fuck off. The last official ROM for my device dates back to the last summer, which means my android is vulnerable as fuck. Naturally I want a custom. Besides, I had to use windows to have my phone rooted (needed it 4 xprivacy)
>>
>>54718916

proofs?
>>
>>54718773
Yes it is.
Some people like wasting time on things they like. Those things are called hobbies.
>>
I used Windows for eight years, Mac for eight years. Currently thinking about making the Linux leap. What are the main advantages of making the switch? What are the disadvantages?
>>
>>54725674
Advantage: becoming competent in yet another computer environment

Disadvantage: hardware support is inconsistent so don't be surprised to maybe lose some performance or functionality
>>
>>54718773
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0chgyL7u4Qs
>>
>>54725674
Advantages:
Package managers generally have a large selection of programs that are easy to install (Portage > pacman > apt-get, but you'll most likely end up using apt-get since that's what most "beginner" distros use)
Great programming environment
Very customizable if you have the drive to dig down a bit and learn how (some distros moreso than others)
Disadvantages:
Doesn't have a lot of games or some other good Windows software (can be mitigated with WINE, I haven't used WINE much myself so I don't know to what extent)
May have to use the terminal, even if the distro tries it's best to ensure you don't have to (it's a good skill to have anyway, I'd recommend learning it)
Installing shit without a package manager can be a pain
>>
I think we should answer yes to questions like this for now on so we can keep autismo's and faggot out.
>>
>>54718773
>a grown man named his youtube account after a f tier boy band

Why should I care about his opinion?
>>
>>54724093
>You need Windows to fix your device that runs Linux
>this is not considered an ass-backwards situation caused by retards using a retarded OS and developing for that retarded OS
>>
>>54718956
He actually believes a cheap $1 mouse from Amazon has "high-DPI" because it moved too fast in Windows XP. It's like he has never heard of mouse acceleration before.
>>
>>54718773
of course it is
>>
>>54725880
>I haven't used WINE much myself so I don't know to what extent

Wine is... inconsistent. Sometimes it'll work great. Sometimes it won't. WineDB isn't that good of an indicator of which is which either.
>>
>being so beta you get strong emotional response over an object.
I bet you beta manchildren say guns kills people don't you?
>>
>>54724093
>unless you really needed some bizzare root toolkit that only works on windows, fastboot and adb work fine on Linux
>>
I've been running arch on my laptop for the last 6 months
I've had no issues whatsoever with it, other than I forget to run updates, and I end up with a month's worth of shit to upgrade
>>
>>54718865
ms office isn't useful to 90% of all people
libreoffice just werks, as long as you stay away from the fresh package
>>
>>54722927
Proven wrong in what?
Linux takes infinitely more maintenance than just about any other operating system if you do anything but fart around on Twitter all day and never install any programs or hardware.

It's cool man, nobody's saying Linux sucks balls or anything so there's no need to get rustled. But if free time or convenience matters to you more than privacy or "free as in freedom", Linux isn't for you.
>>
>>54719107
A popular fictional masked swordsman
>>
>>54720357
the one exception I've come across is wifi cards and mobile broadband cards
if you have a AC capable chipset made by some special snowflake manufacturer, you're going to have a bad time
>>
>>54720242
it's a distro based on ubuntu that tries to replicate the windows user experience
>>
>>54718773
No.
>>
>>54720753
don't you mean run windows as a guest so the botnet doesn't touch your hardware?
>>
>>54718799
THIS
>>
>>54721004
sorry that LINUX ***IS NOT*** WINDOWS
>>
File: 1458848290975.jpg (1 MB, 1674x1198) Image search: [Google]
1458848290975.jpg
1 MB, 1674x1198
Linux won't succeed beyond where it is because of one simple thing. Money. Take into consideration that all Linux Distros are free as in free beer. 90% of the people developing for Linux do so on their own time and out of their own pocket. All of this means that development for both pleasure (games) and professional programs (Office, Photoshop, Lightroom) is WAY behind the Windows equivalent. Shit, if other companies saw Linux as potentially profitable, they'd make a native Linux version of those programs I mentioned.

As sad as it is to say, If linux distros were to charge money for their work, updates would come faster. With this money they could potentially coerce deals with major manufacturers on the scale of MS to get Linux pre-loaded on machines from stores like Best Buy, Fry's etc. Places average consumers go to.

Ask yourself this anons. Given the choice to pay $140 for a Windows Pro license or say $60 for a Linux distro, would you still choose Linux?

Not to mention that barely anyone has even heard of Linux as far as normies are concerned. I have my father, mother, and little sister all using Ubuntu because they need a Facebook, netflix, movie watching machine. It prevents constant Windows breakage and "anon can you fix my virus ridden PC again?"
>>
Yes
>Install Ubuntu
>Seems fine
>Reboot
>Display driver crashed
>Recovery, change display driver
>Install wine for shit and giggles
>Kernel panic
>Reboot
>Now WiFi driver died
Not to mention the horrendously slow internet speed because bad MTU value. Gonna try other distros first, see if that makes any difference
>>
>>54726393
while i primarily use linux, ms office is standard enterprise software. you need it to write technical documents that are being edited by more than one person. if i'm writing something at work, it's going to be on ms office for consistency in formatting. you don't want to take a document home and work on it in libre office, because you're going to waste a whole shitload of time fixing it when you get it back in ms word. waste of time for actual work.
>>
>>54718916
TTOOOOOOOPPPKKEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK
>>
>>54728812
in that case why not just replace msoffice with libreoffice?
>>
>>54720936
holy fuck dude
>>
>>54728910
because then everyone at work would have to use libreoffice when all the ms office licenses have already been paid for.
>>
>>54728930
but you don't have to buy licenses if you use libreoffice
>>
File: Islamicphone.png (378 KB, 1022x570) Image search: [Google]
Islamicphone.png
378 KB, 1022x570
I'm not sure about Linux, but I can definitely attest to the great design that Peace Mobile has. Using Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Been) for an OS and with it's amazing speed and intuitive design I guarantee that any good Muslim will love it.
>>
>>54729227
even if my boss had money to throw in the garbage like that on wasted time i still wouldn't even bother using it. it doesn't render images very well and ms office actually performs better all-around. you sound like you don't even have a job.
>>
>>54718956
Butthurt Loonixfag detected
>>
>>54726376
>forget to run updates
No wonder it lasted so long
>>
>>54729236
Are we just going to ignore the dick wallpaper
>>
File: eZnON5K.png (177 KB, 359x320) Image search: [Google]
eZnON5K.png
177 KB, 359x320
>>54718773
>Linux
>Windows Like
>>
>>54718865
Then why did windows just add an entire literally Ubuntu subsystem to Windows 10?
>>
File: 1460672447350.jpg (151 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1460672447350.jpg
151 KB, 800x800
>>54719077
upboat
>>
>>54731247
Devs
There is now literally 0 reason to use Licux
>>
>>54727251
No, the problem is the lack of stable APIs for developement. Nobody (except free software devs) wants to work in a OS whose APIs keep changing because "i didn't like the current API so let's make a new, incompatible one".
>>
>>54728812
>consistency in formatting
I guess they use line feeds to make a new page, use spaces to center text and type lots of dots to make a dotted line
>>
>>54718878
The issue is you faggots keep pushing a back end OS as a desktop gen daily usage OS.

You are all faggots who will never see your special dream come true..that one day everyone will see the light that linux is not the user unfriendly piece of shit it is for a desktop OS and you all look somehow smarter than everyone else because you always knew it was superior...when it just isn't. It has it's use and role..but gen desktop usage isn't one of them no matter how hard you try to disguise that fact with your constant shilling.
>>
>>54720414
Hey faggot..guess what? You're not special. You are normal too..quit thinking you are not. You're just a social retard with low self esteem who is scared of women. That does not make you special.. in fact it makes you pretty common actually and a member of a rather large group...a sad pathetic group..but not special certainly.

Get over yourself..your mom lied to you all your life..you are not special.
>>
>>54726413
>Linux takes infinitely more maintenance than just about any other operating system
Seriously? if any a good reason to use an user oriented linux distro is because it requires less maintainance so you can use that time for doing actual work or for customizing your operative system, so in my own experience this not true at all and anyone can check by themselves that this is a completely empty claim.

>if you do anything but fart around on Twitter all day and never install any programs or hardware.
Most linux distros gives you direct access to tons of useful programs directly from the repos and the package managers most of the work for you. Regarding the hardware most of the hardware i have tried has worked ootb without any extra configuration and without installing drivers and the few proprietary drivers that cannot be included by default can be installed from the package manager so by calling names to those who use linux just shows your that you don't have any real argument.

>But if free time or convenience matters to you more than privacy or "free as in freedom", Linux isn't for you.
This is false too, as i said most user oriented linux distros requires much less maintainance which actually gives you more free time than windows, regarding to convenience i don't see how using linux is less convenient by itself, if you absolutely need a program that only works on windows (assuming it actually doesn't work in wine) then the best you can do is to just use windows because you don't have any other option, but if not i don't see how linux can be less convenient.
>>
>>54718799
Debian? Yes. Ubuntu? Are you 12?
>>
Depends on who is using it. I'm not linux savvy and used normie tier ubuntu for 3 years for everyday tasks. Movies and music ran fine, torrents did too, browsing was fine and there even was a linux client for then popular IM in my country. I liked that gimmick shit compiz too. Even few games were running without problems on wine. The only problems I experienced were difficulties with setting up tv tuner (it required doing things that I had no idea about that were automatically handled in windows but once done it worked better than in windows) and sound settings (that alsa or pulseaudio or something clusterfuck that almost never worked properly and who knows why, I don't remember now). It's all about drivers I think. There may be way to much fucking around with some config files and terminal to get things running for an average person. Plus I never to this day understood those linux partitions and drives things and directory structure.
It would be a waste of time for normiefags
>>
>>54729366
>even if my boss had money to throw in the garbage like that on wasted time
Not him but your initial claim regarding the format compatibility should be actually fixed if everyone uses the same format, for example if everyone use LO and save in ODF format. LO is not a waste of time by itself as you claim, this situation has been created by MS artificially but you actually gain something valuable by not having the option to use any other alternative program?

>it doesn't render images very well
how so?

>ms office actually performs better all-around
Not saying LO is better than MSO but not only this is very subjective, i just don't see a good reason to disregard LO, not saying that you should actually change, MSO is an excellent program but i don't see how your main claim that LO is a waste of time can be true.

>you sound like you don't even have a job.
While i don't disagree completely with you using an ad hominem makes you look like you're not very sure on what you're talking about.
>>
File: bash.webm (3 MB, 1328x900) Image search: [Google]
bash.webm
3 MB, 1328x900
>>54731268
yup
>>
>>54729236
>>54730414
>>
>>54731933
why do you type like a grandmother
>>
>>54731954
good question

it's sort of hard to do that same thing again though and I'm too lazy to think of anything else
>>
>>54731983
I'm sure you could have run some neat ncurses program
like pipes or cmatrix, or both in tmux
>>
>>54718773
>Is stupid
>Blame tool
>Lenooks sux!!!!
K
>>
File: cmatrix.webm (630 KB, 1328x900) Image search: [Google]
cmatrix.webm
630 KB, 1328x900
>>54732015
4u
>>
>>54718956

Yes, how DARE he update his drivers?
>>
>>54718865
I work as a software dev as a part of a POC team for one of the largest companies in the country.

If we're not developing on or making changes directly to whatever server or piece of hardware we happen to be working on (which all run some flavor of Linux) than were developing on whatever linux flavor desktop that we prefer / on our company owned PCs / macs that we have modified to be as Linux like as possible without making our IT department shit themselves over loosing control of access to the box.

Maybe if you work in a non /g/ field you'd use Windows or osx exclusively but in that case your comment is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>54718773
What the fuck is Zorin OS?
>>
>>54718799
>using sjw cuckware
Gentoo is the best distro for desktop.
>>
>>54732805
>I work in a really huge company, I'm not gonna give any details about it or even proof, but I really do work there, I swear!

I see this posted multiple times daily. Do people REALLY need to lie on the internet?
>>
>giving away even the smallest hints as to who you are on 4chan
>Ever

I like my life, thanks though
>>
File: SISCAD-P.jpg (34 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
SISCAD-P.jpg
34 KB, 512x384
Im using Linux at work since siscad-p. It's a time saver - especially if you need a professional reliable environment.
>>
>>54723803
>>54721876
>>54721856
>>54721215
>>54719543
>>54719408
>>54718861
>>54718807
This is some next level samefagging
>>
>>54718807
and that's the way the cookie crumbles.
>>
>>54731489
>push
we're not pushing anything, it's your own stupidity that holds you back & misinterprets your idiot ass eyes & what they read
>>
>>54718773
I'm starting to think so. I wiped Windows off of my machine back in September, and I've been surviving pretty decently. The problem is I can't play half my games anymore and I'm too stupid to read error logs and do shit in the terminal, I'm tired of stuff not working for some random reason that I can't diagnose myself. Wine/PoL are actually hot garbage and I don't know how to even begin setting up VGA passthrough.

I miss playing games with my friends and not having hackjob solutions to get programs to run. I've only been able to play Dota, TF2, and Civ with them, we used to play a bunch, and I was hoping to give Overwatch a try, but I can't. The only reason I haven't gone crying back to Windows yet is because I'm too committed to the meme at this point.
>>
>>54733368
why not autocad?
>>
>>54733460
Because I need to do some serious work and AutoCAD is just a toy.
>>
>>54731542
>he thinks he can get his point across with insults
this isn't reddit
you won't get anywhere with insults here
>>
>>54733368
>mfw I use solidworks
>mfw /that/ looks like a toy to me
>>
>>54720938
that is because windows errors are a lot less specific than Linux errors
"error 0x037493849 happened in dll urmum.dll"
vs
"error in urmum.so: not enough memory"
>>
File: 1372229848316.jpg (43 KB, 493x353) Image search: [Google]
1372229848316.jpg
43 KB, 493x353
>>54733502
Uncharacteristically presumptuous for your average linux user, oh wait...

What can you do on there that you can't do just as easily on autocad.
>>
I'm planning on transferring to a cs program
The website says to become Grammy familiar with Linux and UNIX
Apparently a lot of people fail that program or can't do the coursework because they aren't familiar enough with UNIX/Linux
>>
>>54733576
It's good to know, I doubt the coursework wouldn't be do-able on windows or osx though.
>>
File: open_source_alternatives.jpg (178 KB, 1026x800) Image search: [Google]
open_source_alternatives.jpg
178 KB, 1026x800
>>54718773
yes
>>
>>54721329
>>54726750
This.
These motherfuckers get it.
Linux is NOT Windows. So stop complaining it's different you fucking idiots.
>>
>>54733416
You're making it sound like anyone wants u to use linux. Do you have some kind of mental deficiency?
>>
>>54733552
>>54733540
I switched my job around 2000 from industrial mechanic to sysadmin. Now I'm CIO. So my view on AutoCAD may be some kind of outdated. When siscad-p was released, AutoCAD wasn't even usable. We had to use it in school and it was pure shit in comparison to siscad-p on Linux/siscad-m on Unixware, what we used at work.
Btw. I'm certified as MCSE. But Nowadays Linux is more stable, easier to use and administer and it's simple to adjust it to match your needs. It's the perfect choice for a professionell environment. I provide some special windows software via remoteapp, so Windows on a Workstation makes no sense anymore.
>>
>>54733416
Are you literally retarded?
Like seriously are you actually retarded, do you have brain damage or did you have a stroke?
>>
>>54720772
that's not a weird problem at all
all it takes is a broken or wrong video driver
>>
>>54731688
Post a valid reason as to why not ubuntu.

Besides, it's noob.
>>
>>54718773
Why is it always /v/ leaking to /g/ and never vice versa? We need to spam tux racer threads there.
>>
>>54733833
did you just answer your own question?
>>
>>54718807

/thread
>>
>>54732209
It's supposed to go 4 times as fast...
>>
>>54733762
How do you manage PC's update in a professional environment? I mean, is there a simil WSUS forr Linux?
>>
>>54720266
IBM ONE is the first mainframe with Linux. zOS is what you mean.
Linux jobs > non-linux jobs in IT.

Just my 2 cents.
>>
>>54718807
>>
>>54733953
Let me guess, you choose your distro based of the default DE?
>>
>>54734147
There are many solutions. Bcfg2, spacewalk, puppet, Chef, Pulp...
>>
>>54718773

Linux is proof that society doesn't want a product they can make better through hard work and sacrifice that everyone, no matter what class they are, can use.

Could Linux be better than both OSX and Windows, of course it could. It's just a matter of enough people working on it. But society doesn't want that. They're either in the "it's just good enough to get the job done" (Windows) or elitist who demand a finely polished product, even if it's not necessarily better or versatile (OSX).

Linux is proof society, in general, will progress but we're not going anywhere fast and we like having a permanent underclass.
>>
>>54718994
It doesn't typically but it does still happen. I don't see why Linux would be any exception to this. Anyway, if ease of use when installing drivers is your goal just use Linux Mint. Hell, it's easier to install drivers on that than Windows.
>>
Fuck zorin
The pcs at my school ran it
It's shit
>>
>>54734135
well, it's an alpha environment running within another beta environment. imo the fact that it runs at all is pretty cool at this point.
>>
>>54727251
You are fucking retarded and should end yourself before passing down your mongrel genes.
>>
>>54734367
It will be a new OS entirely and I'm sure we'll see one in the end of the decade. And regarding Linux -it's much moar than just a comfy one-handed UI OS and doesn't thrive to be one, ore simple in that matter. Some things just need the extra level of complexity, these complex things make the world work
>>
>>54734996
It's more likely going to be slower than faster, lack of speed a bad architecture thing.
>>
>falling for the zorin OS meme
>listening to RGVX
>>
>>54734367
Linux can't run Office 365 and games. That eliminates 95% of all demographics completely.

Literally students, office workers and your average quick scope minecraft meme spouter is removed from the target market.

What do you expect?
>>
>>54729236
Im a mudslime and use Linux as my main OS, android on my Sony phone and either arch or debian on my many thinkpads.
>>
>>54735674
students should be using tex, not office
>>
>>54735729
Why? Universities all have Windows/Office on their system. When you run a .docx file on LibreOffice say goodbye to formatting and proprietary elements. Even the line spacing and scale is not the same. You can't exchange files with other students and co-workers aide from PDF, they can't collaborate with you.

Good lucking editing a massive database or a 150 page report that was produced in Office.
>>
Linux on desktop is meh/ok.
What matters is linux in enterpraise. Virtualization? Linux. Containers? Linux. Internet of things? Linux. Internet in general? Linux or BSD. Any big data solution? linux.

Nobody cares about your desktops. You will still be Microsoft's cuck. And everyone has better stuff to do than to convince you otherwise.
>>
>>54735795
Linux is a server OS and no one wants it on their desktop because it is ugly and useless.
>>
for n00b still contemplating sudoku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE4rIrBxe48
>>
>>54718799

Ubuntu for Desktop but Debian in the server room seems to be a niche thing. Ive gotten into dba and application server work in the last year and Centos seems to be the thing. Or Red Hat
>>
>>54735809

If mac wasn't shit beyond the ascetic it would actually be the best option with that terminal.
>>
>>54735809
ElementaryOS is pretty OSX clone but it needs refinement in regard of technology.
Ubuntu's Unity is quirky but nice interface but a lot of folks will disagree.
KDE is not my favorite but many people like its looks and its a full desktop package.
I love Budgie since it enhances the basic concept of Gnome2/Windows hybrid, uses GTK (i hate qt) and brings extras to the table.
People use Linux to work and work-related fun.

Gnome is shit, lxde and xfce are good for me but soo 90's.
>>
>>54735876
Macs restrict your choice of hardware, charge brand tax and are a pain in the ass to configure with printers and other mainstream devices designed for Windows. Aside from Office, you don't have a variety of software and games released for OSX. Another piece of shit OS.

>>54735929
You can polish and dress up a turd any way you like. The underlying flaws and deficiencies prevent it from being a proper desktop OS. If after decades of time to catch up the free software community cannot produce Linux that can be installed without hassle with device drivers, they are not very good programmers and should stop releasing shit software to the public.

Many people have lost valuable data and wasted hours reinstalling Windows because the Linux adventure ended prematurely due to a roadblock either in driver support or lack of useful software to do anything besides surfing the net.
>>
>>54735854
If you go with RedHat stuff (Ansible, Puppet, Gluster, Ceph) then you go with RHEL or Centos mostly.
I don't get Suse's popularity in enterpraise sector.
Ubuntu has JuJu which is supposedly awesome.
Debian... Dunno.Haven't seen it in enterpraise that much which is weird since it's good. My suspect is fact that what enterpraise cares about is support. You don't get Debian support.
>>
>>54735971
Oh thought you are rstional but you are just little salty cunt.
How did you get into /g/? Please consider leaving.

Find a list of companies that contribute code to the kernel. They are not bad programmers, they just don't care about your little sorry ass.
>>
>>54733953
>Hey there, did you know I use Arch Linux?
>>
>>54735971
>Macs restrict your choice of hardware, charge brand tax and are a pain in the ass to configure with printers and other mainstream devices designed for Windows. Aside from Office, you don't have a variety of software and games released for OSX. Another piece of shit OS.

Like I said they are shit beyond the ascetic. But at least there is a bash terminal at my fingertips.

>>54735977

I was thinking this also. Debian is talked about but I dont see it used in enterprise. I think its because everyone knows Red Hat is popular for support so even if you dont need support you get the system that is like it so software can be migrated easier?
>>
>>54736006
If a power user cannot use Linux with ease, it will never reach mainstream. That arrogant attitude of this rotting community is not helping the cause.

In the end Linux cannot even defeat Windows Vista for desktop market share. So I guess I am not the only one with the problem?
>>
>>54718773
man, some people just love to showcase their own stupidity

like, if you're complaining about a kernel, it's obvious that you're only a gamer
>>
>>54736047

Linux power users are fine. Its the fucking art teams and gamers that dont have support on linux.

There is OS better for a programmer.
>>
>>54736125
>There is no OS better for a programmer.
>>
>>54736030
Centos is basically RHEL (Redhat enterpraise linux) stripped from licensed stuff (company logos etc.), subscription system (its an application running on the OS) and getting later security fixes/updates. So basically if you want Redhat without support you have to get Centos.
But Centos is cool. Using that a lot!
>>
>>54736149

Thats what I am talking about. All these people talk about Debian and yes its good but as I move into the real world it does not seem to be a thing. And I think Centos is kicking its ass because even if you dont need support and want a free software system you might as well get redhats brother.
>>
>>54735977
SLES is great Enterprise stuff. Besides it's long tradition in this sector, it's robust like a tank and YAST gives windows admins the ability to administer a linux machine.
>>
>>54718865
I have two laptops. For my SysOp job I use a Win10 Thinkpad X201. I use mainly RDP, MS Office + Outlook and do presentations on it.

My private machine is a Thinkpad X220 and it runs gentoo. I love using it because it's making dev work really easy. I use it for pentesting, coding, web browsing and VM. It works just fine and I don't miss Windows on it. XFCE is probably the nicest DE you can find.

I don't really like macosx though. It's a hassle beyond hell to get work done on it. I don't like Finder, I absolutely loathe the desktop and file handling. The only good thing about OSX is probably that it runs tmux, photopshop and office on a single OS.
>>
>actually caring so much that people use a different OS than you that you make angry posts

I barely care enough to post this. Why do you give a fuck?
>>
>>54736178
Don't put too much thought into distros. They are just the package. Moving from apt to yum is not a big deal. Both have vast repos full of stable software (remember about EPEL on Centos if you miss a package).
So just go with whatever suits your goals.
>>
>>54736215
I like the argument about Yast. Never thought about that.
Well, I tried to fiddle with Suse Leap a bit but it had many issues with UEFI that I was too lazy to debug. :)
>>
File: 1360065102848.jpg (177 KB, 308x1115) Image search: [Google]
1360065102848.jpg
177 KB, 308x1115
>>54718773
>Life is too short
t. the guy that plays video gaems

Linux on the desktop is a hobby, just like video games. Let's not insult each other's hobbies.
>>
>>54736080
>some people just love to showcase their own stupidity

This could be the slogan of the modern Internet
>>
>>54736221
Why not Windows on VM?
>>
>>54719038
I just had to install Windows and Ubuntu onto a new PC and had significantly less driver trouble with linux.
Heck, Windows didn't even ship with a driver for my (intel) network chip, which I had to install from CD.
>>
>>54736376
fucking millenials
>>
File: YaST2-2.18.25.png (254 KB, 1920x1171) Image search: [Google]
YaST2-2.18.25.png
254 KB, 1920x1171
>>54736262
YaST is great. With it it's easier to setup a DC in Linux than in Windows - without even seeing the Terminal.
Leap had some serious problems, but yesterday I Installed it on 2 machines and it looks like they managed to solve most of it.
>>
>>54718799
Fedora desu. I've been looking for a distro to have my friend try out linux on, use arch myself but don't want to scare him off (he lacks patience). As far as I can tell there's not much reason to pick *buntu over Fedora, and it seems to have less issues.
>>
>>54726393
>local/libreoffice-fresh 5.1.3-1
W-why anon?
>>
>>54736495
just use the fucking command line holy shit
>>
>>54736509
For someone new to linux, i would choose Mint or if you don't like the Ubuntu Base, Mint Debian Edition. It's easier to use and especially windows users feel like at home instantly.
>>
>>54736535
Why?
>>
>>54735707
Can you tell your people to stop trying to destroy Europe. I don't want to be taken over.
>>
>>54736576
Because it's faster, more efficient
>>
>>54736566
But you could just install Fedora with Cinnamon. Does mint offer anything over that to windows babbies or is it merely cinnamon?
>>
File: Yast_en_ligne_de_commande.png (52 KB, 1649x1007) Image search: [Google]
Yast_en_ligne_de_commande.png
52 KB, 1649x1007
>>54736597
Ok...
>>
>>54736616
>implying ncurses == cli

wow kill yourself
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.