[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a dilemma /g/. I want to git gud at building computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: computer-on-fire.jpg (33 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
computer-on-fire.jpg
33 KB, 500x390
I have a dilemma /g/. I want to git gud at building computers and have with some help built my current one, but I am not competent enough to trust myself installing all the expensive components I bought for it and so did it under supervision.

Is there a way I can find a bunch of cheap as fuck computer parts so I can try and put together something myself without the fear of breaking a $300 component?
>>
>>54717053
Go dumpster diving or to Goodwill you nigger
>>
File: 1122053544406.jpg (6 KB, 251x189) Image search: [Google]
1122053544406.jpg
6 KB, 251x189
>>54717053
> buying shit for literally no reason

Why don't you just watch some youtube videos of people who know what they're doing like the rest of the planet does numbnuts?
>>
>>54717077
Can't trump hands on experience and I really don't want to take any chances.
>>
>>54717053

if you have parts that are compatible (it's almost not a problem if you're not a complete tard) you literally cannot go wrong if you read the manuals (specifically, the motherboard manual)

if you're really concerned, watch a video

it may be a little daunting at first and take time but if you've done it once you can do subsequent builds in no time at all, it's called lego for adults for a reason
>>
How does it feel OP that an 11-year-old living in the British projects is better at building computers than you?

You will never be a whizz kid.
>>
>>54717125
Its pretty shit desu.
>>
>>54717098
do you have a hard time putting legos together too?
>>
>>54717277
Individual lego's don't cost 100s of dollars.
>>
>>54717053
Youd have be some kind of retard to actually break something.
>>
>>54717053
The stuff isn't that fragile. Watch a bunch of people putting together machines on youtube. Get a desktop with a core duo or something on craigslist or onsale at fry's etc. for like 30 bucks and take it all apart and put it back together again.
>>
>>54717098
Why don't you go through trash to find old PC ?
>>
>>54717053
Buy $300 worth of parts off eBay. Put it together, use it as an HTPC or sell it for what you paid for in parts, maybe more if you can.
>>
>>54717053
Work at a computer lab for a year youll be an expert
>>
Jesus Fucking Christ, OP. 'Building' a computer is like one step up from playing with Legos these days. Everything will only fit in one slot, in one way. If it isn't going, rotate it, and try again. This is not fucking hard.

It wasn't hard back in the day either when there was more to worry about (jumpers, master/slave harddrives, etc), but now it is literally retard-easy. Just get your parts and put them together. It is not fucking hard.
>>
>>54717053
Buy a really old/shitty computer off craigslist for cheap. Take it apart and put it back together for practise. Make sure it works in the first place.
>>
built this bitch for $60, plays Fallout 4, and was easy to build. Check with people on Craigslist, local Facebook Classifieds, friends who are cleaning house, curbfinds, and this time of the year when people are getting rid of shit. Shit's like Lego for assembling - just remember some alcohol and brake parts cleaner with some wipes to get shit cleaned (also, a stiff bristled pastry brush is good for cleaning fans and shit), and good thermal paste for your CPU, GPU & chipset.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.