[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows Update
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: Windows Update.png (69 KB, 794x552) Image search: [Google]
Windows Update.png
69 KB, 794x552
9 hours. NINE FUCKING HOURS!!!
nothing

>/rant
>>
>>54700129
>He fell for the Windows 7 meme

Use 8.1 or 10, the old Windows update is a clusterfuck which updates like a 1gb database each time you search for updates and takes 2.5 - 3 hours even on my high end PC. My 4GB ram laptop crashes as updates need close to 5GB ram when database is loading.

M$ at its finest.
>>
>>54700129

Reboot, install these two updates

> Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

> How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Try again, should work fast.

>>54700189
Eat shit and die.
>>
Apt-get update && apt get upgrade
Pacman -syu
>>
Check your clock is the right time.
>>
>>54700129
7 years.

SEVEN FUCKING YEARS!!!!
>>
Literally never had issues with updates.
You retards apparently don't know how to personalize and setup windows properly, but you'll spend a week fucking around with your shitty gentoo
>>
>>54700129
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

You dumb piece of shit
>>
>>54701037
Os is supported. Even XP is still supported, retard.
>>
>>54700129
Switch to lnux Mint

> implying they haven't fortified their security since the hack
>>
>>54700129
>He connects his windows VM to the internet
wew lad
>>
>>54700189
Windows 10 leaves almost no files behind after update. Windows 8.1 still does.
Life is short, embrace the botnet.
>>
>>54701216

even deletes your own http://www.howtogeek.com/243581/windows-10-may-delete-your-programs-without-asking/
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-23_12-29-22.png (45 KB, 689x184) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-23_12-29-22.png
45 KB, 689x184
>>54701085
No it isn't, They only offer support to companies that pay for support now, Mainstream support ended in like 2014.
>>
>>54701245
so does android and most people here have an android phone.
>>
>>54700439
sadly this doesn't always fix the issue
>>
>falling for the update meme
>>
>>54701470

doesn't make it acceptable .
>>
For people who use advanced Linux OSs this board is really fucking stupid when it comes to using an easier OS like Windows.
>>
>>54701245
They delete apps that can cause compatability issues and generate a list of everything removed.

People really only got pissed over Speccy, but a quick check on the forums shows that it was a known issue with GPU-Z that needed to be fixed by the developers.

That said, it's never going to delete your data
>>
>>54701301
Security updates are still offered for the PoS version until 2019, and you can alter your registry to receive those updates, it's the same shit.
>>
>>54701530

sure but remove it without permission? that's shitty man. they could just give you a list telling you these programs have issues

and why remove them, if they are gonna get updated to be resolved anyway ?
>>
>>54701578
for compatibility issues, yes. It sucks, but it's not like the devs didn't know beforehand... not Microsoft's fault
>>
>>54701600
>program works
>windows updates
>program breaks
>not Microsoft's fault

yeah sure buddy
>>
>>54701672
That's what the developer and consumer previews were for, dipshit. For a site with such a hardon for FOSS, some of you people really seem depend on proprietary methodology.
>>
>>54701719

what the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>54701728
*dependent
>>
File: 1463790556007.png (73 KB, 797x357) Image search: [Google]
1463790556007.png
73 KB, 797x357
>>54701301
It is, retard.
>>
>>54701770
Oh, I didn't know you used a POS machine as your daily driver, carry on
>>
>>54700129
so does any other linux distro
>>
Didn't they just release some standalone "SP" that contains most updates?
http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/18/microsoft-windows-7-service-pack/

>inb4 >engadget
>>
>>54701783
You just need to switch a registry value, retard
>>
>>54701801
Yes
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/17/microsoft-updating-windows-7-8-1-easier/

>>54700129
You might want this OP. Or Simplix update Pack
http://forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html
On MDL:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/45005-Simplix-Pack-to-update-Live-Win7-System-Integrate-hotfixes-into-Win7-distribution
>>
File: newpc.png (48 KB, 767x616) Image search: [Google]
newpc.png
48 KB, 767x616
>>54701842
I *just* built a new PC for my parents two days ago, I tried both the Win7 SP1 unmodified ISO and the Win7 slipstreamed (personally using DISM) with the convenience rollup and neither would work when selecting the AHCI SATA driver during the Win7 install. I eventually gave up, used the media creator to create a win10 USB (which accepted the SATA driver immediately without complaint) and activated it using their Windows 7 retail key.

Win7 is great but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and goes out of support in 3.5 years.
>>
File: 1234u2309.jpg (4 KB, 150x113) Image search: [Google]
1234u2309.jpg
4 KB, 150x113
>>54700129
>autists stare at windows update screen
>autists stare at windows defrag screen
>autists stare at download progress bar

pro-tip: minimize the window and forget about it!
>>
windows 7 is the worst os of the NT family.
>>
Meanwhile, updating Linux takes 9 seconds.
>>
>>54702037
Congrats. You must be the only person on /g/ who failed to install 7 on Skylake. It takes a lot of effort, I must admit, to fail this one.
>>
I've updated my computer twice in 5 years

What's the point?
>>
>>54702202
I assume it was Intel or Gigabyte fucking up the drivers because I downloaded Win7 SP1 Pro x64 media, verified the hash against official MSDN hashes, put it on USB, put the SATA drivers on USB (and then as a secondary on a DVD-R) and the installer wouldn't fucking take them. It recognized the driver as applicable but gave an error message when you selected it and hit next.

Win10 has some nice new features anyways including newer DirectX support, secure boot (which I did enable for my parents, it makes getting persistent malware much harder), better UEFI support, virtual desktops, faster boot than Win7, etc.
>>
>>54702079
Eh.

XP had a lot of issues before it became good in the late SP2/early SP3 days. Vista was bloated as shit for a while, 7 really polished it. Win8 was an overall good release marred in usability for desktop users because of metro (easily overcome with a start menu replacement).

I definitely would not consider Win7 worse than Vista (although I think the amount of hate Vista gets is too much, it wasn't that bad if you had a decent machine by the time SP1 came out).
>>
>>54702278
>Win8 was an overall good release
opinion discarded. if you think 8 was a good OS (UI aside) you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>54702293
I ran it from day one. What specifically are we bitching about?

Secure boot: easily disabled if it rustles your jimmies.
Start menu replacements existed for release day and worked great to make the user experience more traditional.

Are we talking public perception or its usability/stability/security with minor tweaks (e.g. start menu replacement)?
>>
>>54702309
>Fucked shadw copy
>Forced cloud integration
>Forced Store
>No SKU to support NFS (though I think this is the case with 10 as well)
>No GDI support (the only reason it was removed was because METRO crap was not running if you enabled it)
Oh don't even get me started on the bullshit with the internal clock and the mouse issues. That OS was a fucking disaster and so was 8.1 which fixed nothing. All the claims about 8.1 fixing 8 were flat out lies. Paid ones as well.
>>
>>54702354
>>No SKU to support NFS (though I think this is the case with 10 as well)
Besides Enterprise, ofc
>>
>>54701470
Android literally never does that you fucktard.
>>
>>54702354
I never used shadow copy but I could see why some people got jimmies rustled.
>Forced cloud integration
such as? You could make a local account and not use the Microsoft Store for apps.
>Forced store
Wasn't that only for getting the 8.1 update, otherwise you could just not log into it?
>Lack of NFS
In the consumer versions, although I agree it was a dickish move on MS' part.

I'm curious about the mouse issues and GDI (I didn't experience mouse issues and I thought Win8 RAISED the GDI object limit, not eliminated it). And the internal clock I thought was more an issue for accurate benchmarks of the PC's own hardware, or are there widespread issues caused by that beyond benchmarking?
>>
>>54700129
>windows
>>
>>54700439
THIS
Also, why don't you have a fucking ISO with all the install already slipstreamed?
OP is a fucking moron
>>
>>54702405
>such as? You could make a local account and not use the Microsoft Store for apps.
Even if you disable it through GPEdit, you still get its directories regenerating.

>Wasn't that only for getting the 8.1 update, otherwise you could just not log into it?
No, it was a 'hub' for their METRO nonsense. This one you could merely block it, but not disable.

>I'm curious about the mouse issues
Had a dumb polling rate limit (I asume they fixed it, I hope) which jerked your mouse unless you were using 60Hz monitor.

>>54702405
>are there widespread issues caused by that beyond benchmarking
Yeah, for instance time calculation was innacurat. 60 seconds for W8, were more like 57-58 seconds irl.
>>
>>54700129
Just upgrade already bruh. Windows 10 is waiting for you.
>>
>Windows 10 auto updates drivers
>Completely breaks microSD card support
>there's no way to revert to the older drivers on this obscure tablet

Thanks Bill!
>>
>>54702545
Microsoft enabling automatic update of drivers is the road to hell paved with good intentions.

Case in point:
I built a PC for my mother in 2007 (Core 2 Duo forget the model/4GB DDR2/512MB Radeon HD3850). The 3850 wasn't even driver supported on 10...but the automatic update took her to ten anyways then installed some podunk driver from 2015 that it thought was a fit and then the computer was hosed.

I use OO Shutup10 whenever I install a computer now as an easy way to tick down most of the privacy related options quickly and I always disable automatic driver updates on Win10 installs. It isn't worth it.

I swore of Microsoft's driver screening after the FTDI fiasco.
>>
>>54701832
Pajeet, calling everyone a retard makes you the retard.
>>
>>54701842
>http://forum.oszone.net/thread-257198.html
cyka blyat
Like I'm ever allowing a russian piece of software anywhere near my pc
>>
>>54701512
Windows isn't "easier", it's more convenient for people who don't want to bother with that shit. Working with it is a nightmare.
>>
>>54704499
You can even unpack it with 7zip to see what it does, genius. Also there's a thread on MDL about it.

And it's suka and blyad, btw..
>>
>>54704666
>666
This was a strange day o.O
>>
>>54702037
Isn't that a usb driver issue?

>>54700129
Your issue stems from trying to use the original Windows updater, which has been updated multiple times since sp1. You can install the new one manually, or skip the whole thing.

There's a rollup update that you can download manually and install, it bypasses the WUA bullshit.
>>
>>54702278
Nigga windows 8 was so bad that Microshit was force to reinclude a start menu in 8.1. I don't know who's the fucking retard who thought this was a good idea, in '95, microsoft was very proud of their new Start menu.
>>
>>54704970
I don't think so. It was able to see the drivers on both USB and DVD, and then even see files on the existing SSD (was backed up and was going to reformat in the next step of setup) but it wouldn't proceed.
>>
>>54702472
>OP is a moron for not knowing about a series of hotfixes for the clusterfuck that is Windows Update
Yesterday I updated Fedora. About a hundred packages, including the kernel. Under 1GB and because of delta packages it only downloaded a little over 400MB. That's a full-system update.
>>
>>54700129
This is a known issue on windows 7 clean install.

First of all you should be using win7 with sp1 or should manually install sp1 if not done yet.

Then just after clean install, you HAVE to install these two updates KB3112343 and KB3135445.
Now the scan will work correctly and you will see hundreds of updates after around 10-20 minutes.

I'm not sure this fix will work for scenarios other than clean install.
There's also a new bug you will experience after some updates. Its high memory and cpu usage by svchost.exe process .

Now to actually install the updates you should first install the recently released convenience rollup.
Its around 450 mb file for x64, takes 15-30 min to install (looks like its not working but it works)

After this restart and scan for updates again. You should hopefully get reduced updates this time. Install these as you wish.

Mind you Im stuck in last step (updates don't begin downloading ).
>>
I disabled windows update years ago. I just feel "security updates" is so vague they probably don't do much. I still don't have the GWX app
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.