[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask someone who sold their tech startup for millions but loathes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12
File: 1433446458189.png (38 KB, 660x495) Image search: [Google]
1433446458189.png
38 KB, 660x495
Ask someone who sold their tech startup for millions but loathes them self so much they still come to 4chan anything.
>>
>>54697040
Name of startup?
>>
What's your favorite meme
>>
how many millions?
>>
You have millions, you made coin. Why would you hate yourself? You're now financially secure for life. You can literally loan a million or two and live off the interests for life and keep millions with you until you die.

You did it, you win at life.
>>
>>54697099
have you ever gotten what you wanted and you still weren't happy? or when that one thing wasn't what you thought it was?
>>
File: sukuna_reimu1.jpg (185 KB, 1024x955) Image search: [Google]
sukuna_reimu1.jpg
185 KB, 1024x955
what do you think of molecular nanotechnology and recent developments in artificial molecular machines?
>>
>>54697040
Go travel live it up. Your just depressed because your still living in depression ville USA.
>>
>>54697099
>You can literally loan a million or two and live off the interests for life and keep millions with you until you die.

You what?\

why would you ever do p2p loans, you'll get raped in taxes versus just putting it in ETFs
>>
>>54697127
no
>>
File: 1jew.gif (3 MB, 419x313) Image search: [Google]
1jew.gif
3 MB, 419x313
>>54697099
>You have millions, you made coin. Why would you hate yourself?
>You did it, you win at life.
>>
>>54697050
>>54697077
>>54697099
>these anons actually think OP is telling the truth.
Kek
>>
Money = happiness.
That's exactly how it works OP, so clearly you are a liar.

If you were actually rich you could fill your house with Apple products, and then your life would be perfect.
>>
>>54697050
Bump
>>
>>54697077
>>54697099
Why didn't you check these dubs?
>>
File: 1447468727647.png (27 KB, 500x481) Image search: [Google]
1447468727647.png
27 KB, 500x481
>>54697050
Not going to specify, horrible politically to be connected to this site. Its not mine anymore but I still want to see it grow.
>>54697056
Pepe the frog
>>54697099
There is more to life than money.
>>54697132
The field has potential.
>>
File: 1412116952872.jpg (160 KB, 479x900) Image search: [Google]
1412116952872.jpg
160 KB, 479x900
>>54697177
>>
>>54697196
>dumb frogposter
>>
>>54697127
Not really. Everyone on earth strives for 1 single thing: to not have to worry about money or getting up for work tomorrow. You did it, you win, now you can enjoy life however you want to. A privilege over 90% of us will never get close to reaching?

Are you resenting having all this money? Would have you preferred being born a deaf orphan or something?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1463416599826.jpg (46 KB, 1045x656) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1463416599826.jpg
46 KB, 1045x656
>>54697127
>Tfw that actually happened to me once
>once it happened to me I rejected it
>I live with the regret until this day
>>
>>54697040
How is "will this scale?" hard to comprehend?

It literally means "will this support a larger vision/userbase/amount than it already does?"

Fucking autists.
>>
File: 1444148644582.png (100 KB, 299x376) Image search: [Google]
1444148644582.png
100 KB, 299x376
>>54697288
The money is nice, what you don't realize is that people actually want more. Its hard to see this when most of your thoughts are about "not have to worry about money or getting up for work tomorrow"
>>
>>54697142
Don't lie, you want the same thing. There's a jew(tm) inside us all and that's okay. We all want ultimate financial security, that's not a bad thing.
>>
>>54697040
are you that kid who made a band aids vending machine?
>>
File: 1365768103480.png (241 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
1365768103480.png
241 KB, 501x585
>>54697288
>Everyone on earth strives for 1 single thing: to not have to worry about money or getting up for work tomorrow.

>Jobs has more money then he could ever spend in a lifetime
>Finds out has cancer
>Spends every minute of his life that he can at work

This is something you probably can't understand.
Some people strive to create things and change the world.
Other people strive to own things created by others and pretend to be impotent by proxy.
>>
>>54697343
>We all want ultimate financial security
We already have that, unless your living in a third world country.

I could quit my job, live off of welfare and be financially secure.

I would not be happy because I will die knowing I had no impact on the world, and i'm literally just living off the work other (better) people have done.
>>
>>54697341
>The money is nice, what you don't realize is that people actually want more.
True but now you're financially secure and can expend more energy toward your goals/dreams. Money isn't everything but it's literally the foundation on which things are built on.
>>
>>54697403
>your
Third world education detected.

Also, you're not gonna make an impact regardless of whether you work or not
>>
>>54697040
Look at you. Fucking LOOK at you. Did you forget where you are? You're at 4chan. Fucking 4CHAN. Not Reddit, not Tumblr, not one of a myriad of fucking "safe spaces" where you can crouch in your hugbox and be coddled in cotton. You're in the asshole of the Internet, son.

Now eat a bowl of concrete and HARDEN THE FUCK UP.
>>
>>54697358
>Some people strive to create things and change the world.
I guess but first they strive to not have to worry about money or getting up for work tomorrow like I said. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Fact is if it wasn't for the dream to have money or not have to go into work tomorrow a lot of the things we have would have never been created. That's why we made up a system where pieces of paper govern the value of life, to drive forward progress and desiccate conformism.
>>
>>54697445
>Also, you're not gonna make an impact regardless of whether you work or not

You have no idea how much of an impact everyone has on the world.

When a man lands on the moon, he's not the only one making an impact.
Everyone from the engineers at NASA to the janitors who clean the engineers shit off the toilet got him there.
>>
Well at least you can sit and stew on 4chan for as long as you like - you've earned it. Having time to hate yourself is a luxury.
>>
>>54697533
>You have no idea how much of an impact everyone has on the world.
They don't. Not everyone can be Albert Einstein or Terry Davis. Less than ~1% of humans on earth have an impact on the world. The rest are just cogs in a wheel driving forward humanity in a steady linear fashion.

>Everyone from the engineers at NASA to the janitors who clean the engineers shit off the toilet got him there.
But the ones that actually mattered can be put on a short list. Not everyone is important, deal with it. Yeah that janitor helped clean shit off the toilets but he could have been replace by millions of other people.
>>
>>54697040
Book a flight to mars.
>>
I can't think of a single case in which OP pic does not apply.
>>
>>54697040
Will it scale?
>>
>>54697631
>terry davis
Top lel

@op
Are you going to try to turn your millions into billions?
>>
>>54697099
Absolutely not millions won't last long and the loaning thing is risky.

He can very easily get work though and be comfy.
>>
>>54697775
He can move to some 3rd world country like Vietnam or SEA shithole
Hell he can live like king with that kind of money in any developing country
>>
>>54697775
>Absolutely not millions won't last long and the loaning thing is risky.
Depends on how you go about doing it. Safest bet would be to buy 4 250k homes and rent them out for example. You can charge 2k a month for rent for each home and have $8,000 a month to spend on whatever the fuck you wanted to for life. Make a few repairs here and there, maybe kick some shitty renters out a few times but other than that you'd be golden.

>He can very easily get work though and be comfy.
He doesn't have to unless he likes his job I guess. He is free to follow his dreams of becoming an artist, entrepreneur or whatever.
>>
>>54697882
>Safest bet would be to buy 4 250k homes and rent them out for example.

Property manager here.

Renting out is not profitable for the vast majority of people. It becomes profitable when you are a huge property management conglomerate with 100+ tenants. Otherwise one or two squatters, dog people, or crackheads can easily lose you 100% of your original investment.

Predatory renters exist and absolutely target small-town buy-and-rent-out folk, because they can't afford the lawyers for a protracted landlord-tenant dispute and/or won't risk evicting tenants period because they only have 2-4 units to rent and that's 1/2-1/4 of their income.
>>
>>54697939
>redatory renters exist and absolutely target small-town buy-and-rent-out folk, because they can't afford the lawyers for a protracted landlord-tenant dispute and/or won't risk evicting tenants period because they only have 2-4 units to rent and that's 1/2-1/4 of their income.
Where are you located?
I know a landlord and all he has to do to get rid of a tenant is file a notice, if they don't leave in 2 weeks he can (and has) had the police come in and drag them out.
>>
>>54697040
why arent you doing coke and whores 7x24?

are you a faggot or something?
>>
>>54697972
>Where are you located?
New York City.
But my company also covers a few rentals in New Jersey, and they are just as bad.
>>
>>54697445
>>your
>Third world education detected.
That's funny because this error is exclusive to native speakers of English
>>
>>54697939
>Renting out is not profitable for the vast majority of people. It becomes profitable when you are a huge property management conglomerate with 100+ tenants. Otherwise one or two squatters, dog people, or crackheads can easily lose you 100% of your original investment.
Which is why you screen them out first and kick the ones that get past screening ASAP. It's not like you wouldn't check the property every bow and then. Putting annual contracts and inspections, and fees for damaged property (walls, doors, windows, ect) is a minimum for renting property right?

>Predatory renters exist and absolutely target small-town buy-and-rent-out folk, because they can't afford the lawyers for a protracted landlord-tenant dispute
OP says he has millions, I'm sure he has enough coin for the lawyers. Even if he didn't and all he had was 1 million (to which say he invested in the homes) he could always take out loans if he couldn't fucking save enough money over 2-3 months from his 8k income.

>and/or won't risk evicting tenants period because they only have 2-4 units to rent and that's 1/2-1/4 of their income.
OP will have to survive on 4-6k a month for a few months, the horror.
>>
>>54697631
>Albert Einstein or Terry Davis
topkek

>But the ones that actually mattered can be put on a short list.
Yes, because Albert Einstein could have spent most of his life working on physics while growing his own food / building his own home, equipment, exc. / protecting himself from criminals / processing his waste. He just chose not to.

>Yeah that janitor helped clean shit off the toilets but he could have been replace by millions of other people.
The grand daddy of quitter myths.
>>
>>54697939
Fuck it's like silicon valley
>>
>>54697040
make ANOTHER startup, bonus: in a different field
or just go work on something
>>
>>54698044
>Which is why you screen them out first and kick the ones that get past screening ASAP. It's not like you wouldn't check the property every bow and then. Putting annual contracts and inspections, and fees for damaged property (walls, doors, windows, ect) is a minimum for renting property right?
just to be clear it is never this easy

you can screen a tenant, but cannot predict if they are a stand-in for someone else in order to pass screening. They can hand the key to anyone, that person can squat, and squatters rights apply. I have seen this happen in many NYC apartments.

>It's not like you wouldn't check the property every bow and then. Putting annual contracts and inspections, and fees for damaged property (walls, doors, windows, ect) is a minimum for renting property right?
generally this is illegal. The landlord cannot enter the property without the tenant's permission or giving notice, unless it is an emergency threatening life. Otherwise they get sued by the crackheads. I have seen this happen in many NYC apartments.

The ACTUAL approach to this kind of problem is a security deposit. But security deposits never cover the entire cost of a property or the sheer volume of damage a predatory renter could do. They are usually equal to one month's rent or 10015% of annual rent which is nowhere near enough to pay for repairing structure, walls, etc.

Just a story. I once personally worked with a tenant who passed every background and credit check 100%. Seemed like a very nice young professional woman. Two weeks later, she'd vanished off the face of the earth along with ALL OF THE APPLIANCES AND COPPER PIPING from her rental. Literally torn out of the walls for scrap. The rest of the place was gutted like you wouldn't believe. This woman was like 4 foot tall...to this day I have no clue how she did it.
>>
>>54697132
I suggest molecularly assembling 2hu via nanotechnology, therefore making an artificial molecular machine that acts like a 2hu.

oh, and market verticals.
>>
>>54698119
>you can screen a tenant, but cannot predict if they are a stand-in for someone else in order to pass screening. They can hand the key to anyone, that person can squat, and squatters rights apply. I have seen this happen in many NYC apartments.

NYC has some pretty fucked up renters laws.
>>
>>54698144
>NYC has some pretty fucked up renters laws.
you would not believe. It is basically impossible to have a tenant evicted without at least 6 months of court fuckery.

I have never worked in property management anywhere else but hear most big cities are the same. Rural and suburban places better thanks to streamlined legal networks but the law ALWAYS tends to favor tenants over landlords.
>>
>>54698158
>you would not believe. It is basically impossible to have a tenant evicted without at least 6 months of court fuckery.
Is that why it's impossible to get an apartment?
>>
File: 1381743889269.jpg (41 KB, 249x350) Image search: [Google]
1381743889269.jpg
41 KB, 249x350
>>54698158
Is it true you have to pay the manager a bribe in order to get into an apartment?
>>
>>54698119
>generally this is illegal. The landlord cannot enter the property without the tenant's permission or giving notice, unless it is an emergency threatening life. Otherwise they get sued by the crackheads. I have seen this happen in many NYC apartments.
>The ACTUAL approach to this kind of problem is a security deposit. But security deposits never cover the entire cost of a property or the sheer volume of damage a predatory renter could do. They are usually equal to one month's rent or 10015% of annual rent which is nowhere near enough to pay for repairing structure, walls, etc.
>Just a story. I once personally worked with a tenant who passed every background and credit check 100%. Seemed like a very nice young professional woman. Two weeks later, she'd vanished off the face of the earth along with ALL OF THE APPLIANCES AND COPPER PIPING from her rental. Literally torn out of the walls for scrap. The rest of the place was gutted like you wouldn't believe. This woman was like 4 foot tall...to this day I have no clue how she did it.

Holy shit mang, I had no idea renting properties was this complex and scary. Still a worthwhile investment to look into. Better than having 1 million dollars in the bank doing nothing but wasting away.

Anyway thank you for all the info, very interesting.
>>
>>54698119
>Two weeks later, she'd vanished off the face of the earth along with ALL OF THE APPLIANCES
Why are your apartments filled with appliances?
That's a new one for me.
>>
>>54698168
>Is that why it's impossible to get an apartment?
This is just high demand, and recent changes in how brokerage worked. I am not a broker but a property manager, however I have worked with many brokers.

Used to be, tenant pays a "brokers fee" when searching for an apartment. Just like you pay a realtor when buying a house. But recently with millennial and new housing trends, people think it is normal to have a "no-fee" apartment. To get the service of a realtor and broker for essentially nothing. And they refuse to even consider apartments with a fee.

Because of this, shady brokers dominate the market for this type of renter. They use tricks like increasing the rent on ads, then calculating out the cost of a brokers' fee and taking it off the top. Usually the tenants arren't even told about this, they just think they're getting a good deal where in reality they're paying $250/month more for their entire residence there instead of a few thousand upfront. An honest broker cannot compete and so many have gone out of business.

Skip forward 5 years, now you have a city where ~1 in every 15 units is uninhabited, but we don't have the employed brokers around to move the units because their entire source of income has vanished.
>>
>>54698206
>Why are your apartments filled with appliances?
Hi anon,

Most apartments come with oven, dishwasher, laundry machines. Sometimes microwave.

This particular unit had communal laundry machines in the basement. 4 washer and 4 dryer. Fucking pixie woman stole all 8 machines, torn from wall including piping and electrical. Machines worth more than an entire year's rent paid in a unit.
>>
>>54698119
Not American, what are "squatters rights" I thought you were talking about slavs at first.
>>
File: 1380092381822.jpg (48 KB, 848x403) Image search: [Google]
1380092381822.jpg
48 KB, 848x403
>>54698247
>Used to be, tenant pays a "brokers fee" when searching for an apartment. Just like you pay a realtor when buying a house. But recently with millennial and new housing trends, people think it is normal to have a "no-fee" apartment. To get the service of a realtor and broker for essentially nothing. And they refuse to even consider apartments with a fee.

That's because everywhere else in America the property owner, not the renter pays the brokers fee.
Usually it's about whatever first months rent is for the property.

They have the reverse problem of getting spammed with bad tenants by brokers who just want a commission.

NewYork sounds like opposite land.
>>
>>54698318
haha, /int/ maymays xD mehmet my son xDD
>>
>>54697040
What is your favourite anime? Depending on your answer I may label you an OK guy or a filthy piece of shit
>>
>>54698318
>Not American, what are "squatters rights" I thought you were talking about slavs at first.
It means, if someone is in a residence, you cannot remove them with force. You can sometimes get legal permission to break in, remove their stuff, change locks -- but only if they leave the rental on their own first. Not while they're inside, or their friend is inside squatting or them.

Essentially it comes down to, by forcefully removing you are endangering their life. I have some agreements with the law this way but it is very exploitable. You also cannot cut the power or water or heat usually, for the same reason.

So the way you fix this is go to court and get a court order. This takes months, months that you will not be receiving any rent. You are also essentially ensuring they will destroy the place on their way out, causing as much damage as possible because you are the "bad guy" for making them pay rent and fighting back when they don't.
>>
>>54698290
>This particular unit had communal laundry machines in the basement. 4 washer and 4 dryer. Fucking pixie woman stole all 8 machines, torn from wall including piping and electrical. Machines worth more than an entire year's rent paid in a unit.

I get ovens, but iv never seen a place with personal dish/laundry/microwave/exc. sounds nice.

How did no one stop her?
If I was renting and saw someone removing all the community shit I would say something, or call someone.
>>
>>54697040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmqJZCCFVI
>>
File: vca.png (2 MB, 889x1034) Image search: [Google]
vca.png
2 MB, 889x1034
What do you spend your money on anon?

Get a legit watch yet?
>>
>>54697319
It's a meme you dip
>my to be expected 6 billion user data I need scalability
>>
>>54698368
>How did no one stop her?
>If I was renting and saw someone removing all the community shit I would say something, or call someone.
I have only a suspicion.

In new york, you see a lot of people doing strange things. Obviously the machines must be changed sometime and if you have enough charisma and good enough at lying, you can get anyone to just keep walking.

I once saw two people, literally cutting ATM out of a brick wall next to a bodega (convenience store), using circular saw. Like a robbery from cartoons. Stood there for a second, lots of other people walking by. Finally the guy notice me and says "oh, it's ok, we work for the ATM company." They had credentials in their truck but were not wearing uniforms or anything.

Everyone else on the street didn't even bother stopping to look or ask. Certainly didn't check his credentials.
>>
>>54698029
Only native English speakers would think any grammar error is exclusive to native English speakers.

Congratulations.
>>
>>54698594
English is my second language, lad. I know what I'm talking about. People here have abysmal English but they NEVER misspell "you're". Middle Eastern Yurop btw.
>>
>>54698594
>>54698616
To be clear on this, we know it's you're, we type your anyway because it's faster, and there is zero confusion about what we are actually saying.

It's like fampi instead of family.
>>
>>54698649
Sure you do, Nigel.
>>
>>54698649
I'm not native English, I make the mistake occasionally because I type as I think how it would be spoken in English. It's a result of typing fast without thinking how to spell things.
>>
>>54697040
Did it scale?
>>
>>54697445
brand spanking new
>>
Op as a fellow anon that made it "rich" 2 years ago my only advice is to not live rich. I'm not saying don't buy a nice fancy house and car etc etc etc. I'm just saying don't spend it like a rich person would you know? Expensive meals, useless stuff and the rest. I made nearly 20 million off an idea I pitched to a certain engineering company, and I'm surprised my idea was valued as such. At first I didn't know how to feel, like is this even happening. For that whole month I didn't know what to do, I pretty much made it. I continued to work with them for another year even though I didn't have to. In the first year I spent a million on a house, car and furniture. The following year I spent another million investing in housing buildings and other things and now I'm not working anymore. The only work I do is watching over the few assets I have(makes me feel like a mob boss don't judge me). Now, I never told my family that I became a millionaire because I didn't want them to treat me any differently from before. Obviously they were a bit confused on how I could afford such a house and car(2015 maxima btw) in such a small amount of time. I just gave a bs foreclosure auction excuse and that there was a promotion at work. So far, I'm glad they don't look at me any differently. They still think I work at the old place and everything is the same. I join them for dinner every Sunday and everything is still the same.I really don't want to tell them for that reason alone. I still live my life the same way I always have, nothing changed at all. Not my clothing choices, my spending habits nor has my character changed.
The rest of the 17 million I don't touch really. I buy some groceries, pay bills etc etc. I still eat at the same restaurants, I still take the subway like your normal new yorker.. You get the idea.
Point is, give yourself purpose and try not to change into something you're not. I grew up poor in NYC, I know how it is to strive for money. I still act like poor lol
>>
>>54698824
don't worry about it, english is a clusterfuck
>>
>>54697175
>apple products
>perfect

NO.
>>
>>54698029
Third worlder checking in to let you know you're a lying faggot.
>>
>>54698974
>>
>>54698966
That's the way to do it man, good on you.
>>
>>54699530
>>54699530
>>
>>54699521
At least I'm not from the third world lol.
>>
>>54697040
Fuck off you lying cunt.

The only thing you sold was a lie for a million pennies.
>>
>>54699598
>>54699598
>>
>>54697040
How can I be as edgy as you?

I too want to be on the Internet and provide lies to retards that believe them.
>>
>>54697077
>>54697077
>>
>>54697099
>>54697099
>>54697099
>>
File: 1463357635026.png (572 KB, 656x703) Image search: [Google]
1463357635026.png
572 KB, 656x703
>>54699637
>>54699656
>>54699683
Thanks anon, every post deserves a reply.

He is yours.
>>
>>54697176
What did Bump do that set it apart from other companies?
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.