[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
eGPU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 4400331_20160106020640.jpg (380 KB, 982x800) Image search: [Google]
4400331_20160106020640.jpg
380 KB, 982x800
Hi, i was searching and found this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OkQrzdE_I8 , do you guys ever tried to make one? and it works properly ?
>>
>>
File: svm2jqeconkkicbuj8pe.jpg (618 KB, 1280x703) Image search: [Google]
svm2jqeconkkicbuj8pe.jpg
618 KB, 1280x703
>>
eGPUs are fucking retarded. You're forgetting most laptops have shit dual-core processors that throttle to 2GHz when under load.
>>
>>54695293
So use a cooler pad?
>>
>>54695358
No build a custom desktop like everyone else. Give up on eGPUs, they're just a meme to cuck mactards out of more money.

Laptop processors just simply have too little cooling even with a cooling pad so they throttle around 2 GHz when put under heavy load.
>>
>>54695404
What if you already own a laptop with a decent cpu? Like a quad core, or a high end dual core with hyperthreading.

My i7 2620m + hd6630m gives me ~40 fps in bf4 900p, I'm sure newer laptops have more powerful processors.
>>
i have an
i7 3610qm
8gb ram
500 gb ssd
-INTEL HD GRAPHICS 4000 (this thing kills me)
but i want to play games like division with a good fps (obviously not on ultra settings)
>>
>>54695552
That's plenty, Just get an egpu
>>
>>54695293
Not if you want to game on a sexy Mac
>>
>>54697663
>Have a computer because it is "sexy".
>Doing something on it which is completely at odds with "sexy".
Sure thing, champ. That's definitely how it works.
>>
>>54695203

Here's my problem with eGPUs. Every solution I've seen so far that wasn't proprietary and specific to one model of laptop only works with an external display. Which means you've got to spend money on an external GPU ($300 for a decent enthusiast card), external display (Say $200 for something not garbage, not amazing), a decent PSU ($50 so it doesn't explode), and the eGPU hardware ($60 is fairly average for one that doesn't fall apart and has all the nicks and knacks for working with an ATX PSU). Which is $610 extra over whatever you've spent on your laptop, already. And it only works when you're at home/work/dorm/stationary, in front of this display and external adapter. Which means 3 plugs taken up (screen, laptop, eGPU).

I can't really think of a laptop with a worthwhile processor that makes that extra $610 and stationary practice worth-while. Hell, that extra $610 could have been dropped into getting a laptop with a built-in enthusiast GPU, among other better specs.

>"I've had this laptop for X amount of years, anon, I just wanna game"
Money is better saved for a decent gaming desktop. Your processor is crap and out of date and probably weak to begin with.
>"But muh relative got me this laptop. I didn't have a choice!"
I cannot believe your relative managed to find the one laptop out there with a REAL mobile quad-core i7 and no upgraded GPU to match up with it for performance. And even if they did, once again, money is better saved for a decent gaming desktop.
>"It's the company's laptop. Can't mod it, or buy a different one."
Don't game on someone else's property, faggot.
>>
>>54698358
Nvidia cards don't have this problem. They can just mirror the image to the internal display.

Plus if you're buying a desktop you'll need to buy the screen regardless. It's a great solution if you already have a laptop, or are looking to save space.
>>
>>54698546

The nVidia "optimus" solution is hit or miss, and still model reliant. Won't work on my Y550, definitely doesn't work on my Asus K-Series, And it worked on an elitebook I owned, but was buggy as hell because Optimus.

As well, yes, you need a display with a Desktop too. But that $550 you spend on parts could go into a Desktop instead of a gimped laptop. And once you factor in the extra box, additional desk real-estate taken up by parts of the laptop you're not using for input, and once again, that third power cable, you're basically saving no space over a Mini-ITX desktop. Hell, stack your Monitor on your Mini-ITX display and consume even less space.
As for if you already had one, once again, it's money better invested in getting a desktop separate from your laptop, since even a low-end Desktop i3 will outclass the majority of laptop i5s. It's not until you hit the True Quad-Core mobile i7's that you start seeing desktop-like performance, and any laptop with one of those should have a pretty capable GPU built-in, or would fetch a pretty-enough penny after market that you could build a decent Desktop, and snatch a used Ultrabook with what you could eBay it for.
>>
>>54699833
>$550 of parts
Most egpu adapters come with the power supply and cables, so you'll only need a gpu and screen.
>>54699833
>>
>>54699961

The $550 is a GPU, PSU, and Monitor and references the $610 from >>54698358

And most eGPU adapters I've come across include 1 of 3 possible cables (mPCI-E/M.2, expresscard, or PCI-E 1x/4x/16x) and NO PSU included. I've seen a couple with power-brick style PSUs included, but they were limited to certain models due to the total draw. Usually below 200w, and meant that dual 6-pin/8-pin GPUs were strictly out of the question (High-end R9 or 9xx series cards)
>>
>>54695404
>Laptop processors just simply have too little cooling even with a cooling pad so they throttle around 2 GHz when put under heavy load.

Uhh no. Stop buying HP laptops and talk again. Every single laptop cpu i've ever seen or owned has never throttled on me and the only one that has ever come to mind about throttling is the mac air.
>>
>>54700007
The ones I've seen come with 200w dell power bricks and usually cost around 70aud (last time I checked). Plenty for someone who will stick a gtx 960 into his laptop
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.