[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gigabit by 2019? Or totally fucked? I honestly don't think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
File: Australia.png (10 KB, 472x230) Image search: [Google]
Australia.png
10 KB, 472x230
Gigabit by 2019? Or totally fucked?

I honestly don't think either Labor's FTTP or Liberal's FTTN would have actually been finished by 2019 but at least Labor was pushing for decent infrastructure rather than cost saving.
>>
Yeah that ain't happening but Labor is the best bet.
>>
We're never going to have decent speeds, Aus will always be behind other countries and this fibre to the node bs just pushes us back further. Isn't all this work/equipment useless for when we get around to actual fibre to the premise?
>>
Aus fag here, we're basically fucked.
>>
>>54680115
seeing i live in the most central suburb in Brisbane and only get 6 mbit/s. I highly doubt id be getting those speeds anytime soon.
>>
>>54680115
Whenever Rupert Murdoch croaks (read: never).

High speed low latency internet (enabling Netflix) is a threat to Foxtel/On Demand, half the government are on the Telstra payroll, and the other half are retards that truly believed 1.5mbps is enough for another 30 years because "all you do is check email anyway"
>>
File: 1462772492013.gif (628 KB, 516x402) Image search: [Google]
1462772492013.gif
628 KB, 516x402
FTTN might be scrapped in favour of FTTdp

>tfw suburb is 60% covered with FTTP and they've probably moved on to the next suburb rather than connect the rest of us
>>
>>54680415
holy fuck i cant wait for that cunt to die
>>
File: speed.png (31 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
speed.png
31 KB, 300x135
Just build a new house - most new estates have FTTP.
>>
>>54680415

A shame since Netflix is probably the most legitimate excuse we have since nobody would admit to wanting faster speeds for pirating movies/TV shows.
>>
>>54680423
Already happening. House/estates within a 500m radius where I lived had FTTP installed back in 2013, the others in the area for the most part are covered by Opticomn, while mine got cancelled after the Malcomn Turnbull incident (due for 2017 originally).

Could've been worse however, the entire suburb has no copper installed because it was due for FTTP, with the only house having ADSL being mine due to it being on the edge, as well as facing the main road.
>>
>>54680474
Honestly as someone who has nbn speeds via cable I no longer need to pirate. Everything I want to watch is on netflix and with 100mbps and an American proxy I can watch pretty much whatever I like in full HD, if not UHD.

Upload speed is fucking shit though. Like 100/1
>>
>>54680456
I moved into a new place a few months ago, it has it installed but it isn't turned on. What bullshit is that?
>>
>>54680504
Apartment building owned by chingas?
>>
How cute. Australia thinks it has a political system...
>>
>>54680535
Where are you from?
>>
>>54680497
More or less what happened here, except instead of a modern housing estate it's an entire suburb where for years the only option was dialup or satellite, until 3G and 4G came in but were wildly expensive, and they kept pushing the NBN as a reason we don't need to upgrade the exchange, but now that might not be coming
>>
>>54680535
>implying it doesnt have one of the best political systems in the world
>>
>>54680558
Best for the politicians, you mean
>>
>>54680547
>>54680558
He's right, we're an Oligarchy - our politics are controlled by the ruling class/financial elite who buy loyalty from our representatives.

Only Switzerland has a truly democratic system.
>>
>>54680565
Politicians lets face it are self important, self-interested and think they are better than everyone. That's by nature. If you provide them with everything they need without them having to whore themselves out to corporate masters we are obviously going to get a benefit from that.

>>54680577
no we might become one if the current government stays in power
>mfw defends the banks
>mfw illiterate people take jobs
yeah,nah fuck off cunts.

also, FTTDP is the best chance we have now
>>
>>54680577
The problem is that we don't have a (symbolic) president or any method of removing government.

The opposition can file a motion of no confidence, but that is hardly us, the people.
>>
>>54680602
As much as the last election showed that the corporate/mining cabal made the liberals their bitch they have little control over the actual political process. Hence all the microparties that got elected in. (not anymore because they didn't play nice with king malcolm)
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-22-18-14-28.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-22-18-14-28.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>54680404
Most of brisbane has hfc atleast. Try and get access to it. Am on 100/2.5 with telstra, consistent speeds, also last house on the line, 1tb quota a month, $89 a month on 24 month contract with speed boost thrown in for free (try argue for speed increase/quota with their sales department they usually will try give a lot) (default is 30/1, speed increase is extra 15 a month).
>>
>>54680628
Fuck m8, I would rather have 50/50 than fucking 2 up
>>
>>54680610
This is the biggest fucking meme. Fuck off already.
We have a method of removing government and it works right now. Politicians today are constantly being judged by THE ENTIRE VOTING population. if you fuck up your own party will fuck you up. literally no where in the world is the will of the people translated into action. try impeaching a US president in todays world and tell me that we need to change.
>>
>>54680646
I'd rather have 20/20 than 100/2.

Good thing i have 100/40.
>>
>>54680646
Obviously I'd rather have higher upload as well but nbn isn't forecast for where i am in western suburbs for ages. Im just greatful for pretty speedy internet, last place my family lived was too far from exchange for even adsl1 signal so for 3 years, 10gb a month of 3g internet with a brother that still liked to download movies. Before that was adsl1 20gb a month that capped out at about 200KB/s.
>>
>>54680647
>>54680647
>Politicians today are constantly being judged by THE ENTIRE VOTING population. if you fuck up your own party will fuck you up. literally no where in the world is the will of the people translated into action

What are you on about, the French president Valls can dissolve the government. Austrian president is being voted for tonight and he has pretty much said "if you don't change your immigration laws to reflect the will of the people I will remove your government".

I wouldn't call party spills as a good thing I would rather a shit pm for the entire term than two because the people can't tell the entire party to fuck off.
>>
>>54680689
A president no matter how it is elected is a single point of failure. its just not a good idea. if the president will act like the governor general and not do much and isnt elected by the people i wouldnt mind it but a US president is not going to make our politics more democratic
>>
The whole thing is a total fucking joke. We could've had GOAT internet instead the libs decided to play politics with one of the most important infrastructure projects our country will see in the next 50 years.

Best outcome we can hope for now is if Shorten gets elected and they go to a FTTdp rollout.
>>
>>54680714
also have we ever had a need to do this?
>>
>>54680115
Does glass fiber (home connection) even exist in Australia?
>>
>>54680689
Fucking this a thousand times over. Our country must seem like a massive joke, twice in a row changing leaders mid-term. It's a democracy, it should be the will of the people that decide to oust a shit leader not the party. Let politicians learn to once again serve the people and not their egoist self-interests.
>>
>>54680745
you have not thought it through. If you are such a fucking idealist why do you tolerate pre-selection.
The choosing of candidates and selecting their leader should stay within in the party and perhaps even the parliamentary wing of the political organization. They have to work with these people. They are a team, they should sort themselves out. Your vote would be uninformed as fuck as you have no clue about how these people operate or whatever.
>>
>used to have 35/1 cable, pretty fast for AU internet, but most importantly was a very good quality connection, low ping and never dropped out or slowed down at peak hour
>same house got FTTP, fuck yeah, time for 100/40 fiber
>had to move out for other reasons, now have bog standard 500kB/s ADSL2+ that slows down at peak hour and drops out every 30 minutes or so
>wow, can't get any worse than this dog shit!
>move into yet another place, 200kB/s download speed and packet loss out the ass, internet drops out constantly, games completely unplayable due to quad-digit ping

Just end it all.
>>
>>54680602
>no we might become one if the current government stays in power
No, we already are.

You vote for your representative in the House and the Senate - under our system that person's entire fucking job is to represent their electorate.
But under our system, almost every single Rep and Senator is a member of a political party and they have to toe the line - we're so far into this that "conscience votes", aka the politicians actually representing for their electorates, is a fucking rarity.

So say I'm the Rep for Brand and 90% of the constituents in Brand want a FTTP scheme NBN, but I'm a member of the Liberals and I'm required to vote against a FTTP policy.
Now, you may ask, "Why not vote in opposition to your party?", and that is a good question; the answer is that if you vote against party lines you will be kicked out of the party and you would stop receiving campaign funding.
Now, where do political parties get this money from? They get it from entities owned by the mega-rich and the oligarchs in our society.

We're at a point where our votes don't matter, because whoever you vote for, unless they're completely independent will not represent you.

If this type of collusion, or backstage strong arming was going on in our corporate sector the people involved would go to prison for extortion, bribery and blackmail, let alone violating free trade; and yet, it is so welcome and ingrained in our political system that we have created entire systems to make it easier.

Our political system is a joke, our votes don't matter and Gina Rineheart is basically two steps away from being declared your Empress.

>>54680610
>The problem is that we don't have a (symbolic) president or any method of removing government.
We do, but it's ineffective because everyone you replace them with will be just as corrupt.
>>
>>54680765
when you vote for a party you vote for the policy. That's what matters. the pm is just a figurehead/salesman/etc...
any changes that would change how people vote from policy to person would make us worse off
>>
>>54680647
>literally no where in the world is the will of the people translated into action.
Switzerland, they have a direct democracy.

>>54680628
Holy fuck that's bad.

$89 a month with Exetel for 100/40, no contract.
>>
>>54680729
>Best outcome we can hope for now is if Shorten gets elected and they go to a FTTdp rollout.
>Voting for a major party.
It's like you don't want your vote to count.
>>
>>54680745
>Our country must seem like a massive joke, twice in a row changing leaders mid-term
Eyebrows was the last Australian PM to serve a full term.
>>
>>54680775
I get where you are coming from but that fat truffle sniffing pig is only in "power" as long as the libs are in power. they somehow tricked everyone last time but just about everyone ( the bulk of voters) are worse off now and the strong economic leadership between onion eater, terminator, vito, scott and king malcom has atleast doubled the deficit if not tripled it.
>>
>The rollout of the nbnâ„¢ network has not started in this area
>nbn hasn't even reached the "planned" phase in my area

Just fuck my shit up senpai xD
>>
>>54680775
and as i understand it things like this are discussed in cabinet meetings / party room meetings. These are the type of issues that make politicians go if this dumb faggot stays in power i will not get re-elected because i cant deliver what my constituents want.
>>
>>54680790
Its the best i can get, too far from exchange for adsl2+ (its a lot faster though so not complaining) and cable or 3g are the choices. Until nbn gets here which will be probably a good 2-3 years im happy with similar download to nbn and the overall decent stability and consistent speed.
>>
>>54680826
>I get where you are coming from but that fat truffle sniffing pig is only in "power" as long as the libs are in power. they somehow tricked everyone last time but just about everyone ( the bulk of voters) are worse off now and the strong economic leadership between onion eater, terminator, vito, scott and king malcom has atleast doubled the deficit if not tripled it.
You don't get it, do you?
All political parties are corrupt from the ground up - they were designed to completely subvert our political system and monetize your vote.

If Labor wins majority government in this upcoming election, she will turn around and pledge money to the Labor party - they will do her bidding just as much as the Liberals have.
>>
>>54680854
If you look at the AEC campaign finance records you can clearly see who pays who how much. And if labor party's policy negatively affect the populus they will get kicked out of office too.

As long as everyone votes, you really cant have much of a oligarchy imo.
>>
>>54680848
>and as i understand it things like this are discussed in cabinet meetings / party room meetings. These are the type of issues that make politicians go if this dumb faggot stays in power i will not get re-elected because i cant deliver what my constituents want.
They're discussed first with donors and lobby groups.
Then they're discussed in cabinet.
A memo is sent to the party room.

Your vote is not even considered in the slightest.
>>
>>54680885
i think you are disillusioned with the political process. Its all about the votes. Everything they do is about votes.
>>
File: 5344984816.png (31 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
5344984816.png
31 KB, 300x135
>>54680404
>>54680456
>>54680628
>tfw 21
>parents built a house in a new estate
>desperately need to move out and gain independence
>know that if I do, I'll get stuck with some backwards ass ADSL1-tier speeds
>>
>>54680881
>If you look at the AEC campaign finance records you can clearly see who pays who how much.
Over the table.
>As long as everyone votes, you really cant have much of a oligarchy imo.
But see, if your vote mattered, it wouldn't be an Oligarchy - but it just doesn't.

>>54680903
>i think you are disillusioned with the political process. Its all about the votes. Everything they do is about votes.
Their campaigns are all about votes, but who pays for their campaigns? Lobby groups and the oligarchs.

Political parties are entirely about subverting the political system and monetizing it.
>>
>>54680844
>feels when nbn rollout was planned for my suburb
>now removed from planned phase
>next suburb over in installation phase

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.
>>
New Zealand wins. Game over Australia. New Zealands rolling out FTTP!
>>
>>54681018
I'm gonna move to NZ if they do it

I have friends there, all I need to do is wear sunscreen and warm clothes and it'll be the same

I heard nz is really friendly anyway
>>
>>54680456
>Exetel
Hows that peak hour congestion goin for ya
>>
>>54681018
It's true.

And much better laws for cars, could actually modify something without getting 1000 questions by the cops even after showing them engineer certs...
>>
>>54681057
I don't have any.

I'm aware that was an issue a few years back with their ADSL2 systems in CBD areas, but I've never had an issue.
Their support lines are top tier as well.
>>
>>54681018
>>54681070
This.

Also, way better gun laws and hunting laws.

>Live in WA.
>Can't hunt on crown land.
>>
>>54681084
Interesting....
Friend of mine is on exetel HFC in Butler. Peak hour times cause speeds to drop as low as under a megabit..... off peak times he can manage 110Mbit/s
>>
>>54680932
>over the table
Do you have any proof of this? Members have a lot of super and other benefits they receive when they retire. If you do shit like that all that good shit is gone. I doubt any self-interested politician would do this.

Lets just look at the 2013 election. onionman won and he tried to railroad a whole range of shit policies. what happened to him? hes up in the bleachers with his faggot blue tie. The worst of his policies did not even make it. the shit he did change is only going to last 1 term at most as the other guys are going to revert / fix it.
Im sure a lot of $5000 plates were bought but in the end the most these fags could do is this. by the next election, the mining boom is fucking gone and all these players are now beggars.
>>
File: themilliondollarquestion.jpg (18 KB, 682x139) Image search: [Google]
themilliondollarquestion.jpg
18 KB, 682x139
>>54681032
>I heard nz is really friendly anyway
fuck off cunt
>>
>>54680939
>live in a "newly established area" that went up about 6-12 months before fibre for new builds was standard
>got screwed over and stuck on a rim
>every new build in the area besides this one got fttp, including a couple less than 300m from where I live
It's fucking disgusting, along with the modern size of houses.

The only saving grace is that I get unlimited 20/1 for 80/month on a telstra port while not with telstra.
>>
Seeing as how we'll likely never see at least 100/10 everywhere in Australia by 2030, I just want to find an area to get a degree/masters/etc and move overseas to a country that knows the importance of technological evolving world.

Even countries where people shit in the streets and can die from doing that have better internet speeds than us, or are in the process of installing it.
>>
>>54681185
make friends with someone with FTTP
get a pair of ubut nanobeams and wifi beam one of the spare UNI-D ports to your place
>>
>>54680499
Still better than 100k on adsl
>>
File: 4811278813.png (30 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
4811278813.png
30 KB, 300x135
>>54680115

more life gigabit 2040

fttn turned on to my house next month, gonna b great
>>
>>54680913
Just leave the country, that's what I'm probably going to try and do once I'm in a Decent position to do so unless this government gets off their ass and deals with the internet infrastructure
>>
You could always vote for Labor for them to get NBN fiber possibly here one day, but I don't trust my vote with Labor at all. Fuck all of them, the better thing is just to leave this country
>>
>>54681443
Where do you think you're going to move to that's a better place to live? Europe with the Muslims, USA with the Mexicans, England with the English?
>>
>>54680516
Townhouse but not owned by chingas
>>
We are fucked. Even the fucking kiwis are ahead.
>>
>>54681499
internet and software patents are literally the only things the kiwis are more enlightened than us about
>>
>>54681567
Software patents are the most retarded thing to come out of the last 20 years.
>>
>>54681700
yup
>>
>>54681018
Wins what exactly? I didnt know there was a competition
>>
Still waiting for NBN, everyone in my area has it but my land is large so they're fucking me around with zones and shit, neighbour 10m away has it.

Have a case manager saying they got a solution but haven't heard anything for 10 days, been waiting 2 months already. It took me complaining to my local MP to get this far. I'll have to email them again this week.
>>
>>54680115
>rather than cost saving
It was never about cost saving, it was about appearing to save costs.

I thought the Lib play was going to get quietly shelved with some apologies and excuses about hidden costs but they continued to try and save face by ploughing ahead with their hare brained potato-tier FTTN shitshow.
>>
>>54681839
Lib's plan is to continue to fuck around with the project, giving Telstra more and more contracts then finally giving up, privatizing it and let Telstra have the head start by selling all existing non-Telstra infrastructure to them.

So sort of like the privatization of Telstra: Electric Boogaloo
>>
>>54680415
>High speed low latency internet (enabling Netflix) is a threat to Foxtel/On Demand

not really. foxtel has a streaming product, an on-demand product (presto) and has sports, which netflix lacks.
>>
>>54681944
Of course, but their main sell is still cable TV. In addition, its not just Netflix, having good infrastructure allow new services that will also cover those things that Foxtel has over Netflix right now.

Imagine streamingservicexyz are doing on demand for $15 a month with Game of Thrones available within 12/24 hours of the HBO debut, Foxtel can't compete with that, and Murdoch definitely doesn't want that.
>>
>>54680729
>The whole thing is a total fucking joke. We could've had GOAT internet instead the libs decided to play politics with one of the most important infrastructure projects our country will see in the next 50 years.

in what way was an infrastructure project being implemented by political parties not playing politics?
>>
>>54680115
>tfw living in japan
>tfw 200mbit for $45 a month
>tfw i could upgrade to gigabit right now
Stop putting infrastructure underground and you'll get your shit up quicker. Fucking 20km outside the city there are poles carrying fibre over rice paddies so that people in the tiny surrounding towns get to enjoy it too.
>>
>>54681872

labor was going to privatise the nbn in the end, just like the coalition want to... except the coalition want to split the company by medium when sold.
>>
>>54681018
New Zealand fucking sucks. When I was living in NZ I was about 500m outside the city and zoned never to get anything above ADSL.

The fibre zoning is shit, the VDSL zoning isn't much better. If you live in the city you're okay but the fibre installation is shit as well. My old boss got fibre installed and because everything is underground her fibre line literally ran along the ground next to the fence, totally uncovered and pretty much unprotected, they dug it under her driveway at least and into the house.

It's shit.
>>
>>54682042
>tfw japan is fucking tiny and has like 6x the population of australia

>>54682055
looks more like the libs are just bullshitting everyone as they turn it into a complete basket case and hand it to telstra for nothing

not that i'll vote labor or green, better dead than red senpai

buy telstra shares now and maybe we'll at least profit as we get fucked over
>>
>>54681971
>Of course, but their main sell is still cable TV.

they sell a product, not the infrastructure that products runs on.

> In addition, its not just Netflix, having good infrastructure allow new services that will also cover those things that Foxtel has over Netflix right now.

that has started to happen with optus taking the english premier league coverage for next year. if i watch it, i'll be watching illegal streams because i don't have an optus service to even qualify to pay for the stream.

> Imagine streamingservicexyz are doing on demand for $15 a month with Game of Thrones available within 12/24 hours of the HBO debut, Foxtel can't compete with that, and Murdoch definitely doesn't want that.

very few would be buying foxtel just for game of thrones. the most likely response to the fragmentation of streaming services is piracy.
>>
>Gigabit by 2019?
sure with 10gb data caps
>>
>>54680115
Totally fucked, most likely.
>>
>>54682106
>looks more like the libs are just bullshitting everyone as they turn it into a complete basket case and hand it to telstra for nothing

they can't hand it to telstra for nothing. they have to recover at least aud$30+ billion to pay back the bonds.
>>
>>54680115
>Not voting for the pirate party
>>
>>54682106
>>tfw japan is fucking tiny and has like 6x the population of australia
Yeah, but like 90% of Australia is uninhabitable desert.

The size of it sucks the most for laying down fibre, especially if you're putting it under ground instead of just putting it on poles.

You could roll it out like three to four times as fast if you just put it on poles but a lot of western countries, including New Zealand, have this stupid fixation on putting everything underground sometimes just for hippy reasons like "visual pollution. It looks bad" so you're stuck with shit taking far longer to deploy and being more costly to service and then some faggot always digs into it.

Putting shit underground shouldn't be done unless there is proper underground infrastructure to house it. Not just digging up the berm and chucking it a foot below the surface.
>>
>>54680804
>implying

of course I I'll be voting for a micro party this year anon but eventually you have to preference one of the major parties and I will preference labor over liberal
>>
File: 1459819008919.jpg (9 KB, 295x229) Image search: [Google]
1459819008919.jpg
9 KB, 295x229
>>54682341
This holy fuck.
>>
>>54680415
>half the government are on the Telstra payroll

I work in IT in a government agency and that isn't true
>>
>>54680115

>having another flag inside your flag

what a bunch of cucks
>>
>>54683172
Yeah, but 49/50.
>>
>>54682174

Kind of sad that we had to start over with data caps but it was to be expected.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.