[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you do with your old computers when you upgrade?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: Core 2 Extreme.jpg (25 KB, 355x327) Image search: [Google]
Core 2 Extreme.jpg
25 KB, 355x327
What do you do with your old computers when you upgrade?
>>
>>54670236
donate to shittier machines owning close family members
>>
Friends or family
>>
Like old components? Keep them around for troubleshooting, donate them to a friend/family, side project to fuck around with other distros.
>>
Build a firewall, router, htpc.
>>
>>54670405
they dont want that shit. They use phones or tablets now. I would install arch on the machine and hand it to a little half brother that looks up to me and say "hey ya little faggot, wanna become an 3lit3 h4ck3|2 leik me?"

call that shit hand granade
>>
Keep them and install Slackware + gentoo + arch + *buntu (all the buntus) + LFS + Centos + Linux Lite + Manjaro + Debian Testing + Debian Stable + Debian Sid + FreeBSD + OpenBSD + Mint + Mint Debian Edition + Mageia + Fedora + Puppy each on tiny little partitions so i can play with pretty much any distro i want.
>>
The motherboard with CPU, GPU and RAM is still lying on the table. I upgraded almost 2 years ago.
>>
>>54670236
Learn how to use eBay. It's surprisingly a lot less of a hassle than you may think.
>>
>>54670596

Only works if you're in America, and you can still get super fucked when someone charges back
>>
>>54670560
Which CPU and GPU is it?
>>
>>54670596
I upgrade my desktop every 4-8 years with parts that were midrange for their time, no one wants that shit
>>
>>54670560
Core 2 Duo E8400 and Radeon HD 6870 I think.
>>
Was replying to >>54670722

t. >>54670560
>>
Most time the only "upgrades" happen when a existing part died. Last "upgrade" was last year. My old 8800Gt died, replaced with Geforce gt 740. My current pc dates from oh 2008-2010ish and I've no plans to do a compete new build anytime soon.
>>
im thinking of going for a zen/vega build when theyre out. my current computer will simply replace the server computer thats sitting in my closet, sans the gpu since thats worthless on a headless server. the gpu will go to my mom who likes to watch pirated movies with highest settings possible on madvr.
>>
>>54670236
Dunno, I've never upgraded. The first computers that were mine were laptops (old ones retired into a closet) and I build my first PC in 2012, which I am still using now (2500K + HD7850, no real need for an upgrade yet)
>>
Artificial reef for fish in local pond.
>>
>>54670236
>Being stupid enough to upgrade a Core 2 Extreme
>>
>>54670803
this
>>
>>54670502
That must be a hell of a grub page
>>
File: zz.png (137 KB, 1365x808) Image search: [Google]
zz.png
137 KB, 1365x808
>>
I have a core2quad q9650 that I use as my main PC with Linux, but I only have 8gb of ddr2 ram and I need more, it looks like ram is selling at crack prices, upgrading to 16gb would cost $150 to $200, not sure if I should buy ram or wait and maybe get a new Zen system.
>>
>>54670236
Nowadays I just keep them and turn them on every once in a while so I can experience the slowness, and appreciate my current machines more.
>>
>>54671091
Does AMD have a ME equivalent?
>>
>>54670236
I sell them.
I sell everything that is not needed. I don't even store spare parts. kek
>>
File: psp.png (50 KB, 1388x385) Image search: [Google]
psp.png
50 KB, 1388x385
>>54671288
Yes.

I would have said VIA as a still viable option, but VIA should also go fuck themselves by not being able to use theirs chip in your PC because they are BGA only. You are literally limited to their shitty boards that don't even work with coreboot.
>>
>>54671334
There's another alternative, its called stop being a fucking pedo you sick fuck!
>>
>>54671364
>>
>>54671091
>>54671334
So what do we do?
>>
Format them and throw them in the closet, then if I ever need them I have them. I usually end up parting it out to friends, however. Also, selling online is a pretty good option.
>>
Add them to the pile of other computers I'll pull out at some point
>>
>>54670236
I upgrade only if the shit is broken or extemely outdated. So I just throw it into garbage, I keep only radiators and fans as spare parts is they are any good and reusable.
>>
>>54670236
database, storage, servers, and other junk.
>>
>>54671457
Use Piledriver forever. In fact back in the day, i was hoping that chips would be fast enough (for anything that i will ever do) by 32nm die size, and Sandy Bridge indeed is, but it sadly has IME.
So, 40% less IPC, but no obvious hardware backdoor, Piledriver it is, forever.
Anything smaller than 32nm and it wont a last a decade without disintegrating.
>>
I have a large rack in my closet with about 4k USD in PC parts sitting on it. At least if I ever need DDR2 I'll have some.
>>
>>54670458
i'm sorry you can't make friends with similar interests
>>
>>54672767

piledriver is backdoored too. https://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/security

you need phenom ii or older to be rid of the backdoor meme.
>>
I give them to destitute college freshmen.
>>
>>54670236
server and old server parts to friends.
>>
>>54673755

I'm pretty sure the FX chips don't have PSP, only Kaveri APUs and newer (which do use Piledriver CPU cores) have PSP.
>>
Keep spares around that may aid me in some way. Spare PSU for troubleshooting. Spare passively cooled GT210 GPU. Spare 250gb Hitachi HDD that is too small for my uses but perfect for small shit. External enclosure etc etc.

When I accumulate too many parts, I usually build a PC with maybe $100 out of pocket. Take one of my many Windows 7 keys I got from fixing laptops, throw it on there and charge $400.

When I get TOO Much surplus, I toss it. Recently threw away an NZXT S340, Nameless chinese "500w" PSU. 2GB of DDR.
>>
>>54671100
>8gb of ddr2 ram and I need more, it looks like ram is selling at crack prices, upgrading to 16gb would cost $150 to $200,
>ddr2
Might as well just build a new system entirely. That's fucking sad.
>>
>>54671100
>tfw a 2GB module died and I finally had an enough motivation to upgrade from 4GB to 6GB
Damn that was some expensive RAM
>>
Turned my old Q6600 computer into a "fuck around with linux distros" box.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.