[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
E-readers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: GloHD_pairing.jpg (79 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
GloHD_pairing.jpg
79 KB, 900x900
What is the best e-reader and why is it the Glo HD?
>>
File: tough_desicions.png (201 KB, 839x645) Image search: [Google]
tough_desicions.png
201 KB, 839x645
Kobo Touch $110
Kindle Basic $90
which one should I get?
Yes these are the best prices since shipping is not an option (shipping, tax and import cost)
>>
>>54668510
Kindle Oasis
>>
I just use my phone because I don't have autism.
>>
>>54669064
Does one of them have a light? Get that one. If not, get the Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, or Nook Glowlight. Using a non-frontlit ereader in 2016 is on par with shitting in a rose bush. It doesn't make a lick of sense.
>>
I got a kobo since it can load up more formats. Fuck walled gardens.
>>
File: 1270384846956.jpg (10 KB, 319x316) Image search: [Google]
1270384846956.jpg
10 KB, 319x316
>tfw got a Glo HD for €70
>>
>>54669693
>Fuck walled gardens

you bought an e reader
>>
Does the resolution of the ereader actually make a difference or does it only affect viewing images and PDFs?
>>
>>54669493
No, I think you do.
>>
>>54668510
Kindle Oasis
>>
>>54670426
I have the entry-level Kindle. I can see the pixels if I look closely under strong light, but in the general case it's not an issue at all. And I read with the smallest font setting.

I far prefer it to reading on my 300+ PPI phone, for example.

>>54669519
I never quite get this. Do you live in a basement or something? I have abundant sunlight in daytime and strong artificial lighting at night. One of the main reasons I got my kindle is because it looks like a printed page, reflecting light instead of emitting it.
>>
>>54668510
not color?
>>
>>54670426
It makes a very slight difference.
I took a graphic design class and one of the things I picked up was that text in books is printed at 300ppi. The highest-resolution Kindles and Kobos are at 300ppi. They can probably be made at higher resolutions and still look better (Compare a printed book to words on a flagship Android phone), but this is about as good as you need it.
Just get a 2nd-gen Paperwhite.
>>54670813
Kindles don't emit light. They have frontlights under the bezel and above the screen that diffuse light through the plastic/glass covering the screen.
The light is useful for reading in bed when trying to fall asleep and other low-light situations. The light isn't necessary, but getting an ereader without one doesn't make much sense anymore.
>>
>>54670813
Frontlit ereaders don't "emit" light either. Not in the same way as LCD screens anyway. There's a layer on top that shines onto the screen, and the reflected light is what you see
>>
>>54668510
Which one of these is the best if I want to pirate everything I would be reading upon it?
>>
Fuck I just realized kobo is an anagram for book
>>
>>54670947
Kobo. Kindle would require you to download Calibre and use that
>>
>>54670947
Don't be cheap, buy your content. Kindle gives you rather large free samples of every book and has a very liberal refund policy, there's no excuse at all.
>>
>>54671006
Kobo doesn't require Calibre but it's sure as hell convenient to use it anyway.
I do at least.
>>
>>54671076
I'd buy more ebooks if they weren't as or more expensive than physical books delivered to my house.
>>
Anyone know good sources for non-English books? Dutch, specifically.
>>
Do any Kobo's have physical buttons on the side(s) for page turning?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.