[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the cheapest desktop that i can buy that will last at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
What is the cheapest desktop that i can buy that will last at least 5 years before being too slow for daily use (light gayming, jewtube, shitposting) and being capable of running at least 6 monitors at some point (i have 3 now)?

I'm looking at HP Z800s right now because they seem to be well spec'd for the price, but if there is a better option i dont want to overpay.

>build your own
I was thinking about it but use prebuilt shit is cheaper for the specs.
>>
>>54662606
z600 is cheaper than z800. Dell Precision T5500 and T7500 have similar capabilities with LGA 1366 CPUs and DDR 3 ram.

Still, z800 is really good and what I ended up going with.

You should keep an eye out for the z620 if you can find one in your price range. Sometimes they come in under $500.

And there are the offerings from Lenovo. Thinkstation can be quite good as well.
>>
>>54662606
really the only part of that that needs forethought is the six-monitor support. There are single cards that can drive six monitors but you'll have a much simpler time of it if you find a machine with dual PCI-E slots. (you needn't care about SLI or Crossfire support, in this case, just two slots)
>>
>>54662606
>I was thinking about it but use prebuilt shit is cheaper for the specs.
in the sub $400-500 range yes, but when it comes to something that'll run 3-6 monitors? Nah
>>
I've been keeping a close eye on machines which have a e5-2670 in them. This CPU will replace the x5650 as the best price/performance in the used workstation market in a little while.

Right now machines with dual e5-2670s can be found for under $800 like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkStation-D30-2x-E5-2670-2-6GHz-8-Core-32GB-500GB-Quadro-600-Win-7-Pro-/111996458391?hash=item1a13825597:g:w7gAAOSwl-FXNePl

These two CPUs put together is a crazy amount of power.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2670+v3+%40+2.30GHz&id=2337&cpuCount=2
>>
>>54662606
>54662606
Do you care about noise?

If not, just get a DL380 or something, cheaper than a workstation for the same level of hardware.
>>
>>54662606
>>54662723
vouch for these series of workstations.

I have a t7500. You can get a used with 6 cores for like $250 on eBay. If you want more horsepower later, add on a second processor for $100-$200 depending on the cage and cpu price.

If you want 6 monitors you'll need a gfx card or two that'll do it OP, no question. Easy to install. Crack open the case, put it in a slot, install the drivers, easy done.
>>
>>54662769
damn. thats insane. A bit too expensive right now but it will be something i consider.

>>54662780
I do unfortunately. Im guessing that putting gaymer meme fans in it wouldnt help?
>>
>>54662896
If you care about noise I would recommend the T7500 or the z800.

The smaller systems like the z600 will probably need to run their fans a little faster and might be louder.
>>
File: hp-z420-liquid-cooler.jpg (14 KB, 313x247) Image search: [Google]
hp-z420-liquid-cooler.jpg
14 KB, 313x247
>>54662606
I just want to interject for a moment to let you know HP put these in their workstations for quite some time. Like the one you pictured.
>>
>>54663604
h.. how effective is that?
>>
>>54663604
Those are nice, but the machines that have them are still extremely expensive.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.