[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
C# programmer here. I'd like to start with java on linux.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: java-coffe.jpg (56 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
java-coffe.jpg
56 KB, 620x413
C# programmer here. I'd like to start with java on linux. What distro and ide do you recommend?
>>
>>54656823
>falling for the java meme
Go python or go home
>>
http://www.ubuntu.com/
&
http://www.monodevelop.com/
>>
>>54656846
Oh you said java,
http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/
>>
>>54656833
>python
Hi undergrad.
>>
>>54656873
>undergrad
But I'm a wageslave
>>
>>54656823
Intellij idea and distro doesnt matter. just use one of the top distros and youll be fine
>>
>>54656823
IntelliJ for sure. Whatever language you use, if jetbrains has an IDE for it, it's best to shoot for that one
>>
Intellij.
But first I recommend you reconsider, Java is shite.
>>
>>54656823
Eclipse.

>>54656866
>>54656884
>>54656900
>>54656920
Kill yourselves.
>>
Trust me on this one. The terminal and a text editor are all you need.
>>54656823
>>
>>54656949
>Eclipse.
not-as-productive-as-intellij-users tier
>>
>>54656983
Intellij has less than 1/10th the features of Eclipse. Kill yourself.
>>
>>54657022
nice meme
>>
>>54656920
I don't want to switch from C# to java. Just want to know how it is to develop in java vs C#.
>>
>>54656823
IntelliJ IDEA and literally whatever the fuck distro you want - if you're actually gonna deploy your apps might as well develop on the same distro you'll be deploying to
>>
>>54657022
Name one.
>>
>>54656823
>>sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mmk2410/intellij-idea-community
>>sudo apt-get update
>>sudo apt-get install intellij-idea-community
>>
>>54657073
I'm a C++ guy, with a fondness for c#, thrown into a java world.

It's unbelievably boring and not very fulfilling. It's a minor miracle when you don't flood the heap with millions of useless temporaries that could be better handled with a simple stack allocated immutable structure type like c# has. Async is painful, lambdas are missing in any project you'll get paid for, the compiler is stupid and can't tell the difference between exception and normal code paths for finals. Eclipse is awful, idea isn't much better, and netbeans doesn't have the mind share among pajeet to make it worthwhile to use.

Basically, the only reason to even consider working in java is that most likely you get to use Linux to get your work done, meaning visual studio won't be locking your files every five minutes forcing you to restart to run a build.
>>
>>54656823
>eclipse
>netbeans
>Intellij
>Dr Java

Not saying those are the best choices. I'm just telling you what exists.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.