[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do mkv files generally contain the ability to output audio to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: denon.jpg (77 KB, 1200x496) Image search: [Google]
denon.jpg
77 KB, 1200x496
do mkv files generally contain the ability to output audio to a 5.1 system?

completely retarded question probably but help a retard out please. i'm getting my first house soon and i've always wanted a good receiver and speakers, but i'm not going to waste my money if none of my pirated shit will utilize it.

but mkv is just a wrapper right? i'm betting the answer to this question is going to be "depends". so... when you torrent a movie, in general, will that file be able to fully utilize 5.1?
>>
>>54655629
yes
>>
>>54655644
good to know, thanks anon
>>
>>54655629
>will that file be able to fully utilize 5.1?
Yes _if_ the author of the file ripped and encoded it to use 5.1.
>>
>>54655629
>but mkv is just a wrapper right?
A container, but yes. It fully supports pretty much any sort of audio you want.

>when you torrent a movie, in general
There is no "in general" since it all depends on what sort of rips you torrent. High-quality 1080p BR rips will often have surround sound, if you download some utter crap yify-tier dirt then no, it's likely you'll get crap sound too. In any case the information on the torrent should tell you, sometimes it's even in the title.
>>
>>54655767
got it. thanks for the info.

i automate my downloads with couchpotato/usenet so and set it to prefer highest quality found so hopefully the majority of my library will utilize 5.1
>>
all of the .mkv supports 5.1 but not all the .mkv are 5.1
>>
>>54655629
You need to use a player that will bitstream the audio to the receiver. Download good rips that have Dolby Digital AC3/DTS in them. Run optical from your PC to the receiver. You can bitstream audio with MPC-HC using the LAV filters (which I think are built in now and you should be using anyways).
>>
>>54656076
i'm using a raspberry pi with kodi. yay or nay?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.