[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
motherboards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 7PESH4.png (2 MB, 1841x1031) Image search: [Google]
7PESH4.png
2 MB, 1841x1031
are motherboards as notoriously shitty and fragile as they are made out to be? They supposedly die if you touch it wrong and apparently companies ship out faulty motherboards all the time.

I'm asking this because I took out my 4 year old motherboard thats filled with dust and shoved it into a new case and it touched a lot of metallic parts and i even dropped my screw driver on it. but suprisingly it still works even though I assume i fucked it.
>>
If it's some paper thin piece of shit maybe.

I get my hands dirty with motherboards and other supposedly fragile shit all the time, works just fine as long as you aren't being a hamfisted fucktard and snapping surface mount components off
>>
They're pretty hardy.

/g/ is just autistic.
>>
>>54644279
Not really. I bought a mid-range Gigabyte AM3 board in 2009 and it still works to this day, despite running overclocked 125W CPUs all its life (most recently a 1090T for a couple of months at 3.9GHz). I'd say that unless you get one that's faulty out of the box or buy the absolute cheapest piece of shit you can find, your board is likely to outlive its usefulness.
>>
>>54644279
I have one from 2002 and it still works. I tried to run CPU stress software on it (PIII speed) for almost a day without extra ventilation to see if the heat would kill it, but nothing happened.

Some motherboards are just hard to kill while others are delicate flowers I guess, but I've never had one die on me, so I don't know.
>>
>>54644279
it's god damned fiberglass, unless you're a retard and want to break it it won't break
>>
no. ive manhandle motherboards and nothing happened. people try to install components with their retard strength and cheeto fingers.
>>
It depends on the type of capacitor used.

Something shitty with liquid caps will be dead within 5 years, but one with solid caps will last for over a decade.
>>
Older boards are more likely to be more robust in several ways. Mostly due to the size of the components. With more integration and higher density, the components (especially passives) become smaller and more fragile to things like dropped screwdrivers.
>>
>>54644348
Well yes, physical damage to the PCB is one of the most unlikely causes of failure. Chips or caps dying is much more common and not really something you can prevent (although you can change the caps with some basic soldering knowledge).
>>
>>54644279
I worked for a place selling building and fixing computers. Only ever had 2 DOA motherboards in a year of work, the rest were cheap chinese shit that failed after 1 year of use or asrock boards after 2-3 years.
>>
People don't post about how they're shit works fine so no they're pretty fine.
>>
>>54644279
I like GIGABYTE's with UltraDurable technology. They're pretty good.
>>
>>54645127
>This message was brought to you by GIGABYTE's stealth advertising group, like us on facebook!
>>
>>54644279
Unless you're completely devoid of common sense, you won't break your motherboard.
>>
>>54644279
Well, in my previous build, it was my motherboard that stopped working...
On the other hand I'm a very clumsy person, and I've, surprisingly, always been able to use the mobos I installed.
>let the screwdriver fall on it
>let the cpu fall on it
>let the cpu fall on the pins of the socket (I had to re-bend 5-6 of the pins)
>I tried to brute force it a bit too much in my case, not realizing it wasn't laying properly and/or the whole mobo is bending.

overall, I feel like they're quite resilient.
>>
no, motherboards are very durable especially since there are no moving parts. it takes some effort to scratch them enough to ruin a trace or dislodge something.

the worst thing that happens is you get weird static shit going on, but resetting the bios jumper will fix it 99% of the time
>>
I've even taken a heat gun and soldering irons to my mobos and nothings broken. I though for sure I fried my current mobo soldering the cpu but its fine
>>
>>54644279
I used to work on my desktop PC on the carpet of my living room floor, scooting myself and it all over the place in the process. I also used a magnetic tipped screwdriver.

Never had a single component fail in the process.

>I did kill some PSUs tho because I Didn't know how PSU requirements worked
>>
i think im more comfortable with building now, every time my builds fail to boot im just like "fuck motherboard probably died" then the computer ends up working perfectly fine and I feel dumb
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.