[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm tired of Windows, making the jump to Ubuntu. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1436014710592.jpg (92 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1436014710592.jpg
92 KB, 600x600
So I'm tired of Windows, making the jump to Ubuntu. What are the things I should first learn about Linux?
>>
>>54643183

Most of the shit you'll need to do will be tenfold more difficult, less efficient and you'll probably need to google a ton of problems you run into just to get it done. Other than that, it's pretty based.
>>
File: using_that_word.jpg (45 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
using_that_word.jpg
45 KB, 500x420
>>54643221
>based
>>
>>54643297

Oh look, I rustled the jimmies of a *nix sperg. Come back when you're not memeposting image macros from five years ago when it stopped being funny.
>>
how to uninstall it and go back to Microsoft®Windows™
>>
>>54643183
I would say try it before you buy it.
once you get into it. its fucking great but there is a learning curve if you've been doing things with Windows forever.
>>
>>54643183
Get an amazon account so the data they're skimming actually is useful to you in the form of product recommendations
>>
> terminal
> gnu text utils
> bash scripting
>>
>>54643183
A good linux user plays for the team and not the other way around, you won't be able to use Linux the right way messi.
>>
>>54643183
Don't give up on it. Lots of people try linux for a day or 2, decide it's too complicated, and go back to windows, but if you stick with it, you're going to have an amazing experience.
>>
>>54643183
Learning a real OS and how to use a computer to its potential takes some time OP. Give yourself time to learn all the things you need to know. Find tutorials on how to configure various devices, command line utilities, compilers, editors, etc. If you just want to do the typical computer user things like e-mail and browsing, then Linux works just like Windows. If you want to become a developer, then you probably should get to work and learn how to use a real system.
>>
>>54643183
Learn how to install your video drivers, assuming you have NVIDIA. If you have Intel I think your drivers are automatic. If you have AMD you're just fucked.

Learn how to use the website 'alternative.to' to find Linux applications similar to the Windows ones you're familiar with.

Learn to use the Ubuntu software center app (super easy, but essential unless you want to jump straight to apt at the command line).
>>
There is a learning curve becasue you didn't learn to use it in grade school.
>>
>>54643183
If you spend more than 5 minutes trying to figure out how to do something, create a phony email address and email the Ubuntu mailing list and rail on and on about how much better Windows is and how you're going to switch back because you can't figure out what you were trying to figure out.

Within minutes you will have hundreds of linux neckbeards at your disposal because they can't stand being worse than Windows.
>>
>>54645250
>not living anywhere but the US.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.