[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>your OS install is getting a little stale >you can ea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
>your OS install is getting a little stale
>you can easily reinstall (or "refresh") Windows 8/10 without losing your personal files

Why don't other operating systems have a "refresh" feature? Why is Windows the only operating system with a simple non-destructive reinstall option?

http://www.gizmag.com/how-to-windows-8-pc-refresh-reset/32801/
>>
Because other operating systems aren't written by stinky Indians causing massive bloat that requires a reinstall twice a year. Maybe if Pajeet and Rama weren't borderline brain-dead monkeys Windows wouldn't need a reinstall so often.
>>
It's not a bug, it's a feature!
>>
Because they don't need to
>>
You can't get much simpler than copying your settings and personal files, formatting, reinstalling, and copying your settings and personal files back. Windows has to automate these steps because the OS is a trainwreck
>>
>>54638271
Because other operating systems are
1- always fresh
2- actually sane, so nothing destructive happens even if you reinstall from scratch.
>>
>>54638271
>Why is Windows the only operating system with a simple non-destructive reinstall option?
Have you even read the fucking picture you posted?
It removes all of your fucking programs and chances all your settings to their. How is that not destructive?
And how is that different to just copying your C drive/home folder on an external HDD, reinstalling whatever OS you choose, and moving back all your shit?

Because in both ways, you have to redo all your configurations, and reinstall all your software.

But thats a mook point anyways, because a proper OS wont need that shit anyways.
>>
>>54638271
I did this recently and it literally wiped my fucking ext4 partitions.

>all your files are right where you left them :^)
>>
>>54639254
>mook
>>
>>54638271
>Why don't other operating systems have a "refresh" feature?

Protip : they do. It's called rsync and works on any Unix-like operating system.
>>
Because Linux doesn't need to reinstall every 6 months. You only reinstall when support runs out and for my distribution that is in 10 years time
>>
This is the wonkiest solution to Windows rot they could come up with

This is like restarting a process that leaks memory every few hours instead of fixing the leak.
>>
>>54641082
i.e. what people do in the real world?
>>
>>54638271
Most OS's don't get stale thus never need to be "refreshed".
>>
>>54639368
/thread
>>
>>54641171
Go chug a bottle of bleach
>>
>>54641302
he's already brain-dead anon.
>>
>>54638271
Because they don't need to be "refreshed"
>>
>>54641171
Maybe people like the PHP creator.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.