[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ergonomics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9
File: ergo.png (131 KB, 569x389) Image search: [Google]
ergo.png
131 KB, 569x389
nice day /g/
I spend a lot of time in front of the computer, probably most of you do the same.
I have pain in my wrist and my back, I'm not the only one, I know many people has problems from using the computer. so I think it would be good to put together some info about ergonomy and so.
example: we can discuss about mechanical keyboards vs normal keyboards. mices (normal, vertical, trackball...) and so.
>>
>>54632027
Fuck ergonomics. Just hit the gym after work, do heavy-ass compound lifts, and stretch regularly.
>>
>>54632027
It's not saving my life, but having software that reminds me to take a break every so often definitely helps.
>>
>>54632058
fuck you. I go to the gym and even so I have problems.
>ergonomics
>do heavy-ass compound lifts
>>
>>54632027
Seat height, monitor height (neck angle), desk height, armrest height, arm angles, keyboard/mouse height are the important factors.

Mech keyboard makes very little difference, and I've used a regular mouse since forever without issue aside from when I was doing one of the previous things badly.
>>
>>54632027
How old are you? I try my best to keep a good posture and that seems to do the trick. Ergonomic keyboards are mostly placebo, I used to use one at work (9 hours a day and shit) and I'd get wrist pain more often than now that I use only the keyboard on my ThinkPad. A properly placed monitor seems to be of big help, too.
>>
>>54632375
I've been in some threads talking about mices, the trackballs seems to be a good option for ergonomy, but not the thumb ones.
about the vertical mices, I know about them this week.

keyboards are a little matter I guess, if they are big enough.

>>54632415
30 years old
>>
>>54632428
My dad owns a vertical mouse, tried it and I didn't rate it.
>>
>>54632439
Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking on gettin a trackball and give it a try. people seems to be glad with them
>>
>>54632461
Yeah I've only heard good things from people who've owned trackball mice. Don't think I'd want one myself though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/JDCav24/search?query=stretch

I get this from an anon on /fit/ board, talking about stretching. hope it helps
>>
>>54632027
how about you work out instead.

Fucking pathetic how many people go through so many fucking hoops just in order to not work out.
>>
>>54632519
I do. fuckin pathetic how people implies things without knowin shit.

about working out, for people who may be interested. avoid lifting, stretch a lot.
>>
>>54632549
>avoid lifting
Why? Doesn't it stimulate better blood flow?
>>
>>54632732
cardio also does and doesn't put the same stress on your joints (avoid running if you are too fat).
if you lift, go with light loads, do more reps, but don't get much weight, it ensures a carpal tunnel syndrome.
>>
>>54632797
Hm, I actually do pull-ups. Think I may need to stop doing those then, thanks for the advice.
>>
File: U9mo5sfh.jpg (104 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
U9mo5sfh.jpg
104 KB, 1024x683
>>54632027

Ergodox
r
g
o
d
o
x
>>
I use a modified Dvorak Programmer layout on an Ergodox, it's sex, I can type for 12 hours without pain.

Meanwhile I'm sitting on a cheap wooden chair, so my back may not be as healthy as my fingers.
>>
>>54632909
>>54633064
Would the ErgoDox be fine for someone with smaller hands?
It's currently $200 on MassDrop, is that as low as it usually goes?
>>
>>54632058
Do both
>>
>>54633600
I remarkably have small hands for a man and I find that there's much less stretching than on a regular keyboard. The top keys on the thumb cluster can be a bit awkward for me, so I use them as less common things that aren't chained, like esc and delete. I'm pretty sure the massdrop one is programmable, so you can incrementally change the layout to suit your needs. It took a while before I made something that truly felt great.

I can't say much about the price as I built mine, it was not cheap, but much less than massdrop after exchange rates and shipping. Massdrop's is probably higher quality though.
>>
>>54633064
what's your layout?
>>
>>54632027
if you have pain in your back its probably because youre sitting up straight, which is not healthy for the back, which is why people who sit on the couch all day never get back pain. get a chair with inclination
>>
>>54633707
You know what they say about people with small hands?
>>
>>54632027
>not using a chair at 90>120 deggree

it like you want all that g-force strain
>>
>>54633751
It's basically this http://www.kaufmann.no/roland/dvorak/ adapted to fit the new physical layout. e.g. numbers shifted a column right, uncommon symbols placed on the bottom row.
The other few changes are just to make Emacs nicer.

I can post the code for it, but it makes no sense on first glance because Kaufmann's Dvorak puts the symbols on different layers and keys.
>>
>>54633600

I have little girly baby hands and I am fine with all but the top of the thumb cluster. since the layout is customizable, this isn't really an issue.

You could also look at the Diverge. It is a split layout with less keys.

Honestly I think the ergodox is the best split layout available now.

The Massdrop one is expensive because it has those useless screens and comes pre-assembled. You can build one yourself for around $150 with parts from places like Falbatech.
>>
>>54632058
Doesn't solve the wrist problem
>>
>>54632375
Depends on your mouse grip entirely

Depends on your mouse grip entirely

Palm grip have it easy. Finger/claw get shit on.
>>
File: image.gif (11 KB, 416x215) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
11 KB, 416x215
Sitting up straight is not the best position for office workers, a study has suggested.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6187080.stm
>>
>>54636746
according to this, a trackball would be great as it does not let you have the finger/claw grip
>>
File: 1460260093546_.png (48 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
1460260093546_.png
48 KB, 1600x800
>>54632027

Lean back, legs on the desk, pull mouse to armrest. :3
>>
>>54636848
The one on a right is a great way to develop forward-head.
>>
File: 1.jpg (50 KB, 1004x520) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
50 KB, 1004x520
Fucking serious here
>>
File: 1460260093546.png (4 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1460260093546.png
4 KB, 800x800
>>54636957

And here's the template
>>
File: image.png (252 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
image.png
252 KB, 511x428
>>54636979
Can someone draw squatting person on chair.
>>
>>54633756
Absolutely this. I used to slouch a bunch before getting all ergonomics conscious, so I started sitting straight. It's intensely difficult. The muscles immediately hurt, and it just generally doesn't feel good. I just want to lie down or sit on a couch or walk around or ride a bike or just anything that doesn't have my hip at a right angle to my spine. If your lower back hurts, you probably need a chair and desk setup that lets you recline a bit.

Also about trackballs; I got a Kensington Expert and while it's not really great, I would say that it's a fair bit better on the wrist. Useless for shooters, but it's pretty nice for work and stuff.

Apart from that, just get up a lot and listen to your body. If your neck hurts, move your monitor. If your arms hurt, adjust your armrests.

Colemak represent
>>
>>54632027
>be 6'4''
>no chair actually works
>raise desk high enough to maintain posture = throw out sholders because chair arms can't get high enough to get flush with the desk
>lower my desk once my shoulders start hurting
>back starts hurting a few hours later
>repeat until I'm fucking dead
>>
File: tmp2.png (32 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
tmp2.png
32 KB, 800x800
>>54637010
Just for you anon, best I could do.
>>
How are standing desks?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.