[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know where I can find the drivers for Broadcom BCM43142
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: logo_debian.png (82 KB, 635x307) Image search: [Google]
logo_debian.png
82 KB, 635x307
Anyone know where I can find the drivers for Broadcom BCM43142 so I can actually do this damn Debian netinstall?

Tried Google, lots of dead links.
>>
>>54627981
>He fell for the Plebeian Gaynut/Loserdix meme

Just get a mac, anon, they support the most cutting edge industry standard software and don't pander to GAYMURRS XD like Microdong Wankblows
>>
>>54628045
I'm actually converting over a Windows 10 notebook. It'll be a breeze once I find this driver but God help me until I do.
>>
>>54627981
I have the same chip. With arch setting up WiFi is a one liner command thanks to the God tier wiki and the AUR
>>
>>54628186
Does that one line command pull from the internet? Because that's what I can't get working in the first place.
>>
>>54628219
Android tethering
>>
>>54628045
This. A toejam eating, bird fucking hippie, who calls himself a Doctor from having honorary degrees is cock blocking you from having wifi drivers.

How stupid does this sound?
welcome to Opensores.
>>
>>54628283
It's pretty shit. Someone on an IRC channel directed me to ISOs with non-free device support though, so maybe those will work
>>
Just give up. If you have a broadcom wifi chip then you should just give up.
>>
>>54628388
Never!

Unless this new installer doesn't work. Then yeah probably.
>>
>>54628388
Wew lad
>>
Are you making a router with AP functionality? then there's no real reason to waste time doing this on debian. Go for ubuntu/mint/fedora which will have this functionality out of the box. These distros respect your time.

Listen to >>54628283
as you are essentially living in 2003-2004 if you don't
>>
>>54628423
I like Debian. It respects my freedom to have never used any other distro for a meaningful amount of time. 2004 was also a great year you cretin.
>>
>>54627981
>Broadcom BCM43142

https://wiki.debian.org/wl

Did you look at this page? I know you can load drivers through a usb during a netinstall. so this should work, you should know the rest.
>>
>>54627981
Here you go OP

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=broadcom-sta-dkms
>>
>>54628459
This anon beat me to suggesting this by a fraction.
>>
>>54627981
Dunno about debian but I think you gotta enable non free repo in the sources list. Your fault fir choosing a half assed freetard wannabe distro maintained by people with suicidal tendency. At least you didn't fall for cuccdora meme
Install ubuntu, the superior debian or go Arch.
>>
>>54628459
>>54628479

I tried that first. No dice. Oh well, time to branch out.

Just to piss off Mr Router I'm going to try installing elementary instead now.

>>54628495
Wannabe distro for a wannabe man. It seemed fitting. FINE I'll go memeOS.
>>
File: 1462063988195.jpg (58 KB, 259x220) Image search: [Google]
1462063988195.jpg
58 KB, 259x220
>>54627981

>feel for debianfags bait
>>
OP you need the UnOfficial non-free netinstall isos.

heres the AMD64 version.
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.4.0/amd64/iso-cd/
>>
>>54628528
That's where I went on the advice of the IRC channel. Got the ISO, wrote the image to USB, ran the installer and pooped out again at the network device step.
>>
>>54627981
>netinstall over wifi
No Ethernet port?
>>
>>54628565
Nope. This is basically a Fisher Price netbook.
>>
>>54628565
haha. Holy shit. Debian can't get on wifi after an installer? My macbook's EFI "bios" can get on wifi. haha.
>>
>>54628591
During. During the installer. I made this thread because I can't even make it to "after."
>>
>>54627981
did you already aded the non-free repos?
did you already did:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get install module-assistant wireless-tools broadcom-sta-common

# m-a a-i broadcom-sta
# echo blacklist brcm80211 >> /etc/modprobe.d/broadcom-sta-common.conf
# update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r)

# modprobe -r b44 b43 b43legacy ssb brcm80211
# modprobe wl

?
>>
>>54628644
holy shit. what OS purgatory is this?
m-a a-i broadcom-sta

sounds like a homeless man with tourrettes.
>>
>>54628677
I was going to say Romanian.

I guess we agree on the homeless part then.
>>
>>54628591
this is not a matter on the quality of the software but if a certain piece of software can be distributed with another piece of software, there's distros that don't mind packaging non free drivers but op chooses a distro who does, the thing is knowing how to install that non-free driver.
>>
>>54628677
What do you expect from an half freetard distro
>>
>>54628512
>Just to piss off Mr Router I'm going to try installing elementary instead now.
If the firmware isn't available, switching distributions wont help. There is a reason people hate Broadcom even before Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>54628719
Oh there's a bunch of Ubuntu support threads for this chip, to the point where one of the Debian posts was "hey someone tweaked an Ubuntu driver it's probably a bad idea but try it." I'll probably be able to sort it out.
>>
>>54628677
heh, m-a is module-assistant a-i i think is auto install
https://wiki.debian.org/ModuleAssistant
>>
>>54628719
>>54628738
Confirmed: the installer natively got the WiFi adapter working.

We eOS soon boys.
>>
>>54628591
Try installing OSX on his netbook and see how it goes
>>
>>54628818
Can't. (Just checked tonymac.)
>>
>>54628818
>buying your Unix without hardware
Fools game.
>>
>>54628045
literally the first reply is a macfag shill

so you guys get paid by speed or something?
>>
Just use a distro that is not old as shit. Arch, Antergos, Ubuntu. I never understood why people use Debian and expect things working with no problems. I never had problems with Antergos, for example, because I receive updates and I am not years behind.
>>
>>54627981
this is a classic issue.

You should give up on Dedian for that particular PC. Get Obanto or Fedora, it will work inmediately with no bullshit.

Prefer Obanto GNOME or MATE.
>>
>>54630135
We do it for free.
It's an awwwwoooovement.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.