[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of advanced math do you need for programming again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1462424223574.gif (271 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1462424223574.gif
271 KB, 256x256
What kind of advanced math do you need for programming again?
>>
>>54622931
Holy fuck, never realized are so similar to Fourier Series.
>>
>>54622931
For _programming_, just some simple logic and some understanding of algorithms and complexity.

For software development, it depends on the software.
>>
>>54622966
epicycles are so similar to Fourier series*
>>
it entirely depends on the software, but at a minimum, I would say you should know linear math and statistics.
>>
>>54622931
For programming in itself not really anything beyond basic shit.

For many fields however you need some more or less advanced stuff, i.e. some calculus and preferably function theory for signal processing, lots and lots of linear algebra for graphical stuff, discrete math for pretty much everything etc.

Bottom line really is: Unless you really want to stay an easily replaceable code monkey you should know your math to actually develop stuff that matters. Otherwise you will always just implement stuff people did before you, exactly the way people did before you.
>>
File: 1462420356081.jpg (10 KB, 313x313) Image search: [Google]
1462420356081.jpg
10 KB, 313x313
>>54623075
what math do I need for webdev?
>>
>>54623243
None
>>
>>54622931
well shit. If you wanna make some dank software synths, be my guest.
>>
>>54622931
None.
>>
>>54622931
Just some calculus, discrete math and linear algebra, if you want to actually have a clue they should be enough, or simply >>54623739
>>
What exactly is discrete math used for? Algorithm development?
>>
>>54624248
The real question would be what's discrete math, niggas.
>>
>>54624293
It's a field of math that involves set theory, logic, graph theory, decision theory, number theory, etc.

It's gay nerd shit but it's pretty crucial for problem solving
>>
>>54624248
Most data structures can also be abstracted as discrete mathematical objects. Understanding those can help you tremendously in implementing them efficiently, simply by knowing exactly what the hell you are doing (i.e. (binary) trees, graphs)
>>
Algebra. That's really it.
>>
>>54622931
You just need advanced meth m8
>>
>>54623243
You're in luck, basic arethmetic is all you need to calculate how many dicks you have to suck per day
>>
>>54622931
Depends. You don't need to be a mathematician to be good at programming, but it does help.
>>
>>54624818
Nonsense.
>>
>>54622931

Literally no one needs those fancy math things. Only those normies at the hardware engineerings use them.
>>
>>54624824
What's nonsense about that? None of the programmers I know know anything beyond some basic shit like algebra and calculus. Programmers are not mathematicians, and anybody who thinks they are is misinformed.
>>
>>54622970
good answer.
>>
>>54624824
It's hard to say. You need a certain logical mind to understand mathematics, but you don't necessarily need math to learn programming. Programming is more about logic gates than math on the basic level.

A program is a series of conditional executions from one to the other. One can say a program is also a series of mathematical calculations. A state change must deal with math on some level at some point. But writing

void main() {
cout << "Hello world!";
}

...takes no math.
>>
>>54624861
the but it helps part. programming has almost nothing to do with mathematics. not even functional programming which is often memed up to be programming for mathematicians.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.