[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me one reason I should get an intel cpu.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3
File: amd-vs-intel.png (88 KB, 489x267) Image search: [Google]
amd-vs-intel.png
88 KB, 489x267
Give me one reason I should get an intel cpu.
>>
>>54614857
Intel sell K series CPUS which have 'unlock multipliers' in them.

Every AMD thing I've owned has burnt to the ground. I swear.
>>
You should, unless your poor or something.
>>
>>54614857
because zen 14nm isnt out yet
>>
>9.0 performance
Get a used 2600K, even if you are poor as fuck. My 2nd machine runs a Phenom though, but AMD can't compete when it comes to performance.

My 2nd machine draws more power in idle than my primary station, with a 300W PSU.
>>
Intel makes far better CPUs, and your CPU affects everything you do.
Only thing AMD CPUs excel at it is being more affordable.
>>
>>54615037
>Only thing AMD CPUs excel at it is being more affordable.

Not when you add in your power bill. If you run your desktop 24/7 for a year, the AMD is not even close to a good deal.
>>
>>54614913
this i had a phenom from 2009 to 2014 and it was a awful pc.

2 mobos died
ram died
cpu might have lived idk
>>
Repurposed an old Thuban for server work, it's not just the CPU, the chipsets on the boards are fucking terrible as well. Thing struggled to boot with over 24GB of memory, with 32GB the damn thing only booted a third of the time. Onboard NICs not detected by ESXi, (expected, the board manufacturer only included Realtek NICs or something), but the Quad-NIC Intel card would frequently have issues with seemingly random link drops.

Moved the add-in cards to a Xeon board and everything just screams, and runs quieter too.

AMD I love you, you were my first 64bit CPU back in the day, but I have an actual career now, I have real disposable income. You need to step up your fucking game because when I'm spending $400+ on a CPU, you're not even a blip on the radar.
>>
>>54614878
> $2.50 has been deposited into your account
>>
File: tfdzht (2).jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
tfdzht (2).jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>54615078
>2009
I'm talking about a Phenom I. But I got a Phenom II extremly cheap. The first one was already bottlenecking the OS.
>>
File: guts_shitty.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
guts_shitty.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>54615129
I bought this station after the glorious Athlon times, when I thought AMD was better than Intel. Good old times.

The FX series is now outdated as fuck, Intel doesn't do anything anymore in terms of performance, just 5-10 % with each generation and retards still buy this shit. The only new thing I could want is NVMe, but I know its useless and my 850 Pros will fit in for what they are meant for, storing games I never play.
>>
>>54614878
K is bullshit. It just means Intel has decided you're allowed to overclock.
>>
>>54615064
>power bill
you fucking poor m8?
>>
>>54614857
The price differential vanishes when you have to pay a shitload more cash for adequate cooling so your AMD doesn't melt. I've had two AMDs one died without warning the other fried.
>>
Intel CPUs are in a nutshell better. I consider Intel a filthy company and I truly hope the new AMD processors will be good, but currently AMD only has the 8350 or 8370 to offer, since the 9XXX series is BTFOd in almost every benchmark.

Maybe for $200 the 8350 is a better buy than its Intel counterpart, because you can overclock it to mad levels, but $270 gets you the 6600K and AMD has nothing for that money.
>>
>>54614857
>value
An amd may cost $60 and an Intel cpu may cost $160 but at the end of the day if it's always on you'll be paying out the ass in electricity
>>
>>54615184
K CPUs are binned to have a higher resistance to overvolting.
>>
>>54615184
>It just means Intel has decided you're allowed to overclock

yes thats what it means exactly, numbnutz
>>
>>54615385

10 rupees have been added to your account.
>>
>>54615064
this
>>
>>54615385
>>54615415
Except that Skylake was able to overclock non-K parts, and later Intel decided that you shouldn't be able to push your hardware to the limits like that and patched it. You shouldn't need the blessing of some company to overclock.
>>
>>54615513

Yeah especially when overclocking blows the warranty anyway.
>>
>>54615326
>Implying electricity isn't free at this point in time
???
>>
>>54615674
Unless you live with your mom or have your own tesla generator it actually isn't no.
>>
>>54614913
>a phenom can't compete with the latest and greatest from Intel
YOU DON'T FUCKING SAY
>>
>>54615064
Who does that?

Why wouldn't you just use an arm sbc instead?
>>
>>54615193
>u fuckin poor m8
>buys amd
Top kek
>>
>>54615760
I run my machine all the time, but being an AMD system I can freely fuck with the clocks and it won't give a fuck. At night it drops down to 400Mhz and halts four cores.
>>
>>54614857
My first CPUs I purchased for building my own were AMD during the Pentium 1/2 transition. My Athalon 64 3800+ was a powerhouse vs my fathers P4 at that time and cost half as much. Really though, the last time AMD was able to hold their own against Intel was the Phenom to Phenom II transition and then it was over. I still have an Athalon X2 5000+ and a 265 x2 at home in case SHTF with one of my servers, but the days of AMD being a real competitor seem to be over. APUs are great for emerging markets and children spec laptops, but the real business is where the i5 sits and dominates currently and AMD cant touch a 4460 or 6500 for the same money. If every program could access 8 cores and 16 threads, then sure AMD would clean up again but that optimization is too far away.

Tl;dr AMD is a decade too early for mainstream octo cores to really show their strengths for dollar.
>>
>>54615466
>>54615096

If this is how you get through your arguments...you're only hurting yourself if you can't find a better job for money.
>>
>AMD
Requires a coal powered fireplant to power the CPUs and cranks out more heat than one.
>>
>>54615064
That's absolutely bullshit and has been debunked numerous times.
>>
>>54614857
Reason to get an Intel processor...

1. You love H1B visa abuse.

2. You hate white people and prefer a world where they are blatantly discriminates against in hiring practices.

3. You have an actual need for it work wise.

So unless you work for fucking Pixar or you're a batshit level SJW or a member of the nation of islam, then you likely have zero reason to seek out specifically an Intel CPU.
>>
>>54615734
>latest and greatest
>2600k
>>
>>54614857
until zen, no reason not to especially if you game, after zen, only if you absolutely need a 10 core or higher cpu till amds 16 cores are buyable.
>>
>>54617345
4. You want to brag about your computer to your street shitting partners but the only thing they've heard of is Intel
5. Your CPU can't heat up too much or the smell of cow poo in the floor starts circulating and turns you off when trying to rape your mother.
>>
>>54615734
kek this

I feel like most people that shill against AMD are faggots that had either a Phenom/Athlon and overclocked the piss out of it or just hate Radeon (separate topic.)
>>
>>54615785
Isn't there an AMD utility for this in windows?
>>
>>54623141
My 965 BE overclocked 500 Mhz out of the box stable without touching the voltage
>>
>>54615734
Intel shills are a special kind of stupid
>>
>>54624880
>Shilling for end-of-life products
Phenom II was better than FX shit though
I wish I could OC mine
>>
>>54626923
>fx was worse than phenom
What?
>>
>>54614857
Currently?
Power consumption.

Until Zen comes out that is.

After zen comes out we will have to compare performance and consumption wise
>>
>>54626923
Intel shills spreading fud again
>>
>>54617345
>>54623135
6. You want a potential hardware back door in your computer with Intel's Management Engine included in every post 2009 Intel processor except possibly the Atom series and in some motherboards before 2009*

*note: AMD processors post 2013 also have a potential hardware back door with the Platform Security Processor, but at least you can get a decently powerful back door free processor from AMD
>>
>>54614857
Eh, just stick to AMD. It might be shit but if there aren't enough diehard fans supporting its products and giving it a chance to keep improving we're going to basically have an Intel monopoly, and nobody wants that.
>>
>>54628035
Except it's not shit?
>>
>>54628041
Sure bro
>>
>>54614878
Yes, and with many other disabled features, such as IOMMU
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.