[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bought an XPS 13 developer edition (Ubuntu preinstalled) last
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Capture.png (133 KB, 580x416) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
133 KB, 580x416
Bought an XPS 13 developer edition (Ubuntu preinstalled) last year.

Had to return it due to

1. Loud fan audible constantly even when idle
2. Battery lasting 2 hours
3. Wireless issues

Are these fixed or is it still a shitty laptop?

In the latter case, what's a good non-Thinkpad laptop that runs Linux well? I just can't deal with the god awful touchpad on the new ThinkPads.
>>
Well, I'm pretty happy with my Latitude E5440.
That said the touchpad is horrible.
>>
>>54603399

Touch pad is crap. So is keyboard.

I don't understand how a £1000 laptop has such a terrible build.
>>
MBP
>>
>>54603486

paying all that money for something that can't run gnu/linux natively
>>
>>54603399
Stuck with a x220t here to. :'( need some thing lighter and smaller for travel but meh linux is absolutely needed.
>>
>>54603623
I'll buy it from you for $150
>>
>>54603399
I have the 2015 13, never had any issues with the fan or battery life (under both Ubuntu and Windows) Did you get a new one or just return it?
>>
>>54603531
Wanting a sysV clone when sysV sucked.
not wanting a BSD based OS.
>>
I'm getting mine tomorrow. Hope it will be good, read lots of stories about shit builds. Mate has got one and it's pretty good
>>
Still shit.
>>
depends, did you just copy paste your points from reddit?
>>
>>54603399
we warned you mate
>>
>>54605159
If you use an up to date distro it may be better, there's a new kernel out that supposedly has drivers.
>>
>>54603399
Gee, it's as if you don't you know how to fucking Google things:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/400/tips-to-extend-battery-life-for-laptops-and-notebooks

https://bartongeorge.net/2015/09/30/alternate-touchpad-configuration-for-xps-9343-developer-edition-running-ubuntu-15-04/
>>
>>54605150 see >>54605242 for suggestions on how to improve battery and touchpad.

If you have issues, open a support ticket with Dell. and if first line support is unable to help, you can use this: http://www.dell.com/support/incidents/us/en/19/CareForms/ProvideInfo/CareUnresolved?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Above all, (assuming US), you have 21 days to return it if you are not happy.
>>
>>54605234
>>54605242

Is this *STILL* what Linux users do to get basic hardware functionality? wew lad, I had to that shit in the 90's when Linux was new. I guess it hasn't changed much.
>>
>>54605312
so much tasty bait
>>
>>54605312
Dell Latitudes tend to "just werk" with Linux. You might have to tweak a few settings if you aren't using an official offering that they sell (RHEL/Ubuntu.)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.