[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career & Cert
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: comptia11[1].png (18 KB, 705x350) Image search: [Google]
comptia11[1].png
18 KB, 705x350
What are you working towards? Need advice? Want to know how to use certs to get jobs? Post it here.

If you've got a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location
>Any advice for those wanting to be in your shoes
>>
>>54602407
>Job Title
Unemployed
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ (just passed the exam a few days ago). Highschool dropout.
Connections but i fucked up and lost the opportunity. Now i'll have to look for it myself and i have no idea of what i'll be getting into. I hope i can find a place to practice and gain experience but i'm afraid i won't find much.
>Location
Italy
>Any advice
Procastination will ruin your life. Don't be a lazy retard like me or you'll end up an idiot and a loser. Get your things done as fast as possible.
>>
>>54602517
How did you fuck up?
>>
>>54602407
I'm working on rhce and ccna. hoping I can find some tech support work
>>
>>54602407
>Job Title
Unemployed/HS Grad
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
HS Diploma, Microsoft MTA, CompTIA A+ and Network+
>Location
Miami
>Advice
Not really in a position to give any right now.

Just looking for something that pays decently to help me get through college soon.
>>
Security certs + a clearance is the only way to go now. Everything else is infested with Indians and Pakis
>>
>>54602407

>Job Title
Info Sec Administrator
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
BS Digital Forensics
Had 2 years experience in security, just applied
>Pay
58k US
>Location
US
Home lab, home lab,... practice
Seriously most jobs you will get with experience. I have zero certs but have experience. Most good employers will be more interested in your experience or home lab than anything else. If your home lab is more than a wireless router and a few workstations it shows you have more than just monkey with a wrench skills.
>>
>>54602407

>Job Title
Security Consultant
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
None
Applied for it
>Pay
>Location
Murrica
Quit being a massive weeb faggot, apply for every job, dedicate your life to being fucking good at it
>>
>>54604602
Literally the worst job in the world, if you have rhce and ccna you should beable to find anything better on that spot.
>>
>>54605478
Well good thing poo in loos can't get a clearance right?
>>
>>54602407
>Systems Engineer
>2-4
>None
>LinkedIn/Indeed/etc
>Total comp ~120-140k
>DC Metro area

Focus on content and quality experience over tinkering with certs, but certs are still valuable for government and industries more likely to have legacy hiring requirements like healthcare etc. Certs/graduate degrees will help for some government contracting pay scales but in recent years not as much as you'd think.
>>
File: 665455555656.jpg (37 KB, 379x503) Image search: [Google]
665455555656.jpg
37 KB, 379x503
>>54605677
Smells like bullshit kid
>>
>>54607060
Big tech companies and/or high cost of living areas provide enough evidence of this being true. I doubt the poster lives in the midwest for instance.
>>
>>54602407
Honestly these kids make shit up all day on these boards. You don't want a tech cert (though they don't hurt), and you dont want to go for "general IT" or to be a "sysadmin".
PMP in agile software development is the best cert for the price.
If you understand programming and can effectively communicate with people without being a fucking sperg, you will make over 100k a year as a development project manager.
>>
>tfw when had an offer for my dream job before graduating, in cali, it paid 66k (avg housing cost is only like 130k, rent from 500-1000 a month), and i'd get my name in history if the project was successful
>tfw offer rescinded, trying to find work
life sucks, kill me
>>
>>54607129
Yeah cuz corporations pay degree-less fools 140 a year to do something a certified professional will do for 80...
Just analyze his tone/ writing style, obv shit post
>>
Is Coursera worth it? I'm taking a database course right now but my assignments are being graded by pooinloos with zero helpful feedback and the teacher has no contact information.
>>
>>54607188
I have a teammate who has no degrees or certs but slightly more experience and earns this much at BigName TechCo and they are a salaried employee not a consultant as that poster implies.

It is hard for me to believe that salary is a thing even in a high cost of living area if the person can't read/write code to some degree but it isn't unheard of.
>>
>>54606997
Mah nigga
>>
>Job Title
Director of Technology
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
A+, 4 shitty Apple certs
University website
>Pay
$70k
>Location
SoCal
Work hard, work your way up. Make connections. It's so not /g/ to suggest but interpersonal communication is really the ticket. If you can be a normie while doing a traditionally nerdy as fuck job, you're in.
>>
>>54607242
Ok, I'm just saying that coincidental anicdote and the posters $140,000 no degree story smells like bullshit salad
>>
>Systems Engineer
>1 or 3 depending on how you count
>Masters Eng, no certs
>I interned there last summer. I got the internship by applying.
>83000 usd
>Greater DC
>Be a US citizen capable of not smelling bad, maintaining eye contact, and doing what the fuck you said you would do and you'll go real far
>>
>>54607263
Fake
>>
>>54607302
Oh yeah and don't do drugs. Lots of places still test these days.
>>
>>54607307

Not even remotely fake, I work at a UC.
>>
>>System engineer
>5 years
>> master of commerce, CCNA
>> 81k AUD
>>Perth WA
>>work through on those cisco stuffs, learn routing, switching, MPLS, firewalls, Learn about failover technique. Also fuck know all even if its only basic shit like VMWARE, exchange administration and troubleshooting, IP technologies, Windows server. Also abuse the fuck out of TAC if you are stuck and get as much knowledge during the tshoot session.
>>
>>54607331
>director of technology
>70k
>6 years experience
>no education listed
>>
>>54607332
just to add, like what all other anon said, polish your interpersonal and communication skills.
>>
>>54607360

I don't understand, what is the problem? The title is totally inflated, but everything is commensurate. Same title as my predecessor. Department size is 120, we have 2,000 students in the major.
>>
>>54602407
>MSP Consultant
>9 years
>Electronics Engineering Diploma
>Owner scooped me from another company
>68K
>Alberta, CAN

Have been considering some mcse but haven't committed. Not sure what to do with my career.
>>
File: hyde.jpg (137 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
hyde.jpg
137 KB, 970x546
>>54602407
> Systems Assistant
> 1 (real) + 3 (made up)
> Security+ , A+
> Indeed.com or some shit
> 42k with 7% bonus
> Southern California
> It is aight, but just fake it till you make it.
>>
>>54607769
I shitpost on the internet and talk to friends like 80% of my 40 hour work week and my boss doesn't bother me for shit.

I am working on my CCNA or Microsoft server cert 2012 or I might go down the line to get into infosec as I have friends that work there and I have some skills relating to that field. Ama I guess
>>
>>54602407
>>Job Title
search engine evaluator
>>Years of Experience
>>Degrees/Certs
comptia a+, net+
>>How did you find/get job
referral
>>Pay
13.50/hr
>>Location
USA
>>Any advice for those wanting to be in your shoes
it's mind numbing but ez moni
>>
File: blue water boy-.png (154 KB, 205x469) Image search: [Google]
blue water boy-.png
154 KB, 205x469
Currently working towards an A+ and then a Network+.

Through autism and vocational rehab I was able to get into a neat employment program and I am currently one month into a four month computer technician training program. After that, another month for the Network+.

I'm doing well so far but it is a lot of information and at times I feel like killing myself. Overall it's not bad. I'm trying to not be cynical but I can't help feeling like the end result is going to be kind of disappointing as far as what immediate employment, future employment and pay is like.

Luckily I'll have help with job placement but I'm still worried about the job searching process the most out of anything. I keep hearing about how networking is so important and as you can imagine that's not my strong suit. I can barely keep a group of friends.

I can fake normal on some level but it's extremely... painful.
>>
I don't want to do much programming/software dev as much as I want to do some sort of Project Management in an IT business. Do I go for a Bachelor of IT and work my way up or do I go for a Bachelor of Project Management anyway? Also, I heard PM is mostly oriented around the building/construction industries. Is that true?
>>
>1/4th through bachelors in computer information systems
>want to get CCNA, A+, etc. once I graduate
>want to find work with those certs, get experience, and then try and get into infosec

Sound like a decent plan?

I'm kind of worried that I'm getting too old though (28 now, soon 29)
>>
>>54613671
Why don't you get ccna now? it's not nearly that hard as people say
>>
File: awoo.jpg (143 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
awoo.jpg
143 KB, 1200x1200
>Job Title
Security Admin intern
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
A+, N+
Lateral switch from my other internship
>Pay
17$ an hour
>Location
New England
Don't be a fucking retarded shit.
>>
>>54613707
I was told it expires after 2-3 amount of years; so better to get CCNA once I'm finished rather than right away, right?
>>
Getting my ADM315 cert in a couple months, will probably also get a refresher for the HANA Certified Support Engineer course too.

>Senior Support Engineer
>4 years within current scope
>Bachelor of Business Admin in MIS, no certs when I started
>$100k/yr
>suburbs outside Philadelphia
>a lot of employers at larger companies are willing to train you if you can show that you are smart academically and technically and can pick up new skills
>>
recent assoc. degree grad, no certs, which security ones should i start with?
>>
>>54613722
It expires after 3 years

imho, i'd get ccna and use it to learn, after you finish you should strive for ccnp
>>
When people say $XYZ/year, does that mean before or after taxes?
>>
>>54613750
Before.
>>
>>54613770
so how much usually i would have to cut from that to get real number?

i don't know how usa works
>>
>>54613785
United states taxes vary by income bracket and state. If you make ~70K-$100K you'll probably pay around 30% income tax, to give you an idea (it varies though, Texas for example has no state income tax).

Sales tax on goods purchased also varies by state and area, being anywhere from 0%-10% (6% is pretty common). Prices quoted on store shelves are rarely inclusive of tax.
>>
Consultant

Bachelors of Science, Microbiology. No active certs, previous certs: CCNA, RHCSA.

Owner of a small NYC based consulting firm.

$125/hour (not salaried)

NYC

MSP, MSP, MSP! Seriously. I worked at an MSP for six of the eight years of my experience, and I learnt MUCH more than if I would have been stuck at a single company.
>>
>>54610591
Just have to fake normal during the interview and around your boss. Other than that feel free to sperg away.
>>
>>54613936
Wtf is msp?
>>
>>54614117
Managed services provider.

It's a company that provides managed IT services/consulting to businesses.
>>
>>54614134
How do I squeeze my way into a MSP in NY(C)? I'm starting the cert journey (studying for CCENT right now) and working out on Long Island for an underwriting firm doing super-light IT work (read: in-house help desk to see if we don't have to spend money on the MSP we have), scripting, and filling the rest of that with data entry and excel spreadsheet construction/tinkering. It's a surprisingly nice place considering but I don't want to be here for too long.
>>
>>54602407
>Job Title
Advanced Operations Technician T2
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
CCNA
Applied on Indeed
>Pay
60k/ year base + benefits and shit
>Location
DC Area
Lie about experience, CCNA helped me tremendously
>>
>>54614327
It's pretty fucking easy to get a helpdesk position. I was lucky to go from working for the VA to an engineering (read Jr SysAdmin) at an MSP.

The biggest advice I can offer is know your basics. You're going to be dealing with a metric shit ton of printer errors, seriously.
>>
>>54613722
get CCENT first, and then take the second exam to get CCNA when ready, since passing the next level of Cisco certs automatically renews your old ones.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.