[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question about DBAN'ing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: dban.png (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
dban.png
52 KB, 500x500
I have a laptop I want to sell because I bought a new one. I want to DBAN the hard drive. I can't reformat it or install another OS because USB ports and CD drive don't work. The copy of Windows I have on there isn't genuine because I've reformatted it once before and the fucking CD key sticker on the bottom of the laptop rubbed off. If I were to take out my laptop's hard drive, put it in an exclosure, stick it into my desktop and DBAN it from there, and then re-install Windows 7/8/10, could I put it back into my laptop and would it still function? (I would need to install the driver's but besides that would this work?)
>>
just
dd bs=4M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
and leave it for a few hours.

Nobody will recover even a single byte of data from your disk drive.
>>
>no usb & cd
Have you already found a buyer ?
It might be a better idea to just fix the usb ports.
>>
Yes, it'll work.
>>
>>54601807
How do I fix the USB ports? I don't exactly know why they don't work. They sometimes too, but if I wiggled whatever is plugged in, I get a memo telling me that my USB ports stopped functioning or that it might be faster to use 1.1 USB.
>>
>>54601919
Get a Linux livecd boot it up and see if you have the same problems there. If not it might be driver related issue. I won't tell you how to use linux or what a livecd is. You can google it yourself.
>>
>>54601779
dd bs=1M if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda
then
dd bs=4M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

Just to make sure all data is cleared.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.