[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech twilight era
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: best_os.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
best_os.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
Are we in the twilight era of technology right now?

>Desktop PCs are virtually dead outside the business market and enthusiast market and are dying in both
>Laptops are being replaced by tablets and smartphone
>Memes like """the cloud""" and the """""internet of things""""" are taking over
>Normies have invaded everything
>The government have ruined everything
>Processors on the high end aren't speeding up as much with new generations, silicon has been pushed to its limit
>Processors overall are becoming slower because "muh low power"
>Development of technology in general is much slower
>Software is becoming progressively more shit, the only good OS is GNU/Linux and even that's shit
>The Internet has turned into shitty memes and clickbait
>>
>>54585401
>Desktop PCs are virtually dead
Absolutely not.
>Laptops are being replaced by tablets and smartphone
Not replaced, supplemented by.
>>
>>54585401
people are still using desktops and laptops they just aren't running out to the store to buy a new one every year anymore.

I know people that havent bought a new laptop since 2008, Shit just works so they keep using it.
>>
File: cheers.gif (507 KB, 318x212) Image search: [Google]
cheers.gif
507 KB, 318x212
Agree with pretty much everything you say OP.
But I don't think its a twilight era of technology as such.
More like a twilight era of the free Internet and user independence.
>>
File: 5330437757.png (30 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
5330437757.png
30 KB, 300x135
I'm happy as long as my Internet speeds keep rising.
>>
People aren't required to buy a new desktop for general use anymore, our operating systems aren't getting any more or less demanding for general use, so old hardware works fine
>>
It's called commercialization
It already happened only now is more widespread because technology is becoming increasingly ubiquitous
>>
even if the desktop market for the average user were to die, hobbyists would keep it alive, be they gaymers or freetards
>>
>>54585674
This, most people are using Windows, and Windows has become less demanding since Windows 7 so there's no reason to upgrade older PCs.
>>
>>54585710
And people looking for a solid home workstation.
>>
>>54585715
lel

>i5 5200u
>6gb ram
>shitty 5200rpm hdd

quite fast under 8.1
slow as fuck under 10

fuck off pajeet
>>
>>54585401
Technology is now a commodity. If you don't PLAY GAEMS it should be possible to buy perfectly good professionally refurbished business units for dirt cheap for pretty much ever.
>>
>>54585742
>HDD

found your problem Tushar
>>
>>54585742
From what I have noticed on a couple of PCs that were upgraded that Windows 10 actually runs better than Windows 8.
>>
>>54585766
This. I'm probably going to get a z600 or z800 instead of building some shit amd rig because all i need it for is shitposting and running a fuckton of monitors.
>>
>>54585767
This. But the only thing is Normies wont be going out buying SSDs.
>>
>>54585401
No, the technology boom is just ending. There's no reason to buy a new laptop or upgrade their desktops every single year, so most people outside of enthusiasts and businesses who need to just don't do it. The industry is normalizing. People don't buy new cars every year either.

You've just spent too much time on /g/ and in "tech-culture", where that sort of obsessive upgrading and tech-consumption is normal.
>>
Eh, normies have not invaded everything.
For example,
Forums
Chans
That one BBS that still runs
IRC

But we actually need normies to invade those places so they can become un-normie. That will preserve the golden age of the internet.
>>
>>54585742
>8GB RAM
>i5 5200U
>Toshiba 5400rpm
fast as fuck on (preinstalled) W10 Home on a shitty 425 dollar Toshiba C5241
>>
>>54585853
Usually (from my experience) Toshiba drives are terrible. Although I had a 5200rpm Samsung drive in a laptop before, it was slower than my 9 year old PC until I replaced it with an SSD.
>>
>>54585904
yeah, it is complete garbage when loading heavy files. I'm considering a 7200rpm HDD as I'm a poorfag but this is still usable as long as you don't play too much vidya on it
>>
>>54585853
Eh, I'd try another fresh install but i rarely use that laptop anymore since i bought a t420. Literally the only thing i use it for is playing fallout 3 and beamng drive because fuck WINE.
>>
>>54585941
I play the same on this one but beamng runs like dogshit on the intel 5500. The PC is only 4 months old and is shared with my sister
>>
>>54585957
I had to create a Unity Demo for college with Intel HD 4500 graphics. Terrible experience.
>>
Op knows what he's talking about. He speaks the truth. And then all you hipsters in the comments chime in your own lil spin or additional present problems. U all just want to be correct because ur all entitled lil fucking man children.
>>
>>54586016
Yup, the integrated graphics are there for "basic 3d" but basic 3d I imagine that "basic 3d" is from the 2008s as the only vidya you can run on them is from the early 2010 era
>>
>>54585957
it works fine on overall quality normal and everything off but AA on my g50-80. Not smooth, but playable with 2 cars.
>>
>>54586019
Yep, you got us! Let's pack it in lads, we've been found out.
>>
>>54585663
My ISP double my speed from 25 to 50 Mbps and I didn't even notice
>>
I'm trying to find an audio sample. I think Richard Stallman is linked to this sample, but I can't find it. At 0:32 there is a clip about software and copyleft played through a mic, but I can't find the original audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjozHzpXsEs
I'm out of ideas, can anyone help?
>>
Yeah, but the future is so bright it's going to sparkle.
>>
>>54586217
It's not really noticeable with surfing the web. It's great for downloading files though if it runs at full speed.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.