[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I start with Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 1462791405355.png (213 KB, 311x389) Image search: [Google]
1462791405355.png
213 KB, 311x389
I don't know shit
>>
google
>>
install ubuntu, works like installing any other os
put the iso file contents on a bootable usb stick, boot that shit from the bios menu, try it first, then install it if you like it

ubuntu is neat because of the giant community behind it which has answers for any questions you could ever ask
>>
>>54570993
>>>/flt/
Read the Install Gentoo Wiki
Here's a tip:
BunsenLabs a best, I recommend it to newbies all the time.
>>
>>54571076
>>54571068
How did you/when did you get started with Linux

Also, how long until I fully understand how to use it?
>>
>>54571126
i installed ubuntu a few months ago, tried a few other distros, ended up sticking with ubuntu because of how easy it is to switch desktop enviornments from the login screen

i figured out how stuff like the package manager and how to install programs pretty quick, took me about 2-3 days before i was able to remember a good few commands and install different DE's
>>
>>54571155
Do you have to memorize commands?
>>
File: computer-office_space.jpg (176 KB, 1600x1213) Image search: [Google]
computer-office_space.jpg
176 KB, 1600x1213
>>54571155
>been using ubuntu a few months
>feels qualified to give linux advice to noobs
>>
File: smugoffice.jpg (239 KB, 1280x673) Image search: [Google]
smugoffice.jpg
239 KB, 1280x673
>>54571761
How long have you been using Linux?
>>
>>54571721

No. None frankly. You can easily install and run Ubuntu or Mint or the other "noob" distros without any in depth knowledge.

You'll naturally learn how to do more and more from command lines as you need to, but pretty much everything a beginner needs has a GUI if you need it.

If you can make a bootable USB, you can definitely run Ubuntu, no problem.

>>54571761

In his defense, 20 year Linux veteran ubermenschen might not make it maximally accessible.
>>
File: 5-15-2016 10:31:07 PM.png (436 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
5-15-2016 10:31:07 PM.png
436 KB, 1920x1080
>>54570993

install it somehow, either in a dual-boot or a vm. spend some time trying to use it as if it were your main OS. try to use it and when you hit a wall, don't just give up, keep researching and trying to find a solution. when you feel you're ready start trying to replace comfy gui programs with text-based ones.

don't listen to the arch meme, it's completely fine to use ubuntu. you can install whatever you want from a third-party repo or from source. the fundamentals of linux are the same across all distributions and the only difference is how they're set up by default. ubuntu is extremely stable and beginner-friendly and you can learn at your own pace.

oh, and don't pick a distribution based on screenshots, you can make any distro look however you want, just with more or less work per each. pic related.

when you're comfortable, use it as your main os, and you won't look back. the learning curve is very steep but it pays off.
>>
>>54570993
download ubuntu, load live cd, ctrl + alt + backspace and go for the gold
>>
File: 4L_2Vc4eXZ3.jpg (104 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
4L_2Vc4eXZ3.jpg
104 KB, 540x720
>>54570993
Install gentoo
>>
>>54571068
install chaletos
>>
>>54572766
We all know someone who tried to switch to Linux but was unsuccessful. The system that he tried was too different from what he was used to, there were too many new things and the old things were not where he expected. The goal of this project is to let anyone get used to Linux. This system is not too different from Xubuntu, on which it is based, but ChaletOS has a style that everyone knows well, appealing simplicity and an impressive speed. All this will let them to fall in love with this system quickly. Because of its small hardware requirements it will revive some old machines and refresh others, not so old.
>>
>>54570993
>Ubuntu
Ease of use, app store, basically a nice compromise between linux and a more mainstream OS like Windows or OSX.
>Debian, RHEL, etc
Great for server use and is widely used in the business world.
>Arch, Gentoo
Not really a meme. More time-consuming to set up but afterwards isn't complicated. Amazing potential for customization and ricing.

Those are the only three options to really consider, everything else is based on one of these or an ultra niche OS.
>>
>>54572917
this.
Debian is nice for desktops
>>
If you're actually interested in using an operating system, try Ubuntu (or any forks thereof) or maybe Fedora.

If you want to learn about Linux and how it works, install gentoo.
>>
youtube,com?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.