[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I'm a CG artist / amateur photographer, and I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
File: 1455646323002.png (748 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1455646323002.png
748 KB, 1280x720
Hey /g/, I'm a CG artist / amateur photographer, and I would like to learn LUA, is it doable for someone like me with zero programming experience to learn LUA?

I want to learn it because a piece of software I wanted to use (opensource) is not being developed anymore, and the SDK of the program its for, uses LUA for plugins.

specifically talking about this:
https://sites.google.com/site/dorfl68/

ignore the:
>(I am working on Paddy for LR CC. Please be patient. This will take a few weeks)
that was more than a year ago.

Sadly the developer has stopped working on it, and I really need it, and I don't know any programmers irl, so my best guess is to learn LUA and make it myself.

>why LUA:
>Lightroom always had a way to write "plugins" in an obscure language called LUA. Now for the first time in LR CC, these plugins can influence the slider settings in the develop module.

http://paddy-for-lightroom.blogspot.nl/2015/07/lightroom-sdk-opens-up-development.html

This software would make the lives of many photographers (pro and amateur) a lot easier, but since big companies don't care, and photographers can't code, we're fucked.
>>
File: 1448315890929.png (370 KB, 314x478) Image search: [Google]
1448315890929.png
370 KB, 314x478
Video demonstration:
https://youtu.be/-TRl9DqtnxA
>>
File: 1437933540876.png (622 KB, 3040x2580) Image search: [Google]
1437933540876.png
622 KB, 3040x2580
It is literally impossible for you to learn anything

Also lightroom a shit
>>
Anybody can learn any programming language with enough time and effort.

But another option would be to put up a bounty for someone who already knows LUA to come and finish it, and/or advertise for someone to finish it on a freelance coding site. Just be sure to ignore the lowballing Pajeets who will provide you with garbage.
>>
sure, why not? The project is probably a mess though, but good luck.
>>
You are trying to get into programming with a particular project in mind. This can be both a blessing and a curse.

On the one hand, the project can act as a long-term goal to keep you motivated. On the other hand, long-term means LONG-TERM. You will not reach a capacity to do anything meaningful with your programming skills until solving many many many unrelated, seemingly insignificant problems. It's a big time investment.

If you think being able to write plugins for this program is adequate reason for this time-sink, then do it. On the bright side, you might discover that you can apply programming skills to different problems you previously didn't think about.

That's my two cents based on my own experience with this stuff.
>>
File: 1451421910609.gif (1 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1451421910609.gif
1 MB, 600x338
>>54569857
>>54569874
thanks for the response. The problem is that I already have little to no free time, am a broke student, about to graduate, but first I have to find an internship, but this project seems to important to just let it rot. If only I had money, I'd pay a professional to do it.

I guess I'm fucked.
>>
>>54569935
also meant for: >>54569864

>>54569935
>seems to important
*too
>>
>>54569935
>If only I had money, I'd pay a professional to do it.
>This software would make the lives of many photographers (pro and amateur) a lot easier

Take up a collection from these many artists, then. There's probably a better site than Kickstarter to do it with (given that someone would have to hold onto the money until the programmer's work was completed/assessed), but that's at least in the right line of thinking.
>>
File: 1450669791823.png (183 KB, 386x406) Image search: [Google]
1450669791823.png
183 KB, 386x406
>>54569987
I thought about that, but the problem with that is advertising, and getting the word out to all those photographers.
>>
>>54570004
Yes, it would take work. If you're halfway clever about it it wouldn't take that much, since there are probably forums dedicated to the software, or otherwise you could make threads at various photography forums. The biggest problem would be making a way or designating a person to have the collected money held, so that people didn't have to be worried about the money being run off with.
>>
>>54569987
>>54570080
>>54569857
>bounty
is there a website for such a thing? putting a bounty on something you want, to get someone to make it?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.