[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>You don't like it, you don't use it. It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
>You don't like it, you don't use it. It's literally that simple.

>This is the same thing as with the GPL. I absolutely _detest_ people who whine about the GPL - and there are more GPL haters out there than BK haters. It's _their_ problem.

>EXACT SAME THING. Nobody has the right to whine about another persons choice of license. You have a choice: use it or don't. Complaining about the license to the author isn't part of it.

>Larry can tell you that we've discussed the BK license in private, and he definitely knows that I'd really like for it to be an open source license. But I also suspect that Larry will tell you that I haven't been whining about it - I've been trying to come up with ways it could work out for him, considering that he's got employees to take care of, and I haven't been able to come up with anything that would convince him. Fair enough.

>Because it really is his choice. Not mine. Not yours. Not Andrea's.

>And dammit, that choice is as close to "sacred" as anything can get in software development as far as I'm concerned.

>To paraphrase Voltaire - "I may disagree with your choice of license, but I shall defend to the death your right to choose it". That goes for Larry, and for the BSD people and for all the people who write software for a living using some really nasty licenses.

>And the same thing goes for users. Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit.

Has he ever been wrong?
>>
Yes.

>Nobody has the right to whine about another persons choice of license.

Wrong.
>>
>>54567115
>Nobody has the right to whine about other people whining about another person's choice of license.
>>
>>54567115
He's not American so doesn't grok free speech.
>>
Technically I do have a right to whine about another person's choice of license. I don't have a right for that person (or anyone else) to listen to me, though.
>>
File: 1447416534369.jpg (24 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
1447416534369.jpg
24 KB, 301x267
>>54567092
>And the same thing goes for users. Anybody who tells me I can't use a program because it's not open source, go suck on rms. I'm not interested. 99% of that I run tends to be open source, but that's _my_ choice, dammit.
>>
Based finland finman linusfin
>>
>>54567092
>nobody has the right to whine
>image is about real freedom
>>
>>54568533
>nobody has the right to whine
>whining about others whining
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.