[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I'm beginning to realize the full effects of not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 266x190) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 266x190
Hey /g/, I'm beginning to realize the full effects of not paying attention in high school math. I'm at a community college getting credits to transfer to a university for a degree in CS, and I'm realizing that I actually need to know math to get through the degree. I've dropped precalculus and nearly failed "advanced" algebra.

What can I do to get good at math? I have to get to Calculus 4 by the end of the degree, along with a lot of other math classes I have no chance of passing at this rate.

Are there any good sites to go to for learning math on your own? I've heard Khan Academy is good, are there any good others?

Thanks family
>>
Pretend that you like math, and then, do all your homework, and then, pass the exam.
>>
PatrickJMT

You're going to need multivariable calc to be able to take third and fourth year courses bro. You're fucked if you're not even in calc yet
>>
You're just like every other CS student, OP. They're all gonna be math minors. Yeah right.

After calculus I my classes got tiny. It was just us (physics majors) and math majors in it. CS students were too busy wanking to javascript.
>>
>>54561953
I have no intention of minoring in math, Calc 4 is a required part of the curriculum
>>
>takes math degree
>doesnt know HS math

WHAT

Yes, CS is a math degree
>>
>>54561708
best way to do this is to hire a post graduate math student to teach you. Them post grad degrees cost megabucks and they need the money. Be honest with them. Tell them you need them to teach you all the best methods of learning. If they ask $30 an hour pay them 40. If they ask 50 pay them 60. That way they will value you more and they will feel obliged to answer phone calls and texts
>>
>>54562441
this sounds really good

also, I recommend doing like I did: started in khan academy on Algebra 1, when I got stucked in some basic math I would learn it outside khan and then go back to it.

As my degree doesn't have that much math, I just did algebra 1 and 2 -> geometry -> trigonometry and finally pre calculus.
Also, do ALOT of exercises when you finish certain topics. Best of luck
>>
Drop out and go to trade school. You're hopeless
>>
>>54562383
>Yes, CS is a math degree

Not really.

That is like saying that sociology is a math degree, just because you touch on the most trivial of trivial mathematics.

t. actual math major

Call me when you know topology.
>>
>>54561708

Don't just watch videos.

Read a book, you nigger.
>>
Consider giving up. CS isn't for everyone, especially people who can't even do basic algebra
>>
>>54563914
Damn I got placed in math 40 last time I did a assessment. Guess I should just go into the trades.
>>
>>54563983
Please do. There are plenty of job opportunities in trades
>>
Go to libgen.io and look for:

Basic Mathematics - Serge Lang
Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning - Eccles

That's all you need to jump into a rigorous university calc course.
>>
>>54561708
Firstly this would be better off in /sci/
Secondly all the maths in CS tends to be the gay discrete stuff like combinatorics and graphs. The most exciting stuff you'll do is linear algebra and number theory
>>
>>54563658
>Topology
>Manifolds
>Differentiating over manifolds

Try this: https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/functional-differential-geometry

You treat data as a distribution in high-dimensional space and 'machine learning' is done by differentiating across those dimensions. There's a whole area called Information Geometry which treats the parameter spaces of statistical models as Riemannian manifolds under the Fisher information metric. It's like magic when you see it done in this book.

Computer Science is full of interesting math not just Graph Theory and Discrete structures.
>>
>>54561708
I wouldn't sweat it. Everyone who has only taken high school level math acts like math i's this scary thing, and I think that might just be how it's taught in school.
Just take the classes you have to, and do your best. At first it will be hard, but it gets easier.
I just finished all the lower level maths (calc i-iv, diff eq, matrix algebra) at my school, and my worst grades were 3.0 in some of them. I suck at math, so if I can do it, you can too.
>>
>>54561708

Here's a great website,

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Make sure to check out the "Reviews & Extras" part at the bottom.

>>54561728

>Pretend that you like math

This is the key. You have to bullshit yourself into thinking that it's fun to keep yourself from procrastinating.
>>
>>54563914
The problem isn't that I can't do it, I just sleep through all my classes and it doesn't work out for math
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.