[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /g/ manage files that you want to save for the rest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: wow.jpg (135 KB, 774x1032) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
135 KB, 774x1032
How does /g/ manage files that you want to save for the rest of your life? I kinda assumed that people use various kinds of virtual volumes and keep track of checksum data.

How does virtual disks function long term? like iso/or various encrypted volumes? Ive been trying to find information about fragmented virtual drives but i cant really find any infromation on how you should maintain a virtual volume.
>>
RAID 1 or RAID 5
>>
>>54561653
>he thinks RAID is a backup
>>
>>54561622
I keep 2 backups. I should have a cloud backup in case my house catches fire though or is broken into.
>>
>>54561622
RAID 5 + ZFS + remote backup
>>
>>54562323
This.

The only real backup is an offsite backup.
>>
>>54561622
The only thing I critically need are my passwords. I keep those in a tomb, offsite and an synced copy on-site.

The rest are on-site (HOME server) and could not careless if I lose it. Maybe the music collection would make me cry, but the memes and pictures Idgaf.
>>
>>54561622
If you want something to last a very long time (ie. Your lifetime and possibly your children's), print it. Everything digital is volatile.
>>
>>54562329
Or you could fuck off with the raid and just use the spare HDDs to have another backup copy.
>>
I have 7TB of movies I really woudln't want to lose. it' full dvds obscure stuff from private trackers so not easy to get back. How do I deal with that. :-(
>>
>>54561622
Cloud+RAID array+ LTO tapes.
>>
Honestly, printing stuff in stone is a legit way of preserving things, as history teaches us, but books too can work quite well...

So tell me /g/, how insane would be to print let's say 500gb of data, in binary or some other form, onto a book, and than make a computer of some kind, that would have a scanner of some kinda, that would actually scan information with its scanner?
Could this ever work?

I might print some computer program into a book just for ayy lmao purposes. Disposable income is disposable, right?
>>
>>54562793
You'd have to use something simple that is easy to carve and then you'd have to make the carvings deep into the rock.
Scanners are easy anything that can take a picture will work.
>>
>>54562793
I like this idea...

I also I want a movie made about this... Like, some disaster happens and then the only thing that survives from our time other than random bits and pieces of stuff, is this giant monolithic wall of HEX or something carved into rock in a cave, containing instructions on how to do stuff, etc.

I don't know how the fuck you'd exactly greenrocks this, but fuck it, I'd watch the movie.
>>
>>54562793
Water damage though. You could print on laminate sheets with a laser printer. I think that would make it (relatively) permanent.
>>
>>54561697
OP didnt ask about backups
>>
>>54562631
thats retarded. RAID vastly reduces the chance of data loss in-between backups
>>
>>54561622
Tape
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.