[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: redhat-linux-logo-png-hd-sk[1].png (70 KB, 1600x521) Image search: [Google]
redhat-linux-logo-png-hd-sk[1].png
70 KB, 1600x521
Does anyone here use RHEL on a daily basis?

What do you use it for? Is it worthwhile for anyone to install Cent OS at home?
>>
Red Hat consistently makes poor decisions and it's falling out of favor for Ubuntu in the server market. I try not to use CentOS if I can avoid it.
>>
>>54554723
>Red Hat consistently makes poor decisions
examples?
any examples come to mind?
>>
>>54554708
After switching to Fedora, CentOS is all I use for server stuff.
>>
>>54554708
I have to interact with it fairly regularly throughout the semester. All of our CS servers run some version of red hat.
>>
Yes, I use RHEL has a stable desktop to do my job. Highlights include Firefox, git, vim, IP phone, and IRC.

I wouldn't recommend RHEL or CentOS for a home user. It has poor media support, and many libraries will be out-of-date compared to what the latest desktop applications want.

RHEL and CentOS are enterprise Linux distributions. They are made to run enterprise applications which were intentionally written to run on the EL version in question. Like Oracle Database isn't constantly updated to run on the latest Fedora, they certify on RHEL and don't change it until the next RHEL version comes out.
>>
>>54556559
What would you say to someone who is interested in a career in system and network administration? Should they install CentOS and try to use as a daily driver to get used to working with it? Or would they be better off to look into Debian?
>>
>>54556602

You'll never get a Linux sysadmin job without Red Hat skills.

Get a RHEL developer subscription. Used to to be $99 a year, now it's free.
>>
>>54556602
In my experience, most large organizations value experience with RHEL/CentOS over any other distro. The only exception would be if you're going to some modern hipster startup who uses containers on Ubuntu. You'll actually find Red Hat OpenShift is far more popular than Ubuntu in serious container deployments.

Search for "RHCE exam requirements" or something, and learn to do everything in those. Some people have cheat sheets up. Even if you don't get the (expensive) cert, you can put on your resume "can do everything required for RHCE" and then an employer might want you to pass the exam within 90 days of employment, which you'll do no problems because you already know it all.

For network stuff, look at the non-Cisco-specific parts of the CCNA, like the OSI model, switching, routing, and TCP. The site tcpipguide.com is great. You should be able to explain a MAC table and how a switch works, how subnetting and routing work, and at least the TCP handshake, ACK, and teardown.
>>
>>54554708
I replaced my xfce startbar icon with a rhel logo, that counts right.
>>
>>54556655
>>54556777
Ok. I thought this would be the path to take, and this confirms it.
>>
File: kramer cig drink.gif (2 MB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
kramer cig drink.gif
2 MB, 220x165
>>54556777
>>54556559
>>54556602
It's nice to see some maturity and sincere answers here every once in a while. Cheers.
>>
Why is it paid?
>>
>>54556655
>RHEL developer subscription. Used to to be $99 a year, now it's free.

oh interesting indeed - thanks for posting that
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.