[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me a reason why I should install gentoo? I'm not a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: gentoo-abducted-1600x1200.png (90 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-abducted-1600x1200.png
90 KB, 1600x1200
Give me a reason why I should install gentoo? I'm not a windows babby I have used a dozen different distros but never gentoo. I guess you can call me a Linux enthusiast and I'm curious.

>inb4 make your own decisions
>>
>>54554205
Do you have an entire week of free time and absolutely nothing to do otherwise? Then install it.
>>
>>54554205
If you want maintaining your OS to become your entire life then go ahead.
>>
>>54554205
Gentoo is not practical installing, updating and maintaining it takes unbelievably long time. Use a binary based distro instead
>>
>>54554205
>Give me a reason why I should install gentoo
If you're too dumb to use Arch
>>
>>54554224
>>54554245
>>54554254
What distro are you using? I have used debian for large a portion of the time and wouldn't mind using another.
>>
File: zfwKHEI.png (992 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
zfwKHEI.png
992 KB, 1366x768
>>54554205
Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python ruby gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads
>>
>>54554281
lol at arch users who think their distro requires some esoteric skillset. Arch was my very first experience with linux and anyone with a 90 IQ and too much time on their hands could manage to install and maintain it.
>>
>>54554300
>I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once.
OH MY GOD I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THIS
>>
>>54554327
I'm so sorry you're too fucking dumb to install Arch
t. Archfag
>>
>>54554335
>>54554300
Debian supports true multilib as well
>>
>>54554345
Last time I tried to apt get 32bit libs it nuked my whole system
>>
>>54554354
I'm using it every day
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO
>>
>>54554354

You did something wrong.
>>
>>54554345
I was being sarcastic. I thought it was obvious because of the caps lock and the fact that no one in their right mind would care about that shit.
>>
>>54554391
Or aptitude/apt is shit at resolving dependencies
>>
>>54554398
Umm... Wanting 32 and 64bit is extremely common
>>
>>54554327
>too much time on their hands
Sounds like you had some trouble installing there, friendo
>>
File: 1463000530842.jpg (60 KB, 1000x922) Image search: [Google]
1463000530842.jpg
60 KB, 1000x922
>>54554421
>>
>>54554245
Arch.
>>
>>54554297
im using arch
>>
>>54554245
Gentoo is actually the easiest distro maintenance experience I've had so far. Set up takes a bit longer cause compilation but that's a one time thing
>>
gentoo is not that hard to install. You just open the handbbook in a browser and follow instructions. After a couple hours you'll have an almost fully functional gentoo install (for your first time, when you get used to doing it it takes you less than that). You'll run into some problems with the drivers probably, but you just ask in the #gentoo channel, those people are really helpful.
At the end of it you'll have compiled your own kernel, you'll know some of the stuff that happens in a linux system and it's configuration, you'll know a bit about kernel modules (just a bit), and you'll have a linux distribution that doesn't crash randomly (if it crashes AT ALL, you'll know why it does, rather than just have an unhelpful popup window saying "system error" with an OK button.
>>
>>54554327
>>54554300

How many times are you going to paste these shit pasta faggot
>>
>>54554589
How long does it take to compile your kernel?
>>
>>54554205
>It only takes a half an hour and then just let it compile
>Portage > Ports
>Customize it how ever you'd like, hardened, bleeding edge, stable, vanilla ect.
>Gentoo makes most other distros look like a piece of crap
>>
It's the best operating system ever.
>>
>>54554205
>I'm not a windows babby
tell me why i should help you then
>>
Gentoo takes 5 minutes to install and that's due to slow network. Once you're in chroot you're already using vin and he shell to transfer files while you got stuff building in the background. while you do that it will be done in like an hour for big packages like kde or whatever
>>
>not using slackware
>>
>>54557487
He never said that he doesn't use Slackware. I like Gentoo more than Slackware though. I still tinker with a Slackware vm though.
>>
>>54554756
5 minutes because you only compile the drivers you're going to use, and little more.
Don't us genkernel.
>>
>>54554205
In the end the system will be fast as fuck, basically bloatless, and its fascinating and fun to use it.
>>
>>54558249
you could use make localmodconfig in the livecd to enable all loaded modules on the .config
>>
>>54558355
For what purpose?
>>
>>54554205
Gentoo is for those who find it fun to configure and tinker with their system. Nothing wrong with that really.
If you know how to setup a debian minimal without a perinstalled DE you won't have any trouble installing gentoo.
>>
File: maxresdefault~01.jpg (89 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault~01.jpg
89 KB, 1920x1080
How do you pronounce gentoo?
Is picture related correct?
>>
>>54554205
>inb4 make your own decisions
the search continues
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.