[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To Linux or not to Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: linux-windows.png (174 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
linux-windows.png
174 KB, 1024x768
To Linux or not to Linux
>>
File: ɯǝpınɯ.jpg (10 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
ɯǝpınɯ.jpg
10 KB, 64x64
>>54550787
Why not both?
>>
>>54550795
What is the point of using boats
>>
>>54550787
GNU/LInux
>>
>>54550787
>be a lincuck sperglord
>1991+25
>still no any non-shit-tier desktop environment
>still no any productivity software only screenfetch with muh paedophile image pack
>>
>>54550945
>What is KDE
Now don't tell me you are poorfag or /v/ cuck
>>
>>54550953
>KDE
Every other DE is better than KDE except maybe for xfeces.
>>
File: enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg (55 KB, 625x430) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg
55 KB, 625x430
>>54550787
>>54550795
>>
>>54550945
>Productivity software
Elaborate
>>
>>54551082
they better if you have a cuck hardware
>>
>>54551082
>xfeces
I genuinely kek'd.
>>
File: dTVA9bj.png (37 KB, 692x343) Image search: [Google]
dTVA9bj.png
37 KB, 692x343
>>54551156
>screen tearing
>random crashes
>performance issues

Yeah, must be my cuck hardware
>>
>>54551455
Must be your misconfigured NVIDIA MetaMode configuration you retard.

Here bro, just for you:

{ ForceCompositionPipeline = On }
>>
>>54551527
It just got worse, thanks man.
>>
>>54551634
Maybe you shouldn't have pasted it into /etc/default/grub, idiot.

It belongs to the screen section of your xorg configuration.
>>
>>54551667
I wrote this in my terminal to try it out. When I drag windows there's a motion blur for like 5 seconds now.

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceCompositionPipeline = On }"
>>
>>54550787
Why not windows? Time is precious - life is shourt - long decission making over simple things and investing so much time with fixing and optimizing Linux leads to huge cortisol levels, reduced productivity - and high dose of delusions.

You can get windows 10 enterprise iso now, a fast tip of how to properly disable cortona is to go with a region when install that does not support cortona - Pick Romania currency and time for time being, when you log into windows go to group policy and disable cortona ( it will be automatically shut down because of region and none of its functions will be deployed after initial boot ) - then you can also permanentenly remove one if its permanent services with a simple bat command that you can google.

Then do everything mentioned here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/disconnect-your-organization-from-microsoft

It's easy read everything if you care else just follow along all the group policy settings and apply them.

You should leave edge on but tweak the intrusive settings also leave windows defender on to be fully protected - recent antivirus tests showed that windows defender got really pumped up - it scores high close to dedicated enterprise antivirus software's.
>>
>>54551719
Did you try taking adjusting the MetaMode line that is originally in your xorg-configuration? The string should be prefixed with a name of a configured

Although the motion blur definitely seems strange. At least try adding it proplery to the xorg and restarting it once.
>>
>>54551743
>Why not windows? Time is precious

that's exactly why.

I can't help but waste my time playing games on windows.
>>
>>54551743
>how to properly disable cortona
why, though?

I can understand not using it if you're not the searching type, but removing it altogether?
>>
I would recommend using a unix-like OS. Personally I prefer GNU/Linux, but Mac OS is still an improvement over Windows.

Distro doesn't matter a lot, but my preference is Arch. I recommend the Architect installer, or if using the traditional installer, the Beginner's Guide on the wiki should be enough to get it installed.
>>
>>54551766
I don't even have an xorg config. I am trying out all the DEs out there and KDE is the first one to have performance related issues.
>>
>>54551825
It's not performance-related. I am running KDE Plasma myself on weaker hardware without any screen tearing.

Adding the line I mentioned to my configuration fixed it for me.

Do pacman -S nvidia-settings, use that tool to create a proper configuration for your setup.

Then write it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf. Adjust the MetaMode option in the Screen section to something like this:

Option         "metamodes" "... nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceCompositionPipeline = On }"

And restart your X session. If something goes wrong you can always remove that file. It should really work then.
>>
>>54551862
Creating that nvidia config file made the graphic run smoother for whatever reasons, including the dragging lag. I'm starting to believe it's intended. Thanks for the help anyways.

It literally looks like this whenever I drag any window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hNwHdzRKXE
>>
File: Screenshot_20160515_020829.png (60 KB, 1164x719) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160515_020829.png
60 KB, 1164x719
>>54552235
No that's not intended...

Did you try playing around with the Compositor settings in the "Display configuration" in System Settings? Please try to do so.

Adjust rendering backend to OpenGL 3.1 etc, maybe you'll find something that works.

My settings are attached.
>>
>>54552267
Tried out every combination in there and XRender works.
>>
>>54552337
That indicates driver issues. Are you sure that you have the nvidia driver (up-to-date) installed?

XRender doesn't use your GPU drivers to render stuff on the screen, so you are basically rendering everything on your CPU now.
>>
>>54552357
I play games like Dota 2 and CS:GO, so I don't think so.

I'll just try reinstalling the whole nvidia stuff.
>>
File: 1452970519347.gif (2 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1452970519347.gif
2 MB, 300x169
>>54551743
0.50$ have been transfered to you account for this high quality shillpost
>>
Windows if you have actual work to do or just want to enjoy your self.

Linux if you want to hack some open source or free software.
>>
>>54552357
Holy macaroni, it turned out that I had the nvidia drivers installed but my computer wasn't using them because I didn't configure anything. Thanks anon.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.