[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not Trollin'. Is TempleOS an impressive accomplishment?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: download.jpg (3 KB, 96x96) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3 KB, 96x96
The guy may be crazy but he's objectively brilliant.

> In an elementary school gifted program, he started using an Apple II; in the early 1980s, he learned assembly language on a Commodore 64, then continued programming throughout high school. Then he enrolled at Arizona State University, where he earned his bachelor’s degree, then a master’s in electrical engineering in 1994.

and in his own words:

>I was a professional operating system developer in 1990 at age 20, working in VAX assembly language on Ticketmaster's operating system.

>For TempleOS, wrote my own compiler/assembler. I don't need to suck GNU's dick. The difference between amateur operating systems and professional is compilers.

What are your thoughts /g/? Is the guy freakin brilliant or what?

Here are some other things in his own words.

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1m0xxx/templeos_new_64bit_operating_system/

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1aqdxn/temple_operating_system_v100_released/
>>
One of Technology's top men, shame he's full schizo.
>>
>>54539922
I'm impressed at how fast TempleOS boots, actually.
>>
>>54539956
Indeed. I'm taking a look at HolyC for the first time.

http://www.templeos.org/Wb/Doc/HolyC.html
>>
>>54540002
>>54539999
>>54539956
I'm new to CS. Can you guys break it down technically what he accomplished?

Looks like he built his own programming language to build TempleOS. How would you describe this programming language and OS from a technical standpoint? I want to understand what he accomplished here.
>>
>>54539922
he's fuckin amazing but >schizo
>>
>>54540032
Man wrote his own OS, dialect of C, compiler, assembler all by himself despite being afflicted with a terrible mental disorder.

It's not very usable, but impressive.
>>
>>54540051
>despite
>>
Idiots on reddit were harassing him.

I like this comment by him:
>Do you fucken know what a compiler is? I wrote one.
>>
"As far as I'm can discern, a lot of graduate thesis projects in computer science are a lot less involved than your work, and I hope some day you're given due credit for it."
>>
>>54539922
>those comments on reddit
why are redditors so fucking retarded?
>oh no he said le bad word!
>>
>>54540096
i crack up when he starts talking about retard niggers
>>
He has a quiz on his website: http://www.templeos.org/Wb/Demo/Lectures/64BitAsmQuiz.html
>>
>>54539922
>Is TempleOS an impressive accomplishment?

I mean, sure, like a huge mural or other work of art.

It has little practical use, though, and of course is lightyears behind even the open-source operating systems that are its contemporaries.

It's impressive one person was able to dedicate himself to such a task and see it through, but I don't think it's really "worth" anything except a monument to that effort.

If it were better documented, a little less schizophrenic in its design, I would admit its value as a teaching tool and inspiration for future designers and students. As is, it's an inelegant spaghetti mess that no one but the original creator can even read through and understand.
>>
>>54540235
>It has little practical use

Sure his work is theoretical but since when does intellectual work need to be applicable?
>>
Imagine being dyslexic, then writing >pic related. Sure it's no Shakespeare, but it's pretty good and still a lot of effort.
>>
>>54540285
His work isn't "theoretical", there's no novel CS or CE concepts implemented in HolyC or TempleOS. Quite the opposite, it ignores plenty of advances in algorithm design and computer architecture.

Intellectual, sure, but there's no greater conceptual novelty or scientific insight than a typical student project -- just insane, masturbatory dedication.

I have nothing against art for art's sake, or projects for self-fulfillment, but TempleOS isn't improving computer use or computer education for anyone (except Terry, I guess). With this amount of effort and skill he could have made any number of far more useful projects.
>>
>>54540208
>64bit asm quiz
>just realized that temple OS is a 64bit OS
>GNU Hurd is still 32bit only
Debian/TempleOS when?
>>
>>54540362
>contaminating temple os with GNU Crap
Are you Satan?
>>
>redddit URL
fuck off
>>
File: templeOS.png (84 KB, 876x534) Image search: [Google]
templeOS.png
84 KB, 876x534
Anyone know how to run TempleOS in virtualbox? It just gives me this when I try to boot
>>
>>54540360
HolyC is freaking impressive though. It has a REPL, it's JIT compiled and you can output the compiled assembly right out to the REPL terminal. The default shell is HolyC too. It could be worthwhile to only port HolyC to other platforms.
>>
>>54540362
>>54540384
BusyBox/TempleOS?

Gotta keep the box busy, idle cpu cycles are the devil's workstation!
>>
>>54540430
Set the processor to fucking 64bit. You run a 64bit OS right? fuck.
>>
Can we summon Terry ?
>>
>>54540434
>It could be worthwhile to only port HolyC to other platforms.
this is what /g/ should be spending its time on instead of that stupidass SatanOS project
>>
>>54540454
>this is what /g/ should be spending its time on instead of that stupidass SatanOS project
Nice try, Terry.
>>
What resources can I use to learn to build my own OS or compiler? I would like to do a small scale project just to learn. I'll probably take a course in OS.
>>
>>54540448
>implying Terry isn't the one creating all these TempleOS threads
fuck off CIA nigger
>>
>>54540467
>Implying Terry would like to see his HolyC ported to other platforms
He would be indifferent at best.
>>
>>54540496
But he'd like the idea better than SatanOS.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vakWMNA1oWc

LINUX

B T FO
T
F
O
>>
My operating system requires a 2GHz multicored 64-bit machine. It needs a minimum of 512 Meg, preferably more. It is not for pathetic hardware.
The 100,000 line of code limit is just for the human brain to be happy and not confused. If you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. You have mastery of the entire thing and morale is much higher. Press <F1> and look around. Soon you will see the whole thing can be mastered.
>>
>>54540504
SatanOS is a fucking stupid name. They could bring back SparrowOS. Also:
>Project Plans:
> Replace 'Holy C' with something less stupid
Isn't most of the OS written in HolyC? HolyC is the main point of this OS, maybe they could rename this too to SparrowC too.
Rip out the oracle and religious stuff and it's good to go.
>>
>>54540430
I vaguely remember him saying that he recommends VMware 4.0.4.
>>
>>54539922
He's a genius and completely mad at the same time.

He's brilliant and hilariously crazy.

That's why we love him.
>>
>>54539922
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPrQUlneVo

HE IS ONLINE LIVE
>>
File: satanist.jpg (13 KB, 443x443) Image search: [Google]
satanist.jpg
13 KB, 443x443
>>54540454
>>54540504
>SatanOS
[anon: ~/Documents/git/SatanOS] master [8d,18h,21m] → 
$ git log --oneline
a09021a Merge pull request #2 from Jayses/dev
895552b Removed obsolete files
c70ae50 Forgot to include the OS in the ISO
ed9f098 Merge pull request #1 from Jayses/dev
2ef2dd4 Fixed decompile script
b3c06da Accidentally moved Readme
8d7b0e8 Structure change
f50260d Changed structure
ce34708 Update README.md
f0d743f Update README.md
2357f6e Update README.md
bb1b8a4 Update README.md
43cf4c4 SatanOS
9eaa86c Initial commit
>>
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2NDIwOTk4NjY3.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2NDIwOTk4NjY3.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
As already said, Terry is a very intelligent guy. His accomplishments are impressive, but I believe any hardworking average intelligence guy could do what he did if they really put their mind to it.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself when I say that, but he also did work on a prototype 3D printer before they became huge, he basically predicted they would be the next big thing, and also has done a lot of other stuff.
>>
File: a.jpg (9 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
9 KB, 200x200
>>54540611
https://github.com/LandonPowell/FizzBuzzi
>>
File: Untitled.png (135 KB, 1259x702) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
135 KB, 1259x702
fucking sjw cuck infested botnet
>>
>>54540611
Well, that went well.
>>
>>54540543
>Rip out the oracle and religious stuff and it's good to go.
And maybe not put everything in level 0
>>
>>54540657
There is only One God. So there shall be only One Level.
>>
>>54540657
Yeah, I just mapped out how I would start. I'm pretty sure one needed to rewrite the whole thing from scratch to rip out the level 0 stuff. Or you add networing and sell it as a SparrowC unikernel without privilege separation :^).
>>
>>54539922
that guy really knows how to use ad hominem, wow
>>
>>54540002
Wow. So, if I'm getting the right vibes here, HolyC is basically a big pack of very good syntactic sugar on top of C. I'd almost got converted after reading this (ALMOST, *tips*)

I mean, almost all of those improvements are very natural, as in you would expect to be able to do something like that in natural language or mathematics, but C doesn't allow it. The simplest example is
* Allows "5<i<j+1<20" instead of "5<i && i<j+1 && j+1<20".

if (13<=age<20)
"Teen-ager";

Almost every beginning programmer thinks he can do this, but almost no language allows it. (Why, actually? Is there a good reason for not doing this? Is this because the equivalent expression is easy to find?)

In conclusion, although TempleOS and HolyC are not very practical for various reasons, I think that they contain points that can be valuable for other languages or programmers or that it is at least food for thought. So, I'd say that Terry is a genius programmer, despite being a schizo.
>>
>>54540797
>Almost every beginning programmer thinks he can do this, but almost no language allows it. (Why, actually? Is there a good reason for not doing this? Is this because the equivalent expression is easy to find?)
It breaks how parsing works for all other operators. a+b-c means (a+b)-c. Actually for any left-to-right class same precedence binary operators a <op1> b <op2> c means (a <op1> b) <op2> c. For logical operators it would mean that a<b<c is equivalent to (a<b)<c which doesn't really make sense, since you compare a bool to some number.

TL;DR: it would require that you handle comparison operators syntactically differently to any other operators. You want to avoid special snowflakes in language design, too much idiotic corner cases.
>>
>>54540051
>despite
Being Schizo probably makes him more motivated, seeing as he think he is doing God's work.

He livestreams many times a week still showing his work.

He is honestly a god-tier programmer.
>>
>>54540877
Ah, I see. Since a normal language would consider the operators seperately, i.e. (i<j)<k, it wouldn't work. However, if you would consider #0<#1<...<#n a multi value operator unto itself, this is no problem. (Is this what HolyC does?) And of course this is an example of a "special snowflake" in language design, for which you could argue that having it for this specific usecase is overkill. However, it would perhaps be interesting to have an operator, defined by some intermediate delimiters in syntax, as a general syntax. e.g.,

list = 1,2,3,4,5,6;

Although, now that I think about it, just having ',' and doing stuff like Operator(a,b,c,d) (e.g. <(1,2,3)) is just as expressive. (I'm ignoring the usage of <= here)

So, the more that I think about it, this is one helluva hack. I'd say that Terry is a rare case of a successful hacker that has no interest in networking or security at all.

>>54540995
True, although not being schizo would have allowed him to communicate with others better, thereby sharing more knowledges (in both ways). It's a double edged blade, like with (high functioning) autism.
>>
>>54541030
>not being schizo would have allowed him to communicate with others better

if he were sane enough to listen to others, templeOS probably never would have happened and he'd be working for Amazon or some shit, thanks to others' advice

say what you will about mental illness, but templeOS (like many beautiful things) would not exist without it.
>>
>>54541067
>templeOS (like many beautiful things) would not exist without it.
I agree, but I think that Terry would have been able to show his genius differently. However, due to him being less excentric, fewer people would notice it. So, yes, I understand why you can consider that Terry being schizo is a good thing. Also, his youtube comments are hilarious.
>>
>>54541030
>if you would consider #0<#1<...<#n a multi value operator unto itself, this is no problem.
Now what if other kind of operators are between?
It also needs to be on a higher precedence than other operators so a<b+c<d becomes a<(b+c)<d instead of (a<b)+(c<d). It could work.
>>
>>54541165
fuck, I mean lower precedence
>>
>>54541092
>his youtube comments are hilarious

I had said that on fucking HN once and my comment was downvoted/vanished by political correct shitlords I guess.

Proggit became quite the middle ground between /g/ and HN I think..
>>
>>54541165
That's why you "argue" for the most specific case.

If you are trying to make a condition of ( a < b ) be the case for a return to main you wouldn't make the argument validate some ambiguous case. You'd generate values for a and compare them to b. Anything else is monkey tier coding and not the topic of discussion.
>>
>>54541495
>middle ground between /g/ and HN I think..
That's the whole universe.
>>
It's genius, but it's the insane, unuseful kind of genius.
>>
>>54539922
>Is TempleOS an impressive accomplishment?
no, unless the metric is how gay and jewish a person can be, then yeah, he's reached pretty impressive levels of both of those attributes
>>
>>54540646
That's disgusting. He should be locked in a mental institute. He's clearly absolutely out of his mind and dangerous both to himself and everyone around him.
>>
>>54541600
If I was okay with risking my drives right now ( I know I could unplug them but meh ) I would definitely use TempleOS. I would probably edit some identities to take the holy jargon out and maybe attempt to name it more accordingly towards a whole cs deal buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, honestly, the whole deal is really just kind of intimidating. I don't even know why. I feel like I'd learn so much, maybe too much, and Terry's whole schtick would make more sense than it already does. And that's terrifying.
>>
>>54541757
No, he's a genius.
>>
>>54541757
What part of it comes off as dangerous? Cause he typed out the words "kill" and "nigger" on twitter?

I've heard worse walking home from school. I've seen worse hanging out at an arcade where a bunch of sjws were being lead to action by black cultural vendettas. I wish we could get the whole story to this CIA nigger deal because I know some people that have funny stories with running constants like Terry and cia nigger but can see why they might sound a little freaky. Though his deal, I'm not sure I would doubt that the cia might attempting to keep tabs on someone that managed to create an entire operating system from scratch. I can imagine their discretion in the matter if he were to canonize the event of accidentally killing someone into his dialectic memoir. That he would hold himself responsible for it, as a sensible person, would be the goal. That he would accept treatment as it is managed would be the provisional help he'd seek after such a trauma, especially since government agencies are the only agencies in the world that can kill with authority and not have the human response of "remorse". It's not difficult but you know what isn't either? Accusing someone of having some ill gotten gain as an attempt to save face instead of actually making a real attempt at understanding rather than simply copy pasting every other post and every other sentiment that comes through here. It's like you never had a dad to spend time with.
>>
>>54540235
No practical use? Lol
In some instances his OS manages to be faster than Linux
>>
File: 20160514_134530.png (525 KB, 1440x1643) Image search: [Google]
20160514_134530.png
525 KB, 1440x1643
>>54539922
He's a nice dude
>>
>>54542047
You can't do shit with it, so it better be faster at the small handful of things it can actually do.
>>
>>54542117
he's completely right though
>>
Right now, on his livestream, he's using his OS to ask God if dark matter monsters exist.

Where has this wonderful man been all my life.
>>
>>54542117
Nobody deserves money, that's why we should abolish all welfare and social programs so charity programs can replace it.
>>
>>54542117

that's what i love about the bible. You can literally interpret anything from it.

You can even interpret that it should be ignored (see: gay christians)
>>
>>54542142
this. welfare destroyed charity and the money goes to welfare queens instead of people who actually need it
>>
>>54542132
>>54542142
>2017-1
>still believing that capitalism is the efficient way to live as a species
You muricans make me laugh tbqh
>>
I just checked it TempleOS is fucking insane but is a great product form a schizophrenic

(And who knows maybe he is right and this is god temple...)
>>
>>54542138
link?
>>
>>54542206
>>54542186
>>
File: terryisbest.jpg (33 KB, 587x195) Image search: [Google]
terryisbest.jpg
33 KB, 587x195
>>
Does Terry have a job or anything like that? Or is he on the dole for being a schizo?
>>
>>54542177
>it will work this time, I swear
>>
File: 1458157274025.png (280 KB, 3388x3638) Image search: [Google]
1458157274025.png
280 KB, 3388x3638
How can bulgarians even compete with their dog spinning, when we have this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azkag366_gE
>>
>>54542216

What the fuck is this maniac doing
>>
>>54542235
Shieeet I dun goofed. Wrong board.
>>
>>54542227
>that wasn't REALLY communism!
>neither was every other time it's been practiced!
>>
File: BASED.jpg (248 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
BASED.jpg
248 KB, 1366x768
>>
>>54542235
Wow, what subhuman scum.
>>
>>54542264
>>54542235
>slavs
>>
>>54542252
Communism is so broken nobody has been able to get it implemented properly once, and people still support. Communism sounds like a nice idea, but we need inequality. The poor deserve shittier working conditions and the rich deserve to be treated better. If the poor worked harder, they'll get rich too. It's a just world.
>>
More impressive hobby OSes that implement proper graphical shells and TCP/IP stacks and so on exist

His OS is extremely simple and doesn't do anything impressive

A compiler isn't that hard to do either; a CS grad from any respectable university should be able to code one given the amount of time Terry has had
>>
File: 123123125125.jpg (17 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
123123125125.jpg
17 KB, 413x395
>>54542262

>when I was about age seven my brother Danny got me high on gas fumes and we sucked each other's dicks
>At about age five, Jay Weinrick and I touched dicks to each other's assholes
>>
>>54540235
>CIA nigger detected
>>
>>54542293
You're just jealous
>>
>>54542286
>Communism sounds like a nice idea
it sounds terrible even if it worked
>>
>>54542286
>the beatings will continue until morale improves
>>
>>54542316
>it sounds terrible even if it worked

It would be excellent if it worked.

We would just use VR to recreate pain and obstacles.
>>
Did he actually kill someone or does he just think he did?
>>
File: bnia.jpg (327 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bnia.jpg
327 KB, 1920x1080
how the hell can he code like this?
>>
>>54542391
Most likely he thought he did, I'm surprised he isn't getting a federal investigation for that Twitter post.
>>
pure autism
>>
>>54542459
Not autism, schizophrenia
>>
>>54542393
It's not that hard to follow other than annoying variable names. I've seen a lot worse from other CS students who thought they were doing well.
>>
>>54541757
Sup reddit.
>>
>>54540995

>god-tier programmer

Underbreaded toast.
>>
>>54540411
you got released from jail?
>>
>>54542534
this
underated post
>>
terry davis runs ubuntu. what more do you need to know what gnu+linux distro you should be running? i mean honestly.
>>
File: 1458850714567.jpg (155 KB, 2000x902) Image search: [Google]
1458850714567.jpg
155 KB, 2000x902
>>54540690
literally this
>>
>>54542227
>>54542252
>>54542316
>implying the good alternative to capitalism would be communism
I'm not even surprised you uneducated american scum think like this.

>durrrrr land of duh free
You did good in defending capitalism today, you may reward yourselves by buying new stuff.
>>
>>54543088
>let's implement communism lite and wonder why everything turns to shit
>>
>>54543152
>any alternative to capitalism is communism
As I said dear, you can stop the bad thoughts that make a boo-boo to your head if you go to the nearest mall and spend a couple thousands of proud american dollars.
>>
>>54543355
as much as you wish to deny it, capitalism is one end of the spectrum and communism is the other, that's why I said communism lite. but please tell us all about your special snowflake political system
>>
>>54543389
>What is technocracy
>What is anarchy

Inb4 comments on anarchy being teen-tier: go look at any social insect.
Any step in the automation of resources distribution in order to maximize efficiency, health and happiness is a right step.
Working 7-23, 6 days a week so you can buy a 100000€ car and win the dick showoff contest is quite possibly the most stupid political system we could be implementing.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160514-161732.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160514-161732.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Kek
>>
>>54543520
>technocracy
it could be either communism or capitalism, depending on the people in power
>What is anarchy
there's anarcho-capitalism and anarcho-communism. the former is the default system when the communities start to form and and allows them to grow as fast as possible with minimal resources and without yet developed social constructs, the latter is pure delusion
>>
>>54542262
He sounds like Doc Manhattan, the way he narrates his life.
>>
>>54539922
Can someone put into perspective what he did means?

I know everyday programmers don't create their own programming languages to build an OS.

Where does this OS site in terms of other OSes if you were to do comparisons?

What makes it unique or more efficient than existing OSes?

On a scale of talent, what kind of people usually do what he did?

If he weren't so insane I could see him as a university professor doing operating systems research or some big wig in a software company.
>>
>>54543088
why do you call me an American btw? I'm from a country that experienced non-capitalist political systems first hand
>>
>it could be either communism or capitalism
nope, because neither is a proper collection of optimization techniques that one can rigorously apply.
The former could be such a system, but ends up being a simple leveling of the social classes (fuck Marx), the latter is a highly scaled version of the Hunger Games tbqh (survival of the fittest, sure, but general staleness in progress is bound to happen soon as all everything is valued for the money it can generate).

>anarcho-capitalism
the definition you gave is called free market and eventually degenerates into America, definetely not anarchy.

>pure delusion
Hot opinions fampai
>>
>>54543620
>>54543808
>>
File: BasedAsFuck.png (16 KB, 797x87) Image search: [Google]
BasedAsFuck.png
16 KB, 797x87
>>54539922
He is an absolute madman
>>
>>54542117
The concept of charity runs deep in Christianity and people with serious financial trouble would often be propped up by the community. This was done on a personal basis so your ability to buy booze and smokes with other people's money was pretty limited.

With modern welfare, taxpayers give their money to nameless nignogs who blow it all on Cheetos and cigarettes. Respectable blacks that realize the degeneracy and try to stop are called Uncle Tom. Taxpayers don't notice because they're stupid.

Long story short; Terry is right.
>>
>>54539922
Why are you on this guy's dick so hard? However brilliant he may be, he's a fucking nut that hasn't contributed to the world or his community in any meaningful way.
>>
Davis was born December 1969 and has been diagnosed with schizophrenia since the mid-1990s.
>>
>>54540096
Someone should tell him to post here, this place fits his schizo personality way way better than leddit. Plus we make fun of atheist fedoras
>>
>>54543934
This place is leddit though. He used to post on /tech/ and /templeos/ but quickly realized he need not waste time with autists.
>>
>>54544116
>tfw even schizophrenics think there's something wrong with 4chan
>>
>>54543898
it doesn't make him any less awesome
>>
>>54544164
>tfw explaining to normies why I come back to our glorious, hateful motherland everyday
They will never know
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-14-08-29-48.png (184 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-14-08-29-48.png
184 KB, 540x960
I don't know the significance of this man, and don't know much about technology, but this dude is hilarious.
>>
>>54544248
he's a fucking religious nut!
he believes templeos allows its users to communicate directly with god. IE: HIM
>>
>>54539922
it's an astonishing achievement for one person.

More valuable as a work of art than as anything else though imho. It's hard to see a practical use for it.
>>
>>54542117
Terry doesn't use twitter you kike thats a troll account
>>
>>54544605
Not sure if you are baiting, but it's not. You can see him use it on his stream.
>>
>>54542223
He wrote an operating system for ticketmaster a while back and probably made a killing. From what I can tell he looks like he lives a frugal life style so probably living off of a small fortune for a while.

All mearly speculation of course
>>
>>54544796
No I think he gets Autismbux
>>
>>54544500
>OS literally allows you to talk to God
>no practical use
Get out of my Terry thread you fucking atheist...
>>
>>54544483
He believes that god speaks in random events. He'll open a book to a random page and drop his finger on a random word and build sentences like that. Pretty much templeos cuts down on the manual steps of doing that for him. Whats funny is templeos has a really good random number generator because of it.
>>
He's good but not useful
Making an OS on your own is very impressive, though.
>>
>>54539922
by non engineer standards yes
most of us program OS as homework in our third year of EC engineering
>>
>>54545207

Do you implement everything yourself like Terry? Like compiler, assembler, executable formats, filesys, etc. or do you reimplement existing stuff? Also do you bother with implementing graphics?
>>
>>54545207
>>54545332
*Design and implement I mean
>>
>>54545207
You know that's bullshit, who are you trying to impress. Did you program a scheduler? No. Did you learned about different schedulers? Probably yes.
Post your homeworks if you dare.
>>
>>54545344
Indeed. You pretty much have got to be a madman to make an OS "from scratch", all alone these days. Fortunately, Terry is a madman.
>>
>>54543556
If you look at his bookmarks, he has 5 physics girl bookmarks. In that livestream, he watches an entire video of hers and also puts the video hash into his bible verse program to talk to God about it. He really loves physics girl and isn't ashamed of it at all and I respect him for that
>>
This guy's alright.
>>
File: CIA-Nigger.png (27 KB, 820x200) Image search: [Google]
CIA-Nigger.png
27 KB, 820x200
I just posted this on his newest video. Can't wait to see if he responds or not.
>>
>>54545447
top fucking kek, can you subscribe to a yt comment thread?
>>
>>54545454
>>
>I made God's temple.

Find ways to beautifully reduce line count, not doing ugly hacks. Or otherwise improving it. It's just you nigger psychologist, sadly.

God says...

catastrophe husband guilty ohh_thank_you that's_no_fun bad_ol_puddytat Zap Shalom Bam whoo_whoo pwned Jesus I_don't_care downer failure_to_communicate no_more Tomorrow Russia BRB ehheh_thats_all_folks come_and_get_me
This guy's whack, I love it.
>>
>>54542754
this
underated post
>>
>>54545469
idk but this is the link to said video.

>>
>>54544866
schizobux
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hzz2XSAaI#t=320

>Developer for majority of his life
>Still looks at the keyboard when typing
>>
is it Stallman aproved?
>>
>>54539922
>no paging
>FAT file system (no superior inode based filesystem)
>drops to protected mode (aka not 64-bit)
>no TCP/IP stack
>holyC is basically C++ for OSes (http://wiki.osdev.org/C%2B%2B_Bare_Bones#Writing_a_kernel_in_C.2B.2B)
>>
>Look Fucken nigger, God exists and is perfectly just.

The guy's hilarious.
>>
File: scoreoneforthegoodguys.png (105 KB, 891x318) Image search: [Google]
scoreoneforthegoodguys.png
105 KB, 891x318
kek
>>
>>54540096
Fucking MIT niggers
>>
>>54546335
If he weren't insane he could teach a compilers class at MIT
>>
>>54542293
Post a link to your os or compiler
>>
>>54546586
I don't need to write a whole OS to speak to God, I'd just do
alias god_says='sort -R --random-source=/dev/urandom /usr/share/dict/words | head -n 20 | tr "\n" " "; echo ""'
>>
>>54546586
>thinking something people do in college is impressive

http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ifi/INF3151/index-eng.html
>>
>>54546083
>No paging.
That's fucking awesome you nigger. The os doesn't lack multitasking.
>>
>>54547117
>just parroting what terry says without actually understanding the implications
No paging sucks, not because of multitasking, but because you miss out on having a virtual address space for all your processes.
>>
>>54547138
It's a matter of trade offs, because it is widely used doesn't mean that there is no room of other methods. Paging is not perfect.
>>
>>54543556
>an entire bookmark folder for YouTubeNonPeople.

Kek. Based Terry.
>>
>>54547163
>other methods
Why the hell would you make an OS for x86 architecture if you plan do not take advantage of the actual architecture?

That's like buying the most expensive GPU you can find and then boast about your font-rendering on /g/

There is no excuse for not implementing virtual memory support in this day and age (no, mapping everything 1:1 is not virtual memory), Terry is excused because he is schizophrenic. You are not excuse, you're just dumb as fuck.
>>
>>54541030
Python handles it resonably. You can chain together any number of operators. If you want to force it to be parsed a certain way, you can use parenthesis, which you really should be using for clarity anyway.
e.g.
2 < 3 is 3 returns True
(2 < 3) is 3 returns False, because (2 < 3) evaluates to False.
>>
File: 1455589696766.jpg (53 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
1455589696766.jpg
53 KB, 500x335
>mfw I pretend I am schizo to call people niggers without any repercussions
>>
File: Bld52ibIUAANOcb.png (216 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
Bld52ibIUAANOcb.png
216 KB, 375x375
>>54547292

>mfw I'm such a cuck I can't imagine a world where people could call "people" niggers without repercussions unless they were mentally ill.
>>
>>54546083
He has his own filesystem called redsea and doesn't use vitual memory space because he wants the feel of a commodore64 like enviornment where you could poke memory
>>
File: 1453343642630.jpg (122 KB, 561x702) Image search: [Google]
1453343642630.jpg
122 KB, 561x702
>>54546913

This isn't remotely on the level of Terrys operating system. You're probably going to say something like lel trolled hehe I was only pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>54547216
Why do you have such an obsession about something that already exists and you don't want anyone to even think about making something better? I honestly can't understand your logic.

If you can make a method that has about the same/or better advantages than virtual memory as it used on all modern oses right now then screw virtual memory, who gives a fuck.

I never said he created something perfect, I said that it was awesome. He could just go with paging...
>>
>>54547292
>without repercussions
he gets hundreds of downvotes any time he posts on reddit
>>
>>54546817
But you don't have Terrys superior rng. He said he used to do that but wanted a better rng
>>
>>54547367

>posts on reddit

So he's retarded and schizophrenic?
>>
>>54547367
They might even report him to the moderators! Terrible.
>>
>It must be perfect, so I promise the opposite of backward compatibility. I will never allow any undesirable defect to persist, no matter who it's screws.
God amongst men.
>>
>>54547356
>If you can make a method that has about the same/or better advantages than virtual memory
It does not.

The advantage of paging, aside from "infinite virtual memory", is to assign processes an arbitrarily-located private working set.

From this follows segmentation, sandboxing, selective suspend, and a number of other capabilities, necessary for operating a modern OS in a modern use case, that TempleOS can literally never emulate.
>>
>>54547403
point is, they dislike him so much for saying nigger that they go to his dozens of other posts that say nothing offensive at all and downvote him
>>
>>54540430
if you have Hyper-V enabled it prevents virtualbox from running 64-bit vms
>>
>>54545447
should have just called yourself a half nigger, dumbass.
>>
>>54547367
>he gets hundreds of downvotes any time he posts on reddit
That's because he's not an atheist.
>>
>>54547465
redditors are retarded nigger loving sjws, what's your point? any reasonable human being hates niggers.
>>
>>54547528

Where's the downboat button? I'm new, no flame pls.
>>
File: 1461917568817.jpg (48 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
1461917568817.jpg
48 KB, 500x378
>>54547528
>any reasonable human being hates niggers
>>
>>54547639

Hello, Jerome.
>>
File: 8liw3txV.jpg (24 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
8liw3txV.jpg
24 KB, 512x512
>>54540506
Kinda sounds like Bill Nye.
>>
>>54547367
Because he says curse words and Reddit is so hiveminded. Average Redditors don't possess the intelligence to understand his work or the significance of it. Also, most of them dislike Christians
>>
>>54540506
who /user developer/ here?
>>
>>54547935
Haven't heard this term. Curious what is it
>>
>>54547935
What the fuck is a "user developer"?
>>
File: 1462915064237.jpg (795 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1462915064237.jpg
795 KB, 2448x3264
>tfw indipherentiated schizo
>tfw 125-130 IQ
>tfw self learned to code in java and C#
>tfw going to school
>tfw medicated since I was 15 year old
>tfw I think I'm normal

can I be someone famous?
>>
>>54547992
I wanna see a picture of the pigbeast
>>
>>54547955
>>54547968
watch the video cia niggers
>>
>>54547684
Hello, Bubba.
>>
>>54548425
Tell my sister I said hay
>>
>>54546817
stunting discredit reproves tobogganed fingerprint's ad's cruelties scheduler imitate agitate innumerable wackiest Osbert Bangladesh load interconnections narrated metropolis Nigel packet
>>
>>54543088
Just like to say that America has never experienced capitalism.. Only shit capitalism. And sadly, thanks to the power hungry bankers, we will never experience true Capitalism.

Socialism/communism is chaos, uneducated rebel teens will likely get triggered by this but its the truth. Past and present situations prove this.

Heck, even Richard Stallman says capitalism is important (SJW cucks wont even mention this)
>>
>>54545447
>joining a intelligent branch
>>
File: 1461800437191.jpg (7 KB, 167x144) Image search: [Google]
1461800437191.jpg
7 KB, 167x144
>he just uses ubuntu now
>>
File: 1463243271807.jpg (46 KB, 621x646) Image search: [Google]
1463243271807.jpg
46 KB, 621x646
>>54549363
This
Increased regulations just screw everything up
Look at the eu to see how protectionism/lack of competition is bad for economic growth
West Germany and pre-Great War Great Britain are the best of examples of why laissez-faire is great for the economy
Switzerland today has one of the most deregulated economies and is highly prosperous
Capitalism is great and SJW cucks bitch about it while enjoying the benefits of it
>>
>>54539956
He would never have made such a bitchin' OS if he wasn't though.

He'd still be plugging away at Ticketmaster and / or developing satellite control systems and shit like he used to do.
>>
>>54550179
>implying Ubuntu isn't God's second favorite OS
burn in hell dumb Archfag
>>
>>54540235
>It has little practical use
He created it as a modern version of the C64, where it would be easy to access the whole system and write programs.

As he says many MANY times, TempleOS was designed to be suitable for kids.
>>
>>54540440
Why contaminate yourself with a POSIX-like shell when you have a HolyC shell built in?

Write your POSIX commands in HolyC, if you really need them.
>>
>>54540529
Nobody responds to Terry?

If this is you Terry, please mention us. I'd like to see you take the fake programmers on /g/ on.

It's been long enough that I think you should make a new tour of the OS.
>>
lots of people make OSes. for an example, go to #osdev ar irc.freenode.net ...
>>
File: 1438785232074.png (266 KB, 313x396) Image search: [Google]
1438785232074.png
266 KB, 313x396
>>54543621
>reading it Manhattans voice while Pruit Igoe is playing in the bacground

It doesn't get much better than this.
>>
Sure it's an impressive accomplishment, but remember this guy sits in his mother's basement all day on disability and has nothing to do but make his OS.

The greatest thing about TempleOS is there is no memory protection. All code in the system runs at ring 0, the highest privilege level, meaning that a stray pointer write could easily crash the entire system. This is a very deliberate design choice as Terry likes to hack around and arbitrarily copy shit from RAM to ROM or whatever.

You can also do this in a MMIX simulator (The Art of Programming MIX/MMIX), in fact you can build an entire userland in a VM, running MMIX and have total complete access to the CPU/Memory/Kernel/Userland to on the fly edit whatever assembly code you wanted to alter the system. It's a great way to learn algorithm analysis if anybody's interested.
>>
>>54541640
>jewish
Terry's a confirmed Christian you doofus.
>>
>>54541776
>I would probably edit some identities to take the holy jargon out
Why? What's the point? He put all that stuff in there to show you the capabilities of his system, you can get right in there and start seeing how it all works.

Cue the person who posts a context-free code snippet from TempleOS that makes little sense.

CIA niggers.
>>
>>54547353
>This isn't remotely on the level of Terrys operating system.
You're right, this course actually implements proper paging and full 64-bit support.
>>
>>54547346
>He has his own filesystem
It's a FAT you idiot.

>>54547346
>use vitual memory space because he wants the feel of a commodore64 like enviornment where you could poke memory
You can still access physical memory in kernel space. So there is literally no reason to not implement virtual memory.
>>
>>54542128
>You can't do shit with it
It's a modern C64, not a modern 1970's mainframe (Linux) or VAX (Windows).

So while it doesn't have networking, this isn't a problem.

Can't you think of any uses for a computer without Internet access?
>>
>>54540032
Man single handedly wrote an entire Operating system from scratch. Interfacing with USB, interfacing with the system, Interfacing with graphics, memory, etc., you name it is all part of this.

for the most part (if not totally), he's using hand made tools - hand made assembler\dissassembler\compilers,etc., Most OSes, even hand made ones normally use one of your big 3 Compiler suites (MS,LLVM\CLANG,GCC) or if in assembly only, some use NASM\FASM

The operating system combines the best (arguable) of old computing with new computing, by having a 64bit Ring-0 System (Think of your PC as the wild west, no shitty layers of OS to get in your way of overwriting memory *It's for protection, but this OS isn't focused on this*) with Multithreading and Multitasking

His programming language, while i haven't studied it, seems quite interesting. one thing that i did remember was that code can have embedded media - so if a game used a picture, that picture can be embedded in the code instead of on the filesystem somewhere.

>>54540051
part of me feels that it may be usable if someone cared to use it. But let's be honest, in the era of software we have, why would more than .5% of people use it full time or long enough to have programs on it.
>>
>>54550292
Maybe if this were 1985, he'd have a great point.

But it's not. Those days are long gone and this os is well past any timeframe of usefulness.
>>
>>54542293
>TCP/IP stacks
CIA nigger obsessed with spying on users detected.
>>
>>54542293
>A compiler isn't that hard to do either; a CS grad from any respectable university should be able to code one given the amount of time Terry has had
Wirth's OS (Oberon) is arguably less impressive than TempleOS and he's been working WITH TEAMS OF PEOPLE on it for decades.
>>
>>54551116
Temple OS doesn't have any USB support you lying nigger
>>
>>54542393
>waaahhhhhh I don't like his variable names and I can't understand nesting more than 2 levels deep
Grow up kid.
>>
>>54551190
>hard-to-read code is good
>>
>>54551143
Have they been working on it literally 24/7 with no jobs or social life or management to get in the way?
>>
>>54543683
>What makes it unique or more efficient than existing OSes?

It's a single-user non-internet OS with limited graphics and sound capabilities. He's said that he wants it to be like a modern day version of the C64, for kids.

Many of his design choices start to make a lot more sense when you view it that way.
>>
File: booths.jpg (100 KB, 600x468) Image search: [Google]
booths.jpg
100 KB, 600x468
>>54541030
>tfw you accidentally reinvent lisp syntax

>>54543683
>Where does this OS site in terms of other OSes if you were to do comparisons?
It's a toy.
>>
>>54545754
The more LOC a developer types a day, the greater the chance that he's a meme kid.

Fast typing is necessary only for secretaries.

>spending time doing typing exercises instead of coding your own godly OS
>>
>>54547216
>do not take advantage of the actual architecture
With an architecture with now over 1500 instructions, do you need to use every one to "take advantage of the actual hardware?"

You're part of the problem.
>>
>>54547452
>From this follows segmentation, sandboxing, selective suspend, and a number of other capabilities
All of which are great if you're trying to make a 1970's mainframe OS, none of which are desirable in a Commodore 64 you nigger.
>>
>>54551521
No, terry is for not targeting some RISC or ZISC architecture.

Anyway, not using specific instructions is one thing. Not implementing fucking paging is something completely different.
>>
>>54547955
>>54547968
Kids who missed the personal computer era completely.

I'm working on my own system in Forth, it'll be even faster than Terry's OS. Not on Intel though.
>>
File: sparrow_os.png (16 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sparrow_os.png
16 KB, 640x480
>>54540235
>>54539922

listen here, memelords

templeOS has real applications. If you can't see that you're retarded.

imagine (matlab's applied mathematics - the matrices) * 50 + A complete intimite connection with the pure essence of computing. Almost a religious one. This makes TempleOS an aesthetic stylized masterpiece, a true temple of computing. Also It's practical as anything else that doesn't use networking.

I've watched hours of Terry Davis and his birds. he isn't crazy at all. People buy into the "mental illness genius" narrative but it isn't true.
>>
i got a feeling templeos was designed as an embedded operating system originally, as that's what terry used to work on

it's certainly designed like one
>>
>>54550292
>>54551286
I love that it's meant to be suitable for kids but no parents will let their kids use it on account of all the times nigger shows up in it.
>>
>>54551611
Hi Terry
>>
>>54551056
>proudly missing the whole point of TempleOS for the hundredth tome
>>
>>54552216
hello fucking CIA nigger. go choke on some jewish dick you nigger
>>
>>54552258
>the whole point is to be deliberately crippled
You know, the whole peek and poke stuff is still possible. How do you think drivers and memory mapped files work?
>>
>>54551218

>no jobs
It has been many peoples' jobs for a long time. Literally paid to work on Oberon and its predecessors.

Dozens of people have contributed to its design and implementation over a period of decades, for one man to excel over this effort BY HIMSELF whether or not he had a job is most impressive.

CIA nigger.
>>
>>54551560
>Not implementing fucking paging is something completely different.
Yes it's called a design decision, are you literally retarded?
>>
>>54552311
>still possible
Yes and it's easy thanks to Terry Davis, who is bas
>>
>>54552406
ed as fuck.
>>
>>54551611
Terry you're in the right place
>>
>>54552057
Parents frequently let their children browse the web and stuff a lot worse than 'nigger' shows up.

Google helicopter parenting, don't do it, teach your kids right and you won't have to worry.
>>
>>54552399
>design decision
In that case it's terrible design.

>>54552406
It's possible in Linux too.
>>
Impressive, considering he wrote that all by himself and being schizo on top of it
>>
File: image001.jpg (236 KB, 1624x626) Image search: [Google]
image001.jpg
236 KB, 1624x626
>>54551212
>good
Sometimes you have to learn a notation before you understand it memelord.
>>
>>54542117
How can people look at this and call this man insane is beyond me.
>>
>>54551286
>>54543683

When he says "kids" in his videos he is talking about 16 year olds. His "market" he talks about is literally /g/.

But this is true for everybody: modern OSes are bloated and gross. In every detail of there design, they obfuscate what a computer actually does. For most people, this is fine but it just marginalizes the minority of people who just want to program
>>
>>54551316
>It's a toy.
100% somebody actually understands Temple OS ITT.

Yes the whole point is to be a toy for kids.
>>
>>54550543
>but remember this guy sits in his mother's basement all day on disability and has nothing to do but make his OS
Thousands of papered computer scientists work at Google and the best they could manage is to buy an OS where somebody glued Linux to Java.

Fucking Terry is based as fuck.
>>
>>54545344
>>54545332
Not that guy, but I've had to make a pretend scheduler and an assembler

I never took the compilers class but I heard it was a pain in the ass
>>
>>54540096
reddit is trash - should invite him here
>>
all of them
>>
>>54551611
He's not crazy, it's just that genius appears crazy to normies and niggers.
>>
>>54552470
>It's possible in Linux too.
Yes if you're root.

But you still have shitty POSIX as your interface. It's designed literally to be a 1970s era mainframe.
>>
>>54552664
He's often inlining machine instructions in his holyc.

He wants you to know what machine code is.
>>
>>54553554
>Yes if you're root.
Or have sufficient privileges.

There is nothing stopping a user from mapping memory into its own virtual memory space. In fact, this is how shmem IPC works, you're literally mapping physical memory both processes share into their respective virtual memory spaces.
>>
>>54551116
can somebody dump some of the code here?
a good large example or link to his program code
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.