[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck are pdf libraries so expensive? I need to generate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: icon_pdf_png.png (130 KB, 1280x1588) Image search: [Google]
icon_pdf_png.png
130 KB, 1280x1588
Why the fuck are pdf libraries so expensive?
I need to generate pdfs for a client. Most of the commercially available libraries are very expensive.
Why?

Can someone recommend one that isn't expensive? I'm currently language agnostic.
>>
>>54529818
I've had to do this as a sort of catalog style program. Didn't want to waste any time. I found an old deprecated library for Java. I tested it and it worked. Holy fuck setting up the formatting was ass. Took like 3 days or just messing around to make it look nice. It works though.

>mfw they still use it 5+ years later
>>
>>54530178
iText 2?
I'm using that currently.
Newest version is 7 but the developer of it went full jew.
It's either AGPL or commercial license. AGPL is like FOSS cancer. Even if you just it as lib you have to make your project AGPL too.
Commercial license price is given out only on demand and from what I could find on the net is somewhat of $2000 upwards with various not so clear license models (volume, OEM, unlimited, etc.)
>>
why not just shell out to a external program passing the filename to that program. then grab the generated pdf output.
>>
>>54530235
be a little more specific please.
Into which program? How would I do that?
>>
File: 1463129604905.jpg (101 KB, 982x627) Image search: [Google]
1463129604905.jpg
101 KB, 982x627
>>54530271
get/install a free pdf creator and call it from your program.
>>
Windows 10 comes with a PDF printer.
>>
>>54532744
1e-32 shekels have been deposited to your microsoft associate account. please come again
>>
WTF are you talking about? There are a lot of simple free libraries available for any language. Or you can simply use some simple converter.
>>
Prawn is Ruby and free.
>>
>>54532840

All he did was make a valid point, and you decide to be a moron and give us even more reason to call you freetards faggots?
>>
>>54532903

All he did was make a valid point, and you decided to be a sperg and make a retarded shitpost.
>>
>>54533027

huh? If you're gonna shitpost at least be more clever.
>>
>>54532840
>There are a lot of simple free libraries available for any language
list some please.
>>
File: LIKE_RAPE_ON_YOUR_WEDDING_DAY.jpg (144 KB, 1071x999) Image search: [Google]
LIKE_RAPE_ON_YOUR_WEDDING_DAY.jpg
144 KB, 1071x999
>>54533079
>>
>>54530225
>Commercial license price is given out only on demand and from what I could find on the net is somewhat of $2000 upwards with various not so clear license models (volume, OEM, unlimited, etc.)
why not just ask
>>
>>54533305
$2000 dollar is too much for the project I'm working on.
Also they want so much info from me just for the price. Not willing to do that.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.