[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
starting a computer science major, need a good laptop to do shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: 1462929073282.png (547 KB, 960x711) Image search: [Google]
1462929073282.png
547 KB, 960x711
starting a computer science major, need a good laptop to do shit without any problem whatsover and last me for about 5-6 years but i'd also like something that runs games decently (AAA games, Dolphin emulator) and programs like Photoshop and Ableton Live without hiccups

i'm a dorm student so yeah no home PeeCee

any recommendations?
>>
I use a HP Elitebook (4 years old atm) and it runs dolphin just fine at least, also no problems installing loonix on it.
>>
>>54527457
>searching for HP Elitebooks in the official HP site end in 404

wat
>>
I've been living in a dorm for two years and I've brought my desktop to and from school all the time
Just built a mini-itx rig
>>
>>54527507
*build

for reference my case is a cm elite 130
>>
>>54527507
yeah but I find myself walking alot to diff classes and such, not sure if a rig is a good idea
>>
>>54527427
>starting a computer science major, need a good laptop
Check with your school first. Start with the department, if they don't recommend any hardware then try the college (of engineering or CS. Depends on your school). Then lastly check the University level recommendations.

Even if the CS dept. doesn't recommend specific hardware, they will probably give you recommended specs. That will be your minimum.

Next check the requirements of the programs you want to run (you mentioned photoshop). See what their minimum and recommended specs are.

In my opinion, the specs for PS will far exceed and requirements of an undergrad CS program. If you need to do any "heavy lifting" you will use hardware/servers provided by your department.
>>
>looking for something that lasts 5-6 years and plays triple A titles
pick one
the gpu demands of the biggest titles go up year by year, let alone 5
even if you get a cutting edge ""gaming"" laptop you'll still be playing them below max settings and in 5-6 years you may not even be able to run them on low settings
also if you forget about vidya you'll do better in school and drop your price range by like 500$
just pick up some ultrabook like an asus zenbook or that new razer blade stealth if you're still intent on running games, but you wont find one that can play games in 5 years
>>
will scower the internet for Ultrabooks but I would like brand recommendations because I dont know what brands are generally liked here and not, and i'd trust /g/ more than some Best Buy jew

>>54527542
i'll ask the department then if they ask for hardware, i'm doing a bachelors degree

>>54527565
I should have worded that better, really wanted to emphasize graphicslly heavy games but I wont be buying every new game that comes out, meant able to run shit like MGSV and emulators, hence s good graphical card
>>
Grow up manchild
>>
>>54527427
I had wrote a lenghty message (I've just solved the captcha) but it seems you want AAA games and Photoshop.

Why the hell do you need AAA games for a computer science major? And don't tell me muh networking, LANs are antisocial as fuck.

If you want a stable computer with Photoshop, better get a Mac. It's overpriced (fuck the poorfag meme, get a Thinkpad and we'll talk), but it's what seems to fit your needs in the closest way.
>>
>>54527813
Also no please send me images with the poorfag meme, that won't be lost anyway
>>
>>54527813
photoshop and the games are completely unrelated to the Major jackass, same goes for Ableton Live which is a music production program, their entertainment

basically a laptop that will do me good for the shit in my major and also be good for my entertainment
>>
>>54527677
Decked-out Lenovo Thinkpad T460 would be my personal pick for university.

I am a PhD researcher in text mining and natural language processing and I had to pick from the Dell Latitude line because of uni contracts with Dell.

Got me a highest-spec Latitude E4750 (the working budget had to get spent). Overall, I am pretty happy, not as sturdy as some older or even newer Thinkpads I have handled and the keyboard is less nice. The Dell repair guy was ripping on the new line yesterday though when doing a keyboard replacement, apparently new business class Dells are much less maintainable.

Go with business class laptops, they're the only ones that are built with minimal maintainability, repairability and durability in mind.

Spec-wise don't bother going maxed out, any heavy compute at university is account for by a supercluster which students usually can use with permission. If it isn't reconsider your choice of uni.
>>
File: baka_big.png (2 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
baka_big.png
2 MB, 2000x2000
>>54527427
>i'm a dorm student so yeah no home PeeCee
Desktop + tablet with dock or netbook.

You're going to be unsatisfied with the performance of a laptop in your room unless you drop serious cash. If you do get a high-performance laptop, it's likely going to be large and heavy.

If I had a dick in my mouth for every thread asking for a good laptop, I'd literally never be able to stop sucking cocks.
>>
>>54527901
That's how you answer to someone who claims having wrote you a lenghty answer, that's cool.

So get a Thinkpad for 200$, upgrade it with an SSD and RAM for 200-400$, and install Windows 10 on it because that's what you deserve.

For more information on thinkpads → >>>/g/tpg.

Also get the fuck out, this is what you need. >>>/v/
>>
>"peecee"
kill yourself
>>
File: 1462397528513.png (858 KB, 889x717) Image search: [Google]
1462397528513.png
858 KB, 889x717
>>54528003
/v/'s cancerous as shit, i'm not stepping in that cesspool anymore

>>54528018
soon

>>54527943
thanks for being the first detailed answer and not acting like a faggot, as far as I know the uni doesnt have a contract that obligates me to use a specific computer brand, I'll consider business class laptops first and thinkpads second, i'll have to fo ask at the department of the uni first if they recommend me anything
>>
>>54528003
I've been a bit harsh on the last line. I'm sorry, I didn't think of your choice of major, but please have a minimal respect for people who give you the same.

Consider >>54527943's proposition, they seem more documented than me. Bye.
>>
>>54528153
Yeah, come on, they're here to kill Google after all, that doesn't come without a minimal sacrifice.
>>
>>54528153
not soon
now
>>
>>54528153
No problem, brah.

Really business class is the only way to go these days and even then you want to check for build quality in reviews. In my student days, I used to cycle a lot with my laptop, lot's of shaking, carrying around, occasional drops, and other student nonsense.

Also, the delivery contract with a manufacturer is for employees of the uni only, sometimes this includes substantial discounts for students though. Inform with your school about student discounts on computers. As a researcher, I am a uni employee so had to pick Dell, but personally I'd go with the T460.
>>
File: 11-144-254-TS.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
11-144-254-TS.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
>>54527522
mini itx at the room (APU build should be good enough) with a used business laptop like an X220, hold off for the new AMD (Ravenridge I believe)
>>
File: 700c_1.jpg (48 KB, 640x619) Image search: [Google]
700c_1.jpg
48 KB, 640x619
>>54527427
i ran an ibm thinkpad when i was getting my degree in cis. It worked good for me and should be good enough. plus they are relatively cheap
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.