[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
programming/working with ADD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
/g/ents after a decade of getting in trouble with professors (my fault ofc), bosses and having issues with focus/ staying at one place my doc thinks I have ADD. I got pissed after I started few projects and couldn't focus to finish even one of them, so I went to my doc for advice.

My question for /g/ents with similar diagnose is: Is there a way for you to beat it without medications (how do you plan/organize yourself)? I'm having issues with focus, listening, reading trough whole task before starting to work on it just to see I've done it completely wrong because I haven't read what's needed.

I'm living in a Eastern European country where ADD is still a joke and has 0 recognition, so I doubt I'll get access to any sort of medication without paying a LOT. Even testing for it costs a lot and you have to wait a year to get appointment.
>>
>>54524530
I have it. Makes it really hard to focus and get shit done. I get focused on something for a few minutes and then all concentration is on something else. I'll get lost in thought or something and it really fucks me up any time I try to do work.

Maybe try removing all distractions nearby and think as much as you can about work?
>>
>>54524530
There's so much over diagnosis of ADD in the USA, it's not even funny anymore.

Do you know how many people with ADD I know? Zero.
>>
>>54527049
I'm trying. So far I'm failing miserably. I'll try to use timers and notes/schedules more often but still not sure how to focus more. Today I took my first SSRI for anxiety after years of trying to get over it without any medications. I guess I have to try harder.
>>
>>54527248
Well, keep at it. I couldn't focus for shit in high school. Only reason I passed was because the teacher and some friends kept hounding me about it. I think I just put most of my focus into that and set myself on auto-pilot, if that makes sense. Just kinda thought about things while I worked.
A friend of mine was in a similar situation, although he took ADHD medicine. Worked wonders for him.
>>
>>54527363
I heard great things about ADHD medicines but I doubt I can get them in this country. I'll go trough this month and see if there is any progress. Have a good (and focused lol) day anons.
>>
>>54524530
As someone diagnosed with ADD, i take Adderall and basically cant do shit without it. Id say try and get prescribed on that, itll make your life more motivating.
>>
Props on trying to improve yourself without medication. You should do that even if you did have access to medication; big pharma does not have your interest in mind.

Some things I find helpful for focus and productivity are the pomodoro technique and mindfulness exercises.
>>
>>54527405
Honestly it can help a lot. Only reason I haven't taken any yet is because I want to improve myself on my own. I think it's better to do that without medication.
Maybe do some mental exercises or something, like what this>>54527452 guy said.
>>
>>54524530
Go to a PSYCHIATRIST and get doped. Fuck PSYCHOLOGISTS, they can't give you medication and only focus in shitty "b urself" tier advice worth jack shit.
>>
>>54527558
This is the opposite of what you should do. Getting doped up is not how you should be solving your problems. Not all psychologists are well-trained but one that is is very valuable.
>>
>>54527558
>doesn't know about cognitive behavioral therapy
>doesn't know about meditation

getting doped is the most plebian way of dealing with any kind of problem.
>>
>>54527452
Thanks anon, I'll read about these tonight.
>>
>>54524530

try doing something you like

add isnt real

add meds are for degenerates
>>
>>54531448
>add isnt real
>add meds are for degenerates

This.
>>
I have an ADD diagnosis. I don't think I've ever finished a personal project. On the other hand, when working on university projects I have a tendency to go all out and get hyperfocus while programming. Then I can easily program for 10 hours straight and my main concern becomes that I have to restrain myself to the actual core of the assignment instead of going all over the place with "oh this is neat and I can do that and this would be cool and I forgot something there and I just realized I made a mistake in that other completely unrelated part of the code", etc.
It's a bitch when trying to read stuff though, since I lose attention constantly.

I was on Ritalin/Concerta from age 6 to ~18 for ADHD but quit after that. At age 25 I went to a psychiatrist and he diagnosed with ADD instead. He prescribed me methylphenidate again but I don't really like how it makes me feel so I barely ever use it. It does increase focus though.
Guess I kinda learned to cope with it. Shame about my personal projects though.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.