[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laptop battery refurbishing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: batt.jpg (82 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
batt.jpg
82 KB, 600x600
I have a problem with my laptop battery. It wasn't working then I opened it up and one of the 3 cells was dead. I replaced them all. Welded the terminals, soldered the wires, sensors and shit.
When I put the battery back in my computer, it charged and said 6% wear. Not too bad. Battery time in the meter was 1:30 hours.
I got into the battery calibration utility in the BIOS setup and did a calibration, rebooted into winderp and the wear meter showed 18%.
2 charges later, wear at 27%.
I charged my laptop, unplugged it to run on battery and it shows now 43% wear, 86% charge level (I just unplugged it) and 45 minutes left.

What the fuck is wrong with this battery? How do I make it stop fucking the cells?
>>
File: batt 43.png (29 KB, 638x525) Image search: [Google]
batt 43.png
29 KB, 638x525
Pic very related.
>>
Why not just buy a new one?
>>
>>54515193
Can't find it on my local market.
Can't import shit from ebay (fucking 5th world shit ass country and it's stupid regulations).
Also, I love "DIY" and the only battery available is in Italy.
>>
Bro it sounds like u only replaced one or two batteries that was part of the pack. U have to replace them all at once or nothing because they will be worn differently
>>
>>54515228
Did you use name brand cells for the replacement?

Also, have you done a deep charge of the battery? Leaving it plugged in and charging for 24hrs?
>>
>>54515270
>one of the 3 cells was dead. I replaced them all.
you're more retarded than OP.
l2read
>>
File: batt stuck.png (28 KB, 638x525) Image search: [Google]
batt stuck.png
28 KB, 638x525
>>54515270
I thought about replacing only the dead cell but then I replaced the 3 cells. It's a 3 cell battery pack so I replaced them all.

>>54515318
I used LG cells.

Interesting though, the pack is measuring like shit because once it gets to 3%, the computer keeps running for a while until it drops to 0% and then keeps running a bit more until it hibernates.
When it does that, I can boot to setup and keep it running for like 15 more minutes in the setup screen.
I just got a total of 35 minutes runtime and now it's bitching "battery critical"
>>
>>54515336
It's very easy to read into that sentence to take it that "all" refers to the 3 dead cells from the previous line.
>>
>>54515372
How good is your soldering?
If the sensors were reading low voltages because of bad solder, then they might report low, but you would still be able to drive current because the cells could still supply power. Not that I know shit about how battery sensors work.
>>
>>54515387
>I replaced all one cells
Are you sure you can speak english?
>>
>>54515144
>What the fuck is wrong with this battery?
it's a car battery

that'll be forty-five dollars, please
>>
You may need to reset some stats on it's internal BMS.

http://sbworkshop.com/
>>
>>54516562
See also
https://media.blackhat.com/bh-us-11/Miller/BH_US_11_Miller_Battery_Firmware_Public_WP.pdf
>>
OP here, sorry for leaving. The battery died so I left the computer charging in my truck. I forgot the AC adapter at home so now I had to borrow one of these shitty Thinkpads from the library to post and study.
Only good thing is the trackpoint.
>>54515435
>How good is your soldering?
Pretty good. I solder crap like tsop chips no problem.
>>54516562
>>54516603
Thanks for the links. I'll read that.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.