[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much coding can be done?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Trebuchet.jpg (84 KB, 960x593) Image search: [Google]
Trebuchet.jpg
84 KB, 960x593
How much can one man code all by myself in his basement and lead to concrete results used by thousands across the world and potentially make a profit out of it? Give me success examples to inspire me, I'm a noob but I believe the internet is the future.

Also share your own coding/developing success stories.
>>
Dude, don't be delusional
I mean... you can do it. But it sounds to me you're just having a pipe dream of success. It'll take you lots of effort to even come up with an original idea, something that hasn't been done before, and a hell of a lot of coding, and you are already thinking about being the next jewckerberg. I bet you'll be watching stupid videos on youtube by day 3, instead of coding.
If you're even remotely serious, why come and ask on /g/? I rest my case
>>
File: 1337394806773.jpg (293 KB, 700x849) Image search: [Google]
1337394806773.jpg
293 KB, 700x849
>>54502388
>original idea
you dont need any of those. just focus on getting good and knowing things and you'll be able to improve upon tons of projects or remake some that badly need it.
>>
>>54501106
roller coaster tycoon
>>
I did this. There's about 600 people using it right now after 4 years.

I make no money off of it, it's just an extra responsibility on top of still having to go to work every day.
>>
>>54501106
you might hear a lot of "programmer made a super successful game all by himself in 12 months" stories but fact is most of the time they spent 6+ years programming and gaining experience (including having a fucking job at a company, not hiding in their basement) before starting to make that particular product.
>>
I think the guy who did stardew valley couldn't get a job out of college so he spent 5 years building it with C#. Given how much press that game got he probably made bank.
>>
>>54504338
he spent 5 years to make a Harvest Moon clone
it might have been worth it for him but most of the time it won't be, he was lucky.
>>
>>54504338
>Stardew Valley
other notable projects with a similar history & single/small-group developer:

Axiom Verge
SpaceChem
DotA (the original wc3 version)
Factorio
Aquaria
Cave Story
Minecraft, to a point
>>
>>54501106
dorf fortress
>>
F L A P P Y B I R D
>>
>>54504460
oh yeah how could i forget fucking dorf fortress
>>
>>54501106
Prince of Persia was developed by 1 person. I believe the original Civilization was developed by 1-2 people.

http://www.gamespew.com/2015/09/top-10-games-made-by-one-person/

Banished, Minecraft.
>>
>>54504460
DEM DORFS MAN
>>
>>54501106
Rent a server somewhere, try different shits, create some websites, host stuff..if you see something that works try to push it farther...I got about 500 visiter per day on my sites...It's not much but meh
>>
>>54501106
Minecraft (through Alpha stage).
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.