[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do web browsers have tabs? Isn't that a window manager
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Why do web browsers have tabs? Isn't that a window manager responsibility?
>>
Are you retarded
>>
>>54491179
Try surf, a browser made by suckless. That's exactly what it is made for
>>
so that you can have more shit open ....
>>
No one that produces window managers is that forward-thinking.
>>
Nice *snicker* aha ahahaha DEFAULT i3
>>
>>54491193
Are you
>>
The majority of people's window manager doesn't tab windows but the people wanted tabs so the browser implemented them.
>>
>>54491179
Yes. But no-one is autistic enough to set up things properly so the browsers have to compensate.
>>
>>54491179
This method wastes space with duplicate address bar, title bar, menu in each browser
>>
>>54491872
OP doesn't actually use WM tabs in that screenshot.
>>
>>54491527
Nah, pretty sure you are though.
>>
>>54491206
>no javascript
thanks but I'm not a neckbeard
>>
why do web browsers have adress bars? Isn't that a command line argument responsibility?
>>
>>54491179
>Why do web browsers have tabs?
because most people arent autists like you
>>
>>54492179
Surf does have javascript
It can even run 4chan x
>>
do WMs have tree style tabs?
>>
>>54491179
Because when Opera was actually good they invented this and once again Opera users pointed and laughed at every other browser user.

It really is a shame those brown cunts fucked Opera with Chromeshit. I still use version 12.
>>
>>54492254
yes (tiling WMs that is). kinda inherently, since all keep track of windows with a tree style system. pic related shows three tabs each of which contains three tabs.

>>54492315
this. Pretty sure tabs in browsers actually predate tabs in WMs.
>>
>>54492381
how would i arrange the browser tabs in a vertically expanded tree
>>
File: 30844.png?modified=1331218902.png (62 KB, 324x360) Image search: [Google]
30844.png?modified=1331218902.png
62 KB, 324x360
>>54492406
like pic related? I don't think anybody has done that. It would require a whole new piece of software that looks at your existing windows and how your WM has organised them, and then draws the list. That software would have to be WM-specific. Maybe someone has done it, maybe not.
>>
>>54492508
exactly, tree style tabs is the single most important thing in the web browsing world
>>
>>54491179
OP has a fair point. But unfortunately giving the browser window manager responsibilities is more likely to happen.
>>
The main reason for the redundancy is that a generic window manager wont have useful options like duplicate tab or bookmark all tabs and shit like that.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.