[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I ditched Vim after realizing it just wasted my time and hindered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: vim.png (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
vim.png
27 KB, 400x400
I ditched Vim after realizing it just wasted my time and hindered me. Yes, that's right. Vim is not effective unless you're working remotely through a terminal. It started when I decided, after 3 years of usage, that Vim sucked as an IDE and required all kinds of plugins that didn't even function correctly and needed constant management, so I switched to Pycharm, at first with a Vim plugin. Then I ditched the Vim plugin after realizing that it was slowing me down. Now my workflow is much more natural and I can focus on actual coding, not what pattern I need to use to move the cursor or make an alteration. My thought process is not constantly interrupted by having to switch modes.

Bear in mind that this is after hobbling myself for three years. I was wondering why school assignments seemed so arduous and took so much energy and time. I think I now know the answer. Don't drink the kool-aid. Don't confuse the tool for the mission at hand. Fuck Vim and everyone who says you should use their meme editor, just use what works and what enables you most. The advantage of computers is automating tasks which relieve you to do other things. Vim does the opposite and is a burden on the user. You might scream "regexes!" or "macros!" or some shit, that's either something every other editor can do or useful maybe 1% of the time.
>>
Thank you for posting your story about how incompetent you are with software on /g/ - Your Blog
>>
>>54487336
Agreed. Unfortunately, I now use emacs. Key bindings are shit, along with a lot else, but the huge amount of packages coupled with the fact that I only have to learn those key bindings once to use them for a variety of different tools make it a winner for me. I also used vim for years. Composable commands and text selection are great ideas, but modal editing and obscure defaults weren't.
>>
>>54487413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1sXuHnf_lo

you won't get these features in vim
>>
>>54487456
Vim is a perfect example of the UNIX way. I simply call dildexec.sh from within vim while altering my plain text config files with superior modal editing.
>>
File: spacemacs.png (105 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
spacemacs.png
105 KB, 512x512
>>54487336
Try this, faggot.
I hated vim until I actually tried this one, started and finished 2 projects with it, the second one was faster and basically you get a lot of functionallity out of the box
>>
I've heard this about vim a couple times already. But truth is, I don't like to take my hands away from the keyboard. It honestly does annoy me now that I'm so used to it. Sometimes I do feel clumsy but then again I've only been using it for a lil while. I used to use emacs, but now I only use it for lisp because I found Vim way easier to handle and more featureful with less fuzz.
There's one thing I should say: Vi(m) is a text editor, not an IDE. Tried slimv and it absolutely sucks after I used slime on emacs. Anyway, Vim is an editor, and Emacs is an IDE. Should bear that in mind. Most of my non-editing work I carry out in the shell, where is where I actually do all the work.
Anyway, I'll stick to Vim for a while, I honestly find it's direct keystrokes highly efficient, though, as I said, I'm still clumsy at it.
I should probably do as I did when I learned to type: practice nonstop for a few hours.
Also the fact that I can just call it from my terminal or use it inside tmux is a great advantage
>>
I made the switch when I decided to try to unify my keybindings:

Vim, MuPDF, Vimperator (FF), Viplugin (Eclipse)

Now I don't think about the navigation for each program all the bindings are the same.
>>
>>54489676
This. hjkl in every piece of software that I use
>>
>>54487660
No, code bloat: the editor is not a perfect example of the UNIX way. It's not a filter, it's a captive user interface for a text terminal, it does more than one thing and does many of them poorly (how about a scripting language, and bindings for other scripting languages), it's 99% code bloat for portability when portability should be made possible with abstractions (do one thing and do it well. make a common library, not a million programs with their own portable solutions)

Ed is a perfect example of the UNIX way
Vim is a perfect example of the linux way.
>well, as long as you can call bash from it!
>>
>make your least common actions slightly more efficient (select everything between the nth pair of brackets)
>make your most common actions slightly less efficient (insert some text, move the cursor, make a completely arbitrary selection - without using the mouse)
>realize that emacs and ST users can do all the least common tasks you do in the same or fewer keystrokes
>learners remorse
>go full autism
>"but muh atomic command set, it makes so much sense"
>"but muh terminal and ssh"
>"but i think it's light, it's a smaller package than emacs"
>>
File: learning_curves.jpg (31 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
learning_curves.jpg
31 KB, 500x333
>>54487336

>Tech: "This is a car."
>User: "O-ok."
>Tech: "It can go very fast."
>User: "I've only been riding my bicycle, is it like a bicycle?"
>Tech: "Kinda, but a little more complicated."
>User: "Uh-oh.. OK, I'm only used to a handlebar and pedals."
>Tech: "You see, first you have to start the engine.."
>User: "WHOA WHOA slow down buddy! E-n-g-i-n-e ?!"
>Tech: "Yeah. Then you have to engage a gear by pressing the clutch down.."
>User: "WTF? You serious ?!?! I'm not gonna do this shit! It feels unnatural and slows me down. Why do you need three pedals? What are those Blinkenlights? WHOA WHOA WHOA !1!!"

This is how you sound to me
>>
>>54487336
>after 3 years of usage
>constantly interrupted by having to switch modes
If you use vim for a month this should be taken care of by your subconscious/muscle memory.
>>
>>54487336
Are you familiar with the vcs in pycharm's for git? Git and github confuse the fuck out of me. I have done so many projects that I feel could have been put on github from the beginning but I don't know how to make my changes go through to the repo I created at github. I commit and push, but nothing seems to change or be added... I will never have a good github page
>>
>>54490793
You took all that time writing up a exaggerated comparison when you could have riced your shitty vim.

People who use vim on /g/ don't get any work done. At all.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.