[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cloud Gaming = Next Level Vidya Graphics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: km4wg9fwqsxe6ucjwedy.jpg (384 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
km4wg9fwqsxe6ucjwedy.jpg
384 KB, 3840x2160
We're approaching the physical and economic limits of consumer-affordable native graphics.

If games were rendered remotely on supercomputers with 2,000+ Pascal GPUs and Xeon CPU's, would it be possible to achieve reatime CGI fidelity in games? It's true, real-time will always fall behind slow render farms used by Hollywood, but I think it'll possible to create Avatar level fidelity in realtime, by the next decade.

Latency will always be an issue to be worked out, as will vendor control of cloud infrastructure, but I think it could be a revolution in gaming power, if one company invests in giant data centers with supercomputers, mainframes, and even a few quantum processing units.

Ultimately it's more accessible than PC or console gaming. All you need is a display/HID, a reasonably fast Wi-Fi connection, and a subscription.

What are some bottlenecks to the cloud as a hardcore gaming platform?
>>
File: 1462821318343.jpg (86 KB, 438x700) Image search: [Google]
1462821318343.jpg
86 KB, 438x700
>>54482624
>implying we won't all die when Moores's Law ends and the divergence occurs
>>
>pascal
>good
>>
>>54482624
No for a number of reasons.

You're assuming normies have unlimited bandwidth (they don't)
Input Lag
You're going to lose image quality in the encode -> deliver -> display stack so you're going to waste a good amount of computer power for naught
>>
>play 10 hours of game
>streamed at 2 megabytes per second stream
>72 Gigabytes wasted a day
>play 3 times a week (4 weeks a month)

>216 Gigabytes per week
>864 Gigabytes per month

>meanwhile cable limits you at 200 Gigabytes per month
>$10 extra additional 50 Gigabytes

Future of gaming? Yeah, FAR FAR future. Not in the coming decades for sure.
>>
>>54483262
>Consumption limit
Why is this shit allowed, let alone in the first world?

Not even in my shithole druglord state is there such a thing.
>>
>>54482624
Go away tech illiterate redditor, no one needs your sci-fi dreams, but the sad thing is that you actually believe it's possible.
also
>latency will always be an issue to be worked out
nope, not possible
>>
>>54483262
>>54483184
heh, americans
>>
>>54483365
>Consumption limit
They call it FUP, but I don't know why it has "fair" in the name
>>
How would one of these servers serve many people at the same time? This is something I haven't understood as it seems everyone would nead an insane amount of compute and it would never be cost effective in a million years
>>
>>54483262
>200 GB limit
hehehe
>>
Now what if- just hear me out on this! What if instead of another computer the game was being ran on YOUR computer at a quality that YOUR computer could handle and it was streamed to YOUR monitor?! Now that's the future of gaming me! :^)
>>
File: 103v9ds.jpg (133 KB, 1234x696) Image search: [Google]
103v9ds.jpg
133 KB, 1234x696
>>54482624
Nvidia GRID.

https://www.nvidia.com/object/cloud-gaming.html
>>
>>54483803
That's not the same thing
>>
File: 8625263.jpg (363 KB, 3850x2975) Image search: [Google]
8625263.jpg
363 KB, 3850x2975
*farts*
>>
>>54483681
holy shit get this mad man out of here
>>
>>54483681
Yeah but what if we got to mars for vacations so would not it be better to have that power in your phone and have it stream to you cuckulus rift?! Mad gaming sessions everywhere
>>
Before that they have to make sure enough people can play , I live in France and have 1.6MB/s.
I'm not against cloud gaming but my isp is.
It won't happen before long
>>
>>54483553
Canada did it first and people hated it, so they brought it to the US. Don't they love their customers?
>>
File: 1307804571713.jpg (254 KB, 593x593) Image search: [Google]
1307804571713.jpg
254 KB, 593x593
>paying someone else to run gaymes for you
>paying monthly for gaymes
>thinking graphics is more important than gameplay
>thinking graphic realism even matters when nobody has figured out a way to even resolve clipping in fucking video games yet

OP gets the most retarded poster on /g/ in the last decade award.
Congrats OP.
>>
>>54483553
>bitches about Americans
>his country is already considering jailing its own nationals and fining them to retarded levels for copyright infringement just to take more money out of the economy of his nation that would be left in the anti-piracy agreement, for the sake of the wallet of some foreigner's wallet

You are a prime cuck, and you aren't even aware of it.
>>
>gayman
See >>54483885
>>>/v/
>>
>>54484140
That's america you are talking about
>>
File: workers laughing.jpg (34 KB, 448x311) Image search: [Google]
workers laughing.jpg
34 KB, 448x311
>>54482624
>Cloud Gaming
You realise "cloud" is just corporate's buzzword for "internet", right?
>>
>>54482624
There is no cloud, it's just someone else's hard drive.
>>
>>54482624
See: OnLive
It didn't work because of input lag and bandwidth limits.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.