[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought some cheap LED lights from aliexpress. They came without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: Untitled.png (528 KB, 586x473) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
528 KB, 586x473
I bought some cheap LED lights from aliexpress. They came without a wall plug, but the exterior says "12W AC90-260V 50/60Hz.

I figured since the wall socket pumps out 230V here i'd just solder it to a standard wall plug and it'd work. It blew a fuse, but the light is still intact.

Can anyone tell an idiot how to connect an LED light bar to electricity?
>>
Get a butter knife and shove into wall socket.
>>
Are you sure the thing don't use a laptop charger cord?
>>
>>54481697
>>
if the one pictured are the ones you have, they are upgrades to a "base kit". if i remember correctly they run off of 12 volts DC. No idea how you would fine polarity.
>>
>>54481597
This, OP.
>>
>>54481553

there is no 225v resistor up in that shit
thats basically what a wall plug is

that in bridge rectifier to change the nigger AC into DC white master race

those LEDs are DC
that ballast looks like its missing a rectifier too, but its certainly large enough to fit all those
>>
>>54481717
I tried this one. That's the standard cloverleaf C5/C6 right? It doesn't fit. It's some bootleg gookified smaller version.

I checked out the insides and the ground isn't even connected, so i should just be able to connect the things to a plug and go, but the shit keeps blowing fuses.

>>54481697
Looks exactly like it but it's a little smaller.

>>54481725
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I bought them as standalone, and the outside says AC 90-260V, so i'm pretty sure they're not 12 volts.
>>
>>54481754
>there is no 225v resistor up in that shit
>thats basically what a wall plug is

Can you be more specific, i'm an idiot when it comes to electronics. I just grabbed an extension cord, cut off the female end, twisted the wires together, put some solder on that shit and isolated the wires with electrical tape. I thought that'd do the trick but obviously i was wrong.
>>
>>54481597

that doesn't really do anything unless you home was built in the 80's or earlier and has never had its outlets upgraded

you are fucking with the AC circuit when you do this,
you are putting a drain to yourself, rather than properly connecing an AC curcut which in turn sends electricity back into the plug, newer outlets detect this and shut off

but besides this, electric shocks only kill you if it crosses your heart
you can pretty much be hit by lightning and survive 99.99% percent of the time as long as the voltage does not cross your heart

it typically crosses across the chest from arm to arm
so if you stick one of your arms in your back pocket, you should be alright
>>
>>54481859

yes, there is nothing within that asian bullshit LED ballast which is meant to accommodate an AC outlet

whichever japanese person designed this device was obviously trying to kill you
>>
>>54481886

dont fuck with lighting tho
sticking your arm up your ass wont save you in this scenario
>>
just throw some DC into that bitch

my guess would be 5v or 12v
it doesnt really matter
>>
>>54481928
Nah dude i opened it up and there's some gooklectronics in there. Some small circuit board with what looks like a big capacitor and some resistance. Put that shit back together and i got glue all over my hand so i don't really feel like pulling it apart again.

I'm gonna jerry rig some cable to it again and hope it was my bad soldering that didn't do the trick last time. Wish me luck.
>>
>>54482020

pull it apart again
just do it you fucking black nigger disciple of jesus christ

fucking worthless lazy bitch
you probably collect welfare too
>>
>>54481886
>if you stick one of your arms in your back pocket, you should be alright

Epic tip
>>
>>54481994
This.

Worst case scenario: nothing happens.
>>
All similar LED lights I have worked with so far, required a power supply.

Cant really imagine that some small LEDs simply eat 220V, and your fuse seems to think the same.
>>
>>54482058
Just let me be lazy god fucking damn

I pulled the cable thing i made apart and redid it with a little bit more exposed copper wrapped up a little tighter and put a fuckton more electrical tape on it. Shit works now, must have been a short circuit or some shit.

Thanks for believing in me faggots
>>
>>54482161
Told you dude there's a resistor and shit inside it's fine
>>
File: 1461198306926.jpg (131 KB, 600x2168) Image search: [Google]
1461198306926.jpg
131 KB, 600x2168
>>54481553
Connect the red wire to the white wire and the black wires together. Don't hook up the ground wire because ground is for pussies. And use wire nuts, who the fuck solders a light fixture? Good thread though OP.
>>
File: 1461959738029.jpg (146 KB, 500x413) Image search: [Google]
1461959738029.jpg
146 KB, 500x413
>>54482165

that literally doesn't do shit
you only did half assed work just to waste more of your time which you are too lazy to waste

pull it apart and post a picture
>>
>>54481808
>>54481553
Well for one that is AC. LEDs run off DC. They're going to probably be 12V 3A DC. Like most all LEDs...
>>
>>54482378
>that literally doesn't do shit

Read my post again
>shit
>works
>now
>shit works now

It is currently working. It is plugged in and working. The LED lights are emitting electromagnetic waves in the visible spectrum that are hitting my eyeballs.

I ain't pullin apart shit
>>
>>54482436
Read the fucking thread before you post man goddamn i told you there's a circuit board and resistors and all that jazz pumped in there and gooked up.
>>
>>54482489
Unless there's a fucking heatsink somewhere in there there's no way that you have a 230V AC resistor in there, let alone a rectifier for DC.

Good thing as soon as you plugged that into Straight AC it blew, otherwise it would have started a fire with the amount of heat that resistance causes.

Quit being retarded OP and just look up the model numbers.
>>
Christ OP
>>
>>54481553
You're lucky you aren't dead. You should make sure you do a more thorough job next time.
>>
>>54481553
Post a photo of the internal circuit.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.