[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Capitalism has hijacked the technological revolution
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: wall-e.jpg (271 KB, 1435x597) Image search: [Google]
wall-e.jpg
271 KB, 1435x597
Computers, instead of being used for intellectual amplification (with everyone having free universal access to a massive body of knowledge, learning about the world, other cultures, science... in short, making themselves better people), have turned into mass surveillance-enabling, corporate-endorsed advertising and entertainment devices, dumbing down everyone's span of attention with 24/7 small instant gratifications.

It didn't have to be like this.

I blame American "culture". Well, it's far-fetched to call it a culture. It's more like a continuous stream of corporate products and trends based on neuromarketing that appeal to the lowest and most basic of human instincts. That means that it's not just Americans that quickly adopt these new trends, people abroad do too.

For example, Japan has lost its unique feature-filled flip phones to iPhones. And as I said it doesn't only happen with technology: take music or cinema. Contemporary French or German music are closer to Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga than to their own music from a few decades ago.

Of course, people adopt it quickly and easily because it's designed to attract them. Blaming people for this is like blaming mice for being attracted to cheese. They can't help it, it's in their nature.

20 years ago, the internet was a place to explore and discover. A young kid could find fansites about their favorite cartoons, emulators for playing games, forums to discuss or just have fun with people from all around the world... nowadays if I let my child browse the internet from a small age he'd just end up addicted to social media and possibly with embarrassing content tied to his real name forever.

And the worst part is that the downward trend isn't stopping anytime soon, if anything it's accelerating. Adults are being effectively forced to use nonfree channels and forfeit their privacy in order to interact with governments, companies or the labor market.

We truly live in dark times.
>>
>>54481023

The largest business opportunity in the past 50 years has been hijacked by people who want to make money, I would never have guessed it I am truly shocked.
>>
>hijacked

you mean engendered it
>>
>>54481023
The hacker revolution and ethic still burn as brightly now, more so even, as it did in the past.

The losers remain losers no matter what generation it is, they just have different toys to idle with.
>>
>>54481023
>thinking that in the future youll somehow be connected to the system, but somehow, magically, still privat eand independent.

fuck off normie
>>
>hijacked
Yeah, because we would all have home PCs and internet connections without massive corporations seizing the opportunity to make money.
I make my own silicon wafers, hard drives, GPUs, and other shit in my basement.
>>
File: 1455660110530.jpg (100 KB, 465x342) Image search: [Google]
1455660110530.jpg
100 KB, 465x342
>>54481023
>the technological revolution happened because of capitalism
>>
>>54481023
>fansites about their favorite cartoons,
>>
what emulators were you playing on that was in 1996???? SNES was just barely not being supported anymore and the N64 just came out...
>>
>>54482021
NES emulation. Mame was also a thing but had very spotty support and a low list of games playable.
>>
>>54481023
So you're saying that IT and computing got "hijacked" by capitalism? It was pure corporatism from the beginning.
And also, people can do much more with their iPhones now than they could have done with the flip phones earlier.
>>
>>54481023
Oh to be 14 and into Che Guevara again. Are you enjoying your summer vacation, son?
>>
>>54481023
You blame American culture when you should blame capitalist culture. Americans actually do have a culture separate from capitalism, it's just somewhat repressed right now.
>>
>>54482141
and for what OS? windows 95 just released.. and how were you downloading the roms and uploading them? that would of taken ages.
>>
File: 9a4.jpg (22 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
9a4.jpg
22 KB, 320x320
>>
>>54481023
>Computers, instead of being used for intellectual amplification (with everyone having free universal access to a massive body of knowledge, learning about the world, other cultures, science... in short, making themselves better people), have turned into mass surveillance-enabling, corporate-endorsed advertising and entertainment devices, dumbing down everyone's span of attention with 24/7 small instant gratifications.

Fucking normies REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54481023
>Computers have turned into entertainment devices
What the fuck did you expect? People had books, and it's not like the majority read technical books for fun. My coworker golfs and plays darts in his free time, did you expect some dumb fucker like that to use the Internet to learn about shit?
>>
>>54482671
>not knowing darts can be a gentleman sport like shooting, chess, and billiards
>>
>>54482680
>>not knowing darts can be a gentleman sport like shooting, chess, and billiards
Not when you're smoking and drinking the entire time.
>>
>>54482728
That's his personal fault. I think drug addicts suck too, though.
>>
>>54481023
>Sweeping Generalizations - The Thread
Just fuck off.
>>
Go back to lainchan with your commie cyberpunk LARPing
Sage
>>
File: safari-crash.png (6 KB, 575x133) Image search: [Google]
safari-crash.png
6 KB, 575x133
>>54481023
While I agree with you OP, we still have
>free universal access to a massive body of knowledge, learning about the world, other cultures, science

See
http://sci-hub.top/ - all scientific papers of humanity

http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ - almost all technical/non-fiction books ever written, and then some

https://btdigg.org/ - almost all torrents, books, games etc

My position is that it is our noblesse oblige (as technically capable persons) to help other citizens become better people. We can't make progress by shaming or ridiculing them, we should develop technology and culture that is easy to use and furthers our goals along the way.

Sadly, our computing culture is stuck in 1970s. All this C, unix, bash - they are scary for your average human, and technically they are outdated. This is literally previous millennium tech that is being regurgitated for decades because old programmers don't want create anything new. Crappy, outdated computing culture is one of the large factors that made 99.9% of population choose to become facebook zombies.

We can do better.
>>
>>54481023
You're absolutely right but most people will deny it because they're too stupid.

Cyberpunk is now start living it.
>>
>>54482979
>bash
>not sh
>not ksh

I do agree with your post though that we need a new OS that isn't Unix. However, any new OS needs to be terminal-oriented if it's to be anything more than a toy.
>>
File: Iblard-Jikan.jpg (703 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Iblard-Jikan.jpg
703 KB, 1920x1080
>>54482983
I hate cyberpunk. It was fun to read it back in the end of 90s, but is an incredibly bleak feel to live in it.

I'd like to see more Utopian literature/games and other content. We have all the technology necessary to build true utopia, but our society has lost all the inspiration for it.
>>
>>54483018
>However, any new OS needs to be terminal-oriented if it's to be anything more than a toy.

>New OS
>terminal oriented
>terminal
>oriented
>new
>OS

Anon, you seem a little confused
>>
File: 4Colours.jpg (310 KB, 718x874) Image search: [Google]
4Colours.jpg
310 KB, 718x874
>>54483018

> However, any new OS needs to be terminal-oriented if it's to be anything more than a toy.

I think a realistic compromise is that the OS should be REPL oriented. There should be no "special" crappy glue language, instead the main programming language should be good enough for everyday usage. Symbolics lisp machines and Smalltalk environments were good examples of this.

Going further, it is not inconceivable to have interfaces that understand speech and natural language (and allow you to do 90% of work with them, with rest 10% still being done in a conventional programming language). See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI

Also I like this description of OS design principles: http://www.loper-os.org/?p=284
>>
>>54481023

This has nothing to do with capitalism.
There is practically an infinite amount of knowledge at anyone's fingertips.
It's up to people if they decide to utilize it.
People just choose not to.

This is just the same as losing weight.
People don't have to be fat slobs, it's very simple to eat better foods and to exercise.
People just often choose not to, because it's not really that much fun and requires an actual effort.
This has nothing to do with culture, it's all about people and their natural tendency to seek comfort.
Like this anon said: >>54481144
Losers will always remain losers.
So go out there and make some money off them, it's has never been easier.
Utilize that online knowledge and learn a craft or a skill that you can sell yourself.
>>
I noticed you mentioned that 20 years ago, you think it was somehow different. It was always this way, companies exist to make money, tech companies exist to make tech money. You were just a kid at the time and can't remember it properly. Nostalgia is cancer. Fuck off and find some obscure BBS with 5-8 people who "get it" and waste a few more decades
>>
>>54483164
/THREAD

op doesn't understand capitalism in the slightest
>>
this is a poor quality shitpost
>>
>he thought cyberpunk was a meme
It's your coffin, now get in.
>>
>>54483164
That's a classical free will debate. When I was younger I believed that humans are much stronger and smarter than they really are, so its really their fault when they make the wrong choice. But then I learned about neuroscience of addiction and our primal instincts, and I see that big companies exploit these all the time. Humans are weak beings, we should protect them from bad actors.

Facebook uses cutting-edge (literally: they have newest algorithms and ~100 of vest PhDs) machine learning techniques to make you hooked to its Feed. How can one tiny man make a decision for himself when a giant 100B valued corporation pushes him in another direction?

If we don't want to turn into a species of addicts we should regulate this shit, this is going too far.
>>
>>54483163

Yeah, but we also need non-crappy architectures to run the OS on. Architectures that have HLL as first class citizens. I have a hunch that most complexity in todays OS' stems from the fact they have to run on architectures from the 70's.
>>
>>54483230

So capitalism is when you can addict people into buying your harmful shit? This is burger capitalism, we don't have such things in Europe.
>>
>>54483302
RISCV seems good enough. Simple and just werks.

HLL features seem to overcomplicate hardware, we should simplify it instead (see http://www.greenarraychips.com/ for example).
>>
>>54483319
No, that's called capitalism.
Only anarchism can free us from capitalism.
>>
>>54483357
>HLL features seem to overcomplicate hardware

But simplify software, which is the point
>>
>>54483319
>when you can addict people into buying your harmful shit
>we don't have such things in Europe.

lol you can legally buy heroine in Europe
>>
>>54483389
>strawman

There is a whole multidimensional set of alternatives to burger crony capitalism, for example european social democracy + responsive capitalism isn't that bad, it makes people happy and less stressed.
>>
>>54483429
Where? Just curious...
>>
>>54483429
you can't
>>
Capitalism always hijacks everything.
the goal is to make money, it doesn't care about anything else.

Dumping waste in the river to save yourself the eco fees ? Hail capitalism !
>>
>>54483527
>Dumping waste in the river to save yourself the eco fees ? Hail capitalism !

That's China
>>
>>54483571
nah happens here too.
It won't take long to find the dick that dumps his used car oil in a place it doesn't belong.

The area they might be polluting doesn't directly affect him, so fuck it, right ?
>>
>>54481023
lol tl;dr
>>
Yes, capitalism is evil and leads to destruction, just look at the thriving USSR compared to our shitty United States.
>>
>>54483686
>nah happens here too.

not on the same scale, be serious
>>
>>54483278
>we must protect the poor retards from their bad decisions
>being this much of a communist
>>
>>54483717
Just look at the thriving Sweden.
>>
>>54483717
He's not mad about capitalism, mate. He's mad because he erroneously thinks he's smarter than everyone else but there aren't any echos in his echo chamber or huggies in his hugbox.
>>
>>54483760
Honestly Norway and Denmark do pretty well with similar policies, except they didn't go full retard with immigration.

These are much smaller economies though.
>>
>>54483739
US emits 3x CO2 more per capita than China: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?order=wbapi_data_value_2011+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-first&sort=desc

1st worlders really consume too much, it wastes too much energy and resources. Why are they so entitled to this lifestyle?
>>
>>54483795
Because nobody can stop us.
>>
>>54483278

I totally understand where you're coming from, but you're never going to "cure" these people of their addictions.
You're not going to protect them in any way by banning this sort of manipuation.
It's imposible because they're basically functioning on a level, where they'll just latch onto the next thing others are going for and call it a day.
They don't even want to be free of addictions.
They probably aren't even wired on a biological level to be free of them.

I firmly believe that people who aren't self aware, will never be the ones who are creating content for others to enjoy.
You need to be able to think if you're to create something, you need to be critical of your own work, you need to be aware of what you're doing.
People who get addicted to shit like facebook and go and buy the next thing commercials tell them to buy, aren't self aware.
They go with the flow and succumb to peer pressure super easily and I don't believe that the society has to go and hold their hand, to keep them from doing retarded shit, like buying new iPhones every damn year.
It's their decision.
And it wouldn't even matter if you cut in and prevented them from doing so.
If they're not buying new iPhones or CPUs every 8 months, then they're going to be doing something as retarded with their money.

Bottom line is that you're not going to turn the masses into something productive and intelligent, because it requires a lot of work on their part too and they don't want to do it.
They're not interested in bettering themselves in any way and no one can force or inspire them to do so.
>>
File: spurdo_burger_mentality.png (58 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
spurdo_burger_mentality.png
58 KB, 853x543
>>54483813
>Theaverage American experiences over an hour of TV adverts a day. Of course this is only an average, imagine what a really good American could manage.
>>
>>54483319
"addict people into buying your harmful shit"

1st. you're an idiot
2nd. people can buy w/e the fuck they want to buy.
3rd. don't want something don't fucking buy it.
4th. america is not capitalist.
5th. the beauty of capitalism is this and simply this, two men making an agreement should not have to ask permission from a third man, and any one man should be able to control his property any way he see's fit, so long as he doesn't harm someone else.

>>54483527
in a capitalist society the people dumping waste in your river would either
A. have to pay you
B. go to jail, or die fighting the authorities
>>
>>54483774
this
>>
>>54483827
Only answer is to get off your ass and make money off of these people.
>>
>>54483853
Isn't the 5th thing in that list libertarianism
>>
File: 1437690666258.gif (765 KB, 350x249) Image search: [Google]
1437690666258.gif
765 KB, 350x249
>>54483850
I notice instead of refuting my argument you just shitposted instead.
>>
>>54483278
Who the fuck are you to decide what another person gets access to and how a person uses the tech he creates.

Do you somehow believe you deserve to live in a world where others are not free to like and use facebook excessively if they so choose?

and you're willing to regulate (tell a business owner we'll use guns against you if you don't do as we say with YOUR business) to get what you want?
>>
>>54483795
and also 8x more productive
>>
>>54483853
>People who get addicted to shit like facebook and go and buy the next thing commercials tell them to buy, aren't self aware.

If you thing you are invincible to manipulation, you are grossly overestimating yourself anon. You are manipulated everyday, and it's only a question of time till they find an ultimate trigger that'll make you give them all the money. It could target some mating instinct or something like that (look like japanese otakus get addicted to anime and related products).

People are weak, it's human nature.
>>
>>54483774

/thread
>>
>>54481023
man ur country sure is a special snowflak xd
>>
>>54483827
>They're not interested in bettering themselves in any way and no one can force or inspire them to do so.

This is obvious to everyone but the most supreme autists (or utopists). Alan Kay is still trying to create computer platforms for expanding the human intellect. The poor sod does not seem (or want?) to realize that people just don't care about learning. They don't. They may care about getting a degree and that normie job, but that's it.
>>
>>54483164
This anon is right. I've been learning about wealth building and I'm about to go use my knowledge to potentially seal a deal worth $10,000, that will finish by the end of the month
>>
>>54483884
It's pure capitalism, a true free market economy. Our government stops a true market economy by ensuring that producers label and or make their products safe for our consumption or use.
>>
>>54483278
>we should protect them
>we should regulate this
Authoritarian Millennial shitstains, ladies and gentleman.
>think what we tell you to think
>do what we tell you to do
>>
>>54481023
>For example, Japan has lost its unique feature-filled flip phones to iPhones.
Nigger you're dumb if you think flip phones are better than what we have now.

> Contemporary French or German music are closer to Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga than to their own music from a few decades ago.
Like what? The Scorpions? ABBA?

> A young kid could find fansites about their favorite cartoons, emulators for playing games, forums to discuss or just have fun with people from all around the world...
How are things any different now?
>>
>>54483959
ok, and? if they do so what? The option always remains to leave these behind, and if we choose not to, that's on us. No one is forcing us to use facebook except for us
>>
>>54484042
there it is
>>
File: 1460329391768-4.png (18 KB, 1097x531) Image search: [Google]
1460329391768-4.png
18 KB, 1097x531
>>54483936
>>54483853
>the beauty of capitalism is this and simply this, two men making an agreement should not have to ask permission from a third man, and any one man should be able to control his property any way he see's fit, so long as he doesn't harm someone else.

I find it ironic that libertarians have this nice concept of being responsible for harming others, but choose to downplay harming others via externalities. If you make a coal electric power plant, you start to dump CO2 (which is detrimental to human health and is slowly cooking us alive) and carbon microparticles incl. radioactive ones (which shorten lifespan, cause lung health problems) into the atmosphere. You should pay all the people for that harm, yet you and Koch bros don't do it (^:

And then we continue by noting that libertarianism and modern american crony capitalism with huge military spending are quite different systems.

>>54483951
If you measure productiveness by burgers consumed and making digital derivatives of diverse hedged ETFs "created" then yes.
>>
>>54483437
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaäaaa
>>
>>54484063
>ok, and? if they do so what?

Then we study humans and decide on limits of addictive stimuli companies are allowed to present to them without their consent. Something like that has been done with hard drugs long ago (without optional consent though).

>The option always remains to leave these behind, and if we choose not to, that's on us.
That's inhumane, it's not my choice.
>>
>>54483872

Pretty much this.
Because if you won't, then someone else will and this situation isn't going to change.

I'm selling art on a daily basis and this is the easiest money I've ever made.
I don't even have to get off my ass to sell things to people on the other side of this planet.
And the people are happy to consume the products I give them.
I'm happy, they're happy, world goes around.
And if I'm not there to sell art for them, then they'll just buy it from somewhere else and no one can stop them from doing so.

>>54483973

Easiest way to realize this, is to watch some weight loss shows.
Even when the personal trainers hold people's hands nearly 100% of the time and give them optimal conditions to better themselves in every way and show a way to better life, they fight against their trainers and cheat.
And if by some miracle they manage to lose the weight, they often gain it back, because in reality they give zero shits about being healthy and putting in the effort of maintaining that body.
Most of them just want to eat,watch TV or play some Call of Duty, or whatever the hell people are into nowadays.
>>
>>54484094
try to laugh when you get ill without health insurance, burger. Or when your employer will dump you because you had cancer in the past (so you have higher prob. of having big medical expenses). Even if you are healthy now, you will inevitably get ill later in your life.

Enjoy freedum while it lasts, burger (^:

>paying 86 000 $ for hepatitis medication
>>
>>54484139
>le retard who doesn't know private health insurance exists
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>54484139
Im laughing at the idea of social democracies in the time of muslim mass immigration. Those ponzy shemes will crash very soon and it wont be nice.
>>
File: zuck_potato_knishes.jpg (65 KB, 1000x452) Image search: [Google]
zuck_potato_knishes.jpg
65 KB, 1000x452
>>54483872
Hello, Zuckershlomo!
>>
In an economy that wasn't capitalist, computers would be used to spy on a lot more than just your purchasing habits. Don't agree with everything dear leader says? Gulags for you, Anon.
>>
>>54484182
You don't have to take in mudslimes though. Or you could take them and push them into working (or deport them).
>>
>>54483437
that Spanish youth 50% unemployed sure is happy.
>>
>>54484139

Your problem here is that you believe you inherently deserve access to w/e medical methods will keep you from dying.

You don't have a right to live for free, if a group of doctors don't want to operate on you because you can't afford to give them something that makes their time spent helping you worth it (money) then you die, I'm sorry.

Your european government will gladly point guns at people who have what doctors want (money), take the money from those people, and then tell them how much they're allowed to charge, to save your life
>>
File: 1462152164534.png (869 KB, 1024x1240) Image search: [Google]
1462152164534.png
869 KB, 1024x1240
>>54481023
>revolution
>edgy pic

>edgy capitalism hating
>edgy wall of text about attention spans and assorted other "in their nature" fedoracore beliefs

No, you won't get a free trip to college. Just fuck off you underaged faggot, you have no idea how politics and the Internet works in the slightest.
>>
>>54484108
>Most of them just want to eat,watch TV or play some Call of Duty, or whatever the hell people are into nowadays.

Another thing to realize is that people in today's enviroment are overstimulated. Our brain and body didn't evolve in an enviroment of cheap, and always available carbs, video games, smartphones, porn etc. Most people just don't have the antibodies for this kind of stuff. Me too, since I'm quite addicted to shitposting.
>>
>>54484171
>optimistic burger thinks he will have $ to pay for his medical insurance forever
>>
>>54484218
Current system has worst traits of authoritarianism and capitalism. Intel ME is already spying on you and US govt already dumps tens of billions $, if not more, into alphabet soup agencies.

You don't even have to make backups anymore, it's all in the utah datacenter lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center
>>
>>54484218
false dichotomy.
>>
>>54484242
>thinking I'm OP-kun
I only visit /g/ once in a month, and this time I happened to see this thread.

>wall of text
have you taken you ADHD meds, anon?

>special burgers with adhd medication in the sauce
>>
>>54483302
>I have a hunch that most complexity in todays OS' stems from the fact they have to run on architectures from the 70's.
Architectures from the 70's are simple. It's everything that was bolted on afterwards that's complicated.
>>
>>54484309
>being this autistic and edgy to the point where at least formatting your opinions is "ADHD"

Its very obvious that you have some degree of autism. Judging from your blind hatred of commonalities you have spent some time on reddit or tumblr as well. The best option is to purge yourself from the earth before you reproduce.
>>
>>54483163
>Symbolics lisp machines

>Later desktop computers built by Apple and IBM would also offer a simpler and more popular architecture to run LISP applications on. By 1987 they had become more powerful than the more expensive Lisp machines. The desktop computers had rule-based engines such as CLIPS available.[28] These alternatives left consumers with no reason to buy an expensive machine specialized for running LISP. An entire industry worth half a billion dollars was replaced in a single year.[29]
>>
>>54484323
I just want automatic bounds checking and other similar niceties, that's all.
>>
>>54484331
I'm quite the opposite from autistic type of person, I tend to empathize with other people. That's why I agree with OP that we are using tech to do wrong things and we should use it more responsibly.

It's just that my perspective is quite different from yours because I live on the other side of the globe and english isn't even my native language.

>We have created a Star Wars civilization, with Stone Age emotions, medieval institutions, and godlike technology.
>>
>>54484366
You can do it at language VM level. Though adding this into LD ST instructions shouldn't be hard, I agree.

>>54484354
I like smalltalk machines even more than lisp ones, they are more visual and simpler to use.
>>
>>54484354
I remember a movie where they show a 3d subdivision modeling program on a lisp machine. I doubt that PCs in the late 80's where in the same ballpark.
>>
>>54484366
You could get that in x86 if everything was in its own segment. AMD gimped segments when they made AMD64.
>>
>>54484238
That's the cancerous mentality us europeans hate so much in americans. Doctors will always get paid since it's socialized healthcare. And yes, people deserve to live, regardless of their fucking income you fucking retard.
>>
>>54481023
You know what the worst fucking thing about all this is? People like you.

People like you who spent probably 30 fucking minutes writing a post that basically amounts of juvenoia and nostalgia fucking. No one give a flying fucking shit about how much better you think yesterday was compared to today, and no one thinks you're fucking smart for pointing out an obvious trend. Show me a solution and I will be impressed, got one? No I didn't fucking think so.

Now fuck off and go post your shit on Facebook you fucking pleb, at least then you will be with your own kind and they can all nod their heads and thumbs up your comment like the ditto heads you are.

No one here is impressed fucking retard.
>>
File: 1460329574351-2.jpg (179 KB, 997x655) Image search: [Google]
1460329574351-2.jpg
179 KB, 997x655
>>54484238

>Your european government will gladly point guns at people who have what doctors want (money), take the money from those people, and then tell them how much they're allowed to charge, to save your life

Again I find it ironic how you start talking like a libertarian while not acknowledging that american healthcare system is very far away from being libertarian: there is a guild of doctors, the AMA, that actively lobbies the government to create artificial scarcity of certified medical talent. Government creates laws and institutions that forbid to do medical practice if you don't jump through all their regulatory hoops. This is as anti-libertarian as it gets.

Also note that burgers pay around the same amount of taxes as europeans do (>50%), but burgers don't get government-provded healthcare and education in exchange for that.

Compared to that I find European single-payer healthcare and (almost) free higher education a much better compromise of public and private interest.
>>
>>54484579
I mean less than 50%, around 30-40% total tax rate.
>>
>>54484518

>People like you who spent probably 30 fucking minutes writing a post that basically amounts of juvenoia and nostalgia fucking.

I don't think OP-kun is afraid of the new generation, he is afraid of how silicon valley unicorn companies zombify the masses. And the masses choose to be zombified instead of pirating and reading textbooks from libgen. It is really scary because this process is inherently unprecedented at such scale, and we don't know if it is even possible to return from this state.

>Show me a solution and I will be impressed, got one? No I didn't fucking think so.

Raise public awareness and create culture that rewards self-improvement. Do it by posting on internet forums and create appropriately-themed websites.
>>
>>54481023
But if you're an old fag with experience from the old internet you can still find today fan sites and wikipedias for your shit... sure a kid will not be so fortunate - instead of finding his favorite tv show wiki he'll find rule 34 of it or other forms of degeneracy.
>>
>>54481023
> we truly live in dank times
>>
>>54484681
My point is that there is threads about this very fucking topic every fucking week and most of them are even better written than this one. I am tired of it, put up or shut up I say.

You are going to make completely non-self-aware air headed idiots pay attention to something? The girls only care about looking attractive to be fucked, and the guys only care about being douche bags to be fucked. Part of the reason we see so many Trans people in this business is because they can't focus on either of those two things and therefore have more time to ponder and gain insight.

juvenoia is not the fear of young people, it is the fear of what young people are doing is somehow wrong. It's the reason fathers are freaked out that their kids aren't growing up exactly like they did.
>>
>>54484793

>Part of the reason we see so many Trans people in this business is because they can't focus on either of those two things and therefore have more time to ponder and gain insight.

You're actually probably not that far off, anon.... although I think just the impersonal nature of the internet and computers have more to do with it too.
>>
>>54484793
>the guys only care about being douche bags to be fucked
if they want to be *fucked*, don't they take care about their bodies and become cute boys? :3
>>
>>54484793
>You are going to make completely non-self-aware air headed idiots pay attention to something?

Yup, with ads. Lots of them. If you have this ubiquitous invasive ad pushing system, why not use it for good? Imagine how many good behavioral patterns could be imprinted..
>>
>>54484839
I would agree with that assessment which is why I said "part of the reason" actually that was the other reason I was thinking about when I wrote that comment.

>>54484896
Yeah, I made a mistake. I should have said "want to fuck".
>>
>>54484242
I don't think any of what I wrote was edgy. They're my sincere thoughts about what I observe.

I'm aware that the masses have been historically dumb, but we have the opportunity to improve ourselves like never before and instead it appears we're heading for the opposite direction at a rather disturbing pace. As some anon has already said, the degree to which human instincts are being exploited due to technology is just sad.
>>
>>54484926
Why not attack the school system then? Get them while they're young not old and stubborn, just like when you break in a horse.
>>
>>54484947
>I'm aware that the masses have been historically dumb, but we have the opportunity to improve ourselves like never before and instead it appears we're heading for the opposite direction at a rather disturbing pace.

This. There is so much untapped potential to use tech to develop people. We have all the data, textbooks, papers we could ever need, and quite a lot of software. If only we could present it in an alluring manner..
>>
>>54484242
>No, you won't get a free trip to college.
I don't understand why Americans are hung up on freedom and meritocracy, and yet, they see nothing wrong in their ridiculous tuition fees.
Where I live, I go to a nice public university for like 10€ a year because I'm a poorfag. The middle-class kids pay something like 300-400€, which isn't that much if your parents are comfortable financially-wise.
And to me, that's meritocracy. Because in the end, I will only pass my exams if I am as smart as my wealthier classmates. Sure, the rich goes to prestigious private school, but public university degrees are not worthless.
It's not a meritocracy if only the rich can afford a decent education, and the poor are doomed to flip burgers all their life, whenever they are smart or dumb as shit.
>>
>>54485233
I don't understand why Americans are ok with paying taxes almost as large as in Europe, but not getting healthcare and education in return. A nation of cvckolds.
>>
>>54481023
>hijacked

No, it just gave people another outlet to do what they please. You can use the internet or any technology for constructive purposes, just like you could with a car. Or you could use the internet to browse meme sites and collect meme images, like how you could waste time learning how to pop wheelies with a pickup truck.
>>
>>54484478
really? they do? tell that to mother fucking nature ass wipe, you don't get to force me to help you to live, that's called slavery dick wipe. You want me to help you live? pay me bitch.
>>
>>54485596
The tax funded universal healthcare will pay for your work. There's no slavery, retard. Keep letting your compatriots die though, surely it is the greatest freedom there will ever be in america. Your ideology is cancer.
>>
>have turned into mass surveillance-enabling
stopped reading there
>>
I'm anti-capitalist but OP's post is dumb.
>>
>>54483278
the only thing hooking me to facebook is dank fucking memes made by teenagers on weekday afternoons for the sake of likes and emotes.
>>
>>54482396
It will continue being repressed you fucking faggot. Go lick your boyfriends balls in moscow fag.
>>
>>54485838
>the only thing hooking me to facebook is dank fucking memes
>do you even 24/7 instant gratification bro?
>>
>>54483319
>so capitalism is when I'm a faggot and I cry real loud. we don't have any straight men in europe. that's why our women are being gang raped while we cheer the savages on
>>
>>54485838
Hah! Of course FB's algo shows you them because it infers you will like 'em from your profile.

>>54485793
plz elaborate.
>>
>>54485875
>moscow
>gays
lel

>>54485932
h e l l o
/ p o l /
>>
File: techwave.jpg (110 KB, 550x458) Image search: [Google]
techwave.jpg
110 KB, 550x458
>>54484931

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I also think social anxiety/dysfunction is probably another major effect, which I know happens a lot with trans people due to the whole disconnect with people gender-wise. ;_;

I actually like these kind of threads, although they are kinda fedora autismo and teenage edge, it's good being reminded of the power that we can use through the internet that everyone seems to have decided to use on time-draining wastes of time (however profitable they might be) or just take for granted.

I still think there's a big disconnect between superficial users (consumers) and people who are knowledgeable and can actually use the internet or technology to it's full potency (producers), and it does no one any good to use 4chan tactics of REEEEing the divide. In the sci-fi utopias we're talking about, we don't have technologically illiterate chads struggling to use their powerful futuristic devices, but rather an entire population of productive members that can utilize the internet to create beautiful things or better the world. Instead, the internet today is a bastardized, exploited version of that fantasy where everyone mashes on dumbed-down mass-friendly guis to create content that is time-consuming without much value. The whole web 2.0 model does try to promote "good" content to as much people as possible, but the web 2.0's definition of "good" is flawed when human nature tends to the short, gratifying over the meaningful and substantial.

I don't believe the solution is to make the meaningful and substantial as appealing as the short and gratifying, as you'll always be outpaced, but rather by encouraging a spirit of growth, learning and self-betterment where we can get out of this self-fueled pit of "cheap" content and actually do something with the oppportunity we all have been given for once.

There's probably my wall of text for the day, but I have an english exam is coming up so I guess it's good practice
>>
>>54485966
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruTu8MhSdR4
>>
File: sony.jpg (98 KB, 637x470) Image search: [Google]
sony.jpg
98 KB, 637x470
>>54481023
>20 years ago, the internet was a place to explore and discover. A young kid could find fansites about their favorite cartoons, emulators for playing games, forums to discuss or just have fun with people from all around the world...
op please... im getting sad now

>you will never experience the truly free wild wild west digital landscape of late 90's-early 00's internet again
>>
>instead of being used for
You're capable of using the internet however you like. Sites exist for the purpose of education, and you have an easy platform to expand everyone else's opportunities too.

Anyway, most people are dumb and uninterested in actually educating themselves. It would have turned out like this, minus the advertising, without profit motives too.
>>
File: 4chan.png (64 KB, 1024x398) Image search: [Google]
4chan.png
64 KB, 1024x398
>>54486572
>educating themselves
>hu-hu-hu-huh faggot! nigger! hu-hu-hu-hu-huh
>>
>>54481023
Even though /g/ is basically /pol/+desktop ricing, I agree with you. The internet and technology were just used so that some people could make more money than others. By every metric and prediction, we were supposed to be working less and getting paid more than it cost to live. Instead, hours never decreased past 40 a week, with most salaried tech jobs in SV and other high profile areas expecting you to work more via work place amenities or work from home programs. The average salary never outgrew cost of living. Technology didn't act as an equalizer between landed aristocrats and workers, and the computing revolution didn't raise people up to the level of large, multi national businesses. Instead, we exchanged a hard limit on physical stress for increasing-without-bound amounts of emotional and mental stress and work. Every serious economist predicted that by this point we'd only be working a few hours a week unless we wanted to do more on our own, because machines and computers would handle the rest. Now it seems that small groups of people use large amounts of technology to exponentially grow their capital and productivity, while everyone else does the same amount of work as before but of a different type.

At least we have internet porn :•)
>>
File: lelel.jpg (68 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
lelel.jpg
68 KB, 500x281
>>54483774
D A M N
A
M
N
SON

B R U T A L
R
U
T
A
L

T A K E D O W N
A
K
E
D
O
W
N
>>
>>54485717
One of those people who believe that paid by taxes means "free shit", taxation is theft.

when the lords come around and take a percentage of your livelihood to live off, that's serfdom, serfdom is slavery, slavery is wrong
>>
File: paul_ryan:_a_fellow_kid.jpg (81 KB, 397x397) Image search: [Google]
paul_ryan:_a_fellow_kid.jpg
81 KB, 397x397
>>54487719
Don't worry, buddy. We know what it's like to be 16.

You'll grow out of this.
>>
>>54485717
>compatriots
I don't have to give a flying fuck about my "compatriots". That's the beauty of being an American, I'm actually free.
>>
File: sadpenn.jpg (92 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
sadpenn.jpg
92 KB, 330x330
>>54487860
>I don't care about other people
>this makes me """""free"""""
>>
>>54487962
It literally does.

Not an argument, by the way.
>>
>>54487979
You can't say something is "not an argument" just because it hurts your feelings.
>>
>>54488080
Still no argument, huh?

Ok then. Let me know if that changes.
>>
>>54488115
And you keep up the misanthropic memes, kiddo.
>>
File: 1437691051554.gif (983 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1437691051554.gif
983 KB, 500x364
>>54488123
Okie dokie! Gotcha!
>>
America destroys everything it touches
>>
File: 1460915006312.jpg (61 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1460915006312.jpg
61 KB, 431x450
>>54481023
I blame American "culture"
>>
>>54488205
>implying that's a bad thing
You mudshits have to pulled into the present somehow.
>>
>>54481023
>Capitalism has hijacked the technological revolution
Good. Instead the computers would only be used to calculate welfare for Syrian refugees
>>
Too bad people take america much more seriously than it should be taken. America could have dumbed down its people, spied on them as much as they wanted, destroy anything it could for the sake of profit, but the rest of the world didn't have to emulate its failures out of fear/extortion/political terrorism/etc.

They should have come together and told those fat fucks to fuck off. Sadly the opposite has been done and 'murica will stay afloat on the backs of people long gone whilst keeping everybody at their stagnant has-been level with them for as long as they can.
>>
File: 3.jpg (2 KB, 121x94) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
2 KB, 121x94
>>54488818
Still at it huh?
>>
>>54482979

This is a fallacy. The same principles we used in physics, accounting, astronomy, etc have almost always been based on mathematics that are considered "old". And the reason theyre so old is because theyre so robust. Theres a REASON that TCP/IP is still used, for very specific reasons. One, its fucking stupid to remake the wheel when technology is utilized for business, and innovation = investment = cost. Two, these systems have been refined to be as robust as possible. Its not like they arbitrarily just decided to keep using Windows 98 for most POS systems.
>>
>>54481023
>fansites about their favorite cartoons
>emulators for playing games
>forums to discuss or just have fun with people
All of these things are still on the internet you degenerate fucking retard. Both Unix and Arpanet were originally made with military grade shit in mind.

Nobody gives a shit about you. The only time capitalism gets in the way is when a company has so much money they can afford to lobby congress to squash competition. People are doing exactly what they want to, and you listed things that you want to do, and can still do, and you are upset because not everyone wants to do what you want to do.

>Japan has lost its unique feature-filled flip phones to iPhones.
Nobody gives a shit. You talk about how much you hate capitalism but right here you sound like you're upset cause things aren't as 'stylish' as they used to be. Are you perhaps completely fucking retarded?
>>
>>54481023
You made a business model that prides in quality, long-lasting products financially infeasible by your constant destruction of perfectly good, working hardware in the name of "progress" because you were too impatient to put up with an extra second of site loading times, to spoiled to lose a few imperceptible frames in a video game, or were too lazy to walk ten feet over to the other room and watch movies on a television with a DVD player.

You made privacy violating business models viable by living through the internet and giving away your information to anyone who asks. When businesses started to take notice, you idly stood by while media giants like Google raped the internet, only interrupting with an occasional grunt and a wadded up, mediocre dollar store GPL napkin "alternative" to help the victims temporarily keep some of their backs semen-free.

Instead of taking advantage of the romanticized sum of human knowledge you complain nobody takes advantage of, you waste away on /v/'s water cooler arguing about whether or not solid state storage technologies are "memes" and what video card makes the latest games go the fastest for the least money, occasionally taking a break to jerk your fellow pseudo-intellectuals off in a "Friendly Linux Thread" or get up on an ivory soapbox and lecture everyone about how "capitalism hijacked my perfect '90s kid paradise", but you're better than that. It's just the Americans and their "culture" that ruined it, not the millions of others who spawned billion-dollar markets with their equally mindless consumption.

I really hate this delusional shithole sometimes.
>>
File: msidiotexplosion.png (57 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
msidiotexplosion.png
57 KB, 512x512
>>54481023
wuhahahahahaha worra loada shit!
for a start the USA was not the originator of any of this CONSUMER technology. At first it was the British who made the first analogue and digital computers. Then Japan said it would spend 33% of its annual budget developing such technologies to sell to the rest of the world. After that the Chinkylands started getting involved, and then the USA brought in a bunch of homosexuals to make it all look nice so girls and gays would buy it
>>
>>54491017

>then the USA brought in a bunch of homosexuals to make it all look nice so girls and gays would buy it

That's OP's point.

As for the development of the modern internet, you're being deliberately deceitful if you are attempting to argue that DARPA funding wasn't the catalyst.
>>
lol

Computers where made for mass surveillance and demographic policies from the very beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabulating_machine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust

All this shit about
>intellectual amplification (with everyone having free universal access to a massive body of knowledge, learning about the world, other cultures, science...

is just memes and urban myths

In fact it's humans who are the problem, they are just evil and primitive beings because of bilogical reasons, no technology will ever change that.
>>
>>54491201

That computers were used for malicious (or beneficial, depending on your perspective) reasons makes them no different than any other human tool.

Furthermore, tabulating machines are as relevant to the modern computers as wheelbarrows are to cars.
>>
all these fucking replies to a pasta
>>
>>54491289

>posted on a board whose threads are 70% "my [consumer brand] is better than yours"
>>
File: asdfvg.png (124 KB, 421x423) Image search: [Google]
asdfvg.png
124 KB, 421x423
>>54481897
It will be it's own undoing
>>
Its all about how you use it mate, everything can be turned against you if you chose to be ignorant and cucked (content with something even if it fucks you just to be in your bubble)
>>
Blaming capitalism is pointless, what you should do is blame yourself. Deny yourself all the pointless but entertaining distractions.
>>
>>54481897

It never would have happened without the billions invested by the government in the early years. Besides direct government funding, IBM was practically subsidized by government contracts until the 1970s.

No company would have ever provided the necessary initial investment until there was proven demand. This is why you see government subsidized IBM dominate the early years, and only after the market matured did you see competitors enter the market.

The western countries have been a mix of socialism and capitalism for decades now. To ignore the role that states play in provoking and incubating inventions and success is a very silly error to make.
>>
>>54481023

Fuck off you filthy commie, capitalism is the driving force behind technological advancement.

Fucking idiot. How much technological advancement are North Korea and Cuba pushing out?

Fucking commie faggot. Get the fuck out of my county.
>>
>>54487018
>By every metric and prediction, we were supposed to be working less and getting paid more than it cost to live. Instead, hours never decreased past 40 a week, with most salaried tech jobs in SV and other high profile areas expecting you to work more via work place amenities or work from home programs.
> Now it seems that small groups of people use large amounts of technology to exponentially grow their capital and productivity, while everyone else does the same amount of work as before but of a different type.

This. But the alt-right and /pol/tards don't want to work less, because freedom. They want the freedom to be a wage slave. They fell for the American dream meme.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are actually NEETs who never worked once in their life, and still think their opinions on work are in any way relevant.

>>54491482
>If you are criticizing neoliberal capitalism, that automatically means you are an authoritarian Marxist-Leninist.
Chill out, grampa, the Cold War is over.
>>
>>54481023

A) It's not culture per se, and certainly not "muh evil capitalism." It's average IQ.

B) Some of your examples that you believe are so sophisticated are pleb shit. "Feature filled" flip phones were replaced by iPhone and Android because the latter kick ass. They are also a hell of a lot better for reading/researching while mobile, and your first complaint was that people aren't using computers for "muh knowledge!"
>>
>>54491445
>It never would have happened without the billions invested by the government in the early years.
Do you have any proof? You can't have because for that you'd need an alternative universe where the government didn't buy any IBM contracts or subsidize it.

>No company would have ever provided the necessary initial investment until there was proven demand.
Do you understand what kind of rabbit hole this type of thinking leads to? There are endless amounts of technologies which only if they had more funding could maybe become breakthroughs. It's easy to say that hey look at IBM now, it was totally worth it. Worth it compared to what? What if the same amount of money was used on some other technology, for example to develop fusion energy. What if we had fusion energy now instead of fat complacent IBM? There is even a saying in government "nobody ever got fired for buying ibm". I can't believe people are still defending them.
>>
>>54491981

>do you have any proof

The lack of funding outside the government at the time is all the proof you need. No business could reasonably say "lets invest billions of dollars into this new industry that we don't even know if we'll even be able to monetize within 20 years." We need governments to take these risks and direct the capital that otherwise wouldn't be there for projects like this.

>defending ibm

I'm not. I'm simply showing that it wasn't capitalism that brought about the technology revolution. It was direct government investment and government contracts.
>>
>>54491759

>wage slave

A wolf will have to wake up at 5:00 by its own hunger, shit and piss to get rid of excess weight, fight a mountain lion to get to a river and get a drink, then run around all fucking day chasing animals faster than it in order to eat their bare flesh, if it's lucky enough to catch one it has to defend it from anyone else who would try and take it by force.
And it doesn't stop there. After it gets to eat, it goes back to its pack, fights other males and risks possibly life threatening injury simply to try and belong in the pack and has to beat the strongest one of them merely for the chance to breed.
If it gets to big of a scratch then the wolf dies of infection, if it breaks a leg or sometimes even a toe, it's as good as dead. A stomach ache can last for days and there's no cure for it in the forest but grass. If it's lucky enough it will have been born with the genetic strength to survive this environment, at least until it gets to breed.

All life is born into suffering, nothing is guaranteed and no purpose will ever be given. The only choice you ever get is survival or nonexistence.

And you think you have audacity to complain about forcing yourself to eat? In a system that grants you the ability to survive by spending 8 hours pushing buttons?

You. Fucking. Disgrace.
>>
>>54492080
nice strawhat
>>
>>54492080

That is a fine analogy, but it doesn't consider that the top 1% of wolves own 40% of the food, and earn that food through no labor of their own. Or that the bottom 50% of wolves are forced to fight over 5% of the food.

The system is rigged in such a way that class mobility is the lowest its been in 70 years. If you are born poor, you're probably going to die poor, regardless of your efforts.
>>
>>54492131
>but it doesn't consider that the top 1% of wolves own 40% of the food
but they do. guess what happened to the other 99% of wolves
ill give you a hint. it starts with d. and ends with ead.
>>
>>54492144

Wolves are actually pack animals who look out for their own. Humans could learn a thing or two.
>>
>>54492080
Wow, I didn't realize wolves were becoming self aware and developing technologies to ease their lives. What are they gonna do next, genetically engineer crops that can grow anywhere without any intervention? Or do you think they'll build farming robots to grow food for them?
>>
>>54492131

>class mobility

100 years ago the poor were stuck in the same villages, working at 12 in farms and barely educated. They had fun by fucking sheep and drinking to excess until they died at 45.

Now the poor shitpost on 4chan how it's not fair that people have more money than them, while they get government benefits and eat hot pockets.

You want to see real poverty? Go to non-western non-capitalist countries, see how Somalia or North Korea treat their peasants.

>Wahhhh but some rich guy has loads of money and I should have some too

Who gives a shit?

You should thank God for capitalism every day of your lives, you filthy hypocritical communists.
>>
>>54481023
Capitalism itself was destroyed by imperialism, when the companies got the right to buy the death of the competition.
So capitalism did nothing wrong, except dying out for corruption.
>>
>>54481069
>engendered
This sadly

i guess its returning from whence it came
>>
>>54492080
On the other hand a clamshell or a tree just sits in one place and has resources coming to it naturally. Nature can produce quite pleasurable lifestyles it seems (^:
>>
>>54492169

Corporate welfare by way of tax "incentives" and subsidies actually cost the government more than social welfare.

The rich 100 years ago didn't have electricity and frequently died of infection. What's your point? Everyone's lives have improved over the last hundred years.

The last time wealth was so unevenly distributed was immediately prior to the Great Depression. There is no economic benefit to starving the poor while flooding the rich with money to speculate with.

Social mobility might not be important to you, but it is essentially "The American Dream." When social mobility is high, the productive members of society are rewarded and the poor are motivated. When social mobility is low, the wealthy stay wealthy regardless of productivity and the poor have no incentive to work.

It was actually the labor movements that created the middle class industrialized countries, which created the demand for goods, which lead to move investment, which lead to the advancements you mentioned. If people in industrialized coubties were still barely educated and working for pennies a day, there would be no internet, muchless electricity.
>>
>>54491273
Exactly. That's why complaints like in OP or >>54487018 are so ridiculous. All the technologies in capitalist societies can only exist by default under one supreme priority which is the accumulation of capital.

We were never supposed to be working less and getting paid more than it cost to live. The capitalist were supposed to earn the fruits of our labor from the beginning and that's what they do. A part of these fruits will be used to advance technologies of course but only again under the priority of accumulating more capital. That's just how it worls in capitalism.
>>
>>54491273
>Furthermore, tabulating machines are as relevant to the modern computers as wheelbarrows are to cars.

lol, you are retard
>>
>>54492244

Kewl
>>
>>54492233

And there are places today that don't have electricity, namely every nation who has spurned capitalism.

Let me ask you this. Why are people entitled to the money of others?

Margaret Thatcher said it best

>The problem with socialism is eventually you run out of other people's money

Now fuck off back to your commune, You filthy pinko
>>
>>54492284

The places that don't gave electricity are mostly countries that the US has either bombed, destabilized, or cut off from the international economy.

>the money of others

I've never understood this argument. Are you saying that government is bad? Are food stamps bad, but corporate tax credits good? Just what is "other people's money"? Tax rates for capital gains and the wsalthiest Americans is at a historic low, are we giving the wealthy everyone else's money? If we aren't allowed to tax the wealthy then who is left to pay for the infrastructure their businesses operate on?

The world is not as black and white as it may seem to a teenager.
>>
>>54492327

Oh, well the argument is based in the previous statement you made - that 10% of the people have 90% of the wealth. You advocate in changing that ratio, by illegally taking their money. Also you convieniently forget that these people are the job creators and in harming them you indirectly harm those who work for them and their subsidaries.

>world isn't as black and white as it appears to a teenager

Funny that most of the people advocating the redistribution of wealth are teenagers and the unemployed, huh?

If Bill Gates decides to give billions away to charity then it's a credit to him, if the government decides to take his money and give it to someone else at risk of imprisonment/fines it's theft.

So once again, Comrade, go and fuck yourself.
>>
>He doesn't use libreboot supported motherboards/laptops
>>
>>54492376

It's no coincidence that the equality of wealth is the way it is. The wealthy have benefited from a low minimum wage, low income tax, and agrreable regulations. In this manner, it was the government's favor that created the inequality, not the efforts of the wealthy. Simply reversing the tax rates back to 40% and raising the cap on Social Security to adjust for inflation would be a good start. "Trickle down economics" was a sham. It seems you're the only one who still believes it.

Actually, the majority of economists say that the current distribution of wealth is unhealthy for the economy, to say nothing of the effect that 1% owning 40% of a country has on a "democracy."

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_url?url=http://samples.sainsburysebooks.co.uk/9781134872800_sample_528352.pdf&hl=en&sa=X&scisig=AAGBfm3xIsonnnm7ouADyggn3Vr-0P__nA&nossl=1&oi=scholarr
>>
And isn't it wonderful?

The people who chose capitalism deserve capitalism.
Just like my uncle voting for our countries conservative party because "muh daggses :DDDD:DDD" who then went on to cut from the budget the subsidy that kept his small business afloat.

Genuinely not my problem.
>>
>>54492477

>in my opinion this socialist drivel will make life better for the lazy by giving them more of other people's money

The Gulag is calling you home, Comrade.
>>
>>54491309
>unironically arguing about pasta
>>
>>54492492

Remind me how has every instance of Communism worked out?

I forget, are they still going strong?
>>
>>54492516

At least you're gracious in your defeat.
>>
>>54492546

>communism is the only alternative to a "capitalist" economy where multinational corporations pay zero income tax and pay billions in brides ( er.... donations) to politicians

Remind me again who the government is supposed to serve... Oh, I forgot, corporations are people too.
>>
>>54492516
>Comrade
>>54492546
>Communism

how to spot the amerifagits
>>
>>54492547

I suppose that's better than being deluded into victory.
>>
>>54492578

>corporations are people

They genuinely are, and more deserving than most lazy jobless lay-abouts who claim food stamps and benefits.
>>
File: di_05812.jpg (73 KB, 500x393) Image search: [Google]
di_05812.jpg
73 KB, 500x393
>>54492612

>they genuinely are

HE FELL FOR IT
>>
>>54485941
>plz elaborate.
OK.

>have turned into mass surveillance-enabling, corporate-endorsed advertising and entertainment devices, dumbing down everyone's span of attention with 24/7 small instant gratifications.
That's true if you choose it to be. No one is stopping you from installing whatever OS works on your computer and using it for things other than consumption of entertainment

OP probably consumes the very media he hates and it leaves him feeling unfulfilled because he realizes he is wasting his time. He then blames "technology" and the ominous "they" for him being human.

>I blame American "culture". Well, it's far-fetched to call it a culture. It's more like a continuous stream of corporate products and trends based on neuromarketing that appeal to the lowest and most basic of human instincts. That means that it's not just Americans that quickly adopt these new trends, people abroad do too.
This is nothing new. People have been saying this from the 50s/60s. Free love movement, hippie counter-culture, flower children, woodstock, all people trying to smash the culture. Sadly, money = power, and the big media companies have all the money.

>For example, Japan has lost its unique feature-filled flip phones to iPhones.
Lol. So he thinks we have the wrong kind of phones?

>And as I said it doesn't only happen with technology: take music or cinema.
There's brilliant music and cinema coming out. It sucks that OP can't escape the Top40/Hollywood bubble and enjoy independent movies or music. Because of technology now everyone can make music in thei bedroom on a laptop with a cheap microphone. invest a couple of hundred and you could have an external sound card with a semi-pro microphone and make top-notch quality music. Bandcamp, soundcloud, etc. are filled with new artists making all kinds of music.
>>
>>54492580

>implying there's anything better than being an American citizen

How's that North Korean education working out for you?
>>
>>54492376
>implying tax-invectives create jobs
My government spent a few billions on that a few years ago, and guess what, our unemployment rate stayed the same and is still at an all-time low.
The annual account of the companies who benefited from this program was pretty good though that year.
>>
>>54482497
>dumbing down everyone's span of attention with 24/7 small instant gratifications.

I'm not affected by this.

So it's not the system, it's stupid people.
>>
>>54492635
contd. (2000 character limit, really?) What's next, 140?

Same with movies. Editing software is free/cheap and so is decent camera equipment. Get together with friends and make movies YOU want to see. Look at Michel Gondry bulding sets out of cardboard and special effects out of paper mache and is widely considered an artist. Sundance, Venice, SXSW, Motovun, (insert city name) Film Festivals are happening all over the place. You just have to look a bit harder because the "media" will promote big blockbusters because thats where the money is.

>Of course, people adopt it quickly and easily because it's designed to attract them. Blaming people for this is like blaming mice for being attracted to cheese. They can't help it, it's in their nature.
And yet he blames people for creating movies/music that appeal to this human nature. It's made by humans for humans...

>20 years ago, the internet was a place to explore and discover.
Oh man, if this kid only new. Explore and discover? The internet isn't a fucking continent. 20 years ago the internet was BBSes and chatrooms. Discovery was talking to others around the world (way cool!)

The internet is much larger now and there's so much to explore. That's only on the clearnet. You got meshnet/cjdns that have a whole internet overlayed on top of the clear one. You have TOR/onion network with a whole bunch of weird/cool/fucked up/interesting sites. If there was ever a 'golden age' of internet, this would be closer to it than 20 years ago. This is a case of "the good old days".

>A young kid could find fansites about their favorite cartoons, emulators for playing games, forums to discuss or just have fun with people from all around the world...
And you can't do this now? Wtf?
>>
>>54483278
>we should limit the freedom of smart people to protect dumb people

Literally communism.
>>
>>54492612
>implying a lot of corporations owners aren't lazy pieces of shit that sell the work other people create for them, thanks to mommy and daddy's trust fund.
>>
>>54483717
Yeah the USSR is thriving and kicking our ass at the moment, right?

>b-b-but capitalism killed the USSR

Because socialism is inferior to capitalism.
>>
>>54492686
contd.

>nowadays if I let my child browse the internet from a small age he'd just end up addicted to social media and possibly with embarrassing content tied to his real name forever.
Yeah, because raising a child isn't easy. Your child will end up like that only if you raise him that way. I have no such fears for my child.

>And the worst part is that the downward trend isn't stopping anytime soon, if anything it's accelerating.
If everyone is affected, according to OP, then there's nowhere else to go. This is it. The way I see it the only way is up.

OP, create content. Try to be the driving force, a driver of change, not a backseat complainer.

>Adults are being effectively forced to use nonfree channels and forfeit their privacy in order to interact with governments, companies or the labor market.
Blah blah blah. There are ways to protect your provacy. Sites collect only what you allow them to connect. There are privacy-conscious alternatives like diaspora, or hosting your own website, but there aren't that many friends/users available as there are on Facebook so you don't want to use them.

>We truly live in dark times.
This is an amazing time to be alive. There is so many possibilities. We are on the cusp of global change. It can go either way and it is exciting. Posting shit like this on imageboards isn't helping anybody.

And if you continue to complain, rather than try to do something we really are lost.
>>
>>54492131
Are you implying wolf packs are a better system than capitalism
>>
>>54492722
Are you Joseph McCarthy's ghost ?
You know, there are more political ideologies than neoliberalism, anarcho-capitalism and authoritarian Leninist shit (that some called state-capitalism like the Situationists).
For example, social-democracy, Keynesianism, market socialism, left-libertarianism...
>>
>>54492793

McCarthy did nothing wrong. The government was full of communists, he purged them.

Fuck off to Cuba is you don't agree, you fucking cuck.
>>
support the electronic frontier foundation, open rights group and free software foundation.

i don't necesarily think capitalism 'hijacked' the technological revolution but i think that digital rights are very important and if we have none we will end up being enslaved by technology rather than empowered by it
>>
>>54492546
Well socialism works until people get greedy and vote for 'market reform'.

Communism hasn't been tried, and I personally wouldn't advocate it on a large scale until it has been.
>>
>muh taxation is theft
Top kek.

All rights are arbitrary.
If society decides to tax people like 90%, it's not like some magical god's gonna step down and be like "that ain't fair m8". There is no natural right to keep coloured paper you feel that you've "earnt".
But it works the other way too. If we decide to end welfare, that's just as fine. There is no natural right to have people give you coloured paper either.

Also, this thread has very little to do with technology (but so do most threads, so eh).
>>
>>54492846
I don't need to fuck off to Cuba, since I'm not American.
I'm enjoying right now the anal stimulation only a bunch of baguettes filled with camembert can provide me, which I bought with my government money :^)
>>
>I blame American "culture". Well, it's far-fetched to call it a culture. It's more like a continuous stream of corporate products and trends based on neuromarketing that appeal to the lowest and most basic of human instincts. That means that it's not just Americans that quickly adopt these new trends, people abroad do too.

>For example, Japan has lost its unique feature-filled flip phones to iPhones. And as I said it doesn't only happen with technology: take music or cinema. Contemporary French or German music are closer to Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga than to their own music from a few decades ago.
Its called globalization and yes its disgusting to see how people travel thousands of miles to remote locations only to seek the nearest starbucks and mcdonalds and take selfies there. American "culture" is literally killing actual cultures in the name of selfies, consumerism and a false pursue of happiness.
>>
>>54492862

>communism hasn't been tried

USSR, Mao's China, Pol Pots Cambodia and North Korea would all disagree.

>b...but they're not real communists

Why?
>>
>>54493012

It's our right as Americans to conquer as much of the world as we can. You're all just our fucking subsidiaries, don't like it, move to fucking Somalia.

Fucking communist faggots.
>>
This, it's disgusting. Being an American born Cuban American, I sometimes consider going to live there because of how sad this nation has become.
>>
>>54482463
You know he's right - normies ruined the net.
>>
>>54481023

>massive body of knowledge, learning about the world, other cultures, science...
I'm sorry what? Have you ever been on the internet? Have you ever been to wikipedia? Have you ever been to any of the niche sites people have made for whatever hobby you and that person happen to enjoy?

You don't have to listen to the media. You don't have to listen to Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga. You don't have to do what others do. You aren't being forced to do anything you don't want to do. You can willfully decline any agreement between you and another entity. Nothing is forced upon you, but rather you have a negative attitude towards being influenced by the media, because instead of being like those of us who just ignore it and move on with our lives, you instead drone on and on about it, making mountains out of mole hills.

The internet has evolved in ways unimaginable from it's intended purpose which was military communications channels. Whatever happened between what it was and what it is now was 99% the will of the users. It just so happens that you don't like what everybody else likes.
>>
>>54485233
BECAUSE IF EVERYBODY GOES THEN ITS WORTHLESS YOU FUCKING DUMBASS

HAVE YOU EVER READ "STARS UPON THARS" BY DR. SUESS?
>>
File: 31677_b.png (159 KB, 610x624) Image search: [Google]
31677_b.png
159 KB, 610x624
The problem is corporate consolidation across the board in almost every sector of the economy. There's no diversity of ideas anymore.

It's why everything feels the same in the media and entertainment. All the biases and opinions across news media are the same, all the TV shows and movies are the same recycled garbage, all of the mainstream music industry essentially sounds the same, etc.

In the field of technology, it's why smartphones all look the same, tablets all look the same, laptops all look the same, monitors all look the same, etc.
>>
>>54482406
FTP
DCC(IRC)
Newsgroups

NES roms are a smaller size than most PC game demos that would have been distributed at that time (early to mid 90s)
>>
>>54493363
OH FUCK, now we're all smarter FOR NOTHING.
>>
You mean capitalism IS the technological revolution

I literally stopped reading at the title
>>
File: 1460402728361.png (226 KB, 416x312) Image search: [Google]
1460402728361.png
226 KB, 416x312
Daily reminder that you can't be pro-software freedom and pro-capitalism at the same time.
>>
>>54483018
>However, any new OS needs to be terminal-oriented if it's to be anything more than a toy.

what is this the 60s?
>>
>>54493497
>college makes you smarter
No you faggot
Take a look at the nation debt AND the average American's private debt. Now look at the employment rate. Now look at the youth employment rate. Now tell me it's a good idea to pay for EVERYONE to go to college and to push off the entryway to the job market to 22 years old for literally everyone

Oh right, that won't matter because everyone will be making $15 an hour :^)

I almost hope socialism destroys our economy just so when the civil war happens we get to murder you
>>
>>54485233
Nobody is ok with the tuition. Nobody.
>>
>>54493506
Well government meddling in software would be even worse. Better to have a free market where you have all the proprietary software companies doing their thing and all of the FOSS people doing their own thing and nobody fucking with each other.

The moment you introduce government into the mix, that's the day software dies, both proprietary and FOSS.
>>
>>54493549
>No
A master's degree in mathematics or such will definitely teach you to learn, make you view the world differently and be occasionally useful.
>everyone will be making $15 an hour
This is not related.
>we get to murder you
I'm not American.
>>
>>54493635
>I'm not American
Then the chance of us killing you is even higher
>>
friendly reminder that you are in fact all arguing about copypasta.
>>
>>54493625
>The moment you introduce government into the mix, that's the day software dies, both proprietary and FOSS.
Total bullshit.

You realize government is already involved in software, right? Is software "dead" (whatever the fuck that means) now?
>>
>>54493679
And what's government doing in software? Demanding more and more malicious backdoors and digital prisons, more than corporations already put into proprietary software by the time the whole NSA fiasco was revealed.
>>
>>54493713
Don't forget about GPL enforcement. Oh, wait...
>>
>>54493231
They are communists, but what they did was socialism. Socialism is a stepping stone to Communism, but it isn't itself Communism.

And to a pretty reasonable extent, Soviet backed societies did work, particularly post Stalin. It wasn't literally paradise on earth, but people ate, worked and lived. In East Germany, for example, the average wage bought more in consumer goods than the average wage in the United Kingdom at the same time.

Societies that were backed by the Chinese (like Cambodia) had more than socialism going against them (like Mao's hatred of industrialisation).
Even factoring that in, until the fall of the Soviet Union, North Korea had a better economy and faster development than their southern neighbours. It still has better living conditions to many South East Asian countries.
>>
>>54481023
Your spelling "communism" wrong it's not spelled "capitalism"
>>
>>54493347
>>>54481023 (OP)
>>You aren't being forced to do anything you don't want to do. You can willfully decline any agreement between you and another entity. Nothing is forced upon you, but rather you have a negative attitude towards being influenced by the media, because instead of being like those of us who just ignore it and move on with our lives, you instead drone on and on about it, making mountains out of mole hills.

Except the IRS if you refuse to simply communicate with them they will imprison you essentially destroying your life
>>
>>54483302
You are wrong, machines should work on low level concepts. That's why they are fast and so much is possible. If CPU was to handle high level programming stuff, shit would be slow as hell and require awful amount of hacks to get a lot of things, simple on current CPUs, working at all.

And no, complexity of current computing does not come from hardware architectures. If anything, it comes from legacy ways of doing things (think UNIX).

>>54483357
>RISCV
Just no. It's shit and is unusable beyond teaching. Even x86 is better than it (though it got its own drawbacks; I'm also not talking about x86_64 which is failure). On hardware the most important is performance. CISC allows for multiple ways of optimization. Even if some complex operations were internally implemented by translation to sequence of simple instructions on some CPU, the newer models benefit from ability of hardware optimizations for particular tasks and all software using these instructions gets faster without the need of porting and recompiling.

Intel already got problem of making computing faster. Lowering manufacturing process and increasing frequency is no longer possible with gains as high as in 2004 (90nm, Pentium 4) or even 2012 (22nm, Ivy Bridge).

>>54483399
No, this will only worsen the current state of software. Place for simplification is in programming languages, not hardware architectures.
Notice we still are mainly using C on all architectures. I think I can risk saying we use it exclusively for software interfacing with hardware.

Besides that, problem comes from most programmers' ignorance on technology. Most of current software is being made by code monkeys, not engineers or at least competent people,.
>>
>>54493625

>he unironically used the term "free market"

Opinion Descarted.
>>
>>54481023
>what is globalization
>>
>>54481023
What you are describing seems to have less to do with actual captalism and more with the USA using captalism to ensure it's superfluous dominance.
>>
>>54495744
Of course, most of USA doesn't benefit, just a few kikes at the top.
>>
The majority of people are stupid. Stupid people have money and capitalism exploits this.

Capitalism is as much to blame for current society as hurricane katrina was for the flooding of new orleans
>>
>>54493961
Indeed, saying Stalinist socialism was communism just because they called it "communism" is silly, it's like saying Hitler defended socialism just because it was called "Nacional Socialism".
>>
>>54495757
yes, that's what i mean, nothing againts the country itself, but the government keeps medling in other countries and cultures affairs in the most invasive ways, and captalism is a pretty effective weapon when you want to people bow to your culture without even knowing it.
>>
>>54492612
Well spoken, like a true corporate semen gargling dick sucker.
>>
>>54492237
>All the technologies in capitalist societies can only exist by default under one supreme priority which is the accumulation of capital.
>We were never supposed to be working less and getting paid more than it cost to live.
>yeah i googled this guy friedman once and read his wikipedia page
>>
>>54491314
Margaret is my waifu
>>
>>54481023
>20 years ago, the internet was a place to explore and discover. A young kid could find fansites about their favorite cartoons, emulators for playing games,

Sorry, what fansites and what game emulators were around in 1996?

20 years ago, the Internet sucked. Usenet newsgroups were pretty good, but the Web was pretty awful. Ugly, search engines were terrible, and we were heading into the "push" years where "content creators" wanted the ability to "push" notifications and data to you, i.e. forced advertisement.

1996 was about the time that I first saw a URL in a movie trailer. The sites were practically useless, barely eye candy with the primitive tech of the time.

So, after "push" came the Flash years. You'd find something in an online catalog and want to send a link to it, but you couldn't, because the whole fucking thing was a Flash 'movie'. Web sites had idiotic intro screens. Why? Because the website was built to please the people paying for it, so it was useless, masturbatory bullshit.

The Internet today is an immeasurably greater place for discovery, learning, and connecting. Just because some of the really mainstream stuff has degraded into commoditizing you doesn't mean everything is now somehow evil, or less useful than this magical, nostalgic, nonexistent 1996 of yours.
>>
>>54483031
>but is an incredibly bleak feel to live in it.

You don't live in Cyberpunk by any stretch of the imagination! Seriously, what the fuck. I refuse to believe you've even ready any Cyberpunk if you think you're anywhere near living it.
>>
>>54481023
>making themselves better people
And what are these 'better people' expected to do?
>>
I just want to thank OP for this rare chance of interesting discussion.
I have been visiting /g/ for a couple of months and never seen anything like this before.
>>
>>54492629
Governments are people too
>>
File: IMG_20160511_121029.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_121029.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>I don't see the issue.
>>
>>54481023
>he thinks it's capitalism
It's memes, it's always the memes.
The stronger ones survive and the weaker ones disappear; compare it to the iphone vs. flip-phone struggle you said in your post, in the end flip-phones proved weaker than the iphone.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.